Post your LFS clocks here

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by soaringjoy, Dec 12, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. soaringjoy

soaringjoy Registered User

Feb 12, 2009
    Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, it seems you've made my day, because I'm always happy to find a match! :excited:

Your clock was listed as a desk clock, model no. 534.
    The LFS catalogue is undated and I did suspect it to be from ca. 1910.
    With your contribution, I can get a closer dateline - at least pre WW 1 is verified.
    LFS clocks are awfully hard to date by case styles, because they never were "run of the mill"
    and dating by serial numbers is a "no go".

Enjoy the pristine clock and the clip!

LFSca1912.jpg

2. Philip0603

Philip0603 New Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Not working
    Redruth Cornwall
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Always pleased to make someones day Jurgen, and a huge thank you for the catalogue page. I note with interest you are in the Nordrhein-Westphalen, somewhaere around Koln I assume. I was in Nurnberg at the begining of the month and went up to Bayruth. Stayed in Aachen a couple of years ago and visited Koln, will be back again sometime soon.

On a more prosaic note, anybody any idea as to the clocks value. As it is a family peice and relativly rare I have no idea what to list it as on the insurance.

Must go, will list my other clocks in their apropriate areas, there may be more to interest someone.

3. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, I found this "simple alarm timepiece" in Lindy Larson's catalog.
    Really, I'm using sarcasm with a little understatement. This is an interesting piece. The walnut case stands 13.5" H. The movement is front mounted inside the case by 3 screws, held by the dark colored brackets.

One of it's features include a 24-hour alarm setting off the standard 12 hour alarm disc (by an extension of the lifting lever to a snail set manually by another lever under the dial). The top bell alarm is struck by small spinning balls.

Actually, this is the only complete example I've seen. There have been a couple others I've seen for sale over the years, always seem to be missing parts. And not many around, either.

What kind of "genius" had this alarm clock by their bed?

Attached Files:

5. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    More photos:

Attached Files:

6. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice and the first full-metal movement I've seen with the spinning balls alarm so far.
    The patent actually goes back to the old wooden plates Schottenwerke, most often found in LFS "Postman's alarms".
    I think if have that patent, erhh..., somewhere...

7. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jurgen, I forgot...I think the patent posted on page 1 of this thread is for this clock. Thank you! Another search for a specialized clock ends, thank to the internet.

8. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Oops! Told you I had it somewhere.. :D

9. kipper

kipper New Member

Jun 30, 2013
    #59 kipper, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2013
    Hi all new to the forum but would like some imformation/advice on this clock that my late father has left me.i,ve tryed looking on the net but got nothing. The clock runs for around 4 days then stops once wound starts again. As for the other keyhole it seems to be wound tight and the clock does not chime. There is a small metal rod sicking out the top ? .the case seems to have seen better days.the face has " d r patent " at the top and " lfs schutz marke " at the bottom.there is a brass numbered dial in the centre. Below the face is a slider numbered 24 12 0. At the rear of the movement is lfs logo and the number " 1898 ".any advice would be great to find out whether it is worth getting it looking and working like it should. Thank you.

Attached Files:

10. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #60 soaringjoy, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
    Welcome to the NAWCC Message Board, kipper and thanks for showing your clock.
    I have merged your post with our standing LFS thread, in order to keep the brand together.

The D.R. Patent applies to a certain method of alarm bell ringing - by turning balls - and you can read all about it and see the patent on page 1 of this thread.
    A few posts up (# 55) we have had that clock shown already, so now, we know, at least two of those nifty clocks have survived. :)
    However, your clock is missing the bell and the revolving balls for the alarm.

"Schutzmarke" was the German term for trademark, or "brand protection".

11. shamara

shamara New Member

Aug 14, 2013
    He everyone. I'm new to the forum. I came across this site while searching for information to care for our LFS clock. It has been in our family for generations, and is now in my hands. I'm looking for information on how to care for it, to keep it running for another generation.

It runs wonderfully at the moment, keeping practically perfect time. It sometimes loses or gains a minute, depending on the time of year (spring vs winter, etc). But other than that, I really never have to adjust the time. I have oil for it, but what is the right way to oil it and how often? I never polish the outside case, I just use a soft cloth to wipe any dust away. Is this okay or should I be polishing or oiling the case? Unfortunately, I was left with no instructions on care for it and because it is in such superb condition, I really need some help on caring for it.

Thanks for any help!

Image1.jpg

12. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome shamara and thanks for posting your swell LFS clock.
    It is what we call a spring driven "Vienna style" regulator. These were made and offered for quite a long
    period of time, so I can only get you to a dateline around 1890 to 1910, perhaps post 1900 going by feeling.
    The clock case looks like it is in good shape, so you can handle it like any other piece of antique furniture;
    some people polish or wax the cases, others do not. There is no golden rule.
    LFS movements are of the best the German clock industry ever produced and they are well worth of proper
    service. Oiling the movement will not be enough, I'm afraid. It needs a complete disassembly, inspection and cleaning
    about every 10 years at least (some say every 5 years). Cleaning is necessary to remove old oil and grime from bushings
    and pivots - this cannot be done without disassembly.
    Please note that re-oiling alone will damage and harm the movement on a mid-term basis, because dirt and grime will
    grind up moving parts eventually.

13. shamara

shamara New Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Thank you very much for your reply and explaining the frequency that it should be serviced. This is a great help. I do know the clock was inspected and cleaned two years ago in Germany, before it was shipped to me here in the US.

I think my difficulty is going to be finding someone here that can service it. I checked locally and there is no one. The shops I called never even heard of this kind of clock, so they were of no help and there is no way I would allow them to touch it. Is there a list anywhere on this site of reputable clock repair/service shops that specialize in antique clocks in the US listed by state? I have searched a bit, but haven't found anything yet.

Also, thank you for letting me know the age range it falls into, as the clock itself is not dated. You are right about the case being in good shape. There are no scratches, chips or broken pieces. The finish is beautiful. The glass even appears to be original, as it doesn't look to be like typical modern glass. It's very delicate and has some random little bubbles in it. There are actually three pieces of glass on it; one on the front and each side has a piece as well.

It would be such a relief to find someone who specializes in servicing this kind of clock in our area as I would hate for it to fall in disrepair. I suppose, worse case, I could box it up and keep it in storage so as to preserve it. It means too much to me to allow it to get damaged because of not servicing it.

14. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you tell us what state you live in, we could probably make a recommendation :)

15. shamara

shamara New Member

Aug 14, 2013
    New Hampshire :)

16. gailb

gailb New Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Librarian
    Colorado
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am brand new to this site, and not sure I am doing this correctly. Forgive me if I'm not. I have a clock with the "LFS" mark on the back and hope to learn more about it.
    My mother bought it when we lived in Germany in the late 60's early 70's. She thought it was old then and we've kept it in a back room all these years. We didn't run it a lot because it is a very loud clock! I have moved it to my home (in Colorado) and just hung it on the wall and it must not be level as P1050834.jpg P1050821.jpg P1050822.jpg it will not run for more than a few swings of the pendulum.
    Any help or info anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

17. jacobsthlm

jacobsthlm Registered User

Apr 30, 2013
    Magicians, Photographer
    Stockholm, SWEDEN
    Country Flag:
    #67 jacobsthlm, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    Hi

Today I bought my first Grandfather clock. I always look out for anything special and reading this thread made me think that I got another bargin in my hands. As I'm posting it in this thread it's a LFS clock. I have taken a lot of photos of it and already know a little about it. As seen in the pictures there are two patent numbers on the clock. I red in this thread that DRP 142.125 is a patent for a special rack strike mechanism design. It can be seen last in my pictures, I can't say I understand it, but that's another story. The only thing I know of DRP 208.878 is that it was used before WWI, but I don't know what it is for.

As you can se I got the case and all the parts. There is one tiny little part that is broke and that I need to replace, marked with a blue arrow. Please tell me what that part is called, and if you know, where I can find it. I wonder if this is a special piece that has to be made for this clock or can be any brand...?

The weights are heavy, almost 5 kg each (11 Pounds).

