Proper Mainspring for Waltham 1883

BillyHelbender

Mar 16, 2022
Country
Can anyone tell me the proper part # or even better where I might find that type of information as well as maybe where to get one?

Thanks!

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Since the OP is asking about a MS for an '83 model, it should be the #2205. And the thickness/strength of the MS is dependent upon the number of jewels, and/or the grade of the watch. The higher the jewel count, the thinner the MS. Since the higher jewels in the '83 model were 15 and 17J, say in the Crescent St., Appleton Tracy, and perhaps P.S. Bartlett, they might take the thinnest. I'm not sure whether there were 11J models. If there were, they should take the middle thickness, with the 7 jewel models taking the thickest. It has to do with the necessity of torque for the amount of friction. Between your pivots and jewels, there is less friction than your pivots and metal/brass bushings. At least this is my understanding.

If you have a micrometer or old-style mainspring gauge, you should be able to match what comes out of the barrel. Of course this takes for granted that somebody over the past 140 years didn't use the wrong MS. I do remember looking for the thinner 2205 and not having an easy time of locating one. Good luck.

Reactions: John Runciman

BillyHelbender

Mar 16, 2022
Country
Thank you both!!! :D :D Great information! I'll save this chart Thanks!
My movement is 15 jewels but I can only find the middle strength springs. Did not know it made a difference and I'm glad I asked!! :) Will keep looking.

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
I wouldn't be afraid of using the 2205 of the medium thickness in a 15J watch. Like I said, the Dennison 2 1/2, or .215mm may not be easy to find. You might contact Daveswatchparts to see what he has. Maybe he'll have the thinner one? Good luck.

Reactions: BillyHelbender

BillyHelbender

Mar 16, 2022
Country
I wouldn't be afraid of using the 2205 of the medium thickness in a 15J watch. Like I said, the Dennison 2 1/2, or .215mm may not be easy to find. You might contact Daveswatchparts to see what he has. Maybe he'll have the thinner one? Good luck.
Thanks for that! I'll order a medium anyways and keep looking for the other. :) First thing I did was ask Dave. Normally I just email him and ask for a part and if he has it he sends it. The reason I had to ask which spring was right was cause he didn't have one. LOL! I'm still new so I haven't found a lot of resources to find what original part numbers are.
For Elgin I can use the Pocket Watch Database but it didn't seem to have the same feature for the Walthams.

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
If you ever buy, borrow, or steal a copy of the Chicago School of Watchmaking courses, you'll find some useful tables relating to mainsprings for American pocket watches.

Pocketwatchdatabase.com has a few different Waltham parts catalogs uploaded there. There is a 1909 Waltham materials catalog that would give you the MS numbers (Pg 25) for watches made prior to that year.

I see that PWDB has the 1940 catalog. It has the MS page as well.

Last edited:

BillyHelbender

Mar 16, 2022
Country
If you ever buy, borrow, or steal a copy of the Chicago School of Watchmaking courses, you'll find some useful tables relating to mainsprings for American pocket watches.

Pocketwatchdatabase.com has a few different Waltham parts catalogs uploaded there. There is a 1909 Waltham materials catalog that would give you the MS numbers (Pg 25) for watches made prior to that year.

I see that PWDB has the 1940 catalog. It has the MS page as well.
I actually DO have an electronic copy of the Chicago Course! I'm using it to learn as much as I can and so far it been fantastic. I didn't see any charts or anything in the mainspring lesson but theres a ton more files to look through! thanks for the other places mentioned as well I'll look at the PWDB and see how I missed it!
EDIT
I see how I missed it!! I thought catalogue would be like advertisements and stuff so I never looked there!! Thanks I got it now!! AWesome!

Last edited:
Reactions: MrRoundel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danarog
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner