Prescot Lancashire.

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
Till now we have seen only a background of information, and very little of where this was leading too. I started by saying it would take a while to absorb so much information, and to sort out which came first, the chicken or the egg. So having read nearly all the documents I decided I would try and start with Edward Jump. It was the land he bought in Prescot c1800-1802 that influenced the watch trade most for the next hundred years. At first he build Eight cottages, we have see this above, and who lived in them. Today we know this is Eccleston Street, though back then it had no name, so about the time of purchase the the town of Prescot decided they would build two more roads. Eccleston Street was extended, and called Little new Road, it then ran into Warrington road, then called New Road.

8-9.JPG
We can be thankful that sketch maps were added to the indentures. This one makes it quite clear that Eccleston Street stopped at the junction of Chaple Street, Eccleston Street and Acres Street. (Later Ackers Street) This then was where Edward Jump built the 8 cottages, and though the land for the Flatiron building is outlined, there was nothing there then. (More on that later)

8-8.JPG This map shows the other end of Eccleston Street running in the Warrington Road, Notice there are no numbers on these buildings, that was not to come into use, till some hundred years later, c1830-40.

To be cont.......

Reactions: PatH

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
Back again, I can now give you some facts. It´s a bit long-winded and is written in old English, though I am quite sure you will have no problems understanding it.

Abstract of the Title.
Mr Frederick Halshall, and his mortgagees to
copyhold property in Warrington Road in the county
of Lancaster.

1st. February 1867.
Stamp One Pound sixteen Shillings.

By the indenture of this date made between James Galloway of Prescot in the county of Lancaster gentleman of the first part,
Robert Eden of Liverpool in this said County Gentleman, and Jane Eden of Liverpool aforesaid spinster of the second part and
John Wycherley of Prescot aforesaid Watch Movement Manufacturer of the third part.

Reciting. That Edward Jump late of Prescot aforesaid Joiner a customary tenant of the Manor of Prescot aforesaid departed this life on the 5th. day of March 1842 having duly made and executed his will and testament bearing date the 24th. day of the previous month of February whereby after directing payment of his just debts funeral and testamentary expenses he gave devised and bequeathed all and every his real and personal estate and effects unto his Executors there and hereinafter named their heirs' executors and adminsstrators Upon trust but subject as aforesaid and to a legacy of ten pounds and a suit of mourning to his late servant Mary Halshall to pay the yearly rents issues and profits thereof unto or permit the same to be received used held and occupied by his daughter Jane Eden for her life and from and immediately after her decease his executors should stand seized and possessed of all his estate and effects real and personal upon trust in their discretion and of their uncontrollable authority to manage and administer his said estate and effects and to pay apply and expand the same or so much thereof as they should think expedient to or for the clothing board lodging maintenance and support or otherwise for the personal and peculiar benefit of his grandchildren (notwithstanding the competency of their parent) during their lives and the life of the survivor of them whether infant or adult and whether competent or incompetent to give an acquaintance or discharge at such time or times and in such proportions and manner in all respects as his said executors should think most conducive to their comfort and conveniences and on the decease of the survivor of his said grandchildren to trust to convey transfer pay and divide what might be then left (if anything) of his estateand rffects unto the issue of such grandchildren and their heirs equally share and share alike and as tenants in common he /the said testator) empowered his trustees at any time after his decease and when they in their own discretion should consider necessary to sell and convert his estate and effects into money and his empowered his Trustees to give receipts for all monies and effects to be paid or delivered them by virtue of his will and declared that receipts should exonerate the persons taking the same from all liability to see to the applications or disposition of the money or affects therein mentioned and of that his will the said Testator appointed his friend the said, James Galloway and George Ashton the of Prescot aforesaid Auctioneer Trustees and Executors who duly proved the same in consistory Court of the Bishop of Chesteron 26th day of January 1843.

AND RECITING: That the said Edward Jump left one child only him surviving namely the said Jane Eden and she had only two children being the same persons as are mentioned in the will of the said Testator as his grandchildren..

AND RECITING. That the said Jane Eden departed this life on the 17th-day of October 1846 leaving her said two children namely Robert Eden and Jane Eden her surviving.

AND RECITING: That the said George Ashton departed this life on the 20th day of March 1847 leaving the said James Galloway his co-trustee and co-executor him surviving.

AND RECITING: At a Court held in and for the said Manor of Prescot on the 16th day of January 1857 the said James Galloway as the surviving devisee ib Trust under the said will of the said Edward Jump deceased was duly admitted Tenant (inter alia) of the plot piece or parcel of land messuage or dwellinghouses and hereditaments hereinafter described.

AND RECITING That the said James Galloway as the surviving executor and trustee of the said recited will and in the exercise of the power in that behalf herein contained and for the purpose of the said will be contracted and agreed with the said John Wycherley for the sale to him of the said land messuage or dwellinghouse and hereditaments at or for the price of a sum of 600 pounds.

To be cont.....

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
"AND RECITING. That by a Surrender aclnowledged on the day of the date thereof in consideration of the said sum of 600 pounds to the said James Galloway paid by the said John Wycherley the said James Galloway had srrendered into the hands of the Lord of the said Manor according to the custom there all that plot piece or parcel of land with the messuage or dewllinghouse and workwshop thereon situate lying, and being between the two new roads lately made in prescot aforsaid and leading from thence towards Warrington in the said county, 14 perches or thereabouts together with the appurtenances to the intent that the Lords of the said Manor having reisen therof by their steward of the said Manor for the time being according to the custom there would give and regrant theresaid plot of land messuage or dewllinghouse workshop and premises with their appurts unto the said John Wycherley his heirs and assignesses. To hold the same plot piece parcel of land messuage or dwellinghouse workshops and premises unto and to the use of the said John Wycherley his heirs and assigners for ever according to the custom of the said Manor by and under the rents and services to the Lord of the said Manor and their successors therefor due and of right accustomed.

AND RECITING: That the said Robert Eden and Jane Eden on the treaty for the sale of the said plot of land messuage or dewllinghouse workshops and premises agreed to exacute the releases and confirmation and to enter into the covenants thereinafter contained and the said James Gallowy also agreed to enter into the covenant on his part thereinafter contained.

IT WAS WITNESSED. that in consideration of the said sum of 600 pounds that day paid to the said James Galloway as such trustee and executor as aforsaid by the said John Wycherley (the Rect &c)
They the said Robert Eden and Jane Eden,
Did thereby remise release and for ever quit claim and ratify and cinfirm
unto the said John Wycherley his heirs and assigns.

All and singular the said plot pieces or percel of land messuages
or dewllinghouses workshops and premises therinbefore and in the
said surrender of even date therewith particularly described.
Together with all ways.
And all the estate &c.

TO HAVE and TO HOLD the same with the appurts unto and to the use of the said John Wycherley his heirs and assigns for ever according to the custom of the Manor aforsaid by and under the rents suits and services to the Lords of the said Manor and their successors therfore dur and of right accustomed."

It was around this time that all was not to go has John Wycherley thought or wished, though in the next five pages I hope to end it with a smile. Will try to have it finished over the weekend.

To be cont....

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
Today I was going to write up more on the John Wycherley story. this would or will bring us onto John Wycherley being brought to court for debt. We have seen above that Wycherley bought a plot of land with buildings on it (Messuage). This being number 4 Warrington Road in June 1867. It was then I was reading again the article on the "Truck system 1781" and read "A Mr Thomas Green said that Mr Wycherley and Mr Eaton paid regularly in Money". This got me thinking about the sale from the hairs of Edward Jump, Robert and Elizabeth Eden and had they supported John Wycherley after the sale?

I then found that all I write is copied to post 100 0n page 2??

So I will wait and see what happens.

EDIT: Seems to have cleared up

Last edited:

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
Yesterday, something special turned up here, it is a diary of a watchmaker from 1794 to 1867. So you can imagine how I felt, and I have done nothing else but look and read it since it arrived. Has always with documents like these, I photographed each page and enlarged them, though reading some of the pages is hard work, I think most of it can be transcribed. So the weekend was full of surprises, but I lost the time to finish the Wycherley story. I left where Jon Wycherley was taken to court for lack of payment (Debit) So I have taken the easy way out, and the documents I wanted to transcribe are now three photographs. I did this because these pages are easier than others to read. The next and last part of this story will follow soon. When John Wycherley sells number 4 Warrington Road, Prescot. Any questions about these pages I will try to answer if members want a copy just ask.

