Preserve or Restore a Seth Thomas Dial

Discussion in 'Reverse Glass and Dial Painting' started by JustinGr, Jul 9, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. JustinGr

JustinGr Registered User

Jun 14, 2016
    I have an early 1860's column 30 hour, and the dial I have is good, but has chips and scratches, but nothing obscene. So, is it more desirable to restore or preserve?

The clock has undergone a movement repair, repaired case, and a professionally made new tablet of an original ST tablet. So it's not a untouched.

It's not a cost thing, I'm looking for opinions on what's preferred in the collector community.

2. WRabbit

WRabbit Registered User

Jun 1, 2016
    With dials I prefer to preserve rather than restore, unless the dial is in horrible shape. A tastefully aged dial gives a clock character, IMO.

This yellowed French dial is curling within the inner ring, but I chose to leave it as-is after rescuing the clock from a trash heap.

IMG_5477.jpg

The aged dial in the rescued clock.

IMG_5500.jpg

Can you post a few pictures of your dial so we can give an honest opinion as to what we would do?

Jim