Precious metal case weight

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Beetlebug, Dec 28, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Beetlebug

Beetlebug Registered User

Dec 5, 2002
    Hi,

Recently I've been interested in a few 12s watches with precious metal cases. I've made offers but have been told "this is xxxoz of precious xxx". Of course, they don't remove the movement, crown, crystal, etc. So...as a quick counter argument I was wondering if anyone had some very loose ideas of what an open face 14k and Platinum case might weigh as it stands alone? I know this is a stupid question since cases very so much, but what the hey.

Thanks,
    Tom O.

2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A better strategy is to know how much the movement weighs and have a good estimate of the weight of the crystal, stem and other miscellaneous bits that are not precious metal.

Then when the seller quotes the weight of the watch, you can subtract the weight of the non-precious elements from it.

Some of the Ehrhardt publications list the weight of the movement, dial and hands in the description of the movement.

3. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Country Flag:
    The "Beginning to End" book by Ehrhardt/Meggers shows the following weights ...

Waltham 12 size (25 dwt)
    Elgin 12 size (22 dwt)
    Hamilton 12 size (23 dwt)
    Illinois 12 size (18 to 29 dwt, varies by model)
    Rockford 12 size (22 dwt)

This book has a terrific amount of other useful information in it also and I think is a great resource for any American pocketwatch collector that can find a copy.

Fred

4. Beetlebug

Beetlebug Registered User

Dec 5, 2002
    Thanks for all the great information! It'll sure help.

5. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Shugart also has a table of estimated weights of gold cases by size and style.