• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Price of repairing clocks

Sir_Walton

Apr 18, 2009
hello

in general terms, the price of repairing mantle antique clocks, or cleaning them are similar or cheaper than those of pocket watches? Thanks

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Sir Walton, to do a basic clean and oil and replace bushings is a lot cheaper than a pocket watch and many people can do clocks but watches are more difficult to work on, smaller pieces.
Many basic tools you have around home can be used in clock repair.

FredWJensen

Feb 1, 2007
watch repair is very unforgiving. Just a slight pressure in the wrong area or a slip can do drastic damage in repairing a watch. All watch repair tools operate with finger muscles only, so you do not overpower the delicate parts. Also as Veritas stated, the investment in tools for watch repair is extensive.
Clock repair is very exacting too but on a larger usually more durable scale.

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
I do both watches and clocks, and I base my charges on the same basic hourly rate regardless of what I work on. If I am unable to make the same on clocks as I do on watches, I don't do clocks! Easy as that! Sometimes I find I am working for less than what I quoted based on that hourly rate, but sometimes I get lucky and make it up on the easy ones. Problem where I live is lots of outfits quote lower prices for half a job. When I get the sense I am performing a salvage job on something that has been butchered, my rates go up.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
In my area, watches are lots higher for repairs than clocks, and for the reasons stated. I don't do watches myself, and for the reasons stated :)
Dougs' post mentions an average hourly rate, and I think that applies since it's going to take longer to do a watch correctly.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
There is two different ways to answer this question.Perhaps i did not answer the way it was asked??:^

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
There is two different ways to answer this question.Perhaps i did not answer the way it was asked??:^
I think you did fine, Kevin :)

FredWJensen

Feb 1, 2007
For cleaning without any repairs: a typical pocket watch is easier to clean than a 2 or 3 train clock movement and therefore I charge less. The smaller the watch gets like a tiny ladies movement, the higher the price gets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidgordonf
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-