POWER RESERVE INDICATOR BY KAROL ROMAN

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by janekp, Jan 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. janekp

janekp Registered User

May 21, 2011
    My friend KAROL ROMAN began to be interested in some clocks and after building his own clock he developed several inventions including a pover reserve indicator which can be useful to colleagues in independent constructions.

I hope that the photos and benefits will allow you to understand the principle of operation, unfortunately I am not good at English.

Undoubtedly, a useful factor in the clock (k) with the spring drive is the power reserve indicator. It gives an overview of the state of the drive energy of the clock at a given moment. It is carried out most often by comparing the number of rotations of the spring drum roller with the rotations when winding with the rotations of the drum itself during a walk. One of many differential mechanisms is used to fulfill this function. To one input of the mechanism, the shaft is rotated to the second rotation of the drum and the result of the comparison is obtained on the middle element, usually called yoke. The whole mechanism usually forms a stand-alone unit attached to the standard clock construction. It usually consists of;
    a) the transmission unit from the drive with the appropriate transmission and direction of rotation
    b) differential mechanism
    c) the yoke position transmission assembly on the visible part of the housing, realizing the reserve indication.
    Details of the example solution can be viewed here: - https: //zegarkiipasj ...zytkowe-dodatki.
    As you can see the implementation of this complication is complex. It takes up a lot of space and requires the execution of many elements with high accuracy. In order to apply this complication in the new clock I created, I tried to create a simpler construction. In this concept, I assumed that the existing clock elements integrally create a power reserve mechanism by adding additional functions and using their mutual position. I have developed two versions of the solution: -
    Differential "version" A - consists of two coaxially placed discs 1 and 2, on which the front surfaces are made Archimedes spiral shaped groove with a profile that allows cooperation with the gear wheel 3 rotatably mounted in yoke 4. This yoke has the possibility of movement along the radius discs maintaining the position of the wheel axis 3 in a plane parallel to the faces of discs 1 and 2.
    The Archimedean's spiral pitch is equal to the pitch of the teeth of the wheel 3.
    If, for example, turn No. 1 moves the yoke eg to the left, then by turning the dial number 2 in the same direction you will move the yoke to the right, ie return the yoke to the previous position.
    When one of the discs is connected to the drum axis, rotated when winding and the other with the spring drum, we obtain a mechanism that moves the yoke 4 with the wheel 3 to show the state of the reserve by moving the linearly moving indicator.
    Version B. This mechanism consists of two snails made for cooperation with a worm wheel (worm wheel) 3 rotatably mounted in yoke 4 with freedom of movement parallel to the worms, keeping the wheel position 3 tangentially to the snails 5. Snails get the drive from the idler wheel 1 and from drum 2 via a bevel or crown gear. The yoke moves on. left
    with the movement of the idler wheel 1 but with the same direction of rotation of the drum 2, it moves back towards the previous position.
    In both versions, we obtain a linear indication of the power reserve. If necessary, changing this traffic into a rotary one does not cause any difficulties.
    Due to the fact that my technological capabilities do not allow for the construction of version B, I focused on the detailed elaboration of version A.
    And here is the proposal to apply this solution:
    In this solution, the Archimedean spiral grooves are made on the surface of the drum 1 from the side of the disk and on the surface of the additional disk rotated without rotation with the drum roller. The yoke 4 with rotatably mounted wheel 3 is guided in the appropriate notches of the motherboard (so-called platines) That the whole is placed on the side of the dial so there is no problem with the demonstration of indications in the shield window.

Implementation
    Originally made model to check the concept looked like this:
    After making sure that the system is working correctly, I started to make a complete model. The discs are made of bronze, the steel wheel 3, the yoke also made of bronze and the body contained between the brass discs. And this model set in pieces looks like this: -
    The visible disc spring clears the axial clearances of the disc bearings, ensuring the correct engagement depth with the wheel 3.
    In both versions, it is possible to choose the optimal range of the spring work by fixing it on the Archimedean spiral or on the surface of the screws in the right places of resistance not allowing further cooperation with the wheel 3. Of course, the construction should be properly reinforced. Appropriate modifications in these systems will also allow the use of automatic winding watches.
    The model set will be used in the built clock with a giroturbilion-http: //zegarkiclub.p...m-półgodzinnym/
    Thank you for your attention ! Karol Roman.

2  VERSION.jpg VERSION 2  FINAL REALISATION.jpg VERSION 2  PHOTO.jpg VERSION 2 DETALS.jpg VERSION 2.jpg

2. Allan Wolff

Allan Wolff Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Tulsa, OK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Karol,
    As you said, that is a very complicated device but it does provide a linear power indication.