Post your Lenzkirch clocks here.

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Mike306p/Ansoniaman, Jul 6, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steve burgamy

steve burgamy Registered User

Feb 24, 2002
    Walt,
    Many thanks for your insight....Steve

2. bytes2doc

bytes2doc Registered User
    Donor

Aug 31, 2009
    Physician
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just acquired.

serial number 871955. Ther is a 26 above the logo.

Totally confused as to the date. I find 1870-1875, but also 1880- 1890, yet thers is another list out there?!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

3. onisama

onisama Registered User

Feb 5, 2011
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi all Lenzkirch fan,

This's one from my collection!:D
    FullSizeRender 3.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender 2.jpg

4. LenzkirchFan

LenzkirchFan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Utilities
    Missouri
    Country Flag:
    That's a very sweet mini with the unique bottom hinged door! Thanks for posting.

Steve

5. RJ1

RJ1 Registered User

Dec 4, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Hey All, Recently got this lenzkirch RA timepiece regulator which judging by the serial number discussions here is circa 1880 or so. As you can see the case is a bit of a reclamation project but it appears to be the original case with no extra holes and appears to be mahogany. It has been overpainted and the bottom is missing and the door has been stripped. It runs good. The are no markings on the back of the case. I'm just wondering if anyone has an image of this model in a catalog somewhere so I can see what it looked like originally. There is a unstained line on the back of the clock top that may have supported some sort of trim on the top. Any help will be appreciated. RJ1

Attached Files:

6. LenzkirchFan

NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Utilities
    Missouri
    Country Flag:
    By looking at Everett's date chart, I come up with 1878. That means that you should consider that it was made somewhere between 1876 and 1880. Unfortunately, we can't get that exact date but that date range should be good. I can try to find a similar case but I may not be successful. I'll post it if I find one. Good luck on the restoration! Steve

7. RJ1

RJ1 Registered User

Dec 4, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Hey Steve, Thanks for the fast reply and the dating info. The main thing I'm after is what the bottom actually looked like and the possible head trim. Here's a pic of where the missing bottom attached and the back of the headpiece. I've looked around a bit but having no experience with older lenzkirch styles I can't be sure if it was a traditional type bottom or not and how long it should be. As you can see, the bottom was almost as wide as the body. Anything you've got that may look similar would be great. As for the top, it's kind of strange to me that the missing piece is not straight up and down. Maybe a small carved decoration or possible a mounting place for a finial hole? Or maybe it was just a support for the top itself since it doesn't extend all the was to the very top. Any ideas you have on that would be appreciated. Its going to be a good winter project. Appreciate your help. RJ

Attached Files:

8. gintarasb64

gintarasb64 Registered User

Oct 1, 2012
    Male
    Lithuania
    Country Flag:
  9. LenzkirchFan

NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Utilities
    Missouri
    Country Flag:
    Hi Gintaras,

It is not a Lenzkirch but could be another German maker.

Steve

10. Colin Drake

Colin Drake Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Clock maker, Point Defiance Clock Shop.
    Tacoma, Wa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I currently have five Lenzkirch clocks to post. Four are mine that I will be posting soon. There is a fifth that belongs to a customer of ours, which I will post now.

This first one has a 1.3 million serial number, which, according to Everett's dating, would place it around 1902.
    IMG_0804.jpg IMG_0807.jpg IMG_0792.jpg IMG_0793.jpg
    This clock belongs to a customer of ours and it was in excellent condition, for the most part. There was an unfortunate problem, which you will notice below. Someone evidently decided that monkeying around with the escapement was a good idea. The pallets were both improperly adjusted, and on top of that, the eccentric bushing was compleatly removed, and replaced with the hideous thing seen below. Unfortunately the hole was no longer usable, so I could not borrow a more authentic one from a scrap clock, and a replacement had to be made to fit. Fortunately, it all worked out in the end. and only took a couple hours.
    IMG_0762.jpg IMG_0784.jpg IMG_0791.jpg

This clock was a great reminder of why I love this company. They are just so satisfying to work on.

11. timepast

timepast Registered User

Aug 3, 2006
    Love the idea of such a musical clock.. What size disc does this take. How many discs do you have for the clock?

12. Ontime

Ontime Registered User

Nov 6, 2012
    I'm trying to date a Lenzkirch mantle clock - serial # 411976. Is there data on serial #'s correlating to exact years of production ?

13. Walt Wallgren

Walt Wallgren Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Bay Area, California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Onetime,

Nothing is absolute as there have been no actual production records found as of today.

From my experience, the most accurate gauge there is comes from George Everett in his book, "Lenzkirch, The Unmarked Story." It would place your clock from 1887. If you wanted to pad things a year or 2 on either side, nobody would argue too much.

