Purposely mistiming clocks?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Elliott Wolin, Jun 24, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Elliott Wolin

Elliott Wolin Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2019
    Male
    Retired
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I usually aim to get my clocks all perfectly timed, but this created a problem. I found that when two chiming clocks chimed at the same time and I could hear them both, the resulting sound was discordant and annoying. So I purposely set one to be a bit early and the other a bit late. Now each one happily chimes by itself, albeit not perfectly on time.

Am I the only person who does this?

2. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 Isaac, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Nope, I have a chiming clock collection and I usually set the time slightly off so that way the chimes don't clash. Sometimes I also silence most of the clocks (depending on the day, I might switch others on and off)

3. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Some time ago the Church clock at Ayot St Peter Hertfordshire UK was easier to to move forward than back so the Church Warden set it run a couple of minutes a day slow
    It had to be wound every 48 hours so it did not make much difference
    Mistiming clocks applies to all types of clock

4. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    During recent times I have set my musical longcase clock a fraction early - I am in so many online meetings for work, and I find that these usually end a bit early so people can jump to the next one - by setting the clock to chime in these gaps between online meetings, i don't have to mute myself so often..

I can't imagine what it would be like if we held our club sessions online, the discordant noise you'd get every 15 mins or so...

PatH likes this.
  5. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When I have multiple clocks running for testing in the shop, I set those that strike on a different hour and a couple minutes off so that I can tell which clock is striking and listen to the individually. In my house I keep them all the same, but silence all but one. For those without a silent function I slip a piece of felt into the gong or chime rods so that they chime and strike, but very quietly. My wife has her favorite, so that one gets the honors.

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    With mechanical clocks, this issue won't be consistent over too many days. It's VERY rare for mechanical chiming and striking clocks to run that accurately ;) Just be patient .... it will take care of itself.

7. kologha

kologha Registered User

Dec 11, 2011
    Retired Production Engineer, Nissan SA Motor Con
    Eastern Cape SA
    Country Flag:
    I have five chiming & striking clocks and they are set to chime starting at 5 minutes before the hour for the first one and the last one chimes at 5 minutes past the hour. I love listening to them especially when I wake up during the night and can hear what time it is. When I have clients clocks waiting to be returned I normally put them about 10 minutes off.