Practice truing balance wheels - how to hold when adjusting? Remove from Calipers?

wilsonpaule

Oct 23, 2011
Hudson, Quebec
Country
Region
I have been practicing truing up balance wheels using truing calipers. I do have a question. When making adjustments to the balance wheel, should I remove it from the calipers? It just seems unwieldly to make small adjustments while still in the calipers. It seems tedious to remove from the calipers, adjust, put back in the calipers each time, but I can't seem to make small adjustments accurately while the balance is still in the calipers. What is the correct way to do this?

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
Re: Practice truing balance wheels - how to hold when adjusting? Remove from Calipers

Wish I knew, always afraid of breaking the pivot when adjusting in the calipers. I have done it a couple of times but definitely unwieldly and nerve racking but it seemed the only way to realize quick results, but I may be wrong as usual.

wilsonpaule

Oct 23, 2011
Hudson, Quebec
Country
Region
Re: Practice truing balance wheels - how to hold when adjusting? Remove from Calipers

Given the mass of the caliper, i am really concerned that while holding the balance rim, i drop the tool and shear off the pivot. Guess I am answering my own question. Slow & tedious is probably the way to go.

Samantha

Jun 28, 2009
Central Florida
Country
Region

I always remove the balance wheel from the calipers - that avoids breaking or bending a pivot, plus it's easier to make the adjustments.
Samantha

wilsonpaule

Oct 23, 2011
Hudson, Quebec
Country
Region

Soooooo Much to learn! Every time i think I know about this watch repair stuff I realize I have just barely scratched the surface!

Al J

Jul 21, 2009
Canada
Country
Region

I was taught to do it while in the calipers. I've never broken or bent a pivot doing it this way, so maybe you are using different calipers? I use the Bergeon truing caliper #30548. For large corrections I just manually bend the wheel, but for small ones I will use the adjustment screw that moves the small flat piece of metal that acts as a gauge, and put that under the rim of the wheel, and turn the screw to lift. It makes fine adjustments pretty easy to do....

Cheers, Al

darrahg

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 22, 2006
Houston
Country
Region

I adjust the balance while on the caliper. Here are a couple of tips that have helped me from breaking pivots.
1. I only use caliper tips that are concave with pivot holes. Using this shape of tips will allow me to snug down the caliper to the staff just enough to grab the pivot shoulders when making adjustment. The staff is snug enough that the balance will not spin but can be turned with a slight force. I loosen the caliper just enough that the balance spins freely when testing the adjustment.
2. I insert the other end of the caliper into a small vice once the balance is fitted on the caliper. I can adjust a balance without the support of a vice but it is a much less stable arrangement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby212
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller