Protective case for Hamilton 946?

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Spartcom5, Apr 15, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Spartcom5

Spartcom5 Registered User

Feb 1, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I just had a quick question! This is the crown jewel of my collection and I was wondering if there are any pocket watch protective cases out there on the market to help keep my pocket watch safe? Even the factory case it originally came in would be awesome but probably impossible to find... Thoughts?
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    #2 musicguy, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    Are you talking about when it's in your pocket? For example like a
    cell phone protective case? So if you drop or bump it, it's still OK?

Or, are you looking for a storage box for when you want to store it in a
    safe place?

Rob

3. John Cote

John Cote Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    This watch came from the factory as a movement with dial and hands only...so it probably came in a movement tin. You can buy drawstring bags to keep watches in...is something like this what you are talking about?

4. River rat

River rat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    #4 River rat, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    Here is a vintage carrying case you put on your belt I saw on EBay
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RAIL-MASTER-RAILROAD-POCKET-WATCH-WITH-KAYANES-NO-30-BLACK-LEATHER-CASE-/172579331193?hash=item282e879c79:g:IKwAAOSwuLZYy3mu

There was a internet site years ago I found that made new ones but can't find it. But vintage ones are better any way. I remember when the local bus driver carried his watch in one of these probably why I wanted one.
    To bad this is sold out but is this the type your looking for I mite have to contact this guy to find out when there back in.
    https://www.thepocketwatchguy.com/high-quality-carrying-case-and-display-case-for-40-pocket-watches-with-custom-foam-inserts-and-a-key-lock-for-the-best-protection

5. Larry Treiman

Larry Treiman Registered User

Jan 18, 2009
    Tired and retired!
    So. Calif.
    Back in the late 1960s when I first got into the watch hobby I bought one of those leather watch holders from a Los Angeles watchmaker who was an authorized watch inspector for the local transit authority as well as two of the three mainline railroads, and also sold me some collectible pocket watches that he took in as trade-ins for railroad/transit-approved wrist watches. I used it occasionally when going to railfan and trolleyfan (and, yes....even a few bus enthusiast) activities where I didn't mind being a bit conspicuous! <];>)

I would not recommend one of those to Spartcom to protect the Hamilton 946 or any other "crown jewel" in his (or anybody's) watch collection. I believe that a watch is probably more vulnerable in one of those belt holders than it would be in a decent watch pocket. When carried in a watch pocket it should be worn with the crystal facing the user's body, which tends to cushion it against shock; by the way, that's an excuse for not getting too skinny! With the belt-style watch holder, the watch face/crystal has to face away from the body.

When I wear mine, I make sure to use a railroad watch "wannabe" fitted with a plastic crystal. Also, many railroad watches and all trolley watches were not adjusted to the sixth position (pendant-down) and would require special adjustment if they were to spend their "work-day" hanging upside-down in a belt holder.

Besides, those watch holders only came in 16-size as far as I know, unless they could be custom-made in 18-size, which likely would have been prohibitively expensive. The 18-size watches had fallen out of favor for general use long before the 1930s when the "modern" high-capacity diesel buses (or "stink-buggies" as some trolley nutz liked to call 'em) that could replace the non-polluting trolleys.

There were also some leather pouches to wear on the belt, some perhaps custom-made, for those of us who wanted to have one of our prized watches with us at all times, perhaps as a security blanket, yet didn't want to pay to have a tailor put a watch pocket in our trousers. The local watch inspector had some of those, so I bought one also, thinking that the stiff leather might offer some protection. However,I soon discovered that it scratched the watch cases, so I had to line it with soft chamois.

My final solution?? I finally decided that the bank safe-deposit vault for most of my watches was the safest solution, albeit probably not the perfect solution! Besides, I am no longer actively acquiring watches and have revived some of my earlier (and far less expensive) collecting interests, most of which are transportation oriented and don't require a safe-deposit box for safekeeping. <]:>)

Larry Treiman

6. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is a photo that my brother Larry took of one of his favorite bus drivers, with his watch in one of these belt carriers. You can see how exposed the watch is to potential damage. These were worn for convenience of use, not protection.
    busdriver.jpg

7. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That sounds like the jeweler's favorite accessory to sell. The watch does not keep time, so is often back in for service and it is liable to get a broken crystal for a few more bucks. :)

8. rolandantrobus

rolandantrobus Registered User

May 17, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I keep each of mine in a hand made soft leather pouch for storage but I am extremely careful having once, many years ago, had one slip out of an ill fitting pouch and fall on the floor. You will only let this happen once!

9. Larry Treiman

Larry Treiman Registered User

Jan 18, 2009
    Tired and retired!
    So. Calif.

Cynic!!!<];>)

I neglected to mention that there was a related holder for pocket watches that had a strap for wearing on the wrist like a wrist watch. While it is not a good practice to wear a pocket watch on the wrist or use a p/w movement in a wrist watch case due to the risk of poor timekeeping or damage, it would have been better from a safety point-of-view since the bus driver would not have to take his hand off the steering wheel or his eye off the road to check the time, as was necessary with the belt-hung holder.

Besides, the bus driver or operator of the modern P.C.C. streetcar spent most of the work day safely ensconced in a comfortable (and adjustable) seat, where there was little opportunity to bash the watch into desks, tables, or doors!

The acceptance and subsequent popularity of the approved wristwatch solved the problem as far as most transit and railroad workers were concerned, though some did profess a preference for the good old reliable pocket watches for various reasons.

However, the great accuracy, reliability and convenience of the railroad-approved quartz wrist timepieces, combined with the fact that after the c.1969 discontinuance of the Hamilton 992B, there were no new railroad pocket watches being made, made this subject rather moot. And it made many older pocket watches that were traded in available for collectors like me.

Thanks, Jerry, for posting that photo (c.1956) of the bus driver, who wore badge No. 1 of the Santa Monica Municipal Bus Line. The bus assigned to our Uni High "school tripper" epitomized the term "stink-buggy"; its big, old White 12-cylinder, pancake, under-floor gasoline engine filled the bus with fumes. But with #1 driver B.J. "Pappy" Yokum at the wheel, that baby could really MOOOOVE, which helped disperse the fumes, and got us home quickly and in one piece.

Larry Treiman

10. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Great photo (and story behind it).

Do you brothers live near each other?

Rob

11. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User