Precision portal clock, French

Bernhard J.

NAWCC Member
Jan 10, 2022
Berlin, Germany
Country
Region
I have now been able to acquire a precision portal clock with Amant escapement, grid compensation pendulum (real, not fake), center second and striking on 2 bells :excited:. Some special features are marked in this photo. In particular special seems to be the microregulator between the two anchor halfs; only the very best have this. The dial (full white emamel in mint condition) is not signed. As soon as I have taken good photos, I will submit them.

208a.jpg

Last edited:

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
That's an interesting movement and I haven't seen one like it before so thanks for posting.

Reactions: Bernhard J.

Bernhard J.

NAWCC Member
Jan 10, 2022
Berlin, Germany
Country
Region
Well, the pin wheel escapement and compensation pendulum are not so uncommon in good French clocks of the 19th century. It is not only precise and reliable, but it also allows long running, up to one month. Even better clocks of this kind have a blade suspension for the pendulum instead of the well known and common suspension spring. In the best, this is even jeweled. The microregulator for the anchor halfs is also a feature reserved to the best clocks. Quite uncommon also on the other side is the striking on two bells, in most cases just one bell is present.

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Very interesting clock. I've never seen anything like it. Will be watching for more pictures. And a working video would be good!

Reactions: Bernhard J.

Bernhard J.

NAWCC Member
Jan 10, 2022
Berlin, Germany
Country
Region
I will try (a video), but since I am away in the next time pictures and perhaps a video might be made the weekend after next only.

Cheers, Bernhard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minister
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner