PW Starts to run when turn winding stem

Streetsnake

Feb 28, 2021
Country
Hi all, I recently picked up a Waltham PW. I just received it and took a quick look. The roller jewel was sitting outside the pallet fork, so fixed that. It was fully wound. I gave it a gentle shake and it would run for a couple of seconds then stop. When I turn the winding stem with the crown (to wind the watch), although it was fully wound, when i turned it to try to wind the watch, and it would not, it started to run. This is odd to me and being a newbie, I haven't seen this before. I'm sure I didn't explain this well. Basically, when I took the pressure off of the winding gear, it would run??

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
With the watch fully wound you are actually adding more power by turning the stem as if to wind it. This suggests you have not corrected all of the problems the watch has. There must be a reason the impulse jewel was outside the fork. A previous tinkerer? Maybe the movement is dirty and that’s why it will only run with extra power. Maybe the balance is very “out of beat”. Please post some pictures of what you have.

Streetsnake

Feb 28, 2021
Country
With the watch fully wound you are actually adding more power by turning the stem as if to wind it. This suggests you have not corrected all of the problems the watch has. There must be a reason the impulse jewel was outside the fork. A previous tinkerer? Maybe the movement is dirty and that’s why it will only run with extra power. Maybe the balance is very “out of beat”. Please post some pictures of what you have.
Thank you for that. I didn't realize I was adding more power. Hmm. Hopefully after it is fully disassembled and cleaned it'll start right up. Here's to hoping. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fed1984
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre