• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Problem With Strike On Welch Movement

Marc Hildebrant

Sep 2, 2009
West Dennis, Ma.
Country
Region
Group,

I am working on a Welch movement in an Ithaca Calendar Clock. The Main spring for the strike movement broke and before I have taken the clock plates apart I see a strange thing.

On this clock, the hour shaft rotates and hits the cam to push the J hook. However, the part that first hits the cam is the flat steep side rather than the sloped side of the cam. It seems to be set up backward.

IMG_0927.JPG

Marc

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It looks like it needs to be on the other side of the shaft to me.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I think you have two threads going. I responded to the other one.

Marc Hildebrant

Sep 2, 2009
West Dennis, Ma.
Country
Region
Shutterbug,

You are correct. I tried to remove the older thread but didn't know how. Can you provide the answer ?

Also, I hadn't any replies to the older one, so I added a picture to help.

Marc

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Shutterbug,

You are correct. I tried to remove the older thread but didn't know how. Can you provide the answer ?

Also, I hadn't any replies to the older one, so I added a picture to help.

Marc
I merged the two threads.

Marc Hildebrant

Sep 2, 2009
West Dennis, Ma.
Country
Region
Steven T. Thank You.

If the cam is on the other side of the hour shaft, I believe it will still first strike the flat side as the shaft rotates CW.
Its a puzzle as the solution seems to be to either have time go backward (not likely) or flip the cam 180 degrees.
Does anyone have a similar E.N. Welch Movement to compare to mine ?

Marc

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
What if you put it in that other hole? It's hard to visualize the missing wheels and how they might interact.

Marc Hildebrant

Sep 2, 2009
West Dennis, Ma.
Country
Region
Shutterbug,

Here is a picture from the top inward. I believe that the other hole you mentioned contains the counting lever and others.
At this point without another Welch movement, I have to believe that the "falling off the cam" that is talked about in books to start the strike is performed on this movement in a very simple manor of just passing by the piece of metal.

Marc

IMG_0923.JPG

TooManyClocks

NAWCC Member
Feb 6, 2019
Country
I have a welch movement in a Ithaca farmers model. If i can get a photo of the levers without removing the movement from the case I‘ll do it. Removing it from the case may require re-adjustment of the calendar levers when I put it back in, but we’ll see. Kinda not wanting to do that, although I readjusted it enough when I first got it that the adjustment procedure is now permanently implanted in my brain...

I’ll try to post a photo or two by tomorrow morning sometime

John

Last edited:

TooManyClocks

NAWCC Member
Feb 6, 2019
Country
Your movement‘s strike assembly is correct. I took the back off my Ithaca, and was able to get some photos between the plates of its Welch movement. Mine is the same; the pins on the hour shaft hit the flat side of the lever seemingly counterintuitively, but it works as it’s supposed to. Here’s some between the plate pictures of mine.

John

9E8FC78C-0C85-4CC1-84A5-C8660CA8D11B.jpeg View attachment 621018 View attachment 621019 8242D80A-3D92-4DA0-8B42-E996E67387D7.jpeg A474A718-996D-4A9D-A1FE-E5890F1693B4.jpeg

Marc Hildebrant

Sep 2, 2009
West Dennis, Ma.
Country
Region
TooManyClocks,

Thanks for taking the time to help. With regard to the pictures, the first one seems to show the cam under the pin, the last one seems to show the pin hitting the flat first, and I can't understand the second.

My mechanical "sense" is not that great which is why I had a career as an Electrical Engineer rather than Mechanical...

I'll study the pictures more.

Marc

TooManyClocks

NAWCC Member
Feb 6, 2019
Country
Hi
In the first photo, the flat is contacting the pin in preparation for striking. The second photo is from the opposite side of the movement , looking at a rearward view of the same thing. The last photo was taken a little further away than the first one, but is the same view as the first. I tried to upload the photos in a better order than they are displayed, but it didn’t work out that way.

John

Marc Hildebrant

Sep 2, 2009
West Dennis, Ma.
Country
Region
Update:

I cleaned and fixed a loose bushing (hit with a punch and then broached hole for pivot). Reassembled and set the strike gears to work. Even though the hour shaft hits the "cam" on its edge (in the picture), it seems to work O.K.

Will assemble the movement and then adjust the calendar mechanism for the Ithaca Calendar clock.

Marc

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMW24
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions