Preserve or Restore a Seth Thomas Dial

Discussion in 'Reverse Glass and Dial Painting' started by JustinGr, Jul 9, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JustinGr

JustinGr Registered User

Jun 14, 2016
    Law Student, PMO Director
    Bedford
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have an early 1860's column 30 hour, and the dial I have is good, but has chips and scratches, but nothing obscene. So, is it more desirable to restore or preserve?

The clock has undergone a movement repair, repaired case, and a professionally made new tablet of an original ST tablet. So it's not a untouched.

It's not a cost thing, I'm looking for opinions on what's preferred in the collector community.

2. WRabbit

WRabbit Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jun 1, 2016
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    With dials I prefer to preserve rather than restore, unless the dial is in horrible shape. A tastefully aged dial gives a clock character, IMO.

This yellowed French dial is curling within the inner ring, but I chose to leave it as-is after rescuing the clock from a trash heap.

IMG_5477.jpg

The aged dial in the rescued clock.

IMG_5500.jpg

Can you post a few pictures of your dial so we can give an honest opinion as to what we would do?

Jim