Precision portal clock, French

Bernhard J.

NAWCC Member
Jan 10, 2022
Berlin, Germany
Country
Region
I have now been able to acquire a precision portal clock with Amant escapement, grid compensation pendulum (real, not fake), center second and striking on 2 bells :excited:. Some special features are marked in this photo. In particular special seems to be the microregulator between the two anchor halfs; only the very best have this. The dial (full white emamel in mint condition) is not signed. As soon as I have taken good photos, I will submit them.

208a.jpg

Last edited:

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
That's an interesting movement and I haven't seen one like it before so thanks for posting.

Reactions: Bernhard J.

Bernhard J.

NAWCC Member
Jan 10, 2022
Berlin, Germany
Country
Region
Well, the pin wheel escapement and compensation pendulum are not so uncommon in good French clocks of the 19th century. It is not only precise and reliable, but it also allows long running, up to one month. Even better clocks of this kind have a blade suspension for the pendulum instead of the well known and common suspension spring. In the best, this is even jeweled. The microregulator for the anchor halfs is also a feature reserved to the best clocks. Quite uncommon also on the other side is the striking on two bells, in most cases just one bell is present.

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Very interesting clock. I've never seen anything like it. Will be watching for more pictures. And a working video would be good!

Bernhard J.

NAWCC Member
Jan 10, 2022
Berlin, Germany
Country
Region
I will try (a video), but since I am away in the next time pictures and perhaps a video might be made the weekend after next only.

Cheers, Bernhard

Bernhard J.

NAWCC Member
Jan 10, 2022
Berlin, Germany
Country
Region
So, the clock has been assembled and set up and everything works just as it should. This really is a precision instrument and needs care when doing so. Really amazing is the low amplitude of the pendulum, a typical criterium for precision clocks. At the tip of the pendulum the total swing arc (double amplitude) measures to about 7 mm.

Here are a few photos and a short video. My video skills still need considerable improvement.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG

Reactions: Dave T

Bernhard J.

NAWCC Member
Jan 10, 2022
Berlin, Germany
Country
Region
The video does not seem to work, the upload editor says that the file is no video, as expected. But it is one and I can play it on my computer. Extension is .mov and this seems to be correct also.

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
So, the clock has been assembled and set up and everything works just as it should. This really is a precision instrument and needs care when doing so. Really amazing is the low amplitude of the pendulum, a typical criterium for precision clocks. At the tip of the pendulum the total swing arc (double amplitude) measures to about 7 mm.
I recently serviced a very similar clock, and noticed the same thing. Very efficient, easy running, very low pendulum amplitude and ran for over 14 days on one wind. But... it did not have the pinwheel escapement! So, I'm not sure this is really a fair comparison but I was impressed by the performance.

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
The video does not seem to work, the upload editor says that the file is no video, as expected. But it is one and I can play it on my computer. Extension is .mov and this seems to be correct also.
best to upload videos to youtube and let them convert and host. you would then simply copy and paste the video url into a thread here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeteABC123
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-