Post Your Waterbury Clocks Here!

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Sooth, Jul 8, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Below is the picture from Tran.
    453999.jpg

2. MDean

MDean Registered User

Jun 7, 2010
    Retired Elec. Eng.
    Northwest Louisiana
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Steven, Excellent, Thank you very much for your help!

3. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #203 Steven Thornberry, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    Re: Links

This 30-hour, time-and-strike clock does not appear in vol. one of Tran's Waterbury but is shown in vol. 2 from the 1875 catalogue (p. 837, fig. 3176). It is called the Dexter. The patent for the Dexter case design was granted to Robert Dunn on December 20, 1870. He assigned the patent to the Waterbury Clock Company.
    attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg

I discovered four additional patents granted to Robert Dunn in 1870. He assigned these to Waterbury, as well. Three of the patents, all granted August 30, 1870, were for the case designs of the Consort, Ruby, and Persian. The catalogue pictures, as found in vol. 2 of Tran's Waterbury, are shown below. Dunn's fifth patent was granted October 18, 1870. It was a design patent for a clock case that does not appear in Tran, and which I have not been able to identify elsewhere. It is roughly a round-top version of the Persian. Chris Bailey's introduction to Tran's Waterbury (p. 31) lists the Consort, Ruby, and Dexter among the "shelf models with names offered in 1873." The full list of these shelf models includes the "Consort, Courier, Dexter, Eclectic, Rough & Ready, Ruby, Sharp Top, Round Top, Pillar Gothic, Pillar Arch Top and Pillar Tudor." The last five on the list are not in Tran, at least not under the name given in Bailey's introduction. The unknown model patented by Dunn in October 1870, if it was ever put into production, might, I suppose, be the Round Top.
    attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg

I found two examples of the Dexter on antiqueclockspriceguide.com, here. The description of one states that "[a] small paper label on the door says, "Patented Aug.30th, 1870, DEXTER." It is interesting that the label has the wrong patent date, understandable perhaps, as well, since three other clocks offered at the same time had the August 30 patent date.

Although Robert Dunn got the patents for the above-mentioned five case designs, there seem to have been ancestors of some of these cases offered earlier by Waterbury. Tran's Waterbury, vol. 1, p. 408 shows a group of six clocks from 1867. Three of these have similarities to three of the clock cases designed by Dunn: Black Walnut Arch Top (the unknown); Black Walnut Gothic (the Dexter); and the Black Walnut Extra Gothic Pillar (the Persian). There are, of course, notable differences, as well, but possibly they suggested to Dunn the designs of the three later clocks. View attachment 454653

Attached Files:

4. insomniacshotrods

insomniacshotrods Registered User

Feb 20, 2015
    Mailman
    Missouri
    Country Flag:

Was told this Waterbury clock was late 19th century, could someone put a year to it for me please? I think its the oldest clock I own, only movement I have that is pinned. Seen one like it and they said it was from 1875 so just curious, it is one of my favorite clocks. I did the stencil on the glass, it was clear. Thanks , Eric

251426.jpg 251427.jpg 251428.jpg 251429.jpg

5. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:

1875 might be a plausible date for this clock, maybe even earlier. Although steeple (sharp gothic) clocks were offered even into the early 20th century, the pinned movement and the woo mounting blocks mark it as well before then. This particular movement is also found with a patent date of September 22, 1874, on it (see example below). The patent refers to a lifting hook developed by a John Connor of Jersey City, NJ. Here is a link to the patent document. The absence of the patent date on yours suggests that the movement was made before that date, and possibly the clock as well. Does your movement have the lifting hook?

View attachment 456966 View attachment 456967

6. insomniacshotrods

Feb 20, 2015
    Mailman
    Missouri
    Country Flag:
    Thank you so much for the reply. Yes it does have the lifting hook.

7. insomniacshotrods

Feb 20, 2015
    Mailman
    Missouri
    Country Flag:
    #207 insomniacshotrods, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    Oops I thought you meant lifting hook on the great wheel to make it strike without removing dial. I don't see anything that looks like the patent , but I don't see it on the example movement either , so not sure.

8. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    The patented lifting hook is there, but you can't see it from the pictures I posted or, for that matter, from a picture I have of the back. I posted the pictures simply to show the patent date.

9. scaryharry

scaryharry Registered User

Nov 15, 2015
    Male
    mechanic
    The Burgh'
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One of my flea market finds , the case looks like the finish was stripped and never refinished. I cleaned and oiled just the bits I could without removing and disassembling the movement. It has been running for a few months keeping time (close enough for me ) . Very pleasing Westminster chimes. If anyone has any information please let me know. Thank you ! View attachment 456994 251921.jpg 251922.jpg

10. Steve Murphy

Steve Murphy Registered User

Jan 8, 2007
    Male
    Sierra Madre, Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My Waterbury #60, pinwheel movement, 80" tall

312752.jpg

Attached Files:

11. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Steve,

very impressive clock.