I found some smart design, like the parts that makes it possible to open the side panels and the same constructions could be found inside the case, to open the bottom part. I found a number inside the case in the cealing. I wonder what that could be, it's VIIII. The movement and dial are easy to just slide into place in the case. I saw that others could sometimes read a name of a maker on the bell, in the case, but I can't se anything on my.

The seller told me that the clock was bought by someone in his family in 1917.

I hope you can tell me a lot about this clock, or at least anything. I'm sure you can.
    As always, lets leave the value part but I can tell you that I got it for 70 Euro..

All the best
    Jacob

P.S. The clock is 217 cm (7.11 feet).

Attached Files:

18. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A very nice clock, as I see it, and quite a good price, if I may say so! :D

The clock is the Furtwängler No. 105, as listed in the No. 34 LFS catalogue. The catalogue is undated,
    but I guess it's pre WW 1.
    DRP 208878 was granted in April 1909 and was for a silent rack descent.

19. jacobsthlm

Apr 30, 2013
    Magicians, Photographer
    Stockholm, SWEDEN
    Country Flag:
    Jurgen, is it possible to show me that side in the catalogue? Can you please explain "silent rack decent". I tried to translate it but failed. Taking out without noice, I understand but what is the rack? My guess would be the movement and dial, as it slides in very easy but I want to be sure about it.

I red that LFS made the bell so it should be the best result for every case. I got mine working today and I never ever have heard a clock sound like it does. The only way to describe it is beeing inside a Church when they ring with two bells on a sunday when you get the echo in every strike and how it slowly decends.

I'm not sure why but I cant get it to strike at half of an hour. I would love to understand how the clock work and in what ways it's possible to adjust things. Not meaning I would do them, only beeing able to analize problems.

I thought that the clock was new when it was bought in 1917, but the patent numbers tell a diffrent story, right?

Any ideas what the "Pend Schw. 60 Pro Min" means? I read "The size of the escapewheel on the logo changed in 1885 from smaller then a dime to about the size of a dime. This might help with dating it further." Is that the logo they are talking about as the LFS logo on the bottom of the movement is tiny compered to a dime?

20. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The LFS trademark your clock has, was registered in 1895. I do not see much sense in trying to date the LFS trademarks,
    because they changed them slightly several times, but not much is known about that with certainty.

A Deutsches Reichspatent was granted for a period of 15 years under normal conditions, so that means, that your clock
    cannot have been built before 1909. It may well have been built in 1922, for example.
    If the original owner was located in Sweden, it could well be, that the clock was bought in 1917, not meaning that the clock
    was also made in that year. Retailers often had clocks like those on stock for quite some time, before they were sold.

A rack falls onto the snail before a clock strikes and that usually makes a "klonk" sound. A silent rack falls down without making
    any disturbing noises.
    You need to get some clock terminology, like here
    The movement you have is most probably a 3/4 strike, a "petite sonnerie". It strikes the first, second and third quarters (probably)
    once, twice and three times. There is no fourth quarters strike; the full hour is struck on the other side.
    From a distance, I cannot tell you how the movement works exactly. LFS was highly inventive and changed the constructions often.
    It is not a beginner's movement to work on.
    I suggest, you post the movement and the trouble you have with it in the "clock repair" forum.

The small plaque tells you the pendulum swings (Pendel Schwingungen) per minute. Your clock has a genuine seconds pendulum,
    which is very close to human heartbeat, thus having a calming effect to the vicinity it's in. o:)

21. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is the catalogue pic, enjoy it.

LFS-105.jpg

22. jacobsthlm

Apr 30, 2013
    Magicians, Photographer
    Stockholm, SWEDEN
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the picture. It seems like I have the one more exclusive with bewelled glass. That is from the text between the two clocks in the catalogue. I now think that the missing pendlum spring is the only problem with the movement. I found a little "button" on the back of the movement that took care of my biggest problem... I thought I had.

23. localjohn

localjohn New Member

May 29, 2014
    DRP Regulator clock

Hi...I have had this regulator wall clock for about 20 years and looking if anyone can tell me about it.
    The markings on the clock are: DRP 273703...
    Numbers inside are: DRGM No 528470..in between these numbers is LFS inside a starlike circle.............Fr. Pat No.456971
    There is a number stamped: 74397
    There is some damage as it is missing the glass face and the wood around the face is in need of work. The rest of the cabinet is fine as is the beveled glass.

24. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  25. localjohn

localjohn New Member

May 29, 2014
    Re: DRP Regulator clock

Thanks..not sure how it got assigned to this area but couldn't find a way to change it or attach pictures once posted. I kept getting stuck on a loop.

26. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Welcome to the NAWCC Message Board and thanks for posting your inquiry.

The "LFS" in a star-like circle is one of the logos for L. Furtwängler Söhne, a major German maker of wall regulator clocks and many other types of clocks. The number 74397 is most likely a serial number, however there is no database available that could show when your clock was made based on that information.

DRGM 528470 is design protection for a cover of the suspension spring granted 9 October 1912
    DRP 273703 is a patent for a self-regulating quarter-strike mechanism issued 6 May 1914
    FR 456971 is a French patent for removable mainspring barrels, date of issue not found

Your clock could not have been made before May 1914. The DRGM had an initial validity of three years to 8 October 1915 but could have been extended by an additional three years to 8 October 1918. With that stamp present, your clock would have been made either between May 1914 and October 1915, or as late as October 1918.

I am moving your thread to the Clocks General Forum, where it should get more response than here in the 400-Day Forum. If you could post photos it will be very helpful to enable further documentation of your clock.

27. Geoff Nichol

Geoff Nichol Geoff Nichol

May 29, 2009
    Male
    UK
    Country Flag:
    #77 Geoff Nichol, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017

Hi,
    I thought that you might be interested to see My Ebay lucky dip for £25.
    The numbers are
    DRGM No 528470
    FR PAT, No 456971
    DRP 273703
    Serial 52684
    I make it about 1920 to 1929?
    Just given it a clean. I will replace the wire with pins when I have the clock running smoothly
    I have been interested to read the comments re the quality of LFS clocks. While the clock its self is good quality, the strike works seem to be a bit crude . The strike hammer support bracket holes would not align easily with out a bit of easing on re assembly. The strike silencing lever has file marks an a burr. It looks as if the clock was made in one factory and the external strike mechanism added after ?
    xyzzytom_230294 xyzzytom_230293 xyzzytom_230291

28. Geoff Nichol

Geoff Nichol Geoff Nichol

May 29, 2009
    Male
    UK
    Country Flag:
    #78 Geoff Nichol, Aug 13, 2014

Not sure what happened to the photos . Try again.
    View attachment 230335 View attachment 230337 View attachment 230338
    not sure were the last photo come from I can't see it when I edit the post

View attachment 230335 DSCF2109.jpg View attachment 230337 View attachment 230338

29. ambiegigi

ambiegigi Newbie

Sep 16, 2014
    Hello, my husband and myself found this LFS clock in a barn in our french house! We have no idea of its date and no antique dealers know anything about the LFS make! Please can somebody tell me ANYTHING about this clock? We have managed to distinguish some numbers on the mechanics 2621 and a hand carved number cc2-46 (or 8 it is very hard to read) and on the wooden case there are some more numbers but very hard to read too.
    20140916_211700.jpg 20140916_184456.jpg 20140916_184957_HDR.jpg 20140916_183951.jpg 20140916_211731.jpg

30. jacobsthlm

Apr 30, 2013
    Magicians, Photographer
    Stockholm, SWEDEN
    Country Flag:
    I thought I can do a little update about my clock as it's now up and running. I found a similar pendlum feather and when I turned the part that that attach to the feather the "wrong" way to the pendlum it worked a little bit better. It was possible to hook it on the spring, both against the back of the clock and towards it, without changing front/back of the pendlum when swinging. At that point it didn't work for more then a few minutes. I then bought a Nano oil that I used and after that it has been working. About 2 month without any problems....except that I cant get the hands move to anything els then gravity. I don't have any clockmaker to take it to and I'm not a fixer, just an owner. But I like to have it running any way.

Oh, by the way. It seems that my clock only strikes at full hours. It just doesn't look like anything is wrong or missing and when turning the hands it only strikes at full hours. I'm very sure that it's NOT a 3/4 striker...

I have 6 Clocks running in my livingroom and the sound really does make me calm.

Jacob

31. PoeticDestiny

PoeticDestiny Newbie

Oct 17, 2014
    Hello!

I was hoping you all could help me identify a clock, or educate me a little on it. I recently inherited a clock, and honestly all I know is that I am the 4th generation to have it. There is a small circle attached on the rear of the clock that says Pend. Schw. 104 Pro Min, as well as the number 17787 is stamped below a small sun with LFS near the bottom center. I need to have it repaired and don't want to go in not know anything about it.

IMG_5015.jpg IMG_5016.jpg IMG_5018.jpg

Thank you,
    Stephanie

32. Sergei

Sergei Registered User

Feb 26, 2012
    pensioner
    Republik of Belarus
    Country Flag:
    Hello.
    Your watch is made in a factory Lorenz Furtwangler & Sohne (or just LFS).
    In order to determine in what year made ​​about the mechanism, you need to back of photo gear.
    Regards.

Sergei.

33. scottmiami

scottmiami Registered User

May 14, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My girls allowed me some time to play a bit this weekend, so was digging around in my stuff looking for something interesting to play with, and found this.

Not sure to call it a gallery, "postman", or what for sure, but have never seen an LFS before, and don't see any other time only pieces around from my digging as of yet.

Unfortunately, it's missing too many pieces for me to even consider attempting any repairs myself yet, so will probably have to revisit in a few years as my skills & experience develop, but thought it was interesting enough to share some pics:

lfs_7_mvmnt_side2.jpg lfs_1.jpg lfs_2.jpg lfs_3.jpg lfs_4.jpg lfs_5.jpg lfs_6.jpg lfs_7_mvmnt_back.jpg lfs_7_mvmnt_side1.jpg

34. vkanewgirl

vkanewgirl New Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Dear Members,

I have inherited a Grandfather clock from my parents. It is in perfect working order, chimes on the hour and half hour and keeps correct time.
    I know nothing about clocks and would like to hear any expertise about its origin and value.
    The maker's mark shows a dime sized logo with LFS written inside. We assume the date of manufacture is between 1885 and 1929. I am assuming it is Lorenz Furtwangler & Sohne. I am curious to know what the numbers 1963 mean next to the maker's mark.
    I am including some pictures here.
    I look forward to hearing from you.
    Vkanewgirl. IMG_1062 (1).PNG IMG_1064 (1).JPG IMG_1064.JPG

35. JuanU

JuanU New Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Hi, I found this thread and thought you would be able to help me getting some information on this clock such as how to date it and where could I get more information on the maker and the materials it is made of.

The back part of the clock's chest has the LFS marking together with the characters "18 A".

This clock belonged to my grandfather, and though it seems to be, I want to find out more details to know if it is an antique and get some background on it.

I am attaching photos that will describe the clock much better than my writing :).

Though I removed them from the clock to take away a bit of weight from it, I have the three weights it uses.
    And also the point that goes on the top, which I also had to remove, because it didn't fit into my place.

DSC00584.jpg DSC00582.jpg DSC00586.jpg DSC00587.jpg DSC00588.jpg DSC00591.jpg LFSMarks.jpg

Thank you in advance for your help.

Juan

36. glisses7

glisses7 Registered User

Jun 10, 2009
    civil servant
    Mid Calder
    Country Flag:
    #86 glisses7, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    Hi Group

I have just won this clock at auction. It is the biggest Napoleon Hat shape (tambour) clock I've ever owned. Its measurements are: 24 3/4" length, 7 1/2" width, 13 1/2" height approximately. It has quality chain lifts for the chime and strike and has an unusual chime-silent facility which is a lever placed over the back plate of the movement, but not for the strike. The chimes themselves sound great and the clock is working, though could do with an overhaul and a thorough restoration job.

Can anyone tell me the exact year of manufacture, noting that the presentation plaque will make it so much easier?

Thanks.

GAIUS

H Chain Lifts, Back Plate, etc.jpg Chains - Attached to Hammer Shafts.jpg Chime-Silence Lever in Operation.jpg Dial Close-Up.jpg Gem Move - Minus Top Quarter.jpg Gen Front.jpg Presentation Plaque.jpg

37. cleartheway

cleartheway Registered User

Apr 29, 2015
    Country Flag:
    #87 cleartheway, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2017
    Hello soaringjoy - any light you could shed on age range of this LFS clock would be helpful. thinking its over 100 years? appears to be all original and best news is that it works :) attachment.png

Attached Files:

38. cleartheway

Apr 29, 2015
    Country Flag:
    IN addition to the above, I found some kind of signature or potential date on back of dial. Hard to photograph, so including zoom in version as well. By the way, thanks for the edit John and making it look a little better! It appears there is an "11" on the right side. There is also 11 carved into wood case on both top and bottom door and back of clock case. attachment.png attachment.png

Attached Files:

39. Tatyana

Tatyana Registered User

Jan 2, 2016
    Female
    Saint Petersburg
    Country Flag:
    Hi all!
    Cleartheway, I think your clock was made in the 1890-ies.
    Several pages from the catalogue LFS this period.
    BR, Tatyana

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      File size:
      237.1 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      File size:
      223.9 KB
      Views:
    • s-l1600.jpg
      File size:
      230.8 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      File size:
      227 KB
      Views:
  40. cleartheway

Apr 29, 2015
    Country Flag:
    #90 cleartheway, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2017
    Thanks Taty! Very cool catalogue pics. A local expert here in Atlanta got back to me yesterday with similar conclusion. Based on their research they gave a larger gap of 1880-1900. I think probably late 90s is great guesstimate. See a lot of similar features from catalogue pieces. Mine probably a little more basic, but nevertheless outstanding piece. I think it's two tone rosewood. Hard to see in pics that half of both the middle and top pieces are different shades. Looks really cool in light. Thanks again for the validation!!!

41. Howard S.

Howard S. New Member

Feb 19, 2017
    Country Flag:
    #91 Howard S., Feb 19, 2017
    I have an LFS clock, inherited from my great-uncle. Here are a couple of pictures.

Picture 008.jpg Picture 010.jpg

Markings on the movement:

Plate: Barillets a déboiter séparément sans démontage du mouvement par levée du pont et du rochet. D.R.G.M. 776168

Stamped/engraved:
    D.R.P. 273703
    D.R.G.M. No 528470
    FR PAT No 456971

I see two previous posts in this thread of movements bearing the same DRP, DRGM, and French patent, but with serial numbers lower than mine. Would this indicate that all three clocks have the same movement, but that mine is a newer clock than the others? I see some variation in the design of the cases.

I also see that at least one member here (soaringjoy) has a catalogue of LFS clocks. I'm curious whether this one might be in it.

Does anyone know if, once a DRP or DRGM had been granted, the company would have continued to show those numbers on that movement, or if they would have stopped once the protections expired? I.e. how useful are these numbers for determining the latest possible date of manufacture?

And anything else anyone can tell me about this clock would be of interest.

Thanks.

Picture 008.jpg Picture 010.jpg

42. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Cleartheway, thanks for posting your inquiry and the photos of your clock. I would concur with Tatyana that this clock would likely be of 1890s vintage, possibly earlier based on the very low serial number stamped on the movement. Unfortunately no-one has yet published any reliable information regarding how LFS managed their serial numbers so we don't have a firm reference base from which to provide accurate dating. The 28 Aug. 1911 date scratched on the back of the dial in my opinion is a repair date, or resale date or something like that and isn't related to when the clock was made except to say the clock could not have been made after that date.

Very interesting and nice condition.

