Punch mark question

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Audemars, Apr 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check it out in the NAWCC Events forum:
    Talk about the upcoming National Meeting
    If you love watches or clocks you've got to come!
  1. Audemars

Audemars Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 6, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Somerset, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is this the Neuchatel mark?
    Chevron shield.jpg
    And if so, why might it appear in the case of an - alleged - Louis Audemars watch?
    Paul

2. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    It is indeed the Neuchatel assay mark (referred to as the "chevron"), which represents 18 carat gold (and I believe .925 silver). It simply indicates that the case was assayed in Neuchatel rather than the Swiss national assay office (which used the head of Helvetia and the grouse marks). That in turn would suggest that the case may have been made in the canton of Neuchatel, which for example includes La Chaux de Fonds.

3. John Matthews

John Matthews Registered User

Sep 22, 2015
    Retired Systems Architect
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Paul/Martin - this is my understanding ..

The Chevron was the hallmark used at Neuchâtel from the 1700's until the 1880's. The added word "argent" would distinguish the metal used as silver (obviously) in opposition to the stand-alone Chevron which would indicate 18k gold. The minimum fineness for silver from Neuchâtel was 812.5/1000 for many, many years. The Chevron hallmark was merely superceded in 1881/1882 when the Swiss Federal Government assumed control of hallmarking from the Cantons.

I didn't think that the Helvetia was introduced until the metal act of December 1880, prior to that I thought each Canton/City had various unique marks.

upload_2019-4-22_12-45-9.png
    With the 'x' a town letter as ...

upload_2019-4-22_12-46-38.png

John

4. Audemars

Audemars Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 6, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Somerset, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you, gentlemen.
    That's very helpful.
    Paul

5. eri231

eri231 Registered User

Jan 13, 2012
    Male
    torino italy
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    the one in the picture is the mark for gold. while for silver it is slightly larger and the word "ARGENT" below.
    regards enrico

swiss.jpg

6. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    John, thanks for that explanation.

The Neuchatel chevron is well-known and seems to appear quite frequently, but I have never seen an assay mark for any other canton. Did others exist?

Also, I have never seen a canton letter associated with the Helvetia head ... or have I just not noticed it? Would it appear immediately under the Helvetia, or might I have mistaken a letter for a jointer's mark?

7. John Matthews

John Matthews Registered User

Sep 22, 2015
    Retired Systems Architect
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Martin,

As you know I have limited experience with gold cases but this is from the Swiss section of Markham's Foreign Marks on Gold & Silver Plate

upload_2019-4-22_16-20-30.png

I don't have a gold example of the town letter but here is an example in silver which was stamped in a similar manner.

'n' - Le Noirmont on 935 silver

upload_2019-4-22_16-24-49.png

John