Joe

12. owen.or

owen.or Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    retired high school teacher
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I recently purchased this Waterbury wall clock. It is the "Lobby" model. The clock is 39 inches tall. The case is made from oak. It contains a double wind 30 day time only movement. Tran Duy Ly shows an example of this clock from the 1912 Waterbury catalog in his 1989 Waterbury book. The hanging kitchen clock is the Waterbury "Huron" model. David, Owen.or 313258.jpg 313630.jpg 64065.jpg

MQ32shooter likes this.
  13. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Very nice find, David.

14. owen.or

owen.or Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    retired high school teacher
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Steven. David, Owen.or

15. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a couple of Waterburys if someone could be so kind as to give some dates and on one maybe the model name. These two are superb runners, very strong and both strike nice and loud. The small one is an 8-day Cottage Extra according to the label on the back The kitchen clock has no label.
    Don
    314773.jpg 314774.jpg 314775.jpg

Attached Files:

16. steve1a

steve1a Registered User

Jan 6, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    waterbury found in a old barn,

DSCN0221.JPG

17. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i've got three....

both of the regulators have deadbeat escapements, the movement is in a franken-clock

w1.jpg waterbury_jewelers_regulator.jpg waterbury_regulator_no._8.jpg

steve1a likes this.
  18. MQ32shooter

MQ32shooter Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Male
    Garland, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Glad someone brought this thread back to life. I love Waterbury's and this is my latest find. It's a Regulator No. 5 in the two weight version. It's a big clock being about 70". The cases are why I love the Waterbury's as much as I do. Most of the makers built clocks and timepieces that would keep time. But to put that mechanism into a beautifully carved piece of furniture is something special. IMG_8354.jpg IMG_8352.jpg IMG_8351.jpg

Dave T and steve1a like this.
  19. MQ32shooter

NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Male
    Garland, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    David, that Lobby model is very impressive!

20. Mikandcar

Mikandcar Registered User

Dec 2, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi all, I have a very old Waterbury clock that I’m having trouble identifying. It is very heavy and appears to be brass it is 9.25” high and 6.25” wide at the base. Any help identifying would be greatly appreciated
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

21. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
  22. StoveBolt

StoveBolt Registered User

May 15, 2011
    Male
    Retired Fire Fighter
    Brooklyn, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My Waterbury #7 Pinwheel Regulator waiting to be hung up.

3.JPG 4.JPG 6.JPG

23. Mikandcar

Mikandcar Registered User

Dec 2, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Do you have the book that you quoted so that maybe you could take a picture of the page that shows my clock? I have done searches for “geneva” clocks and that is clearly not my clock. All of my searches including “old brass” Waterbury clocks didn’t produce any results either. I was hoping to find another example of my clock somewhere else.

24. MQ32shooter

NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Male
    Garland, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Glad the Waterbury thread got brought to the front. I love Waterburys. Here's another one that I'd not posted previously. A No. 81.

IMG_8439.jpg

25. sapper69k

sapper69k Registered User

Aug 24, 2019
    Male
    Retired Soldier
    Puget Sound
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A recent find that came with out a weight, key or any information.

Waterbury 001.JPG Waterbury 002.JPG upload_2019-8-26_17-34-51.jpeg

I haven't been into it to discover any numbers or information it carries yet.

Had it running with a fishing weight, but it hasn't stayed running using the replacement W weight yet. You can see the rubber band anchor at the top (left in the photo) of the suspension spring.

And I'm still learning more about posting photos...

David

26. barryb

barryb New Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi

Just acquired this Waterbury mantle clock around 18 inches high, both case and movement are in really bad condition so a fair bit of work to come. Movement is marked E.N. Welch, Forest Village, U.S.A.

Barry 20190827_141634.jpg 20190827_141722.jpg 20190827_142118.jpg

27. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Despite the dial, I wonder whether this might be a Welch clock, specifically the Italian No. 2, V.P., from about 1880. There appear to be a few additional holes in the semi-circular dial mounting board. That said, it is similar to the Waterbury Sultan No. I, V.P. from about the same period. I assume no label? BTW and just FTR, it's Forestville, not Forest Village.

28. barryb

barryb New Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi

Thanks for the reply. The extra holes I believe are because the originals were elongated so as a botch new holes were drilled in the dial which explains the extra holes.
    There is no label on the case only markings are on the dial and stamped on the movement plate.
    You are quite right it is stamped Forestville CT ( it was lost in translation;)).
    The pendulum is also Welch style.
    Do you think it has been re-dialed or is the clock original?

Many thanks
    Barry

29. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I can't be entirely sure from what I see. If there are no extra holes in the backboard where a different movement might have been mounted, I would suggest the dial is a replacement. The catalogue illustrations of the Sultan No. 1, V.P., show door glass with some reverse design. The catalogue illustration for the Italian No. 2, V.P. shows plain glass in the door, as on your clock. However, there is always a fudge factor involved in relying solely on catalogue illustrations.

30. llhorton

llhorton Registered User

Jun 6, 2012
  31. llhorton

llhorton Registered User

Jun 6, 2012
    never mind, moving it to the main forum

32. Raymond Gocken

Raymond Gocken Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Attached are 2 pics of a Waterbury works I found in a garage. It has no case or other parts as you can see. Anybody have some idea what it was? It is marked Waterbury clock co. patent 1899 all in very fancy script. I am guessing it came out of a mantel or camel back case.

Waterbury 1899.jpg Waterbury.jpg