Post Your Waterbury Clocks Here!

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Sooth, Jul 8, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    All right, I suspect the Cottage No. 2, shown in Tran from the 1883 catalogue, height 12 inches (Vol. 1); and the 1874 catalogue, height 10 1/2 inches (Vol. 2). Both are shown with winding arbor where yours is, indicating the same movement. The kicker is that there was also a Cottage No. 1, also 1874 catalogue, height 12 inches (Vol. 2). The No. 1 came as both 8-day and one-day, whereas the No. 2 was apparently only a one-day. Whereas the No. 2 could be either time only or time and strike, it is unclear whether the No.1 came as a time only; the 1874 catalogue picture is of a time and strike clock. The 1874 catalogue description itself is unclear, but reads, in pertinent part, the same as for the No. 2, which is an obvious time-only ("Spring-Strike"). Is that clear? I'm confused. Let's call it the No. 2 and go back to bed.

2. Jay Fortner

Jay Fortner Registered User

Feb 5, 2011
    Clockmaker/Watchmaker
    Chiefland,Fl.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Steven, This one is 12".

3. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #153 Steven Thornberry, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    I still opt for the No. 2, per the 1883 catalogue. The No. 1 may have been dropped in favor of the No. 2, for whatever reason. In any event, the Cottage No. 1 name does not appear in Vol. 1 of Tran's Waterbury, only in Vol. 2. Enjoy it. These little cottage clocks always help an attraction for me, and the-behind-the-plates spring is interesting. I want to attribute the design to Silas B. Terry, who worked for Waterbury 1861-67, but I may be misremembering.

Well this article from the December 1995 Bulletin on Silas B. Terry and His Timepieces Outside the Back Plate seems to confirm him as the maker of the movement (well, anecdotally). The same movement as yours seems to be shown on page 741, fig. 9.

4. Jay Fortner

Feb 5, 2011
    Clockmaker/Watchmaker
    Chiefland,Fl.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks again. Yeah, I like the little clock,it's a good timekeeper and will run for 54hrs before it stalls. Both the time and alarm stems are the same size and I use a #5 french key to wind it because the alarm mechanism sits so low that the wings on a regular lenght key won't clear the case.

5. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Nice little cottage timepiece alarm.

Love them "cottages"!

Funky little tablet.

RM

6. Jay Fortner

Feb 5, 2011
    Clockmaker/Watchmaker
    Chiefland,Fl.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks RM, Yeah I think that was applied later in its life. The glass seems to be original,nice and wavy but that transfer has a late 1960's look to it. Flower power lives on!!!

7. Jim Hartog

Jim Hartog Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 6, 2010
    house husband
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello all,

Two Waterbury "Tiffins" came to my attention and since they have some differences I thought I would post them here for the record. Tran has a "Tiffin" on page 865 in the new Waterbury Volume 2. Listed as made in oak or walnut with an optional alarm. I also found one on the web with a thermometer and storm glass on the side pieces.

These ones are both walnut. The colour difference is caused by the fact that one was refinished while the other has its original finish. The refinisher also did not return the glue blocks on the back of the crest and used a brad nailer to attach the back to the case (40 times). Both clocks have the same base, same side pieces, same gong, and the same painted brass hands.

I will summarize the differences by deciding that the clock with the raised applique is the earlier one while the flat pressed one is the later one. Tran's "Tiffin" listing says 1897 and his is the earlier one based on the shadows evident in his picture and the number of "beads" in the center of the crest. The flat pressed one would then be after 1900.

The earlier one (lighter colour on the left of the photos) has raised applique on the crest. The center row of vertical "beads" has eight round elements. The dial is painted. The case box has a round top. The model name label is at the bottom. The pendulum bob is pressed brass with accessories on the rod. The movement has brass plates. The glass stencil is geometric in design. The door frame has a flat surface and is a pressed molding.

The later one (on the right) has a flat pressed crest. The center row of "beads" has seven round elements. The dial is papered. The clock box has a flat top. The model name label is on the top. The pendulum bob is cast spelter with no rod accessories. The movement has steel plates with brass bushings. The stencil on the glass is a marsh scene with birds. The door frame has an angled surface and is a pressed molding.

