Putting a Seth Thomas back together again

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by f.webster, Sep 13, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. f.webster

f.webster Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Male
    Service/Restoration of Clocks and Mechanical Music
    Louisville, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is a 16 inch tall, eight day, Seth Thomas Kitchen clock. I found it in/on Tran's book from the 1863 - 1875 Seth Thomas Mantel Clocks. I don't know what face belongs on it. I don't believe the flat paper dial on cardboard dial and pan that was on it is original. What should it look like? Images show what I found... I would like to put it together correctly. Is the lower glass correct?

20180912_151214.jpg 20180912_151153.jpg

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would call this clock a Cottage clock. The face would be most likely a sheet metal dial, painted white with numerals on it. Tran's book should give you a good idea of how it looked like.. Dials show up frequently on ebay, however it won't be easy to find one with the correct dimension and the correct locations of the holes for the winding arbors and the hands. I can't tell if the lower glass is correct. A picture of the back of the glass would help. Are there any signs that it was ever replaced, like damaged wood strips that hold the glass?

Uhralt

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The dial will look similar to this one, but without the seconds area. You can drill holes, but it requires precision and care so the paint is not damaged.
    There are other examples in the other thread you posted to ;)

4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Actually, the entries in Tran refer to this style of clock as O.G. Kitchen, and that I presume is where the OP got the term "Kitchen." They are not true OG's inasmuch as they don't have the OG moulding. They are more of a bevel-edge clock but are often referred to as OG's.

It would be interesting to see the dial that came with the clock.

5. f.webster

Dec 18, 2009
    Male
    Louisville, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As best I can measure, the dial is seven inches square with a 5 1/2 in dial ring. I see that Timesavers has one. Thanks Shutterbug...but I thin a 12 inch dial would bee too big for this 16 inch tall clock.

6. f.webster

Dec 18, 2009
    Male
    Louisville, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is an image showing the back of the lower panel glass

20180914_085423.jpg

7. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The wood strip that holds the glass on the left hand side appears to be broken at the lower nail. So it seems that the glass has been removed at some point in time in the past. The glass looks old, however. Maybe it was removed only to clean the case or it was replaced with another old glass. Hard to tell.

Uhralt

8. f.webster

Dec 18, 2009
    Male
    Louisville, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have looked through the books I have and searched for this glass pattern. I will continue a search.

I think the original dial might have been flat metal. I don't thing it was as the larger ogee dials with the raised ring.

I am going to do some veneer repair and restoration.

I'll keep the message board posted

9. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    My goodness.

This is a fairly common clock of which many examples can be found for comparison.

Take a look at Tran's book to see what it should look like. There are examples currently posted on eBay as well.

RE: the dial. It is metal with a white painted background and black Roman numerals on a raised chapter ring.

ST used these transfer decorated tablets on their later clocks of a number of styles. I have had similar clocks with tablets decorated in a similar fashion with flowers, fruits, a winsome lass and so on.

Clearly someone slathered the back with black paint probably to correct flaking. You can see where they slopped in on the wood retaining strips.

RM