NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
In the previous version of the software we had the ability to post an image of a document that was a PDF file with a link to the document. We have another feature that provides similar capability. The Google Viewer can display most common office documents.

The editor tool bar has an insert option "..." that you can click to see the insertion feature list. The Google viewer is included in that list. If you place the URL of a document in the middle of the tag.

I believe it works with Office, PDF and Google Docs. This spreadsheet is my solar panel production. :)

Last edited:

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I have a query in to the developer of this feature. It only seems to work if you are referencing a document in Google Docs although it will accept any URL. The Gview window does not show the document from the "foreign" URL.

I think the ability to manage non-image documents without downloading is important, but it is currently controversial because of some security attack vectors. You can tell FireFox to display rather than download files but I cannot get Chrome to do it at all.

Reactions: Rick Hufnagel

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
You need to make sure that the URL has a correct file type at the end. i.e. .pdf for PDF files and .xls (or similar) for spreadsheets. The tool will recognize most file types, but what you got above was the uninterpreted dump of the spreadsheet.If you were a computer you could have read it. :)

Word documents stored in Google docs should also work, but Google docs does not necessarily put the file type in since it does not need it.

You should also be able to handle presentations that are in Google docs the same way. I may have time to explore the range of documents available but I think that any you can see in Google Docs will work as long as the URL includes the file type at the end.

Reactions: Rick Hufnagel

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Google docs imposes a lot of security. I am not sure I can figure it all out.

Apparently if you have a Google account, you can request access. It is less useful than I hoped. That style would be OK in a conversation, but not in a thread.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
It does have limitations.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I can't even see the file in Tom's first post. Nothing but the posted words.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryan8744
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff