Private Label photos ... All 50 states

Fred Hansen

NAWCC Member
Aug 18, 2002
Country
I thought it would be nice to see a thread here with photos of private-label watches trying to show an example marked to somewhere in each of the 50 United States and also one marked to Washington DC.

I'm a fan of private-label marked watches since I think these custom markings add a layer of history to the watch by connecting it with a specific place and time. They also can be very interesting to research and discover the history of the individual or firm that the watch was custom marked for.

All are welcome to add to this thread and I'd like to see pics of any watch with an American located private-label on the dial and/or on the movement. It would be great to eventually see this thread contain photos of watches marked to all fifty American states and the US capital. Duplicates on states are fine too ... the more the merrier ... and any extra history on the watch or marking anyone wants to post is terrific.

I'll post photos of one today to start things off, and I'd really enjoy seeing our board users post some of their watches and make this a fantastic thread for everyone!

Fred

Fred Hansen

NAWCC Member
Aug 18, 2002
Country
Here's one marked to a firm in my home state of Illinois, an 18 size private-label that was made by the Illinois Watch Company in about 1895 from a hunting case model Bunn Special grade that was marked on the dial and movement for "Sommer & Pierik" of Springfield, Illinois ...

Attachments

Fred Hansen

NAWCC Member
Aug 18, 2002
Country
So 49 states and 1 National capital left, who's got one to show ... :)

Fred

s. smith

Oct 13, 2006
Fred beautiful watch if you ever need a dial for one of the private labels like you posted or know of someone else that does i would be glad to send it to them..The one i have i belive is for a keywind Illinois but the same name as the one you posted.:)

terry hall

NAWCC Brass Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
Let's do one from South Carolina... maybe a second one from the same state later (after competing all 50) that's "Better" :)

Attachments

Bryan Eyring

Dec 11, 2007
Country
Region
PA

Two PA private labels, both for Pittsburgh.
Scarce nickel USWC private label for a Pittsburgh, PA establishment and a gilt USWC private label for a different Pittsburgh, PA establishment.

Regards,
Bryan

Attachments

Last edited:

Fred Hansen

NAWCC Member
Aug 18, 2002
Country
Some great watches here and thanks everyone for the posts!

I think this can be a very interesting thread not only for showing the different areas the private-labels were sent but also the very wide range of makers, grades, and time periods that these private-label watches can cover.

We're at 7 states shown now, I'll try to a few more here over the weekend and am looking forward to anything else that our board's members would like to show.

:)

Fred

Fred Hansen

NAWCC Member
Aug 18, 2002
Country
The town of Telluride is in the southwestern part of Colorado, surrounded by the San Juan mountain range and sitting at an elevation of about 8700 feet. Following the earlier discoveries of gold in this area, the town was founded in 1878 under the name "Columbia" but in 1887 the name was changed to Telluride. Mining remained Telluride's dominant industry for many years after, but in more modern times Telluride has become famous for its Telluride Ski Resort. The current population of Telluride is a little over 2200 at last census.

J.C. Anderson & Co. of Telluride ordered private-labels from several makers around the turn of the century and this firm was also a railroad watch inspector for the Denver and Rio Grande Railway which had a narrow gauge route through Southwestern Colorado. Here is a photo of an 18 size 21 jewel hunting case grade 941 Hamilton with 2-tone damaskeen that is listed in the Hamilton factory records as an October 16, 1900 sale to Anderson ...

Attachments

IowaWatchGuy

Dec 24, 2004
Here is one of mine. A WF Laraway Glenwood Iowa two-tone 975 Hamilton. Sorry for the blurry picture. Thanks for posting everyone...I really am enjoying the pictures!

Attachments

terry hall

NAWCC Brass Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
Neat John.. a "first" for me with regards to signature.... BS "for".... congrats!

John Cote

Director
Director
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Midwest USA
www.interstatetime.com
Country
OK, how about Indiana. I will take pictures of an American watch from this company later this weekend, but how's about a Patek for now?

145.jpg 146.jpg 147.jpg

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Since this is the American Pocket Watch Message Board, I hesitate to post pictures of Swiss private label watches.

Meanwhile, here's an American beauty from Tennessee.

Last edited:

Jon Hanson

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
The Best -- John S Allen and Co. Minneapolis

Attachments

John Cote

Director
Director
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Midwest USA
www.interstatetime.com
Country
One more Indiana. This is a watch from the same company as the Patek but after Mr. Bingham sold out to Mr. Walk. It is a 12 size Illinois gr 404...triple signed.

150.jpg
151.jpg
152.jpg

Jon Hanson

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
while we are on Indiana--Newcastle

Attachments

Fred Hansen

NAWCC Member
Aug 18, 2002
Country
Great posts everyone and terrific watches being shown here!

Looks like we have 17 states shown now and also a terrific example of Washington D.C.

So here is what we've shown here ... Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Washington D.C.

And here is what we haven't seen here yet ... Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wyoming

Fred

bernie levine

Aug 10, 2003
:rolleyes::Party:zzz
Great posts everyone and terrific watches being shown here!

Looks like we have 17 states shown now and also a terrific example of Washington D.C.

So here is what we've shown here ... Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Washington D.C.

And here is what we haven't seen here yet ... Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wyoming

Fred

terry hall

NAWCC Brass Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
Let me tag on another VA watch... though it is a junker compared to John's...

This is a movement marking only... H D Walters, Christiansburg VA... dial is SS enamel RN with A W C sig

Believe an 1877 model Waltham.

Attachments

terry hall

NAWCC Brass Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
Been working on NC representation....

have a DIAL ONLY marking on Southbend grade 313? 18s for North Wilkesboro NC... (this is a 'small' town in the foothills of NC... "moonshine capital of the world".. :eek:)

Another Dial Only marking for a Durham NC firm on a 15j plain ole getty illinois

And a marked 17j 16s pendant set Rockford movement and dial for a lil town on the NC coast... Washington, NC... now the home of Reggie Fountain Powerboats... I have some 'ole timers' from around here that do remember this firm Smithers....

"still" actively looking for other examples

Attachments

bernie levine

Aug 10, 2003
Fred,

Here are two more. I will try an post pictures at a later date.

18 size ON6L 17 J Bunn grade Illinois #1248419 Movment marked ACTONS SPECIAL, R.C. ACTON & SON Alexandria, Virginia.

18 SIZE ON6L 17 j Bunn grade Illinois dial marked N&W Special. Mvmt marked F.S. Green Roanoak, Virginia.#1248375.

I believe you have photos of N&W Special dial and movement from my
earlier post.

Joe Kendall

NAWCC Member
Jun 25, 2004
Edmonton, AB Canada
Country
Region
Here's one from Kansas. Just a humble Hamilton 928 but I like it since it is from the city of my birth. I have also included an image of a street scene of Topeka from an old postcard. You can just make out the sign for Hayden Jeweler's. The building is still standing. It now houses a Christian Science Reading Room.

Joe

Attachments

Fred Hansen

NAWCC Member
Aug 18, 2002
Country
Awesome response so far and thanks everyone for the photos!

:):):Party:

We're halfway through the states now, with just these 25 left unshown ...

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wyoming

Fred

Steven Mercer

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2001
Country
Region
Fred

I know you can take care of Hawaii and Alaska. :) So lets see those photo's. :D

Here are a couple of dials I have:

A. Marquis & Bro. Philadelphia

J.V. Padula 218 222 Bruce St. Newark N.J.

Sam Mayer, Denver Colo.

Attachments

Fred Hansen

NAWCC Member
Aug 18, 2002
Country
No problem Steve but I was hoping someone would beat me to it and post one of those two states first ... :)

I'll have to get some good pics taken but will try to have one posted up here for tomorrow.

Fred

Last edited:

Saiph

Aug 27, 2006
Central PA
Country
Region
I have two more dials to add, covering Kentucky and Washington state. These are both on 16s Illinois Getty movements.

Rich G Tafel
Louisville, KY
- obtained separately and used in the restoration of a 17j grade 185 hunter

Fechtner V Haller
Chehalis, WASH
- original (as far as I know) to a 17j grade 186 open face

Doug

Attachments

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Here is a dial only from South Dakota (18-size Illinois 1st model - if anyone has the movement and needs the dial, let me know), and an Illinois grade 61 from Maine.

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
I don't think another California dial will hurt (except for the condition ... ouch :( ) This is for an 18-size Rockford.

Attachments

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Another from Washington ... a Hampden from Blaine, Washington. The dial also has the retailer's name, but not the location.

Attachments

Last edited:
Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waynebernelli
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool