Precision Regulator / Piece Ecole

Jacob Curtis

Oct 20, 2015
Just wanted to share a few pictures of the clock I built in the second year of my schooling (2017). It serves as a great reminder of how far I have come since then. It is built in the style of Glashutte Precision Pendulum Clocks. It is 8-day running, with Harrison's maintaining power, a compensating pendulum with invar rod, and solid sapphire pallets. The driving weight is 800 grams (1.7lbs) and the pendulum bob is 8kg (18lbs)
Performance has been in the neighborhood of 2 seconds a month, I suspect it is slightly overcompensated in its current state.

I produced every component with the exception of the dial engraving and the case.

IMG_1572 (1) copy.jpg IMG_1752.jpg IMG_1737.jpg IMG_1759.jpg IMG_3656.jpeg IMG_4333.jpeg IMG_1302.jpg IMG_4343.jpeg IMG_1754.jpeg

Last edited:

Hessel Oosten

Apr 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Country
Hi Jacob,

Superb (bis) ! Thanks for posting this.

Can I ask you a few questions ?

* What material did you use for the anchor pallets ?

* Did you use a sort of device (using the contol-circles) for grinding them ?

* You have (i.m.o.) a special longitudinal effect on the frame plates ("platines"). How did you make that ?

* The hands ? Are they made of titanium (if I see it right the blue is somewhat less intense, in comparison to blue-ed steel) ?

Hessel

Jacob Curtis

Oct 20, 2015
Hi Jacob,

Superb (bis) ! Thanks for posting this.

Can I ask you a few questions ?

* What material did you use for the anchor pallets ?

* Did you use a sort of device (using the contol-circles) for grinding them ?

* You have (i.m.o.) a special longitudinal effect on the frame plates ("platines"). How did you make that ?

* The hands ? Are they made of titanium (if I see it right the blue is somewhat less intense, in comparison to blue-ed steel) ?

Hessel
The pallet are made from synthetic sapphire, I started with a 3mm thick disc. They were ground using a conventional lathe with a grinding attachment. I made simple fixtures to hold the stones by their inside and outside diameters and then ground the impulse planes using the pallet body as a holder.

The plates are just grained using a straight edge and 80 grit abrasive paper.

The hands are O1 tool steel, though they are brushed finish rather than polished before bluing. This gives them a little more subdued blue tone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garyray
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-