Proposal: Set up and provide an Internet Cost Analysis

Discussion in 'Archived Threads' started by kirxklox, Jan 20, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Request that the NAWCC do a complete cost analysis for the Internet and use the various recommended programs that are being discussed on IAC. Make RFPs and RFQs that reflect the NAWCC needs for services.

2. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This should include IT and saleries of designated employees.

3. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 kirxklox, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  4. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just for a little background on this, I did not receive any input on what was needed for this RFQ. I discussed the projected needs of a Non-Profit organization and what Projects were being looked at.

1) Horology - The Index
    2) Library On-Line
    3) Bulletins {for members only}
    4) Auctions, Personal Ads, & Business Ads
    5) Interactive Programming { Message Boards, CMS, ETAL}
    6) Search Engines
    7) Spot-a-Clock
    8) Mirrors
    9) Storage CLOUDS {$0.40 per GB}
    10) Front End and Back End Connectivity
    11) Reseller Accounts for Horological Web Sites
    12) Scalability

One of the things I did prior to discussing this system was to take and project the Cost of what we are doing today. 220 GB at $169 to 40 TB. That Cost would be $~37,000 one unit at a time!

Until we have something on this scale, we will be playing games. We will constantly run into bottlenecks and Dead Ends. This is the BACKBONE of what is needed. NOW

5. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Registered User

Nov 29, 2000
    Manager of Engineering Programs
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sam, per your request I will work up a quote to show how much it would cost to buy a comparable HP server and storage combination, and possibly even show some alternative configurations that might be less expensive. Based on a preliminary analysis, it looks like we'll save a LOT of money buying the hardware outright (with a service contract) and simply finding a way of housing the hardware and giving it a fast pipe to the Internet.

- Greg

6. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As long as it Walks the Walk and Dances! It does not need to do the dishes!

7. Greg Davis

Nov 29, 2000
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've done as close to apples to apples as I can get. The system configured for you was a relatively old Dell box and attached storage box.

When configuring the comparable, here are the differences:

1) The Dell system uses 100MB ethernet. The HP system has dual Gigabit NICs.

2) The Dell storage array has 45 drive slots, and the HP system has 25. However, initially you'll only be using a handful of slots anyway (4 - 5), so the extra capacity is really not needed until you begin to expand. You can add more storage arrays later if needed. No sense in paying for expansion capacity until you need it.

3) The Dell configuration used drives rated at 7200 rpm, the HP system uses drives rated at 10,000 rpm. I don't know what size the Dell drives are, but I used the 300GB drives in the HP comparable, so you only needed 4 drives in RAID 5 to get to 1TB, leaving 21 drive bays for future expansion.

4) No mention of hardware supoport agreement for the Dell configuration. The HP comes with 3 year warranty and 1 day turn around.

5) Red Hat Enterprise Linux is included free with the Dell box, but you pay $50 for the media on the HP box.

6) Included in the HP configuration (but not mentioned in the Dell configuration) is a rack monitor/keyboard unit and a DVD drive to allow you to use the OS media.

The total cost of the HP box the way I configured it was about $9200. One third of that is for the server, the remainder for the storage array. The cost could be lowered by reducing the number of unused slots in the storage array, but I wanted to leave room for expansion.

Also, if I was configuring the system in a more unfettered manner, I'd make some different configuration choices, but I wanted to give as close to a straight line comparison as possible for the purpose of this analysis. I've attached the spreadsheet for your review.

All this goes to say that if you can provide your own equipment, you can save money over leasing it, and get into a savings situation in less than a year.

- Greg

Attached Files:

8. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We still need cPanel / WHM.

$1,075 for 3 years with rduced cost for Non-Profits by request.

9. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The HDs that I quoted were 1TB each.

10. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The HDs I quoted were 5@ 1 TB and 1@ 250 GB.

11. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Colocate service is $149 per month with $149 Set-Up Fee for 1 Unit.

12. Greg Davis

Nov 29, 2000
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ah, I misread the quote.

Anyway, HP uses small form factor (SFF) SAS drives, and there are no 1TB drives in SFF at this time. 1TB drive are available in SATA, but are not yet supported in that storage enclosure.

- Greg

13. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Greg: The size of the single HD is not as important as the RAID 5 array is. As these HDs get larger and the price comes down we can add more as needed. This system is Scalable as it is built which is what was really needed.