Post your Seth Thomas clocks here.

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Mike306p/Ansoniaman, Jul 5, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Roger Leon Ross

Roger Leon Ross New Member

Oct 13, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Can someone help me to identify the model name of this 1905 Seth Thomas Adamantine mantle clock. Instead of "columns" on the front of the clock it has these "greek lady statues" of some kind. What are they and what is the model name? Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_20181013_171354.jpg IMG_20181009_190002.jpg IMG_20181013_171410.jpg

2. macaw

macaw Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Minnesota
    Country Flag:
    P1010061.JPG P1010062.JPG Empire No. 17

Kevin W. likes this.
  3. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Realized I never posted pictures of my Chime #5. It sits proudly in the living room with its original key.

7C3D6C36-54C9-4CAC-ADEA-D1F40D44EC5B.jpeg 40D5C26F-3C33-4D03-ADB3-60644EB7B6E1.jpeg 254DB575-0C8D-4BDB-84CF-1195261CFA2C.jpeg AF3E5BA2-F04E-4DCD-BB99-928B4E9EE371.jpeg

4. sapper69k

sapper69k Registered User

Aug 24, 2019
    Male
    Retired Soldier
    Puget Sound
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It says it's a Seth Thomas, I'm not educated in details of authenticity. It was a garage sale / craigslist find for not much more than pocket change.

It's not running yet, and I'm still working on discard-able clocks to get some skill and confidence before I get into some of the better / more complex mechanisms.

It has "89" stamped on the bottom left as you look into the back of the clock, and in the top left is a circle around a diamond with block letter "ST" inside. I know I have seen hands with scripted S and T instead of these more maltese cruciform hands.

The penciled annotation on the door seems to be dated 5/8/45
    Seth Thomas 001.JPG Seth Thomas 002.JPG Seth Thomas 003.JPG Seth Thomas 004.JPG

David

5. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Roger,

This is about a year late, but if you're still out there, I just saw your post and thought I'd take a look for your clock. The model is called the "Dalny" and can be found on page 441 or Tran Duy Ly's book on Seth Thomas Clocks and Movements. It is reportedly from circa 1907. Your example could have most certainly been made several years either side of that date. I don't know what the little winged statuette columns depict.

Hope that helps a little.

A very belated "welcome" to the Message Board.

6. Col. D. John Mustard

Col. D. John Mustard Registered User

Sep 12, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    New Member here!

Two clocks recently bought. The little star pendulum one is from the Seth Thomas City Series "New Orleans" ca. 1879 if I'm not mistaken? The blue felt-like lining looks to have been added.

The other is a mystery. It's quite spectacular in my humble opinion! Though the dial and movement say "Seth Thomas" I find no similar clock pictured anywhere. The glass is unfortunately cracked along the bottom and the alarm mechanism (though not its bell) have been removed. Comments/ ID info would be welcome and appreciated! Thanks.

IMG_4099.JPG IMG_4096.JPG IMG_4097.JPG

7. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I agree the first is the New Orleans. The second is also a city clock, the Lyons. For comparison, see the pictures on the completed auction below (click on view details).

520A: Seth Thomas Lyons Parlor Clock in Rosewood NR - Jul 09, 2005 | Tom Harris Auctions in IA on LiveAuctioneers

Tran Duy Ly's book on Seth Thomas clocks shows the Lyons from the 1893 catalogue, though it likely was offered a few years before and after.

8. Col. D. John Mustard

Sep 12, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Mr. Thornberry! You have solved my little mystery and I am forever grateful.

9. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the NAWCC's Message Board Col. Dijon. :)

10. David B Pendley

David B Pendley Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Any chance you could post a closeup photo of the star pendulum. I have a customer who's is missing the top and I need to know what to look for. Thanks.

11. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's a poor neglected example. Just came to me with a request to "see if I can get it running". On initial observation, I can't see that it's ever been out of the case.
    Seth Thomas 89 Walston 1.jpg Seth Thomas 89 Walston.jpg

12. Col. D. John Mustard

Sep 12, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi Mr. Pendley!

My Star Pendulum (intended or not) is in two pieces and you can see how the "finial" balances in the two "pendant" holes.

IMG_4132.JPG IMG_4136.JPG

13. David B Pendley

David B Pendley Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the photos now at least I know what to look for!

14. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Seth Thomas round top. I am not sure of the age but has Plympouth stamped pinned 8-day lyre movement with stop works and alarm. Nice Rosewood finish, mirrored tablet and ST hands. Newer dial by Frank Machera,.Pleasantville New York.
    Ron

RS taken with Fuji (2).JPG RS examining movement (7).JPG

15. CameraGuy32

CameraGuy32 Registered User

Apr 12, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have a few. I am in Thomaston, named after Seth Thomas, and everyone here seems to have at least one of these in their home.

1977ST001.jpg Banjo1.JPG sussex.JPG StLineup001.jpg

16. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A clean clock is a happy clock! Even without the brass polished.
    Seth Thomas 89 Walston 16 before and after.jpg

17. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    :offtopic:
    There was a miniseries from the 80s with Carol Burnett called 'Fresno'. Below is a quote which I've never forgotten because I thought it was so hilarious at the time, I couldn't stop laughing. It went like this....
    “I rest my case,” Gregory says. But the judge reminds him this isn’t the murder case of his father, but of Louise Latham. So Pat confesses to that one too, because she was so obsessed with her clocks and on the night in question, he was cleaning his gun when she said, “why you stop cleaning that gun and come over here and clean my clock? See, temptation, your honor, so I did just that,” he confesses. :chuckling:
    Fresno (1986) | Miniseries Marathon

Nice job on the Seth Thomas No. 89 Dave. :thumb:

They're pretty good movements in my opinion. That one was definitely headed for trouble if someone tried to run it without servicing it first.

Dave T likes this.