Post your MAUTHE clocks here

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by new2clocks, Sep 1, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Another Mauthe. This is the second one in the past month. And I've discovered that they both have the same movement, but one with a countwheel and the other with rack and strike. Wonder now what are the pros and cons of countwheel vs. rackstrike, and why would they manufacture both styles?
    Mauthe 14 day movement.jpg
    They are both rated at 14 days? I'm going to wind them both on the same day and see how long they do run.
    Here's the latest one.
    Mauthe 2nd clock Red Barn 10.jpg Mauthe 2nd clock Red Barn 12.jpg

steve1a likes this.
  2. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice. Does yours have a Divina gong?

Ron

3. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No, it has no name on it. Actually that's why I bought this one, just wanted to see what it had in it! (Before I cleaned it.) The cast iron seatboard and stamped metal base for the gong are all one unit.
    Mauthe 2nd clock Red Barn 2.jpg
    The other one with the same movement, rack strike has a viola gong. Here's before I cleaned it up. And they both sound almost the same. Nice deep resonant strike, but somewhat loud.
    Red Barn clock 5.jpg

Rockin Ronnie likes this.
  4. James Wynn

James Wynn New Member

Mar 16, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I am trying to identify the clockworks for my Grandfather Clock. Thirty years ago while assigned to Nurnburg, Germany a friend gave me this clock. It stopped working some years ago. i want to identify the works and order a replacement. It played westminster chime and has three weights. Another company was not sure but stated that it may be a MAUTHE. I looked up your site up online and would be very appreciative for any assistance that you can provide.

IMG_1627.jpg IMG_1628.jpg IMG_1630.jpg IMG_1631.jpg IMG_1632.jpg IMG_1633.jpg IMG_1634.jpg IMG_1635.jpg IMG_1636.jpg IMG_1638.jpg

5. chronologiker

chronologiker Registered User

Jun 28, 2017
    Country Flag:
    This is not a Mauthe but a "HAWINA" movement. Made about 1925.
    HAWINA means: Hans Winterhalder, Neustadt.
    Hans Winterhalder was a descendant of the wellknown Winterhalder familiy in Neustadt.

Best regards!

Chronologiker

6. James Wynn

James Wynn New Member

Mar 16, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank You for your prompt reply. The Initials HWN now make sense. I am familiar with Neustadt...visited there several times.

7. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    James, welcome to the board.

The clock appears to have been made by Hawina.

Here is a recent thread on Hawina.

The wife found a grandfather clock

There is no replacement Hawina movement available, unless you come across one on e-bay or similar venue.

Your best bet would be to have the movement serviced.

By its look, I would date it to the mid to late 1920's.

Regards.

8. peanuts

peanuts Registered User

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    Retired
    Shaftesbury, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    2018-08-03 11.34.10.jpg WIN_20180808_13_02_52_Pro.jpg 2018-08-08 12.08.47.jpg 2018-08-08 09.28.17.jpg
    I've just acquired my first Mauthe, at a household clearance auction. Sadly, the face has been replaced and the bezel was creased in the process, but even so I think it's going to make a nice clock when I have sorted out the broken crutch and suspension spring.

I'm not altogether confident at dating it – the eagle looks slightly different from the ones in the excellent reference image earlier in this thread – but I'm thinking 1890's. Does that sound right?

Also - I've never come across the device shown behind the chime rods in the last picture. It looks as though it's meant to be used to stop the rods from rattling against each other when the clock is transported but I don't quite see how. Can anyone enlighten me, please?

Simon

ClockCollector likes this.
  9. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I can't answer any questions, but I like the clock. Would be good to hear it when you get it set up.

10. Tatyana

Tatyana Registered User

Jan 2, 2016
    Female
    Saint Petersburg
    Country Flag:
    Simon, nice clock, congratulations!

I think this clock was made in the 1910s.
    Very rare for Mauthe combination of 2 gongs.

BR, Tatyana

11. Tatyana

Tatyana Registered User

Jan 2, 2016
    Female
    Saint Petersburg
    Country Flag:
    I found pics of similar clock, but a little younger.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Please show your movement.

12. peanuts

peanuts Registered User

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    Retired
    Shaftesbury, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There are quite a few similarities with mine, Tatyana – thanks for sharing.

One of your pictures shows the same device under the four chime rods - I'm still wondering what that device is for.

Simon

13. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are two of my Mauthe clocks. One is probably from the latter days of the company.

DSCF0201.JPG Mauthe Wall Clock.jpg

Dave T likes this.
  14. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Those are simply chime rod holders for shipping purposes. If you set both of the jaws shut on the rods, it will prevent them from violently shaking about during shipping. Pretty handy to have if you’re moving the clock anywhere, so that you don’t have to mess with tape and bubble wrap.

The only other German makers that utilized a similar setup that I know of would be primarily Junghans. PHS also made some westminster movements that utilized chime rods and a large coiled gong for the strike. Junghans was usually the big player in this field, with their rare “Gloria Gongs” mounted in a large hall clock and their “Kaiser Gong” mounted near the bottom. Played westminster on a total of 16 rods (4 rods for each note). I have a nice example of a Junghans bracket clock that utilizes their rohr gong for the westminster and a large coiled gong for the hour strike. Sounds just like a grandfather clock, but in a small case size.

Would love if you’d post a video of the chimes when you get a chance. I bet the sound is wonderful!

15. peanuts

peanuts Registered User

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    Retired
    Shaftesbury, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the clarification - I thought that may be what they were for but because they don't rotate freely at the moment I didn't want to force them. I'll have to soak them in penetrating oil and see if I can free them up.

Yes, I'll post video when done - I haven't heard it myself yet as it was a non-runner when I bought it.

Regards
    Simon

16. igoanatol

igoanatol Registered User

May 11, 2018
    Male
    Moscow
    Country Flag:
    I have Art Deco from Mauthe

DSCF8547.jpg

claussclocks and Dave T like this.
  17. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    An interesting aspect of your Mauthe clock is the eagle (adler) trademark on the dial.

Mauthe did not use the eagle trademark on their dials very often. After WW II, Mauthe used a trademark with Mauthe in script, which does show on their dials much more frequently.

Regards.

18. igoanatol

May 11, 2018
    Male
    Moscow
    Country Flag:
    Thanks)
    I think my clock circa 1920, or not?
    Brgds.

19. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Based on the Mauthe trademark dating schedule provided by Oled, a member of this board, your trademark was used between 1921 and 1924.

Regards.

20. igoanatol

May 11, 2018
    Male
    Moscow
    Country Flag:
    Many thanks.
    Brgds.

21. Klorslug

Klorslug New Member

Aug 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Here's some pics of my Mauthe that I bought from my friend at work.
    It's running very well after a quick cleaning and some clock oil.
    I'm guessing mid 40's early 50's judging by the Mauthe emblem?
    There's no trademark on the movement.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

22. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  23. Gmichael

Gmichael New Member

Aug 23, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi John!

I have a very similar clock that I inherited a few years ago, and just 'refound' whilst during a recent move. I'll be posting it shortly..

24. peanuts

peanuts Registered User

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    Retired
    Shaftesbury, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As promised, here is video with audio of the noontime chime and strike. The first quarter coincided with a mantle clock just finishing it's strike sequence but hopefully that doesn't spoil the pleasure too much:

Does anyone think the strike sequence is too slow? I didn't replace the mainspring on the strike side, but I'm wondering if I should have. If it's still striking after a week then I'll leave it.

Simon

Dave T likes this.
  25. Royce

Royce Registered User

Oct 8, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Antique Clock - Mauthe - Gong.jpg Antique Clock - Mauthe.jpg Antique Mauthe Clock - 2.jpg Antique Mauthe Clock.jpg Mauthe Movement-2.jpg I have recently obtained a Mauthe clock through inheritance. This clock has not been run for a minimum of 18 years and did not work upon receipt. I read your entire forum on Mauthe clocks and thank everyone for the knowledge shared. Although I am an amateur, I went ahead and disassembled the movement; ultrasonically cleaned all the parts, reassembled, oiled the pivots and greased the mainsprings. It now is running very well. I, like a number of people, would like any info available on the approximate dating of this clock. I have attached photos of this clock, movement and gong. From my reading, it appears to be very similar to #6 on Oled's FMS trademark Index except for 2 differences: 1) No D.R.P No. 55006 is stamped on the movement. 2) The Eagle's head is facing Left; not Right. Additionally, there is a symbol that may be a "B" under the trademark near the pivot. Any assistance would be most appreciated.

26. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello, Royce, and welcome to the board.

DRP is a form of German patent and is not connected with the trademark.

The eagle's head facing left is very interesting, as I have not seen this trademark before your posting. Others may be able to better comment on this.

In addition to the disparity in the way the eagle faces, the other parts of the trademark concerns me some. The lettering - F M S - does not appear similar to the lettering used in other Mauthe trademarks. The circle and the other parts of the TM appear to have been done very poorly. For a large German clock making company like Mauthe, the "dots do not connect".

Finally, I have no answer for the "B".

Hopefully, others will have more information than I have, but something just does not seem right with the TM.

Regards.

27. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice Mauthe example. Can't add anything to the comments regarding the trademark differences. But it definitely looks original and authentic to me.

28. Royce

Royce Registered User

Oct 8, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks! Possibly it is not an authentic Mauthe although I did note that the Eagle's head pointing left has been reported previously by others but doesn't appear on Oled's Trademark Index. In an earlier version of Oled's Trademark index he had this Trademark listed as #5 without the D.R.P number but subsequently revised it based on his research and added the Number and made it #6 on his list. I appreciate your response!!

29. Royce

Royce Registered User

Oct 8, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Dave T!!

30. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Royce,

Before any definitive opinion is made about your movement, I would wait until some of our European colleagues (Tatyana, tarant and JTD come to mind) have a chance to check their data bases.

I checked the Mikrolisk web site of clock and watch trademarks and could not find the "reverse eagle" TM. I also checked the web site of Charles Davis, which specializes in Japanese logos, but could find nothing. (I checked to see if an Asian distributor received permission to use the TM or modified TM of the non-Asian manufacturer.)

There are other resources to be checked, such as the Lexicon, by H-H Schmid. Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of that wonderful publication and it is in German. Others do have access to the book.

Another issue with your movement, in my opinion, is it does not look German in its design. It appears to be American or Asian. However, many German companies made Amerikanischen style movements for export to the U.S. and the U.K., and I believe that Mauthe made such movements. As a result, I focused on the TM.

Hopefully, we will receive more opinions on your movement.

Regards.

Royce likes this.
  31. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Rockin Ronnie and Royce like this.
  32. Royce

Royce Registered User

Oct 8, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Oleg, sorry to bother you but I ran across your post, recognizing that it was a long time ago, but wondered if you were successful in obtaining any dating information based on the unique Mauthe Trademark shown in your attached picture. The trademark on my movement is also "a bit hairy" and the quality of the Circle, dividing lines and the initials look extremely similar to what you have shown (not of the quality normally seen for Mauthe movements which has been pointed out to me by other experts on this forum). It appears to me from the photo of your Trademark, although it is difficult to see, that the eagle's head is pointing to the left, which is what the trademark on my movement shows. The only difference that I note is that mine does contain the "S". Attached is a copy of the Trademark on my movement.

Any information you may have would be most appreciated.

Mauthe Movement-2.jpg

33. lvan811

lvan811 Registered User

Jun 9, 2014
    Just purchased this clock - Mauthe movement, Made in Wuerttemberg? Interested in finding out more about it

m1.jpg m2.jpg m3.jpg m4.jpg

34. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ivan,

You have an interesting clock, from a dating perspective, in that the movement has a trademark that one of our contributors - Oled - believes was in use beginning in 1946 and after (i.e., post WW II), but also has "Made in Wurttemberg" on the dial.

Wurttemberg did not exist as such post WW II. It was unified with Baden as a regional state within Germany after WW II and was known as Baden-Wurttemberg. See Post 3 in the thread, below.

information about a Wurttemberg clock

There have been other Mauthe movements with the TM on your movement that have been identified by another contributor - Tatyana - as having been manufactured in the 1920's or 1930's. See Post 5 in the thread below:

Mauthe movement dating

Finally, I can not find the TM in a source of clock trademarks that would indicate when the TM of your movement was registered.

What does this all mean? IMO, your clock was manufactured in the 1920's (possibly the 1930's). It looks like a clock that was produced between the wars to these eyes.

Regards.

lvan811 likes this.
  35. Tatyana

Tatyana Registered User

Jan 2, 2016
    Female
    Saint Petersburg
    Country Flag:

I will add pictures of two movements similar to yours.

The stamp on Oleg's movement looks like "hand made".

d588501c489a8f2800b1d42a6393.jpg s-l1600 (11).jpg

BR, Tatyana

36. Royce

Royce Registered User

Oct 8, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Tatyana!! I appreciate your reply. Any thoughts on when this may have been manufactured? Based on Oleg's Trademark Index, I'm guessing Circa 1910.

37. Tatyana

Tatyana Registered User

Jan 2, 2016
    Female
    Saint Petersburg
    Country Flag:
    Royce, I believe this stamp was used for a very short time in 1900.
    Later came a beautiful clear stamp with the eagle.

BR, Tatyana

38. Royce

Royce Registered User

Oct 8, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Tatyana!!

39. Oled

Oled Registered User

Dec 8, 2009
    Male
    Moscow, Russia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello all!

Agree with Tatyana. This kind of movement was the first type of "Amerikaner"-movements Mauthe used - cheaper mass-production movements with cut plates. They called them "Adlerwerke". And seems like they were introduced somewhere around 1898-1900, followed by second model in 1902.

Best regards,
    Oleg

40. Royce

Royce Registered User

Oct 8, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Qleg!

41. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    New acquisition in terrible shape... any idea when this Mauthe grandfather clock was made?

upload_2019-7-11_13-1-5.png

upload_2019-7-11_12-59-26.png

upload_2019-7-11_12-59-49.png

Other pics of case in new acquisition post...

42. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  43. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Registered User

Aug 23, 2019
    Male
    Retired Forester USFS and residential builder
    Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is my Mauthe , circa 1922 by the trademark. Regards, Bob clock PL6116.jpg weights.jpg whole lock from living room.jpg

clock from farther away.jpg clock 34361 markings.jpg closeup top.jpg divine gong.jpg face.jpg GEARS CLOSEUP.jpg

44. Mountain Man

Aug 23, 2019
    Male
    Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  45. Mountain Man

Aug 23, 2019
    Male
    Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry, having newbie trouble posting pictures

46. Royce

Royce Registered User

Oct 8, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice Clock!!

47. Mountain Man

Aug 23, 2019
    Male
    Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks! It sets off our entryway and gives us the correct time as we go out the door. A bonus if it happens to be chiming.

48. Mountain Man

Aug 23, 2019
    Male
    Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  49. plaidmac

plaidmac Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 18, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here’s my “new” Mauthe Clock. Interesting bit: no logo mark on the movement, just a number stamped on back plate: 791623. The back of the case door has the Mauthe art deco eagle logo featuring a clock face.

MautheArtDeco.jpg MautheArtDeco01.jpg MautheArtDeco02.jpg MautheArtDeco04.jpg MautheArtDeco05.jpg MautheArtDeco06.jpg MautheArtDeco07.jpg