Since this was done with the "Tiffin" it was likely done with other models in that time period.

Jim

195540.jpg 195541.jpg 195542.jpg 195543.jpg 195544.jpg 195545.jpg

8. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Nice write-up on the Tiffin, Jim. Interesting variations in the same model over a period of (presumably) a few years. I wonder whether abandonment of the rounded case top, the beads and the appliques on the crest were cost-reduction measures or simple stylistic changes. Any thoughts?

9. Jim Hartog

Jim Hartog Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 6, 2010
    house husband
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Steven,
    I'd go with the desire to reduce cost first. The later one has less wood, less brass, fewer cuts, fewer pieces, less gluing, all of which would reduce cost and it looks much the same. At first glance, the listing in Tran's book could work for either one. Also, the competition was doing the same thing. From the listings in Tran's books, all the kitchen clocks from all the manufacturers had become the pressed style from the applique style around 1900. All probably saving money and then, as a consequence, one company could not sell the "old" style very well either. But, I still think the changes are probably cost reduction driven first.
    Jim

10. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, Jim. Such was my impression, but I'm glad to have your thoughts.

11. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Waterbury Rochester

This Waterbury "Rochester" came in for repair yesterday, and since it's not in my older Waterbury book, thought it might be worth documenting. It is large for it's type at 27 inches. Note the dial appears to have been repurposed from a calendar dial, with the original slits covered over. I suspect it might have been done at the factory, as the steel plate movement suggests a wartime clock. My customer has been informed that it dates to 1874, but I don't know if there were any steel plates used before around 1897 (Spanish/American war). Has a heavy pendulum for this type of clock. No extra holes to suspect either the dial or the movement couldn't be original. 195730.jpg 195731.jpg 195732.jpg 195733.jpg 195734.jpg 195735.jpg 195736.jpg 195737.jpg 195738.jpg 195739.jpg

12. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:

Tran's vol. 1 of his book on Waterbury clocks (2d ed., 2001) does show the Rochester in the Calendar Clock section (p. 93, fig. 215), from the 1908 catalogue. I found no mention of it in his recent vol. 2, and it does not appear in vol. 1 outside the calendar clocks section. The pendulum in the catalogue picture appears to be the same.

13. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Thanks, Steven, I never thought to look under calendar clocks. Kind of ironic based on the back of the dial. So I guess the steel movement could date it to the late 1800's.

14. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:

Yeah, the back of the dial seems confusing. The two slits seem appropriate for the bottom dial of a double dial calendar clock, but there is an off-center hole that is also covered up that does not seem right for a day of the month hand. I can't figure it out off hand. The dial paper looks new. Maybe someone replaced the dial and movement?

15. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

It's a rather large dial, 7 inch chapter ring. The paper replacement was well done, but the dial is sort of bashed up where the holes are on the edge. Looking at picture 266, page 105 in my Waterbury book, it does look like the small holes might match up to mount the calendar dial. Some of the dial paper is pushed under the brass, very tightly. The paper is perfectly flat. If it is a replacement, it is quite old, and very well done.

16. Uncle Lem

Uncle Lem Registered User

Jul 26, 2013

Just finished this Waterbury Cottage for my sister. The patent date is 1874. Nice little runner. Robust ticker with a gong that sounds like a much larger clock.

196025.jpg 196026.jpg

17. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Nice little clock, Lem. It's the Racer, shown in Tran from the 1891 catalogue. Came as time only or time and strike, with an alarm as an option. 13 1/2" high.

18. Uncle Lem

Jul 26, 2013
    Thanks for the info, Steven. I've been wanting to pin down the model and year. Interesting about the options. This one has the brass alarm dial, and holes drilled the the mechanism, but no linkage or hole for the bell mount. I wonder if they just pre-drilled all the backs at the factory, or if someone simply yanked it sometime during its life.

19. Uncle Lem

Jul 26, 2013
    Almost forgot! Found this 1920ish Waterbury Fulton schoolhouse as a basket case at an antique show last summer. Time only. Now the primary timekeeper in our living room.

. 196095.jpg

20. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Unless I'm missing something, the movement does not seem to have been set up for an alarm; at least, I don't see the expected lever on the front plate. I see two holes in the picture of the movement that appear to be covered by the label in the first picture. Is the label an addition to the clock?

21. Uncle Lem

Jul 26, 2013
    Good eye. There is no alarm link drop lever, and the label is a replica. My guess is that the backs were pre-drilled, and the time and strike movements had the alarm dial as decoration only.

22. MikeDeB

MikeDeB Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 10, 2013
    retired police officer
    Okemos, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thought I'd post a pic of this beast. It was a flea market mall find and now resides in our living room. According to the paper on the back it's a Waterbury Denmark. Soon it will be overhauled and restored. :)

196166.jpg 196167.jpg 196168.jpg

23. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Nice Drop Octagon, Lem. The case looks superb. :thumb: These guys can be great time keepers. I have an Ingraham drop Octagon from the early 1930's that has kept good time in the 8-9 years I've owned it. It needs work, however, it's now losing 1 1/2 minute a week.

24. Uncle Lem

Jul 26, 2013
    Very nice Denmark! Looks like it might have painted black?

25. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Do you mean from the factory, Lem?
    Mike, Tran shows your clock from a 1906 catalog picture. Cost $8.00 new.

26. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Tran Duy Ly's book on Waterbury clocks (vol. 1, p. 315) shows the Denmark from the 1906 catalogue. Interestingly, the catalogue picture shows the winding arbors inside the center ring on the dial. The dial, however, is different, and perhaps a smaller center ring might account for the difference. Perhaps, also, a different movement. This clock could have been offered a few years either side of 1906. In any event, a nice looking black mantel.

27. MikeDeB

MikeDeB Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 10, 2013
    retired police officer
    Okemos, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Steve. She's a very good runner but cosmetically needs some work.

Uncle Lem. It looks like someone went over it with rattlecan black. Any idea what the Denmark is supposed to look like?

28. Uncle Lem

Jul 26, 2013
    Not specifically. Most of these had some brass or gold gilt work, especially on the feet and columns. I'd be willing to bet the scrollwork on the base was gilt topped as well.

29. MikeDeB

MikeDeB Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 10, 2013
    retired police officer
    Okemos, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The metal appears to be bronze except for the dial pan (the metal that is showing through the paint). I'm sure the scrollwork on the base was gilt topped. I'm just wondering what the case color was; I'm thinking a glossy black when it was made. Right now the case and most of the metal appears to be flat black from a rattle can. There are also 5 or 6 gouges in the top of the case, down to the wood, that have flat black in them as well. This is a good candidate for a complete strip down and restore.

30. JohnC

JohnC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 24, 2014
    #180 JohnC, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2017
    Is this a waterbury case? What can you tell me about it? It has an 8 day movement with hour only strike. Came with a bell but I believe it originally had a gong. Picture is not cut off at top. Thanks in advance. xyzzytom_214217

31. Uncle Lem

Jul 26, 2013
    JohnC - your photo is not showing up for some reason.

32. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    John, I believe this is the picture you tried to post. I was able to retrieve it. The clock is the Waterbury Kenmore and is shown in Tran Duy Ly's book on Waterbury clocks from the 1881 catalogue. It could also have been offered a few years either side of that year. View attachment 453418

33. JohnC

JohnC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Thank You very much! I probably posted too large of an image. I will scale them down in the future. I am an apprentice clock repairer/maker. I am in the process of refurbishing this movement. Main wheels teeth have excessive wear on side where the teeth meet the second wheel. One bent pinion and the center arbor hole is too large and very oblong. This movement gains almost 2 minutes an hour with the pendulum bob at its lowest position. I think my "sensei" is testing me. :)

34. JohnC

JohnC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 24, 2014
    #184 JohnC, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2014
    Thanks again for the info. Bummer though. The top of this case was broken off. Found a pic at http://www.antiqueclocks1.com/woodsd4.htm#Pictures. The clock at that site sold for $400. The good news is that I received this clock as a gift for the work I have been doing as an apprentice and the person I received it from traded some repair work for it. The person he traded paid less than $80 as a winner of an eBay auction for the clock. Once I am done with the repair work I will proudly display it in our living room.

35. JohnC

JohnC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 24, 2014
    This makes me want to buy Tran Duy Ly's book. Is it possible to see an image of this clock from his book posted here? I am considering buying some walnut and seeing if I can restore the case.

36. gwood

gwood Registered User

May 2, 2009
    CA
    Country Flag:
    Just got this Waterbury Iron Front - anyone know anything about it ? 197633.jpg

37. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
  38. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #188 Steven Thornberry, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2018
    What appears to be the same iron front with a different scene and different decorations is found in the recently published vol. 2 of Tran's Waterbury book. The clock shown there is called the Washington and is shown from an 1867 catalogue. Whether your clock would have the same name, I don't know, but the date may be about the same. Tran does caution that many of the iron-front clocks shown can also be found with labels other than Waterbury, e.g., the American Clock Company, New York. In addition to selling their own clocks, the major clock companies had nothing against flogging their movements to the trade. (Please excuse the glare in the upper right of the picture. I often find it more convenient to photograph a page from Tran than struggle to scan it.)
    View attachment 454735

39. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Strangely, I also have a Kenmore I am working on, but it is an Ansonia case with a Waterbury steel plate movement. Strangely, the second clock with this movement in the past few weeks. The other one wasn't a marriage. 197839.jpg 197840.jpg 197841.jpg

40. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Interesting. Ansonia did have a Kenmore ("K" Assortment - 1901 catalogue in Tran), but why it should have a Waterbury movement is unclear to me, though I suppose Ansonia might have felt the need to buy movements elsewhere for one reason or another. Were both of the clocks Ansonia Kenmores with Waterbury movements, or am I misunderstanding?

41. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nope, the other one with this movement was the Rochester you helped me with a page or so back. I think this one was a marriage, likely not the original movement. Just seems like a strange coincidence to have another Kenmore, with a Waterbury movement. You get used to having similar clocks come in close together when you are in the repair business.

42. Jay Fortner

Feb 5, 2011
    Clockmaker/Watchmaker
    Chiefland,Fl.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah,know what you mean. This month has been all brass and glass. Probably take another month to wear off all the polishing compound.

43. JohnC

JohnC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Thank You Very Much!!!!!

44. cszwed

cszwed Registered User

Mar 11, 2010
    1903 Regulator No. 67 198194.jpg

45. MQ32shooter

MQ32shooter Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Male
    Garland, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Beautiful American weight driven clock CSZWED.

46. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My newest find, i was told its a Waterbury Parlour No 39 clock.
    I like it very much, and my wife saw it first and wanted us to get it. 201714.jpg 201713.jpg 201712.jpg

47. Jay Fortner

Feb 5, 2011
    Clockmaker/Watchmaker
    Chiefland,Fl.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good wife!!! I like blue willow. Nice open brocot with jeweled pallets. Does it have a glass?

48. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes Jay a good wife for sure. Yes it has a thick beveled glass looks original.

49. MDean

MDean Registered User

Jun 7, 2010
    Retired Elec. Eng.
    Northwest Louisiana
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Purchased this past weekend, this two figure Victorian open escapement clock has a Waterbury movement. The click spring should have been replaced but it was "repaired", need better word here, see pics. The mounting bolts & figure mounting areas need repair / replacement. Original finish was cleaned with Murphy's oil soap and it came out quite nice. Someone had painted faux gold on all the decorations and figures and did some dial work. Wish they left the dial original. The figures are set temporarily to take the photo.

I do not have Ly's Waterbury book. Would someone please see if this is in the book and provide details and if possible a pic of the catalog example.
    MDean

207289.jpg 207288.jpg 207287.jpg 207286.jpg 207285.jpg 207290.jpg 207291.jpg 207292.jpg 207293.jpg

50. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    This the No. 409. Tran's vol. 2 of his Waterbury clocks book shows it from the 1896 catalogue (p. 690, fig. 2637). It may have been offered a few years either side of that year. Vol. 2 shows 8 figure clocks, with mahogany base, mahogany clock case, and either one of two figures - all from the 1896 catalogue. The clocks were also sold without the figures and base (vol. 2, p. 852, figs. 3233 & 3234). Without the figures, yours was called No. 401; the other style, a round top clock, was No. 400. They are also shown from the 1896 catalogue. These are the only two styles shown for these mahogany figure clocks.

I will try to post a picture later.