Posting Advice

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Dr. Jon, May 17, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming
    Just Two More Days
  1. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Dr. Jon, May 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020 at 7:02 PM
    Since becoming moderator, two issues have come up that divert my attention from European and other pocket watches:

1) References to items for sale
    2) Copyright infringement.

I am new to this so I am open to advice.

On items for sale

I will be defining items for sale as those specifically identified with conditions for sale. For example an items listed at an auction site with bids open, in a some for of media with a description and a price or a solicitation of offers.

To me "for sale" is too vague. Almost anything in my collection is for sale to the first person or organization that approaches me and offers ridiculous money or a trade. For this forum, for sale in a way that will require action from me is being actively listed by the owner or their agent with the expectation that meeting the conditions will will result in a sale.

So far this issue has not come under my tenure

Copyright Infringement -Fair Use

Copyright issues regarding fair use (that is use without permission of the copyright holder) are more difficult to define. Lot of websites and discussion but no clear or even "misted" direction. What follows is what I learned from my searches.

My first principle is that I want to encourage and promote publication and dissemination of horological information. If I view a post as doing this I will be inclined to leave it alone at least until I get pressure from elsewhere. If I view a post as reducing the market for an item I will likely have a conversation but I will delete it if we can not agree.

If a copy of material I can reasonably presume to be copyright protected shows up ,and it advances the discussion, I will probably leave it alone so long as I do not believe it to diminish the market or sales for the material. This assumes it accurately referenced. There is no law regarding how much can be used but if more than page or two and even that much is going to get my attention.

I will interpret copyright in accordance with US law but not being a lawyer I will defer to lawyers who communicate with me.

So far I have not taken action beyond a few conversations but we have had some close calls.

Now back to European and Other Pocket Watches

2. tick talk

tick talk Registered User

Sep 16, 2008
    Country Flag:
    I appreciate having the ground rules clear, so thanks :)

3. Keith R...

Keith R... Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dr. Jon, I'm assuming that you as a collector can still post your
    examples, which I find helpful. Our high end Swiss examples
    often come from you.

I have enough MI Tobias though.

Keith R...

4. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'll add to threads where they advance the discussion and I expect to start some threads using some as examples.

I want these to be about various aspects of European and other pocket horology.

Keith R... likes this.