43. Tatyana

Tatyana Registered User

Jan 2, 2016
    Female
    Saint Petersburg
    Country Flag:
    Hi all!
    Howard, your movement has a patent 776168 (issued 01 April 1921). In my database LFS the lowest number with this patent #68434. I assume the year of manufacture of your clock circa 1925.
    BR, Tatyana

44. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #94 John Hubby, Feb 20, 2017
    Howard, welcome to the NAWCC Message Board! Thanks for posting your inquiry and the photos of your LFS clock. Also, thanks to Tatyana for the information regarding the lowest serial number in his data for the 1921 patent and estimating the date your clock was made.

I've checked out the patent stamps on the movement and find the following:

DRGM 528740 Granted 9 Oct. 1912 for removable spring barrels. This was a design/use protection valid for three years from that date and if LFS paid a fee for another three years.

DRP 273703 Valid from 16 Aug. 1913, granted 6 May 1914 for quarter strike/chime control mechanism that will be on your movement. This was valid for 15 years from file date.

FR Pat 456971 Valid from 23 Apr. 1913, granted 9 Sept. 1913 for a movement with removable spring barrels. This was also valid for 15 years.

DRGM 776168 Granted 1 Apr. 1921 for an attachment to improve the removable spring barrel design. Same protection as mentioned above for a DRGM.

When dating clocks from patent stamps, their grant dates tell you the earliest possible date the movement was made, but not any later date. So, if you find multiple movements with the same DRP stamp but having serial numbers over a range, the movement with the lowest serial number will be the closest to the grant date in age. That is the basis for the information Tatyana provided. I use this technique constantly to home in on "no earlier than" dates corresponding to serial numbers.

In your case, with multiple patents and use protection grant stamps, the one that has the latest grant date will set the "not earlier than" date for when your movement was made.

The practice for stamping of use protection and patent grants generally is they will be found on the movements for as long as the grant is valid. Sometimes they run over the expiry date if a number of movements have been made near the end of the validity and sales haven't kept up. In some instances, as can be seen for DRGM 528740, it was long past its extended expiry date of 8 Oct. 1918. The other patents were all still valid at the time your movement was made.

45. Howard S.

Howard S. New Member

Feb 19, 2017
    Country Flag:
    #95 Howard S., Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Thanks. Great resource here.

Yes. A little disappointing, as it pushes the age of my clock younger by maybe a decade. Although it still qualifies as old. :) This date, however, means that my great-uncle might have been the first owner of the clock.

As you can see from the photo, that information is on a plate attached to the back frame of the movement, unlike the others, which are stamped on the movement itself.

I was beginning to suspect as much.

Howard S.

46. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is a treat. A scarce walnut bracket clock. As found, missing a top finial. Appears to have original fabric behind the back brass fret. Great resonating gong. 302758.jpg 302759.jpg 302760.jpg 302761.jpg 302762.jpg 302763.jpg 302764.jpg 302765.jpg 302766.jpg 302767.jpg

47. CWO

CWO New Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Retired Military Officer
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    310310.jpg

My father picked this up when we were stationed in West Germany in 1961. It's a corner cabinet dated 1904. Only had to replace the suspension spring 3x in 50 years of almost continuous running.

Attached Files:

48. Tatyana

Tatyana Registered User

Jan 2, 2016
    Female
    Saint Petersburg
    Country Flag:
    Hi all!
    CWO, I have a huge request to You - please show the movement of these rare clock. With the numbering from the LFS are not clear, and You are the owner of a clock with the date on the case. It is very valuable to those involved in the study LFS.
    BR, Tatyana

49. isgus

isgus Registered User

May 26, 2015
    Brampton
    Country Flag:
    Hello all. Thought I would add my LFS to this thread. Any assistance with dating is appreciated.

Thank you.

305689.jpg 305690.jpg 305692.jpg 310338.jpg 310340.jpg 310339.jpg

Attached Files:

50. Tatyana

Tatyana Registered User

Jan 2, 2016
    Female
    Saint Petersburg
    Country Flag:
    Hello, Isgus!
    The largest serial number on the grandfather clock in my database LFS - 159810.
    I would guess that your clock is made in late 1920-ies.
    Very interesting double numbering. I assume that where added lying "0" means incorrect serial number.
    I have a picture with similar serial numbers:
    BR, Tatyana 310347.jpg