Project: Video-on-Demand - Greg Davis - Project Manager

Discussion in 'Archived Threads' started by kirxklox, Feb 16, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Develop videos to display on the NAWCC Web System for various Security Groups or classes of Users.

2. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Darwin is now working and is now able to run Streaming Videos.

3. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Registered User

Nov 29, 2000
    Manager of Engineering Programs
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have now been sent and have processed 75 of the Master DVDs from the library. Al but about 4 of them processed correctly, and are now available as MP4 and MOV (Hinted Movie) format, suitable for use online. If I understand Sharon Gordon's message correctly, I think that's all the DVDs that need conversion at this time. I remain available should any further conversions be needed.

In the meantime, I have about 17 DVDs with the MOV and MP4 files on them. I'd send them back to the library, but I'm not sure they know what to do with them. I could just retain them until someone tells me where they need to go. Or, I could just hold onto them and upload the files to the appropriate server once the server is available.

If anyone has a particular preference let mw know.

4. Markus Harris

Markus Harris Registered User

Feb 2, 2009
    Male
    Lancaster, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Greg,

I'm trying to run this one down. What with the final transfer of the Joomla site to the co-location over the past few days and assorted server tweaks and adjustments, we've been up to our necks here.

I'll find out what's what ASAP. In the meantime, just hang onto the DVDs until I get further word.

I just want you to understand that your work on this is greatly appreciated, and no, you're not being ignored-- I just don't have an answer for you yet.

Cheers!

Markus

5. Markus Harris

Feb 2, 2009
    Male
    Lancaster, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Greg,

I spoke with Kevin, re: the DVDs. Just go ahead and mail them to us (re: Kevin Osborn) and keep a back-up set on your end.

We're going to extract and convert them to FLV for viewing. That's the plan at the moment.

Regards,

Markus

6. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Markus, you will want to design a structure of protected forms on Joomla to display the videos, I think. Do we know hot to embed Flash in Joomla forms?

7. Markus Harris

Feb 2, 2009
    Male
    Lancaster, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom,

I'll have to check out our copy of Breezing Forms to see what can be embedded. We're having some problems with our forms at the moment-- for some reason, our captcha's have stopped working since we moved our Joomla site. Those are embedded.

But yes, when we start setting up the videos, we'll need to place them behind a log in, and make them unlinkable.

Regards,

Markus

8. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Will you need Captcha with the SSO? Once someone has authenticated, they should have access to the content.

9. Greg Davis

Nov 29, 2000
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just got this message. I'll get the DVDs into the mail tomorrow to Markus' attention. By the way, as noted before, the DVDs contain both MP4 and Hinted Movie (MOV) files. The MOV files are a little cleaner in that I was able to trim some useless footage of static off the end of some of the movies.

- Greg

10. Markus Harris

Feb 2, 2009
    Male
    Lancaster, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Greg,

Got the vids today. Thanks for all your hard work!

Tom,

We don't need the captcha for the video and other content so much as we need it to back some of the spam bots off our various forms. It gets truly offensive, processing dozens of false form results daily as the bots try to use the forms to "get in" to our site. They think the forms are log-ins, and are trying to spam us like a message board. Annoying.

The captcha was working fine until we moved the site to the new server. There's a mailer glitch between the Joomla Breezing Forms and our mailserver-- can't mail between one and the other.

We're working the problem at this end.

Cheers!

Markus

11. Greg Davis

Nov 29, 2000
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I got 13 more DVDs yesterday, which I will process this weekend. It occurs to me to wonder if more are coming. The main reason for wondering is to know whether to send out the converted disks with this batch or hold them for a separate shipment.

- Greg

12. Greg Davis

Nov 29, 2000
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    4 more disks will be coming your way, Markus, with 14 MP4s and 14 MOVs.