10-1.JPG

10-2.JPG

10-3.JPG

Reactions: Ethan Lipsig

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
A quote from the last, Will and Testament of Edward Jump. " and by a settlement made in the year of our lord 1823 between myself, my only daughter Jane Eden, then Jane Jump Robert Eden, Robert Rockliffe and James Green bing the Schlement made previous to the intermarriage of my said daughter with the said Robert Eden."

Does this just mean she could not make up her mind and made a mess of it, or she married three times?

Andrew Wilde

NAWCC Member
Feb 18, 2020
Berkshire, UK
Country
Go on then, I'll bite ;-)
If you put "then Jane Jump" in brackets, correct Schlement to settlement, it all makes sense as describing a settlement between four parties, two of whom, Jane and Robert, later married.

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
Giving the above more thought, and later remarks in the Will, I think Edward Jump disliked his son-in-law. In other words, she chose the wrong man.

16th. March 1896. Copy od Admission. Of this date of Richard Leather and William Harrison.

Reciting. This the said, John Wycherley therein described as formerly of Prescot in the county of Lancaster but afterwards of Southport in the said County Watch Movement maker being in customary fee simple of (Inter Alia) this heredity and premises hereinafter described by his Will dated 23rd day of July 1891 appointed his son Charles Wycherley his grandson John Wycherley and John Johnson-Brown hereinafter called his Trustees to be the executors and trustees of that his Will and after making certain pecuniary and specific devises and bequests as therein mentioned not including the hereditaments and premises hereinafter described and bequeathed. All his real and personal estate not thereby otherwise disposed of unto his trustees upon trust that his trustees should sell call in and convert into money the same or such part thereof as should not consist of money and stand possessed of the proceeds of such sale upon the trusts therein mentioned.

AND RECITING. That the said John Wycherley died on the 5th day of September 1891 and his said Will was proved in the district Registry attached to the Probate Division of Her Majestys High Court of Justice at Liverpool on the 16th day of November 1891 by the said Charles Wycherley and John Wycherley two of the executors named in the said Will John Johnson-Brown the other executor named in the said Will having renounced the Probate and execution thereof.

AND RECITING: That the said Charles Wycherley and John Wycherley were on the 22nd day of May 1894 admitted Tenants according to the custom of the Manor of Prescot aforesaid to (inter Alia) the said copyhold heredity and premises thereinafter described upon the trusts nevertheless the same in and by the said Will of the said John Wycherley declared or such and so many of them as were then subsisting remained unexecuted and were capable of taking effect.

AND RECITING: Agreement by the said Charles Wycherley and John Wycherley with Frederick William Halsall of Prescot aforesaid Printer and Stationer for the sale to him of the said Heredity and premises hereinafter described for the price of 800 pounds.

To be cont.......

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
Go on then, I'll bite ;-)

Sorry, Andrew, I should really have added the rest of his seven-page Will but was too lazy, If you read again the quote it says "To me, myself and my daughter" The daughter knew about the will and that she was to get his inheritance and it was she (Probably) who had her father say all was to go to his daughter, without the influence of her husband. In those days without those words, her husband would have had the money and where it went. She then was able to transfer the same to her children. It went that way too. Thanks though for your effort Andrew

(Schermasil is another way of using the German word Schlement) They had a different sense of humour in those days.

Regards,

Allan

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
AND RECITING. That the said Frederick William Halsall was desirous of having of the said premises surrendered unto and to the use of Richard Leather of Ditton in the County of Lancaster retired Butcher and William Harrison of Widnes in the said County Lancaster Tailor upon the trusts and in a manner hereinafter.

IT WAS REMEMBERED. That on the 13th day of March 1896 the said Charles Wycherley and John Wycherley and also the said, F.W. Halsall out of court and according to the custom of the said Manor came before Frederick Smith gentleman Deputy Steward of William Peed Gentleman the Chief Steward of the said Manor and for and in consideration of the said agreement and of 820 pounds then paid to them by the said Frederick William Halsall (the receipt &c)

They, the said Charles Wycherley and John Wycherley at the request and by the direction of the said F.W.Halsall by his acknowledgement thereof had and each of them had surrendered into hands of the Lords of the said manor by the hands and into the hands of the Lords of the said manor by the hands and acceptance of the said Depüty Steward according to the custom there.

