Post Your PEQUEGNAT Clocks Here

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Robert Ling, Jan 27, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Just looking at Skip Kerr's website, I found some interesting happenings with regard o labels and model names. Check out, for example, the Citidel [sic], the Berlin, the Swan.

2. Jim_Miller

Jim_Miller Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Male
    Retired
    Jackson, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Stephen, I'm tried your link, but get an error page.
    Jim

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    So do I, strangely enough. I got to the website through Harold's link in post 8 of this thread, but I now get the same error message using that link. It may be a website/server issue at Skip Kerr's end. But following my link and erasing everything after skipkeer.com/, I got where I wanted. Try this and click on Pequegnat Clocks in the top bar.

4. Jim_Miller

Jim_Miller Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Male
    Retired
    Jackson, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, that one worked. I'm still confused. Mine definitely is the "Victoria", but the rear door has the "Citadel" label. I guess this is one of those unexplained occurrences.
    Jim

5. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Pequegnat Clock photos and info.

Pre 1916 "Berlin" period Maple Leaf fan top.
    RS Complete so far and on display (1).jpg

Ron

6. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Picked up this Brandon 2 time only recently. We had been looking out for a Pequegnat and this one came up at a reasonable price. It has a repair sticker inside from 1936 so I'm going to guess this one was probably made in the 1920s as there is no Berlin reference. It had been neglected and there was some shoddy repair work done in the past but it cleaned up rather nicely in the end and it's ticking away happily now.
    IMG_3347.JPG IMG_3339.JPG

7. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is the second version of the Brandon. Your guess as to its age is about right and it was made up to 1940.
    Ron

8. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is the Simcoe time and strike mantel clock made before 1916 which means that it has Berlin,Canada inscribed on the dial. Berlin was renamed Kitchener Ontario (CAN) during the First World War.

It has passing bell strike on the half hour and coiled gong on the hour. Bought at an antique store in Victoria BC. for a fair price. It is in very good condition though it has a shoddy repair to the dial face that may not be noticeable in the photo. It has the familiar nickle-plated steel plates, common on Pequegnat time and strike clocks. It runs well and there was nothing I could see that needed immediate attention. I re-oiled the movement and will look at it in a year or so to see if it needs servicing.

Ron

RS Pequegnat Simcoe.jpg RS Simcoe_7.jpg RS Simcoe_4.jpg

9. woodlawndon

NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice, I like it. Looks like it's in pretty nice shape too. Is that solder by the 12 or just an imperfection?
    Don

10. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks. It is some kind of tin tab. There is also one at the 6. It looks like an old repair. Not sure I will do anything about it.

Ron

11. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    peudenot clock 003.jpg
    Here is a nice spring driven Piquegnat I bought and sold on EBay several years ago. Evidently they made both spring driven and weight driven regulators.

12. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting. I was not aware that they did.

Ron

13. woodlawndon

NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is the Pequegnat "Jewel" model mantel clock. It strikes a bell on the half and a gong on the hour. It has nickel-plated steel plates and the movement is signed Berlin, Ontario (pre-1916).

My wife Jann was perusing a local online junk/merchandise dealer and spotted this clock. It had a single blurry picture of the front and the only description was "clock". The dial was pretty much trashed, the tin had been almost scrubbed clean. Jann recognized it as a Pequegnat and our winning bid was $13. We were gambling that the movement was intact or at least had all the bits. To my surprise when I picked it up everything was there although very grubby. I suspect the lack of description and condition of the dial kept other bidders away.

It cleaned up quite nicely, the movement is a very strong runner. I replaced the dial with a paper one over the tin original. A nice, humble mantel clock but quite sturdy with a solid oak case. I will happily add it to my growing Pequegnat collection.
    Don

IMG_3953.JPG fullsizeoutput_2fb.jpeg

Rockin Ronnie likes this.
  14. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice clock. I have the Simcoe. The Simcoe is like the Jewel, same dimensions, same oak finish except for the addition of the lion's side handles and the ornate feet. I notice yours is a Berlin, nice!

RS Simcoe_2.jpg

15. woodlawndon

NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Ron, I knew the Simcoe was similar but didn't realize it had identical dimensions. I'm quite happy with it and must say I enjoy working on these movements, very solid.
    Don

16. woodlawndon

NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is the Pequegnat "Pantheon" model. The movement is signed Berlin Ont so it is pre 1916 and has the familiar nickel plated steel plates. My experience with these movements so far is that they are excellent time keepers once cleaned. It strikes a gong on the hour and has a passing bell strike on the half.

We picked this one up at an estate auction, don't know where it's been but it took many sessions with GoJo to clean up, not patina but filth, very bad. I exchanged the dial and bezel with a Jewel model I have while I try to clean it, the original is copper, not brass and is pretty much solid black. Pequegnat sure loved the oak cases.

IMG_4104.JPG fullsizeoutput_32c.jpeg

17. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is my Vancouver tall clock, one of my favourite Pequegnat clocks.

264395_10150223424592913_3109944_n.jpg

18. taliesen

taliesen Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 13, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    • This was the first clock we bought. It was 1978, we were just married a couple of years and living in Sarnia at the time, and I was working at the Shell refinery. Our furniture was mostly early Canadian antiques from auctions and such and we refinished much of it ourselves.

We thought we would like to add a clock to the mix; maybe a American school house clock, but we didn't known much about clocks and clock movements in particular. I had heard about a Canadian clock company called Pequegnat from a pipe fitter foreman at the refinery but we had not seen one.

I was sitting in a truck at the refinery dock one day (Shell - fill "er up and clean the windshield for ships) with a couple of electricians and mentioned that we were interested in buying a clock. One of the electricians said he boarded with a guy who collected clocks. Pega.. Pega.. something.

I said Pequegnat?
      Ya Pequegnat.
      Oh boy here we go ... I asked if he would sell one but the guy who owned them was in Toronto trying to sell the whole collection as a single lot. Oh well.

A couple of weeks later on a Friday evening we got a phone call from the electrician. The guy had not been able to sell the collection in Toronto for the price he wanted, and if we wanted one we were to come over to his place - right now.

I panicked. I didn't know anything about clocks; so I phoned my friend the pipe fitter foreman and asked if he could come along with us. To see a major Pequegnat collection - could he ever.

The collection was huge. My friend the pipe fitter foreman had a book on Pequegnat clocks by Paul Levoie and he was like a kid in a candy store:

There's a "Berlin"!
      There's a "King Edward"!
      There's a "Moncton"!
      There are two "Monctons"!
      There were clocks everywhere, as many as a hundred.

They took us up stairs to room where the guy kept the core of the collection. There were maybe 20 clocks on the wall, but we chose the "Canadian Time". It is a beautiful clock and fit with our early Canadian antique furniture. It is still the core of our collection.
    • We were able to hold on to the collection through two kids and a mortgage, private school and university tuition and in the last couple of years it has started to grow again. It is up to 201/2 (the "half" is a clock movement only that I use it to learn on as I have started doing my own maintenance on the movements).
    • One final thing, I searched for forty years for for the Levoie book that my pipe fitter friend had that night, and I finally found it last summer at a small book store in London Ontario. He had it on ABE Books for a "reasonable" price.

IMG_0964.JPG

19. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would love a weight driven Pequegnat regulator, lately some really nice clocks have come my way.

20. Jim Hartog

Jim Hartog Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 6, 2010
    house husband
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Taliesen,

The dial on your Canadian Time is a railroad dial, I think. Arabic numerals and the 24 hour time are railroad clock requirements. Your clock may have seen service in a train station.

There is nothing in the Varkaris book in regards to railroad dials on Pequegnat clocks. Is there a Pequegnat label on the dial below the 6? I understand that the railroads would put there own dials on.

Maybe someone more Pequegnat/railroad wise can comment on your dial.

Jim

21. Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member

Jan 6, 2010
    house husband
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Taliesen,

Just emailed a clock buddy and he suggested that it might be a military dial since they used the 24 hour clock, too. The railroad people favoured weight-driven stuff, and the Canadian Time is spring driven.

Jim

22. taliesen

taliesen Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 13, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello
    I was hoping someone would comment on the 24 hour / Arabic number dial on my Canadian time, there is some debate within my circle of friends along the same lines as above. Some think that railway clocks were only weight driven regulators others think they would have had both. There is a picture of a Pequegnat Regulator #1 with a 24 hour / Arabic number dial identical to mine in the latest news letter from NAWCC Chapter 33 Toronto (http://torontochapter33.ca/Toronto%20Chapter%2033%20Newsletter%20for%20aug2018.pdf). There are other authenticated railway clocks in the photo collage that are spring driven and have a 24 hour / Arabic numbered dials.
    I remember a clock in the waiting room of the station in my home town of Powassan in the '50s and it was not weight driven to my recollection.
    Maybe the clocks that were used to run the trains and keep them on time were regulators and the others like the one in the waiting room were cheaper weight driven clocks. All would have to be 24 hour / Arabic number clocks.

Richard Dillane
    Chapter 33 - Toronto Ont.
    Chapter 98 - Caloosa (Fort Meyers Fl.)

23. woodlawndon

NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #73 woodlawndon, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    This is the Arthur Pequegnat "Montreal" model mission clock. It has a large, heavy oak case standing 20 inches high and 12 1/2 inches wide with a large, heavy pendulum bob. It is from the Berlin, Ontario era, therefore is pre-1916, the finish was offered as weathered oak. Unlike my other Pequegnat mantel clocks, this one has no bell and strikes both the half and hour on a coiled going.

I picked this one up from an online auction and had my first bad experience using auctions. When it arrived, the pendulum was missing, not good as it was clearly in the pictures. The auction company used a third party shipping company (fairly pricey one too) so we called them first; "nope, never came here with a pendulum". Called the auction company thinking there was no way that they would have it but they managed to find it. They of course shipped it using Canada Post, who you may have heard are in the middle of rotating strikes. It took more than 2 weeks to get here.

But it's all complete now and running nicely.

IMG_4471.JPG fullsizeoutput_3c5.jpeg fullsizeoutput_3c6.jpeg

24. Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member

Jan 6, 2010
    house husband
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello woodlawndon,

The pendulum looks pretty shiny. The numerals are solid brass castings that can be polished, too. The hands are solid brass, also. My Montreal has shiny brass. I also have the Belleville, same mission style, with the two rod strike feature. There are four of this style you can aspire to own. The other two are the Brantford and the Quebec. All good-looking clocks in my opinion.

Jim

woodlawndon likes this.
  25. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for posting your Montreal, woodlawndon. You were quite fortunate to get the pendulum! Not all stories end so well.

Jim, could you also post pictures of the Belleville? Would be great to see two of the Pequegnaut mission style clocks. Posts 5 and 7 show some, but I didn't notice model names on them.

Thanks!
    Pat

woodlawndon likes this.
  26. woodlawndon

NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Jim. Yes, I will be polishing the numbers, I had thought I might keep the patina but the more I look at it the more I think they need polishing. I like both the Quebec and Brantford and will keep my eye out for them but I'm not familiar with the Belleville model, I will look for it too. Sounds like you have an impressive collection.
    Don

27. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have one Peguegnat without a bob, so i always look around for parts, i was offered a complete clock for a low price a few years ago, i kicked myself for not buying it. Its great to see the different clocks that have been collected by this maker. I would love one weight driven, who know i may find one some day.

woodlawndon likes this.
  28. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Picked up this 15-day double spring Moncton in Bloomfield, Ontario this past summer. On the first test to see how long it would run I got 18 days. Very good timekeeper; has a Graham deadbeat escapement. I am not surprised that the Moncton was used by the Canadian National Railway for a number of years. Very good shape. Made somewhere between 1917 and 1941. No label, unfortunately.

RS Moncton_10.jpg RS Moncton_7.jpg RS Moncton_28.jpg RS Moncton_17.jpg

woodlawndon likes this.
  29. Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member

Jan 6, 2010
    house husband
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Belleville,

22" tall, Berlin era, two rod strike. Connell's book says it is rare. I believe my Chapter, 119, donated a Belleville to the NAWCC decades ago since the chapter meets in Belleville, Ontario.

Jim

P1020189.JPG P1020191.JPG P1020192.JPG

PatH, woodlawndon and Rockin Ronnie like this.
  30. Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member

Jan 6, 2010
    house husband
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Rockin Ronnie,

Doug Legge, Cambridge ON, makes good Pequegnat repro labels. His website is justintimeclockdials.com. Oh, and he does dials, too.

Jim

31. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Does the label go on the back or the inside?
    Ron

32. woodlawndon

NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Of the Pequegnats I have that still have labels, they are all on the back.

Jim, The Belleville is pretty nice, don't think I've ever seen one come up for sale.
    Don

33. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting, I found the label for a Maple Leaf kitchen clock (pointed top) underneath the base which I thought was an odd location.

RS Pointed top_32.jpg RS Pointed top_5.jpg

34. woodlawndon

NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is interesting, must be wherever they felt like it as it was going out the door.

35. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What is even more interesting is that it is a Berlin but the label says, Kitchener. Must have been made during the transition period.
    Ron

RS Pointed top_8.jpg

36. Bill Manders

Bill Manders Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Prince George
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is my 1 Pequegnat that I have, I believe it is a Brandon ca: 1918-20.
    They are extremely nice looking and running clocks, and I really like the date feature, this is in 1/4 sawn oak.
    Bill

calender clock 001.jpg

37. woodlawndon

NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is the Arthur Pequegnat "Sydney" model in golden oak that strikes the hour and half on a cathedral gong. The movement isn't stamped which is the first time I've seen that on any of the Peqs I have. The Kitchener label is on the inside bottom of the case. This model was in their 1918 and 1928 catalogues which I believe puts this one in the 1920s, it sits on disc feet.

Somewhat rare is that this one has a 7" dial, I've only been able to find one other on the internet with this size, all others had a 5 1/2" dial. According to Jane Varkaris in her book The Pequegnat Story, some models in the 1920s offered 7" silvered dials for an increased price. Also unusual is that a previous owner has scrubbed off all the silver on the dial leaving it a light gold. I haven't decided if I'm going to re-silver or just leave it alone, it looks ok and is easy to read as is.

The clock is in great shape, it didn't need a single bushing and the case is near perfect, however, someone during it's life decided it needed fixing by completely mangling the pallets by bending them in several directions. I annealed it and spent some time straightening the pallets, I got lucky and it runs fine now. Now to find a place to display, I'm thinking it's time for a Pequegnat shelf on the wall.
    Don

fjdq+DRvTWOX%ZEdKAtdsw.jpg 0QwrwUdGRA+9YQ0mzlMYtQ.jpg dYuR7WniQTePpd325l%+Aw.jpg fullsizeoutput_4e5.jpeg

Rockin Ronnie and PatH like this.
  38. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice clock Don. A silvered dial might look nice as well. But i think your dial looks okay to me. I think i have seen them un marked, the makers name.Nice find Don.

woodlawndon likes this.
  39. Ron Tardif

Ron Tardif New Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    My latest treasure find. Arthur Pequegnat Regulator # 1 weighted wall clock. Why is this clock, which is a patterned after a Seth Thomas Regulator # 2, more valuable than a clock after which it is patterned. That is my understanding from a little digging. Is this so? Kind regards, Ron

20191101_102307.jpg

woodlawndon, Dave T and Rockin Ronnie like this.
  40. Ron Tardif

Ron Tardif New Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #90 Ron Tardif, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2019
    If this is Kevin W. of my friend list, you know I have one. Must be an old post. I just now posted mine.

41. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Ron, yes the same Kevin that you know. Cant really discuss values in this thread. Other than the fact i would say there were more Seth Thomas no 2 regulators made than your clock.

42. woodlawndon

NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is the Arthur Pequegnat "Ontario" model from the Kitchener era. It strikes the hour on a coiled gong and has a passing strike on a bell for the half. Another unsigned movement, the second in a row for me with Kitchener models. The copper bezel is surprisingly in decent shape.

About 2 months ago, Doug posted a Pequegnat with composition feet and lion's head. Up until then I had never seen or heard of these and Jim Hartog pointed out that they are mentioned in Varkaris' Pequegnat Story. I kept my eye out for one of these models and this nice example became available. It has composition feet, lion's head and the upper & lower supports for the wood columns.

The label is on the bottom of the clock and is in good condition. The inside of the back cover has some repairer's notes throughout the years, looks like the purchase date was Sept 5th, 1922. It only needed one bushing and a good cleaning to get it running strong. Nice grained oak.
    Don

F9mwC%4oTCGdbkJhptmVfQ.jpg aiHqu+5dSwKYuqM48CfgNw.jpg PWFeIHlAT02tRTOm4i4HvA.jpg pU9Z2JU3QUyV3Q45tC5zjA.jpg fullsizeoutput_552.jpeg UpvFCTqQRN+xp843dZl9Pw.jpg fullsizeoutput_553.jpeg

PatH likes this.