Providing accurate information.

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, Feb 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check it out in the NAWCC Events forum:
    Talk about the upcoming National Meeting
    If you love watches or clocks you've got to come!
  1. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    People turn to the MB seeking info about various aspects of horology. The onus is upon those who respond to those inquiries to provide info that is as accurate as possible. It’s one of the honors & yes privileges of participation. More so as our site is rather specialize and thus special & somewhat unique in that regard.

Most respondents accept that responsibility well. Yes, sometimes misstatements or errors are made (l’m certainly no stranger to that). It’s an important part of the learning process for all involved to accept when an issue is raised or correction is suggested. It’s okay not to know something. It’s not to confabulate.

What does a great disservice to all is when inaccurate information is perpetuated and doggedly insisted upon. That’s especially problematic in the days of the internet when this info tends to be perpetuated.

RM

2. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    I think that is what we call "banging a drum" ;)

The reality is that none of us knows anything with certainty .... especially in the context of this message board. There is no such thing as "accurate information", there is only our personal assessment of all the information we have read, which of it we do and do not believe, and willingness to believe that there is no further information to be had.

Accuracy? Pah! :p

Freeloader likes this.
  3. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Agreed. No one is always right.

What prompted this beating of the tom-toms was blatantly inaccurate info & the inability of the poster to accept that.

So really more about intellectual honesty.

RM

4. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think it would be fair to say that everone, who posts on here, honestly believes that what they are saying is correct
    We all make mistakes, I know I have

Freeloader likes this.
  5. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I agree on most points.

Boy oh boy have I made my share of misstatements. And I will try to be contrite. If I don’t agree, I will try to present contrary evidence.

Yes I’m sure many times there is the belief that those statements were accurate (though sometimes I wonder).

Unfortunately, this thread was prompted by some absurd statements by someone prone to such presented as fact to people who know even less but were seeking knowledge. When a correction was suggested the source of the absurdity persisted in maintaining their veracity.

That goes beyond just a “whoops” & an honest mistake.

Sadly, not unusual.

RM

6. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Since I mostly deal with the back end, I do not follow the reported posts forum in the moderators private discussion area. However, we do have enough expertise and research capability that we can check out deliberate falsehoods and take care of correcting the situation in so far as possible.

7. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    #7 rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    I didn't report them and won't in the future.

I would prefer to respond myself.

Others have done the same when inaccuracies are placed in threads. The responses in those cases were by people I would consider learned and thoughtful and they represented good teachable moments. I feel they were done in a respectful manner, too.

That's how the MB can self police and self regulate when a responsible membership participates.

RM

8. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    The exchange that prompted this thread comprised differences of opinion on a specific issue. There was no evidence of a deliberate falsehood (though some might say that some fool moderator's back story stretched the limits of the truth:rolleyes:). All in all there was no need for moderator intervention, especially since the exchange did not turn vitriolic.

Freeloader likes this.
  9. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I did not mean to argue against community pressure as the best way to achieve truth. I took the quote above to be saying that some person was deliberately lying and doubling down on the lie. I was describing a way for members who do not want to confront aggressors to take action.

10. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thank you.

RM

11. NTimken

NTimken Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    Attorney
    Queens, New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I bought TurboTax. I had a new tax issue (especially this year when the laws changed), and asked on their community help forum how it should be handled.
    I was told that startup costs could not be deductible unless there was passive income.
    That meant I had no deduction at all this year, not even depreciation.

About a week or two later, I got yet another opinion.
    I should add the startup costs to the cost of the property and depreciate it.
    This would give me a deduction, albeit small, for this year.

Two diametrically different opinions. On a site where people come for definitive information on how to do their taxes.
    It isn't a hobby site- this is real dollars and cents that we are dealing with.

Did I decry the lack of accuracy? Accuse either of the posters of posting false or incorrect information on the forum? No.
    Each of them had their own opinion, and were entitled to it. Neither were trying to post false information.

Instead, I scheduled an appointment with a tax expert, a CPA. He will be the final arbiter of what I can or cannot do.
    I think both situations are similar. Don't take anything you read on the internet as Gospel.
    Do your own investigation. Hire an expert or professional.
    Don't judge - it places a chilling effect on people's willingness to give an opinion.

12. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I understand what you are saying but I feel it's a bit of the apples to oranges comparison.

What was being responded to was not the interpretation of say a tax statute or law or an opinion but erroneous statements presented as irrefutable fact. That's problematic as was the bad advice you received about your taxes.

In this instance, a judgement was not made. A correction was suggested.

Yes, I think it was important to bring it up as people turn to us for accuracy.

I'm sorry if you don't agree but that's your right.

RM

13. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have no idea what prompted this thread.
    However, I believe this site in the future will be used for reference.
    I have always felt obligated to give accurate information as I know it, regarding any questions asked of clocks.
    There are times I am not sure, and I withhold comment. There are times I'm fairly sure, and comment. I do not want to imply I know everything, because I certainly don't.
    I sometimes wish other folks would withhold comment if they don't know the answer to a question. It's OK not to know. I feel it's a disservice to give inaccurate information. Comments should be made as if other people will read the comment as a reference point. That's a privilege.