Feature Policy Proposal: Editing of posts should be disallowed after there are responses.

Chris Radek

NAWCC Member
Apr 13, 2014
Lincoln, NE, USA
timeguy.com
Country
Hi all,

I don't like that posts can still be edited after there are subsequent posts.

Even when everyone is acting in good faith, it violates the reasonable expectation that the things in the thread happened in chronological order, and this is bad for communication and comprehension. When someone makes substantive changes to an earlier post, it often causes later posts in the thread to make less or no sense. It would be better, if a poster wants to add or clarify something, if they would just make a new post at the end of the thread.

Worse, if someone is acting in bad faith, being fighty or wanting to make someone else look bad, editing what they said earlier can make a real mess of things. They can even wait until people "like" (add their "thumbs up" agreement) to the post, and then change the contents.

So, I propose that editing be disallowed as soon as someone "likes" the post, or a later post is made, whichever happens first.

Chris Radek

NAWCC Member
Apr 13, 2014
Lincoln, NE, USA
timeguy.com
Country
There was nothing to miss - I didn't suggest this because of a particular thing I saw today.

I believe you are right, that there's a certain time limit. If that's important, then I would propose that editing be disallowed as soon as someone "likes", or a later post is made, or the time expires.

But I'm not sure the time limit is needed; I suspect it was just an easy thing to implement.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
When someone makes substantive changes to an earlier post, it often causes later posts in the thread to make less or no sense.
If you reply to a post using the "Reply to Thread" feature at the lower right of the post, the exact (original) posting will show in your response. If the person to whom you reply decides to change / edit his original post, you will still have the original post by that person show in your response.

Regards.

Reactions: novicetimekeeper

John Matthews

NAWCC Member
Sep 22, 2015
France
Country
Region
So, I propose that editing be disallowed as soon as someone "likes" the post, or a later post is made, whichever happens first.
Chris I agree with your logic, however, this can sometimes happen unintentionally. I was recently typing a fairly lengthy post on one of the Committee forums where I was using a list and I wanted to add a note without moving to the next bullet. To do this you hit <shift> + <return>, unfortunately I hit <ctrl> + <return>, this generates the same code as POST REPLY. I was less than half way through the post and had further points to make. I therefore opened the post using edit to continue. Someone replied to the initial post before I had finished the continuance. I sent them a PM to explain.

John

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
then I would propose that editing be disallowed as soon as someone "likes", or a later post is made, or the time expires.
There are many good, legitimate reasons to edit one's posting, irrespective of whether it has been liked or replied to.

Your suggestion could be the equivalant to 'killing a fly with a sledgehammer'.

If you use the "Reply to Thread" function, then you at least have a visible trail of what was originally posted. :)

Regards.

Reactions: roughbarked

Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member
Jan 8, 2006
Pasadena, CA
Country
Region
While I am sympathetic to Chris' concerns, I think editing should be allowed without any time time. I often make the mistake of re-reading something I have posted, only to find embarrassing typos or other glitches that it is too late to correct.

S_Owsley

NAWCC Member
Jan 24, 2011
San Francisco
Country
Region
There was a recent post where the word silicon was confused with silicone and it irritated me to no end. I think a certain amount of editing is very useful.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
only to find embarrassing typos or other glitches that it is too late to correct.
I hate these too. Luckly, I have no time limit, but
if I edit one of my posts for content, I strike out
the wrong info like this.

Rob

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
I'm the first to admit that I'm a shocking typist. I always get a shock when I look back at the screen.
I'm not always at my best at fixing errors either.
Though since the internet started I've always had the policy that if it is only one typo left then they'll have to put up with it because I'd already been back and edited six others, six times.

Reactions: musicguy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
April
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-