Problem With Pigeons On Clock Hands

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by The Editor, Jan 21, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. The Editor

The Editor Newbie

Sep 13, 2016
    Female
    Ontario Canada
    Country Flag:
    Hello. I’m looking for advice on how to keep pigeons from roosting on the hands of a clock in a clock tower (see photo). Plastic owls haven’t worked, and pigeon spikes will restrict the hands’ movements. The clock has four faces. Up to a dozen birds can be on a set of hands at a time, and their combined weight on four sets is causing the clock to stop. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Also, if anyone lives near Almonte Ontario and would be willing to take a look at the clock, please contact the project manager, James, at james@jamisonrepair.ca. The team would like to know if the escapement is set correctly. None of them are clock experts, so some guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.

Clock Pigeons.jpg

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. The Editor

The Editor Newbie

Sep 13, 2016
    Female
    Ontario Canada
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, Kevin. I'll pass that along.

4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I sent you another email this morning, another idea. I saw that someone from the clock group had or has contacted Ch 111 in Ottawa.

5. The Editor

The Editor Newbie

Sep 13, 2016
    Female
    Ontario Canada
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for letting me know. When you say you sent me an email, what address are you using?

6. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Why wouldn't spikes in the same plane as the clock face/hands work?

Kurt

7. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The hands are very light weight from my understanding, so no added weight can be added.

8. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Birds are tenacious. Once they find a safe place to roost they keep coming back. If you cannot deny them access, then you need to make them feel unsafe to get them to go away. Harassment works, but it has to be every time they show up. I spent several years trying to keep birds off a pair of aircraft runways. Some you leave, some you chase, some you have to kill. Sad but true.

Eric

Kevin W. likes this.
  9. The Editor

The Editor Newbie

Sep 13, 2016
    Female
    Ontario Canada
    Country Flag:
    I assume it's because the birds would keep accidently bending them when trying to land. But I'll pass your message along.

10. The Editor

The Editor Newbie

Sep 13, 2016
    Female
    Ontario Canada
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, Eric.

11. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In the beginning was the word and the word is, Velcro.
    Don't quote me because I haven't tested the theory but it is lightweight can be attached easily and can be made floppy at the edges. Presumably birds would hate attempting to land on it?

It is a problem many tower clocks have among others like snow on hands, which interferes with timekeeping. Robust movements and additions of counterweights were compensating methods.

12. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've been overseeing a Howard clock here in Rhode Island since 1996. When I first got involved, there was plenty of bat guano (and bats, little brown myotis, cute buggers) in the tower, and squirrels and birds were occasional visitors. An ultrasonic transmitter, which at the time cost under $30.00, has kept them out since that time. Perhaps something of that nature, behind the dials, would ward off your new friends.

On another note, I can"t see any counterbalances on the hands. They are very important. If they were present, it's likely that your avian interlopers wouldn't be able to stop the clock. What happened to them, or did it never have them?

13. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tape the alarm calls of the pigeons and play it on a loop. Every few minutes tell them that a hawk is circling and they'll promptly scatter.

14. Evernia

Evernia Registered User

Jun 12, 2020
    Country Flag:
    If you are still looking for solutions, there is a picture of an anti-pigeon wire here which seems to have worked for that case The Trinity Clock