Post Your PEQUEGNAT Clocks Here

Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
SoCal.
Country
Region
I don't see these clocks very often. I know they made a regulator simular to a Seth Thomas #2.

What other models did they make ?

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Re: Pequegnat Clock photos and info.

Robert, they had a complete line of mantel and wall clocks. Made their own cases and movements.

Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
SoCal.
Country
Region

Did they make big regulators ? like a Seth Thomas # 19, etc.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region

No big regulators, but they made a Vienna looking wall clock (the beaver), and a few models of floor clocks, just time and strike. I don't think they made any Westminister clocks. They had a lot of mission style clocks, including floor clocks.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region

Also, check out message board member Skip Kerr's website. He has an amazing collection of Pequegnat clocks.
www.skipkerr.com

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country

Skip's is a great collection, indeed. Some familiar styles to this American, but also some nice variations.

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region

Hello Robert,

Pequegnat Clock Co. was located in Kitchener Ontario (1900 - 1940 approximate dates). It was the most successful Canadian clock company. The company made a wide variety of mantle clocks and several wall versions (both weight and spring driven). Cases were typically oak; it made its own movements and cases.

There was at least one Bulletin article and one book about the company.

My wife and I visited a Pequegnat clock collector in Canada and was amazed at the variety of clocks the company produced - he had at least 100 different examples and was still looking for other ones.

They are popular with Canadian collectors and US folks living near Canada.

Andy Dervan

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region

Hello Robert,

Pequegnat Clock Co. was located in Kitchener Ontario (1900 - 1940 approximate dates). It was the most successful Canadian clock company. The company made a wide variety of mantle clocks and several wall versions (both weight and spring driven). Cases were typically oak; it made its own movements and cases.

There was at least one Bulletin article and one book about the company.

My wife and I visited a Pequegnat clock collector in Canada and was amazed at the variety of clocks the company produced - he had at least 100 different examples and was still looking for other ones.

They are popular with Canadian collectors and US folks living near Canada.

Andy Dervan
Older Pequegnat clocks will have labels indicating they were made in Berlin, Ontario. This dates them to before 1916, when Berlin changed its name to Kitchener (a reaction to WW1).
Their first manufacturing venture was bicycles, with their company called the Berlin and Racycle Manufacturing company, in the mid 1890's. They continued manufacturing bicycles after getting into clocks around 1904.

JB

NAWCC Member
Dec 27, 2006
Country
Region

I have an Pequegnat. The dial is the same as Jim's but does not have Pequegnat written on it. It is blank. I suppose this is possible. Would this date the clock in any way? I believe this is the 'Ontario' model.

Regards,
Joe

Attachments

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region

Joe, does the label say Berlin on it? I can't make it out. It is the Ontario.
The dial looks right and original.

JB

NAWCC Member
Dec 27, 2006
Country
Region

It does say Berlin. That the dial does not have Pequegnat on it is somewhat of a question or maybe a concern to me. Perhaps an earlier dial that they had not printed their name on yet? They had to start somewhere.

Joe

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region

Joe, some have the name on the dial and some don't. I don't know if that is a feature to help give a year of manufacture. You should send Skip Kerr an email to get his opinion on this.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region

This is a picture of the Pequegnat that i have.This one is in the Canadian Clock Museum.

Attachments

Snitz

Jul 9, 2002
Country
Region
Hello All
Being a collector of Pequegnat clocks I thought I would start this thread , I hope there are more Peq. collectors out there who would like to post their clocks also .

Attachments

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
This would be an excellent thread to start, and I will place a link to it in the Post Your Makers's Name Clock sticky at the top of this forum. An often heard name, but one about whom I know very little. Let's see what comes of it. Thanks to Snitz for starting it.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Good timing Snitz. I have this early (Berlin movement) Maple Leaf in for repair this week.
Perhaps you could put some names to your clocks?

Attachments

Last edited:

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Nice clocks Snitz.
Here is my Vancouver hall clock.

Attachments

Snitz

Jul 9, 2002
Country
Region
The three clocks from my previous post , two are the King Edward model and the other one is an early Canadian time . Here's a photo of my 1st issue Moncton , #1 regulator and the Beaver wall clock in Walnut .

Attachments

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Pequegnat also produced mantel clocks. This is a picture of my Pantheon. Solid quarter-cut oak, 8-day, stike on a coiled iron gong and half-hour passing strike on a bell. I bought this one from the estate of a cabinet maker who had refinished the clock and stained it RED! I much prefer the white or pale oak color the clock is usually found in. Perhaps someday. The dial on this one is marked Berlin (Ontario, Canada), so it could be pre WW I.

Attachments

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
This bike was made by Pequegnat also.I am posting this to see if it works as in another post i could not add pictures.

Attachments

Snitz

Jul 9, 2002
Country
Region
Hi Veritas ,,Just wondering if you have the actual bike or just posted a photo of one ? I was at an antique market back in the early eighties and a dealer had a Pequegnat bike there for sale . I wanted to buy it but the wife wouldn't let me hang it on the wall !!

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi Snitz not sure now where i found this picture.I do wish i owned the bike though.The pic may have come from the Science and Technology web site.
It would be sweet to have to hang on the wall.:)

uncletom

Feb 23, 2006
Country
Region
This is my Pequegnat #1 Regulator variant with a 15 day graham deadbeat movement as is found in the Moncton and Regina models instead of the usual 8 day weight regulator movement. It has two extra carved pieces on the bowtie, and a simply decorated glass. It was obviously specially made as it has just magnificent quarter cut oak throughout.

Attachments

Last edited:

uncletom

Feb 23, 2006
Country
Region
Done so,thank you ! Long ago i lived in Eastview (Vanier City) and I have a great piece of Nepean history, the original metal stencil used by Charles Lemoine, a carriage and sleigh maker of old ,and a member of one of Canada's old families. :).

Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member
Mar 6, 2001
Jackson, Michigan
Country
Region
Here's mine. I haven't done anything to this yet, it's getting close to the top of the list for cleaning. The dial reads Berlin.

Attachments

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
There is a Victoria that ended on Ebay, are the chime rods original to this model?

Last edited by a moderator:

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Yep, they are listed in the catalogue "fitted with Double Strike Movement and Tuned Rods at $1.00 extra." for this model.

Snitz

Jul 9, 2002
Country
Region
Here's a Preston wall clock that I picked up recently . It's fitted with a single tuned rod instead of the typical gong .

Attachments

Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
SoCal.
Country
Region
Hello All
Being a collector of Pequegnat clocks I thought I would start this thread , I hope there are more Peq. collectors out there who would like to post their clocks also .
Hi Snitz,
On Your " Kind Edward clocks " how was the Kings picture put on the glass ?
Thanks, Bob

Snitz

Jul 9, 2002
Country
Region
Hi Bob , I think the King Edward picture was just a water transfer decal that was applied to the glass , thats just my opinion on how it was done . I could be wrong .

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Snitz, I think you are right, they look like transfers.

Snitz

Jul 9, 2002
Country
Region
Picked this one up just the other day , it's the Regina model in mahogany with the 24hr. dial .

Attachments

Snitz

Jul 9, 2002
Country
Region

Just recently picked up this time and strike Pequegnat York wall clock . I've seen a handful of time only ones which are a rare , but never a time and strike one . I was thinking maybe this was a special order from the factory . If anyone else seen one , please let me know . Thanks !!
IMG_1199.JPG IMG_1200.JPG IMG_1202.JPG

Last edited:

Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2012
Greenfield, Nova Scotia
antiquevintageclock.com
Country
Region

RS Brandon_14.jpg
My Brandon 2 (Kitchener) was purchased last year and professionally serviced. Case is in great shape, excellent dial for its age, label intact, original bob. I also have a Maple Leaf fan top coming later in November. Will post a photo when it arrives.
Ron

Johnno1357

Dec 4, 2015
Country

Here is a Brandon 1 (I think). Any ideas how old it is? IMG_20151204_193611670.jpg

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region

Well, I suppose one way to date these is based on whether it was made in Berlin, Ontario, or Kitchener. The name change was in 1916.

Johnno1357

Dec 4, 2015
Country

There is no city listed on the dial, just Canada. The label on the back is missing. i picked it up at an auction in Colorado. It was dirty and unwound, but just a little cleaning and setting up, and its running great!

I suspect it's closer to 1941, but it would be great to track where its been and when...

Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2012
Greenfield, Nova Scotia
antiquevintageclock.com
Country
Region

There is no city listed on the dial, just Canada. The label on the back is missing. i picked it up at an auction in Colorado. It was dirty and unwound, but just a little cleaning and setting up, and its running great!

I suspect it's closer to 1941, but it would be great to track where its been and when...
It would have been made in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada but how it got to Colorado would be an interesting story. I read recently that a vast majority of Pequegnat clocks are still found in Ontario Canada.

Ron

Johnno1357

Dec 4, 2015
Country

Ron, thanks for your help! I paid 13.50 for it and I originally meant to sell it once I got it going, but I really like it. Should I oil the wood or keep it as it is?

Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2012
Greenfield, Nova Scotia
antiquevintageclock.com
Country
Region

Absolutely. They are well made and last a long time if cared for. The price you paid is an absolute bargain. A search on EBay will reveal asking prices that will surprise you.

Ron

Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member
Mar 6, 2001
Jackson, Michigan
Country
Region
Here's mine. I haven't done anything to this yet, it's getting close to the top of the list for cleaning. The dial reads Berlin.
Finally got around to getting this one up & running. I was under the impression this was a "Victoria". I found a label on the back door which calls it a Citadel". are these two models that similar? See post # 30

Last edited:
Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment