Practical Balance and Hair-Spring Work by Walter J. Kleinlein

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Greg Davis, Aug 30, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Registered User

Nov 29, 2000
    Manager of Engineering Programs
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Written in 1925 in Waltham, Mass, this handy pocket-sized book is bound in leather and has gilt-edged pages. The subject of the book is "Truing and Poising Balances. Selecting, Colleting, Truing, Vibrating and Overcoiling Hair Springs."

For such a small book, it packs a lot of chapters... and each chapter has a number of sub-chapters (not listed here)

Chapter I ... Tool Equipment
    Chapter II ... Observation and detailed practice in flat truing
    Chapter III ... Conventional reasons and examinations
    Chapter IV ... Observation and detailed practice in round truing
    Chapter V ... Eccentric pivots, short-arm balances, and methods of correction
    Chapter VI ... Fitting screws -- Effect of temperature variation on truing balances
    Chapter VII ... Special methods of detecting slight errors in pivots and truing of balances
    Chapter VIII ... Poising Balances, Tools Required, Reducing weight of screws, effect of defective pivots
    Chapter IX ... Poising tool better than calipers -- Making alterations without disturbing the mean time
    Chapter X ... Practical Hair Spring Work
    Chapter XI ... Truing hair springs
    Chapter XII ... Vibrating or timing hair springs
    Chapter XIII ... Overcoiling hair springs
    Chapter XIV ... Special tools and notes

The book is written in easily understood (if somewhat archaic) language. I read it before I knew the first thing about watch repair, and had no trouble following it. I did have trouble staying awake, but that happens to me no matter what non-fiction I read. :)

- Greg

2. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Registered User

Nov 29, 2000
    Manager of Engineering Programs
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Written in 1925 in Waltham, Mass, this handy pocket-sized book is bound in leather and has gilt-edged pages. The subject of the book is "Truing and Poising Balances. Selecting, Colleting, Truing, Vibrating and Overcoiling Hair Springs."

For such a small book, it packs a lot of chapters... and each chapter has a number of sub-chapters (not listed here)

Chapter I ... Tool Equipment
    Chapter II ... Observation and detailed practice in flat truing
    Chapter III ... Conventional reasons and examinations
    Chapter IV ... Observation and detailed practice in round truing
    Chapter V ... Eccentric pivots, short-arm balances, and methods of correction
    Chapter VI ... Fitting screws -- Effect of temperature variation on truing balances
    Chapter VII ... Special methods of detecting slight errors in pivots and truing of balances
    Chapter VIII ... Poising Balances, Tools Required, Reducing weight of screws, effect of defective pivots
    Chapter IX ... Poising tool better than calipers -- Making alterations without disturbing the mean time
    Chapter X ... Practical Hair Spring Work
    Chapter XI ... Truing hair springs
    Chapter XII ... Vibrating or timing hair springs
    Chapter XIII ... Overcoiling hair springs
    Chapter XIV ... Special tools and notes

The book is written in easily understood (if somewhat archaic) language. I read it before I knew the first thing about watch repair, and had no trouble following it. I did have trouble staying awake, but that happens to me no matter what non-fiction I read. :)

- Greg