• For those of you who were having issues connecting to the Forums, it turns out that our modem was not functioning properly. We have replaced it now and the connection to the Forums has been restored. Thank you for your patience.

Posting spreadsheet test

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
Hey, if anyone reads this, try to click on the spreadsheet and change some fields. Let me know if you can or can not change something in the file. Please!

I guess you have to have a Google account to see the sheet?

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
The spreadsheet will send you a message for permission to type anything on it.

The PDF file has to be downloaded to anyones computer to open it.

John Matthews

NAWCC Member
Sep 22, 2015
France
Country
Region
Let's see if it works
Rick - I just edited the original file via my google account.

I am not exactly certain what you are trying to achieve You can certainly share a simple spreadsheet, that other's can edit

John

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
John, thanks

I actually don't want others to be able to edit it. I just accidentally hit accept when your request came through. First time trying to do something like this. Kinda learning as I go. Haha

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I believe that browser extensions will allow the file to be opened without going through the download.

The previous version of the software made a jpeg image of pdf files (usually the first page) and then made that image a link to the file itself which opened in a new window like an attachment does. I liked that behavior, but the person who built it retired and no one else wanted to pick up the effort. One of the reasons is that the software that does the image generation has a know security vulnerability.

I did not think it was all that dangerous but most software folks equate security vulnerability with murder and mayhem.

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
Haha, I don't know what you posted, Tom, but it's definitely not a spreadsheet.

I figured out how to shut off requests to edit and just posted the link in the thread for standard American watch co. It's either working well, or no one looked at it yet, hahahaha. That way someone can look at with without having to download anything, and it will update in real time.

Thanks for taking the time to check in here.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
It is the address I found at your Google reference. Can you post a link to something in your Google docs that has view permissions set?

The code I used just shows whatever you address says is there. I have not used Google Docs much so am not really familiar with it.

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
Here is the sheet, is this what you wanted? If not let me know what you want to look at. Thanks

Reactions: John Matthews

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
We have a markup code GVIEW that creates a window to display your Google Docs file. I have not used it, so I do not know why it is not working.

From what I have read so far, the feature requires a file type extension such as .xls. Your reference does not have a file type such as PDF, XLS, DOC...

Last edited:

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
Rick,
That should work. When I saw that you replied to this thread and clicked on the link in the email I got a message that I had to have Google Drive permission to view, so you may want to keep that in mind, I assume they contacted you for permission?

, I can see the spreadsheet fine when I open the email and view as i would on the MB.

Thanks

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I can see and use the spreadsheet, but that may be because I have been granted access in Google docs.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I think I was mistaken.They can select a single cell and they can zoom the image but they do not seem to have access to change. I was confused by the select action.

It is visible to guests but there may be associated permissions. I will check that. If there are usergroup permissions they will apply to the feature not individual insertions. More later...

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
That's what I get too. No ability to change it. Unless you meant that it updates as YOU change things.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
You may highlight cells, rows and columns but that is the extent of it. That feature is probably useful for screenshots referencing the spreadsheet.

I wish it worked with uploaded attachments and I will probably continue to explore that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Complextime
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Bread Upon the Waters by Tom McIntyre