All, the premises before described which premises were then better known by the description following that was to say.

All. that message or Dewllinghouse situate on the Southside of and being No 4 Warrington Road sometime since called the New Road in Prescot aforesaid with the outbuildings yard and gardens thereto belonging as the same were formerly in the occupation of the said John Wycherley but were then in the occupation of John Truesdale as Tenant thereof.

ANd Also All. those the workshops in Warrington Road aforesaid with the yard thereto belonging adjoining the said messuage or dwellinghouse on the East side of the said messuage and running therefrom to the Northeast and of and unto that part of Eccleston Street in Prescot aforesaid which was formerly called Little New Road which said workshops were formerly in the occupation of the said John Wycherley since of Wycherley Hewitt & Company but were then in the occupation of Gilbert Halsall and others as Tenants thereof the area of the site of the premises therein above mentioned being.

Together. with the appurts &c.
AND. all the estate &c.

To the intents that the Lords of the said Manor having seisen thereof by the said Deputy Steward of the said Manor for the time being according to the custom there would give and regrant the said premises hereinbefore mentioned and intended to be thereby surrendered with their appurts unto the said Richard Leather and William Harrison their hairs and assigns.

TO HOLD. The same unto and to the use of the said Richard Leather and William Harrison their hairs and assigns forever according to the custom of the said Manor by and under the rents &c,

So I think that just about wraps up the story of John Wycherley for now. We now know where his Factory was, and that the Flatiron building was later used by Thomas Peter Hewitt, has usual in these matters there are questions, like how long was Hewitt with Wycherley at no 4 Warrington road? were they using the Flatiron building when they were Wycherley Hewitt & Co? &c. I think not long, but I have to prove it, So my next effort will be Thomas Peter Hewitt

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
Your search for Wycherley returned 15 individuals.

Forename(s)SurnameMaiden nameBornDiedPlace bornFatherMother

Agnes EleanorWycherleyWycherley1868Prescot LancashireCharlesEllen
Alfred CharlesWycherleyWycherley1862Prescot LancashireCharlesEllen
Ann JaneWycherleyWycherley1856Liverpool LancashireCharlesEllen
CharlesWycherley
18261894Wem Shropshire
CharlesWycherley
18461916Prescot LancashireJohnNxn
EllenWycherleyMeredith18231897Prescot LancashireJosephMary
IsabellaWycherleyStockley1851Eccleston LancashireJamesEllen
JohnWycherley
18441871Prescot LancashireJohnNxn
JohnWycherley
18181891Runcorn Cheshire
JohnWycherley
1870Prescot LancashireJohnAnn
Lillie MayWycherleyWycherley18631939Prescot LancashireCharlesEllen
Margery BrothertonWycherleyLloyd18201881Prescot Lancashire
MaryWycherleyCummins1818Heptonstall Yorkshire, West Riding
Mary EWycherleyWycherley1867Prescot LancashireJohnAnn
Mary HWycherleyWycherley1853Prescot LancashireCharlesEllen

John Wycherley 1818-1891, we see here born in Runcorn. Prescot census. from the Prescot history site.

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
For those interested here, below 4 Warrington Road Prescot. The photographs are taken from Wycherley Street Prescot.

I hope today to have the date the CO-OP bought this building, who sold it and to who.

Allan.

122-15 (2).jpg 122-15.jpg

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
It turns out to be a little more complicated than at first thought, the dealings to sell the building by Thomas Peter Hewitt, to the CO_OP c 1887, the agreed payments are hard to sort out. should have it though today.

122-26.jpg This photograph shows a group of school child and teachers walking down Eccleston Street in the 1950s. On the right, you can see a doorway with a sandstone surround, and on this an engraving saying it is a branch of the CO-OP.

Till later.

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
122-26 (2).png It now looks like this, "Whiston & District- Co-Operative- Society Limited-Registered Office". above the door.

