Proper NAWCC website

Discussion in 'Message Board Help & Notices' started by ClipClock, Aug 27, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new home of the NAWCC Message Board
    We are glad to see you have found us Guest. If you like what you find here, please let your friends know about us.
  1. ClipClock

ClipClock Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2013
    I tried to go onto the main nawcc.org website today (on my tablet) and no matter what I click on, home page or using google to get to a sub section all that happens is I get some file that downloads ending in .svg. Any ideas whats going on?

I wanted to check the cost of my forthcoming membership renewal as I've been seeing people in the USA talking about $80 and I seem to recall my renewal was also $80 just for international, no frills, nothing mailed to me. Can this be right, I have no access to Chapters, education etc. I thought it was a lower cost for international internet only?

2. leeinv66

leeinv66 Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Mar 31, 2005
    I just looked at the main site and everything seems right from here. Here is the info you wanted Clip:

Individual Membership: $90/year (International Members add $24 postage fee for mailed Bulletin & MART)
    - Standard membership - Optional Associate memberships for family members - $20/year

• Individual Membership (with online publications only): $80/year
    - Standard member benefits (member does NOT receive paper copies of Bulletin & MART)

• Youth Membership: $20/year
    - 17 years of age or younger. Non-voting member benefits (does NOT receive paper copies of Bulletin & MART)

• Student Membership: $35/year
    - 18 years of age or over. Must be enrolled full-time at a college, university, trade school,
    horological school, or other higher education facility.
    - Standard member benefits (does NOT receive paper copies of Bulletin & MART)

• Introductory Membership: $30 (International Members add $12 postage fee for mailed Bulletin & MART)
    - Four month trial for first time members only. Includes mailed publications and access to online/archives.

• Brass Membership: $175/year (International Members add $24 postage fee for mailed Bulletin & MART)
    - Standard member benefits
    - One Associate membership
    - National donor reception
    - Level recognition button or pin

• Silver Membership: $300/year (International Members add $24 postage fee for mailed Bulletin & MART)

• Gold Membership: $550/year (International Members add $24 postage fee for mailed Bulletin & MART)
    - Recognition at national events and the museum

• Platinum Membership: $1,000/year (International Members add $24 postage fee for mailed Bulletin & MART)
    - Chairman’s event at national
    - Framed award or plaque
    - One NAWCC membership to give as a gift

• Ruby Membership: $2,500/year (International Members add $24 postage fee for mailed Bulletin & MART)
    - Framed award or plaque
    - Two NAWCC memberships to give as gifts

• Diamond Membership: $5,000/year (International Members add $24 postage fee for mailed Bulletin & MART)
    - Recognition plaque
    - Three NAWCC memberships to give as gifts

Amounts beyond the value of membership benefits will be credited as contributions.

Contributions may be designated to various Board approved funds by the member.

3. ClipClock

ClipClock Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Thanks Peter :)

I get this download when I go to nawcc.org (works fine on a laptop, just on Tablet)

Its not a biggie, last time I went on the nawcc main website was 12 months ago when I renewed my membership and it seems I can get to the payment section by following the link from the email they sent me. I guess I can always fire up the ageing laptop if I want to go there :)

4. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Sponsor NAWCC Member Donor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    The main web site is moving to a new "responsive design" web site, just like the new message board.

The staff will be back at work tomorrow and Markus may be available to comment on the .svg file.

You can visit the new version of the main site at https://new.nawcc.org. You may sometimes see strange things there because some design debugging facilities are active.

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    Sponsor NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    Realizing that the new site is still a work in progress, I saw no entry for the patent database. Is that going to be added?

6. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Some of the web sites for the NAWCC were located on my servers in the Boston area. I had a hardware disaster about a year ago and have been trying to get things rebuilt since then. With the help of Jerry Treiman, I managed to move the Waltham database to an NAWCC system. The patent database was located on my servers also and I plan to move it but that task has had a lower priority than this Message Board and has not yet been done. It never was located on the NAWCC main site.

Some of the urgency is relieved because the patent database is available on the Internet Archive at https://web.archive.org/web/20161123182439/http://www.nawcc-info.org:80/PatentDB/PatentData.htm. Many people are also using the Google Patent Database that provides a full text search of the old scanned images. That has some of the deficiencies that OCR scans introduce, but works fairly well.

7. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    Sponsor NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    Thanks for the Internet Archive link. If we were informed about it before, I missed it. On the other hand, I find it returns absolutely no results no matter what I search for. Small comfort. Do I need a magic spell of some sort?

Google Patents search engine is an extremely tiresome and badgered substitute.

Maybe Jerry can help you move the Patent Database to an NAWCC system. This has been going on for some time now, and it is an important research tool for both watch enthusiasts and clock enthusiasts.

8. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    #8 Tom McIntyre, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    The old site was written with Front Page and Access. It needs to be rewritten with PHP and MySQL. I suspect that job has to be done by me.

When it get redone, it will look a bit like the current Waltham Database.

The patents are filed by date, inventor(s), assignee(s) and keywords. All the searches return the Patent Number. The NAWCC's database of Swiss patent numbers will be included also.

A quick lookup of of U.S. Patents on the USPTO site is: