• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Pottery clock.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Has anyone ever seen one of these? It's made in one piece. The broken top corners reveal a brown colored clay with a thick, complex glaze. The columns are applied, pretty nice ...

The customer said it had a tag on the bottom, will post that when I see the clock.

The back door has gone missing and the customer doesn't know what the door looked like.

Any info is much appreciated. Willie X

IMG_20221126_145418.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The lable says: Winstead Clock Co, Winstead Conn, U, S. A.
Willie X

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
The Winsted Clock Co. was a George B. Owen operation in business from 1879 to 1894. However, and subject to correction, I am unaware that the company made “pottery” clocks, whatever those are exactly.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The case is made from fired clay. High fired from the looks of it. The bottom sound board is attached as with porcelain clocks, with four studs, with washers and nuts. Yes, Gilbert movement. Willie X

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Hello,

Tran Duy Ly's Gilbert book has a short section on "Terra Cotta" cased clocks. Nothing there like Willie's.

Jim
I had forgotten about Gilbert's terra cotta clocks. It is not surprising that Owen should have used the same material, given his longstanding association with Gilbert. Perhaps Owen used it first. The Winsted Clock Company was bought up by Gilbert in 1894. The (much more ornate) Terra Cotta clocks shown in Tran are from the 1904 and 1906 catalogues.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I would imagine the bezel is going to be fairly standard to Gilbert's. I've got one I'll have for another day or two if you want a pic.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Yes, I would like to learn the details of the back. I'm pretty sure it had a thin board and a typical swing up steel door. The back is apparently held on with only two fasteners, one at each side??

The corners could have had an accident but maybe due to the kiln going a little hot, or a problem during the cool-down. I used to help run a pottery kiln for a somewhat famous local potter. Talk about tricky business.

In the past, just about anything heavy was often used as a doorstop! Willie X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jabberwalky
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent