Problem with Sonora Chime

fixer_123

Mar 12, 2001
VA
Country
Hello:

I have a Seth Thomas mantle clock with the Sonora chime in the shop for service. I've cleaned and oiled both works but I'm having difficulty securely fastening the spring inside the barrel of the Sonora chime. Every 4 or 5 windings the spring lets go on me. The problem is the rivet inside the barrel to which the spring fastens is loose and the inside head of the rivet is worn. I tried tightening the rivet but find the rivet loose again after the spring lets go.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? I thought about trying a shoulder bolt but I don't believe I have enough room between the outside of the Sonora barrel and the shaft of the next gear for a mechanical outside fastener like a nut. I am unable to find a replacement barrel for the Sonora chime in any of the aftermarket clock supplier catalogs or from colleagues in my area. Does anyone know of someone who may have a Sonora barrel that I can "pirate" from an old movement being used for replacement parts??

Thank you and Happy New Year!!

Bob

C

clockdaddy

Wow!! When those springs let go....ooooooweeee!!
It sounds like a couple of things "could" be contributing to the problem.
Judging from what you've said about the rivet, I'd start out replacing it. It sounds like it is pretty weak. The hole in the spring will fit better if you have a tighter fitting rivet.
Check the spring hole to make sure the hole can adequately catch on the inside of the barrel. When you flex the spring on the end does the hole appear to have a slight lip that will catch?
It's best not to have a nut on the outside of the barrel. If the rivet is that loose in the hole, you definitely need a rivet larger in diameter.
The parts for Sonora are hard to come by and give me "sticker shock". Definitely do what you can to properly repair your barrel.

fixer_123

Mar 12, 2001
VA
Country
Harold:

Thank you for your reply.

Do you know where I can find an appropriate steel shoulder rivet to replace the existing one in the Sonora barrel?? I'm concerned the "click rivets" I see in the catalogs won't hold up.

Bob

C

clockdaddy

If you happen to have a lathe, you could turn a piece. Other than that, I'd recommend finding a watch or clock repair person locally and see if they have the ability to turn it. AND, it never hurts to get another opinion from someone that can actually take a look and see if there are any damages that I simply didn't think of.

Hang in there!!!!

Tom Kloss

NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2003
N.E. Pennsylvania
Country
Region
IMHO, Sonora chime springs are heavy. If the original rivet / hole is loose the chances of tightening it are slim to none. The rivet on the barrel has to be replaced and, I might add, remounted on the other side of the barrel. The new rivet hole should be drilled180 degrees away from the old one. The brass on that side of the barrel should not be fatigued and should hold the new rivet nicely. Your going to have to make or have a new rivet made.

Tom :cool:

"Hopefully, you learn something new every day."

C

clockdaddy

Thanks Tom,
Ya see, Bob, how putting everyone's head in it, eventually leads to an answer.
Tom thought of something that I hadn't. What he said will save you even more aggravation!!

fixer_123

Mar 12, 2001
VA
Country
Many thanks to Tom and Harold for their tips. Since I don't have a lathe, I'll see what I can find locally.

Bob

dumbo2

Mar 6, 2001
Kenosha, Wi
Country
Region
Check the December 15 posts from last year, I had basically the same problem and got good advice from the board. It must be "Sonora Season", I have replaced a 5 bell spring, an 8 bell spring I had to shorten, I am working on a Seth Thomas on bars and tomorrow I am getting a 4 bell that has a broken time spring.
I think the advice here is sound, having a very stable barrel rivet is important. I also found out that the replacement spring from Timesavers has a different size hole than the spring that I took out.
Be careful.

CB

fixer_123

Mar 12, 2001
VA
Country
OK CB thank you for the warning about the size of the hole in the replacement spring. I saw the springs in the Merritts catalog and was thinking about one, but I'm sure Merritts and Timesavers must get them from the same supplier.

B

dumbo2

Mar 6, 2001
Kenosha, Wi
Country
Region
I am sure the springs from the suppliers are the same. The two I have purchased are very true to the original except that the hole is a little wider and has parallel sides, whereas the two originals (I think) tapered and sort of self-centered on the rivet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeSlari
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre