Post your Vedette clocks here

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by clockchimes, Apr 5, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. clockchimes

clockchimes Registered User

Apr 4, 2015
    Country Flag:
    #1 clockchimes, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    A new thread for for Vedette clock owners, lovers, and collectors. I have one that I have to get my clockmaker to set up, and then I will post a picture, and a Youtube video. There are some on Youtube which I will try and put on this thread just to give you a flavour of their beautiful chimes.

2. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 Burkhard Rasch, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    We've had this thread some month-or was it years- before,but:for what it's worth,here are the two Vedettes I own:left (pic 1+2) a standard Westminster from 1938 with all papers incl. operating instruction leaflet,the second (pic 3+4) a wonderfull two-melody Westminster and Ave Maria.Wonderfull clocks both,best value for money IMO.
    Burkhard

001.JPG 003.JPG 005.JPG vedette 001.JPG

3. JDToumanian

JDToumanian Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Male
    Locomotive Engineer
    Phelan, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's been a long time since I bought it or had the dial off, but I'm pretty sure this is a Vedette...

Jon

005.jpg

4. isgus

isgus Registered User

May 26, 2015
    Brampton
    Country Flag:
    $_57.jpg

This is mine. Can anyone put an approximate year to it for me?

5. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks like a 1940's model, going by the squatter case and old style signature (they changed to a cursive font by 1950's). Pre-war models tended to use longer, less wide cases (Post 2).

6. rdbeeline

rdbeeline Registered User

Jan 1, 2014
    Diesel truck repair instructor
    Beaumont Ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 rdbeeline, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
    This is my Vedette I believe? I know very little about it but that it is one of the most beautiful sounding and looking clocks I have collected so far in 30 years!. The precision and craftsman ship of the works in this is both clean and stunning! I find this is my most accurate clock to keep time also. I use it for reference for the others. I have had it for less than a year and would like to know more if anyone knows more on this. I can remove the works for numbers if needed for more information. This chime is also Ave Maria. It also repeats the hour chimes five minuets after each hour only on the hour! I have an importer that calls me when something unique arrives in a container from Europe and this was the case with this clock. The small 1/2" X 1/2" red hand painted artist label was loose inside the case when I got it. Could this be the artist who hand painted the information on the face of the clock?
    Enjoy. 1930S VEDETT 1.jpg 1930S VEDETT 2.jpg

RDBeeline. FRENCH BOX CLOCK ARTISTS SIGNED STICKER 1931.jpg

7. chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That clock is not a Vedette - it was made by FFR (Les Fils de F. Romanet - Morbier, Jura). Notable traits include the arrangement of chime and strike trains along with the repeated hour strike (a carryover from older Comtoise clocks). Despite not being a Vedette, it is a fine quality clock.

8. ragobo

ragobo Registered User

Apr 14, 2015
    sales consultant
    Barcelona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi rdbeeline,

Certainly it looks like a vedette clock. On this other thread you can find more information about vedettes and posible dating.

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?74285-Vedette-wall-clocks-case-styles

As for the name signed on the dial it appears to be a retailer located in Villefranche (France). I found this other link with a bill apparently of that clockshop dated on the 31st of december, 1922.

http://www.delcampe.net/page/item/id,258769407,var,J-MOUCHET--HORLOGERIE--BIJOUTERIE--ORFEVRERIE--JOAILLERIE--VILLEFRANCHE--RHONE--LE-31121922,language,F.html

It's not the first time I read about the good sounding quality of those kind of clocks :)

9. rdbeeline

rdbeeline Registered User

Jan 1, 2014
    Diesel truck repair instructor
    Beaumont Ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks ragobo & chimeclockfan!

RDBeeline.

10. rmccall

rmccall New Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Orthopedic/Trauma Physician's Assistant
    Missouri Ozarks
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My Vedette. Inherited from my father, who had made a hobby/business of clock repair/restoration. He was quite the craftsman. Unfortunately, it's in the shop right now - broken mainspring. Miss hearing that beautiful chime! image.jpg

11. bpoole

bpoole New Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello all!
    I have a Vedette that my parents bought in Laon, France in the early 60's. My father was stationed there in the Air Force. It still runs but has been many years since it's been serviced. One of the springs keep slipping when I wind it. (The one on the right) Anyone have an idea of the year or decade it was made based on this picture? Also, would a good clock shop be able to get springs for it?

Vedette Clock.JPG

12. chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks like a mid to late 1930's clock going by the chromed dial numerals, wide dial with long case, and "fridge handle" on the door. A fine clock in every aspect... the chimes should sound great. While Timesavers and other clock parts suppliers should have an inventory of springs, you might like to see what's wrong with the existing spring in case it can be salvaged. Slipping spring may be the result of its end hole (where it hooks into the arbor) being stripped, which would require the end of the spring being trimmed off and having a new hole punched. The spring will be shorter but it may hold up OK.

bpoole likes this.
  13. bpoole

bpoole New Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you so much for the quick response. Many memories. All of my parents old photos show this clock in them. :) Is there a way to determine the exact manufacture date?

14. chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Unless there's anything on the back plate which indicates a given date (0/00, month/year format), the best we can do is give a ballpark range of mid to late 1930's.

bpoole likes this.
  15. bpoole

bpoole New Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I didnt see anything. Awesome info though. Thank you! Looking forward to getting it cleaned up. I love hearing the Westminster Chimes.

16. mauleg

mauleg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Since this thread is back in action, here's my current Vedette:

DSCN0990.jpg DSCN0984.jpg DSCN0995.jpg
    It came to me in pretty rough condition. After a full service including 2 new mainsprings (from Timesavers) and cleaning and repairs for the leaded glass and case, it ticks merrily away. The chimes are some of the best sounding I've heard. The next Vedette I get will be one that plays "Frere Jacques", if I can find one that does not command a king's ransom...

17. chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Another fine clock, and from the same time range as bpoole's. It is somewhat different to see the black iron gong block from this time period as most had a polished gray appearance - with Vedette's black gong blocks not coming into common use until after the second world war. I'd have to say it's the chime sound quality that really sold these clocks, back in the day and now as antiques.

18. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    mauleg,I think that You´ve mounted the tin clip (oposite of the key holder) upside down.For the purpose of it see here: to all Vedette-Owners
    If You need a booklet let me know per PM.
    Best regards
    Burkhard

19. mauleg

mauleg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, Burkhard, sharp eyes! Clip flipped and PM sent.

20. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I recently purchased one of the plainest Vedette clocks I have ever seen RS Westminster chime (5).JPG RS case touchups (6).JPG It is a Westminster chime with 8 chime rods. It is a beautiful sounding clock but I have not seen any like it online.
    Ron

21. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is a Vedette I have in my possession that belongs to some friends. It's beyond my ability to repair at this time, and rather than take it home they told me to use it for spare parts. I hope to get it repaired and return it some time soon.

v1.jpg dial.jpg mfront.jpg mback.jpg tag1.jpg

It has a laundry list for problems, but the main issue is (I think) some bent escape wheel teeth. This might be the cause:
    not good.jpg

Shouldn't the crutch slip a little on the escape wheel arbor? If so it doesn't any more.

Any guess about it's age?

Eric

22. chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It would be from the 1920s, one of Vedette's earlier models. Biggest giveaway on their early Westminster chime movements is the larger chime drum clearly patterned off how Junghans did their own movements. Vedette Westminster chime movements from at least 1930 onward had a smaller 'drum' (really two discs with pins along both sides) and after the second world war they retooled the movements entirely.

23. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    These are 5 of my Vedettes. I have 3 more that are not currently available to photograph

I love the sound of these clocks and the movements are so solid.

Unfortunately, Number 5's heavy beveled glass was broke when I acquired it :(

DPC

Vedettes 3-4.jpg Vedette-1.jpg Vedette 2.jpg Vedette 5.jpg

chimeclockfan likes this.