The hold up at the moment, was me reading the wrong document, and it took a while for the penny to drop. Mr Thomas Dennet was the owner of the pieces of land at this period of time, (So I thought) and in 1883 he sold the property, to Thomas Peter Hewitt, this in fact was the Flatiron building at the other end of Eccleston Street, but rather than put it aside, I have decided to put here. I have read that before joining John Wycherley that Hewitt was working in a factory where he developed his keyless watch system, I also read this system, was given a patent, I will try and find that. John Wycherley we have seen was working at the building above, 4 Warrington Road. So the fact remains Thomas Peter Hewitt did not sell the Flatiron building, he was only a tenant, the trustees of Edward Jump Sold it. Which again brings up, when did Hewitt join Wycherley at Warrington Road, and for how long. So when Wycherley retired (He too was only a Tenant) The trustees of Thomas Dennett sold it to Richard Leather and William Harrison in 1896.

To be cont.....

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
122-28.jpeg This is a photograph c1900 is of Warrington Road. On the right, it shows the shop windows of the CO-OP, and across on the left Wycherley Street.

122-29.jpeg This one some-time around 1920 shows the same from the other direction.

The people in Prescot are now aware of their heritage and are sending me photographs. Notice the overhead cables for the electric trams.

Allan.

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
122-31.jpg This is an old photograph of the Flatiron Building in Eccleston Street.

122-32.jpg On the right Ackers Street

122-33.jpg On the left, you can see the side of the CO-OP building. These photographs (c1970-5) show how close these buildings were.

Allan.

zacandy

NAWCC Member
Nov 6, 2019
Country
Allan

I hope expect you have seen but David here has a good explanation of the relationship between Hewitt and Wycherley. Of course they both later folded into the lwc

Best

Andrew

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
Hi Andrew, I do have this information, and now I have it again. The tread that leads to Wycherley & Hewitt and their so-called Partnership in Wycherley Hewitt & Co. Is so far not proved. I am still working on it, and Wycherley himself never had anything to do with the LWC. He died in 1881. That is not to say he did not like what the LWC wanted to do, and he had known T.P Hewitt when he was a baby. Wycherley was an apprentice to T.P.Hewitt´s father´s firm in Atherton Street, Prescot. (See post 114 above)

166-20.jpg Here is another photograph of the Flatiron Building in the 1960s.

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
Not too long ago, I received some photographs of the work being done on the Flatiron building, included were some photographs of the inner rooms. and the second floor seems to have been one long room, that had over the years been used for multiple uses. At one time there were workbenches below the windows. (Those on the photographs are not the original windows). The floors were planked in oak, and when this is used there are tiny gaps between the planks. It is these gaps I want to talk about.

188-8.JPG Stripping the room, and getting ready to convert this room to what? Still not fully finished, but early next year we will know more.

188-11.jpg A little later. probably getting ready for the carpets?

188-9.jpg 188-10.jpg Cleaned a bit, before use, and it's here we find the treasures of the past.

188-7.JPG The Dials had slid down behind the old iron heating system radiators.

188-3.JPG The small pieces between the planks.

188-6.JPG These are some of the bits and bobs still wrapped in soil, and I have yet to clean them. More are on the way, and I hope you will help me to explain what disappeared all those years ago.

To be cont.......

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
Well, I managed to clean them up a little, so you can see what we have at the moment. The screw that has been filed flat on one side probably had nothing to do with horology and that goes for the broken nail head. The pinion wire seems to have been filed for some reason? The steal pointed piece I think may have been used as a punch.

So, for now, its wait for the next lot and hope we see something that will tell us more on what was made here, and by who.
188-8.JPG
188-9.JPG

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
Looking again at the photograph of the dials, I started to wonder when they were made. So knowing Thomas Peter hewitt had also used the Flatiron building I turned to John Platt´s book, looking at all the photographs of Lancashire watch Co. watches, and almost gave up. Most of the dials had no script on their dials, and others were signed Lancashire Watch Co. Prescot & London, or Prescot & Liverpool. It was then I found one dial on page 407 identical to these two. Looking further I also found dials with and oval "Lancashire watch Co. and below Prescot England, and dials with just Prescot on them. What they all have in commen is they are all one piece, even though the seconds dial is sunken.

188-7.JPG 188-10.JPG

188-11.JPG T.P. Hewitt was using the Flatiron building from 1902 to 1908, so I would say the dials fell behind the radiators in that time spell, a lot latter than the other bits found between the floor boards.

For more information, on T.P. Hewitt I recomend John Platt´s book "Lancashire Watch Company History and Watches"

Allan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luc1lle160
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller