Help Propeller Clock Weight Size

Mike Mall

Oct 27, 2021
Country
Hi,
I'm working on the remnants of a novelty cuckoo clock, with the propeller movement.
I searched "Propeller clock weight" - was not a fruitful search.

Can somebody tell me the typical weight (amount) these clocks require?

Preemptive Thanks

c.kugle

Jul 15, 2021
Country
Could you post some pics of the clock so we can see what's going on. Different versions have different weight sizes.

Mike Mall

Oct 27, 2021
Country
It's work in progress - but it's a dual bellows / single wire setup. Here's a couple that should give a good idea.
Movement is running on test stand, with a piece of wire and paper clip for the pendulum.
And a few bearings hanging on a wire as weight.

IMG_3610.jpg
IMG_3609.jpg

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
These clocks were sold in the 1960's at the late lamented shop by F W Woolworth & Co, and marketed as "Forestall". They were not really intended to me repaired; the bent rods to operate the bellows are quite critical to get just right.

Reactions: Mike Mall

Mike Mall

Oct 27, 2021
Country
These clocks were sold in the 1960's at the late lamented shop by F W Woolworth & Co, and marketed as "Forestall". They were not really intended to me repaired; the bent rods to operate the bellows are quite critical to get just right.
They are still on the cutesy side though.
I picked up a box of broken clocks for parts, and the wife picked that one out right off as my new project.
I'm experimenting with weight, and pendulum for now. Thanks for the tip on the rods - I found info on that to get started.

Yes - these are not meant to be repaired - when the columns are twisted back don't hold well. Movement ran 2 minutes when first started, then all power was lost to escape wheel. Found the movement was "spongy", the front and rear plates shifted left, to right, of each other when weight was put on.

Because they aren't meant to be repaired - I felt no remorse soldering the lower columns to hold them in place. :)

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
They use a standard sized cuckoo weight. 250 to 275 grams. The first clock I ever repaired was one of those :)

Reactions: Mike Mall

Mike Mall

Oct 27, 2021
Country
They use a standard sized cuckoo weight. 250 to 275 grams. The first clock I ever repaired was one of those :)
Thanks Shutterbug - I have those already.
Now I can proceed in the right direction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meum
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-