Alarm Postman’s Alarm clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by andycole.cole44@gmail.com, May 17, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. andycole.cole44@gmail.com

andycole.cole44@gmail.com Registered User

Jan 30, 2014
    #1 andycole.cole44@gmail.com, May 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Good evening.
    I am restoring a postman alarm clock. Purchased with out weights and pendulum. I have located weights. Can anyone help with correct pendulum length and weight etc I will require to get.
    Thanks Andy

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can you post a picture of the clock? These clocks were made in different sizes and with different movements, so we need to see what you have.

Uhralt

3. andycole.cole44@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2014
    Hi
    Thanks. Hope fully picture attached.
    Andy

9CBE0CBA-4867-4C38-B063-0085F78DC620.jpeg

4. Micam100

Micam100 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Lusted after one of those fastback commandos when I was younger...still do in fact - and is that a H2 Kawasaki behind it? Sorry can't help you with the clock.
    Michael

5. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 Uhralt, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
    It looks like this one will have a short pendulum. Can you show a picture of the side of the movement with the door opened? That would confirm my impression. There is a simple way to find the length by testing. Just take a piece of wire, about 15 inches long, of a thickness that fits within the fork of the pendulum crutch. Form a small hook at the top. Hang the wire on the suspension loop on top the back of the movement. Tape something with a weight of about 2 ounces to the wire, about an inch from the bottom. Give your makeshift pendulum a push and let the clock run. If the clock runs fast, lower the weight, if it runs slow, tape it higher. Repeat until timekeeping is almost correct. Measure the distance between the top of the wire and the center of the weight. Add 1 inch. That gives you the ball park of the length of the pendulum you need.

Your clock may have a "pendulum leader", a wire that comes out of the bottom of the clock movement, shaped like a triangle, to which the pendulum needs to be attached. In that case make your wire "pendulum" shorter, about 10 inches long, and hang it to the leader.

Uhralt

Tobby likes this.
  6. andycole.cole44@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2014
    Hi
    Thank you very much for the information.
    Photos below.
    Cheers Andy

7. andycole.cole44@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2014
    4795287D-6035-46D8-AD64-EA40DCBB4171.jpeg

8. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The movement is bigger than I originally thought, so the pendulum might be longer, but I'm not sure. It would be best to do the test. The clock does have the pendulum leader. I would start with a 10" wire test pendulum first and see what that gives you. If the clock needs a long pendulum, it would probably be around 60" long.

I had such a clock about 30 years ago but I traded it in and can't remember how long the pendulum was. Maybe somebody here has such a clock and can tell you exactly what you need. Otherwise, do the test. It's fun.

Uhralt

Edit: I just found this thread for a very similar clock. It seems you need the longer pendulum.

Postmans Alarm.

9. Ned L

Ned L Registered User

Feb 3, 2009
    Engineering
    N.E. CT
    Country Flag:
    Not exactly like your clock, however this pendulum is about 35 inches, that might get you in the ballpark.

Wag on the wall 5-22-2020 (1).JPG Wag on the wall 5-22-2020 (3).JPG