Printable Dial For Seth Thomas No. 2 Regulator (Model 61 Movement)

Discussion in 'Case Construction, Repair & Restoration' started by Daryl Watkins, Apr 18, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Daryl Watkins

Daryl Watkins Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Is there a printable dial face available for the Seth Thomas No. 2 Regulator?

Smaller seconds bit for the model 61 movement.

Roman numeral.

There don't appear to be many reproduction faces available for this clock, eBay or anywhere.

2. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I’m not familiar with the ST#2 other than by name. I assume you are looking for a paper dial? If so, they can be scanned and either the pixels cleaned with a photo editing program, or my preferred way, recreating the dial in a design program. Someone may have already done that for your model, and only need to see your post. I find recreating the dials entertaining, especially the fancy numbers on the older styles, so if your search comes to a dead end, I may be able to help. A quick search on eBay turned up metal dials for ST #2. Were those not what you want?

3. senhalls

senhalls Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    retired
    western PA.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. Daryl Watkins

NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Thank you for your reply. I am not an expert on the ST#2 but the particular model movement determines where the holes in the dial are placed. Different models have unique winding arbor and/or seconds arbor hole placement. The model 61 movement that I have is one of the oldest original movements which requires a smaller seconds bit on the face. I am in search of a roman numeral face for this movement. I don't post often but will attempt to attach examples.

I may have jumped the gun a bit assuming that there is an image file available that I could take to a printer to have a high resolution print made on high quality stock. Certainly if there is a paper dial currently available that would be the route I would like to take.

After scanning the net for something suitable I came across a website where you can construct your own clock face and print it. Unfortunately I did not see a roman numeral version available. Perhaps a way to import that font might be possible.
    Full Scale Adjustable Printable Clock Face Templates - Metric

Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

upload_2020-4-20_18-25-28.jpeg

upload_2020-4-20_18-26-2.jpeg

5. Daryl Watkins

NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2011
  6. tracerjack

NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The photos are of your dial? I’m a little confused now. Can’t tell from the photo whether the dial is coated paper or painted (screened) metal. It looks to be in excellent condition either way. I could only detect some light smearing of numbers six and seven. Perhaps the photos aren’t showing the true condition.

7. Daryl Watkins

NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Sorry, the photos are of a dial that sold on eBay. It is not mine but is the type that I am after. It is considered the "Old style". The seconds arbor is closer to the dial center which requires the seconds legend (bits) to be smaller in diameter. All the others that have been mentioned here are the new type with the seconds arbor spaced a bit further away from the dial center and in turn has a seconds legend (bit) larger than the older one. There are reproductions available but the ones that I see listed on eBay are either the "old" type with Arabic or "new" type with Roman numeral or Arabic. If you examine the two images, there is a larger space between the seconds bit on the old version clock face.

upload_2020-4-20_22-49-52.jpeg

upload_2020-4-20_22-50-24.jpeg

8. tracerjack

NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Next question - do you have the dial of your clock so it could be scanned? You didn’t say in your posts if you were looking to improve your dial or were missing it altogether. Either way, the dial could be recreated in a computer design program.

9. Daryl Watkins

NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2011
    I do not have a dial. To be able to get one created in software would be exceptionally nice. I would have to provide specifications to make sure the end result fits the movement. If there is a person or service that can create an image then I will do my best to get the specs. This will take a little time so if this is doable let me know otherwise I will not pursue.

10. tracerjack

NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It’s doable. I’ve done it many times for Sessions, Ansonia, Gilbert, etc, but I have always had the original to scan. I don't know any professionals doing this, although it seems like there should be some. An approximate could be fabricated from the dial photos you posted along with some exact measurements. I find doing them entertaining. While continuing your search for something original, or a professional, if you would like let me play around with creating one, you can start a private conversation with me.

11. Daryl Watkins

NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2011
    I have PM'd you.

12. lylepete

lylepete Registered User

Feb 9, 2003
    Male
    Greenhouse supervisor
    Illinois
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe timesavers sell this dial in metal not paper both roman and Arabic numerals.
    William