Hope this helps,
    Walt

14. Ontime

Ontime Registered User

Nov 6, 2012
    Just found this -not sure what to make of it-places it at about 1877 ? http://www.clockguy.com/SiteRelated/SiteGraphics/RefGraphics/Lenzkirch/LenzkirchDatingTable.jpg

15. Walt Wallgren

Walt Wallgren Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Bay Area, California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is the dating chart from Georges book. I own his book and am happy I do. His web site is

http://antique-clock.com.

I find the book to be well researched and while, as I said, the chart isn't perfect, (and doesn't claim to be) I believe it provides a reasonable guide to providing dates for Lenzies. It also provides a reasonable method to identifying Lenzkirch clocks that aren't marked. There are other opinions on this as well and that's OK. I have used the information in this book to evaluate clocks that are claimed to be Lenzkirch and and turn out to be something else.

The book is based on the presumption that if known Lenzies have: Same mount type, same tooth count, same case design, same gong type, same plate spacing, same non-logo identifying marks, same bridge shape, same attachment methods, as well as quite a few other comparable. If an unmarked clock has all the same features, chances are it is a Lenzkirch. If it doesn't, it probably isn't.

Case in point, the back plate on all the early marked Lenzies are pinned to the posts, so if somebody tells you an unmarked clock he is selling is a Lenzkirch and it has screw mounted back plate, you can bet your bottom dollar is isn't.

Hope this helps,
    Walt

16. onisama

onisama Registered User

Feb 5, 2011
    Male
    Country Flag:
    one hand up, I also own Georges book, and really happy with it.

17. onisama

onisama Registered User

Feb 5, 2011
    Male
    Country Flag:
    new one from my collection, look simple case but sexy movement.

DSC_4242.jpg DSC_4263.jpg DSC_4283.jpg DSC_4287.jpg DSC_4295.jpg

Attached Files:

18. Colin Drake

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Tacoma, Wa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, it is an excellent book.

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these. The obvious aside, there is something very interesting about these movements. They appear to have their own set of serial numbers. I have seen one of these (possibly somewhere on this thread) with a "mistake" in the serial number. It was assumed that the factory had not punched the first number or two. However, your's has a number of 5,000, and Kochman, in his book Lenzkirch-Winterhalder & Hofmeier Clocks, shows a number of 10,000 on his. I have yet to see a single one with a standard Lenzkirch serial number.

If you have not read Kochman's book, I would recommend it. It has the original patent For the movement in your clock. The book is centered more around the history of the company rather than the technical aspects that George likes. I would definitely recommend it. Just ignore his clock dating.

19. Colin Drake

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Tacoma, Wa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are two more clocks that I currently own.
    20170105_204819[1].jpg 20161230_145753[1].jpg
    Both the same case. The one on the right has a serial number of 824766, putting it around 1888 or so. The one on the right was made later. I don't remember the number, but I do remember that it was over 900,000, putting it around two or three years after the first. Both bim-bam on the quarters.
    20170105_205013[1].jpg
    (Inside of the first clock)

The left clock I got sometime last summer from a customer who was downsizing. It was serviced by another shop about four years ago. Unfortunately, it has a smudge on the dial where someone tried to clean it, and the strike only runs about four days, and that subsequently stops the time as well. I have not had it out to work on it yet.

The second clock more or less arrived in a bucket. There was a whole lot wrong with it. Starting with the case: brass ornaments had all been removed, there were some terrible scuff marks, the bottom board was broken in half, and the boards that the movement mounted on were all detached from the case. There were terrible paint drips, screw holes were stripped, and the back door was in pieces.

Now for the movement. It was held together with a single taper pin, which, as it turns out does not work. The plates came apart and the springs went wild. Fortunately no real damage was done. Unfortunately, there was quite a bit still wrong. The time barrel had three teeth replaced. None were adjacent, so I don't know how on earth it could have happened. They were replaced with steel pins. 2nd wheel on the time side had a new wheel attached that had a very odd tooth form. wheel was clearly home made and the teeth were not at all the proper shape. The escapement pallets were pretty grooved, there were a lot of puzzling hammer marks in random places and I don't know why.

Fortunately the dial was OK, which is why I got it. Unfortunately I traded for a watchmaker's bench, and can't use the dial. And I had to fix it.

I didn't like it, but I ended up leaving most of the movement alone, opting to simply polish the pivots and replace a few bushings. There was simply too much wrong to really make it all right.
    The case came out alright. I got it all together. It has been running for about three weeks now, and I must say, I have never had such a well regulated clock come across my bench. Some people look down on recoil escapements, but in three weeks, this clock has varied from the atomic clock by roughly ten seconds.

Only two more to post.

20. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Mine looks like some in the photos above , how do I know if it is a Lenzkirch?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

21. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mounting bracket, pendulum hanger, visible part of the movement and hands suggest that's Junghans.

22. LenzkirchFan

NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Utilities
    Missouri
    Country Flag:
    tarant is correct. Definitely not a Lenzkirch. Sorry musicguy. :(

Steve

23. gintarasb64

Oct 1, 2012
    Male
    Lithuania
    Country Flag:
    Hello,

I bought today this Lenzkirch clock and this is my first Lenz :) Every information about the clock is very welcome. Best regards
    Gintaras

Attached Files:

24. LenzkirchFan

NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Utilities
    Missouri
    Country Flag:
    Very nice Gintaras. It is unusual to see a Lenzkirch balcony clock with a time only movement. Enjoy this very nice clock! Steve

25. gintarasb64

Oct 1, 2012
    Male
    Lithuania
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Steve. I have some doubts does case is original. Brass finials looks like new. Maybe there is catalog of Lenzkirch clocks where is posible to compare the model?

Gintaras

26. LenzkirchFan

NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Utilities
    Missouri
    Country Flag:
    I would say that all the brass is not original. It's just not Lenzkirch brass work. They typically used cast brass and not simple stamped flat brass plate which is what looks like is on your case. However, the case looks to be old work by the pictures. I may be wrong but it doesn't stand out as a reproduction like some do and I do not see extra holes on the back where the bracket is attached if it were a marriage. I'm still thinking that the case is original to the movement. It may not have had any brass originally. I can see if I find a similar case in their catalogs. Steve

27. WRabbit

WRabbit Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jun 1, 2016
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I purchased this wall clock recently and thought I'd share a few photos. It's my first spring-driven Lenzkirch and the youngest I've owned.

I assume the 2 on the back plate indicates a 2nd quality movement (by their standards).

Serial # 803217.

Jim

28. LenzkirchFan

NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Utilities
    Missouri
    Country Flag:
    That's an awesome clock WRabbit! You are correct about the large 2. A 2nd for Lenzkirch just meant that they didn't spend as much time buffing and polishing out the machine marks on some pieces. You will find this movement in a large number of higher end Lenzkirch clocks like their wags.

Steve

29. V_t

V_t Registered User

Mar 19, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  30. WRabbit

WRabbit Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jun 1, 2016
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I suggest asking a shop employee if they will pull the movement and let you look at the back. Take a few pictures while you're at it.

jim

31. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor Donor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    V_t,

The clock is known as a free swinger, also known as a wag on wall. I guestimate its date of manufacture from 1895 to 1915.

It does appear to be German, but to confirm that it is a Lenzkirch, a look at the movement will be necessary.

Regards.

32. LenzkirchFan

NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Utilities
    Missouri
    Country Flag:
    I'm thinking that it is a Kienzle. The case is not Lenzkirch or the pendulum. Of course, someone could have put a Lenzkirch movement in the case.

Steve

33. Starjasper

Starjasper New Member

May 18, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I hope I'm doing this right. Had no idea about these clocks until I found one today. I can see possibly the glass dome cover is missing. It's hand scribed a number on the backside and also someone's name. It may be "Manner". The number begins with a cursive "H" and it appears to be up to a 100,000 number but not sure. Missing a knob on the backside and the key. It is working and ticking just fine. Thanks in advance. - Jasmine

34. Starjasper

Starjasper New Member

May 18, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Update: serial number was inside.

35. macaw

macaw Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Minnesota
    I just got this small wall clock at an estate sale, and I was probably the only one to leave a bid. From what I can find, it's 1877/78. Was this this a common case for Lenzkirch? Any info is appreciated.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

36. LenzkirchFan

NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Utilities
    Missouri
    Country Flag:
    Hello Macaw, You have a nice Lenzkirch model 536 spring regular. This was a popular design. I think that I have two in my collection. Enjoy!

Steve

37. WRabbit

WRabbit Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jun 1, 2016
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I may be confused, but I though all Lenzkirch before serial number 183950/207800 were unmarked. Did I miss something previously posted?

Jim

LenzkirchQuestion.jpg

38. WRabbit

WRabbit Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jun 1, 2016
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is the latest addition to my stable. It's very similar to the clocks shown by Colin in post #469.

Jim

001_IMG_1660.JPG 002_IMG_1661.JPG 003_IMG_1662.JPG 004_IMG_1663.JPG 005_IMG_1664.JPG 006_IMG_1565.jpg 007_MG_1642.JPG 008_IMG_1643.JPG

39. Kirt Parker

Kirt Parker New Member

Oct 17, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have a Large Lenzkirch Free Swinger Wall Clock, with A 10" Diameter Copper Colored Metal Face & 6" Diameter Copper Colored Metal Pendulum. The Clock is made of Dark Hand Carved Wood and is 39" Tall x 18" Wide x 6" Deep. From the Trademark and Serial Number, I determined that this Clock was made in Germany by Lenzkirch in 1860. But I have been unable to find another Lenzkirch Clock that looks anything like this one. The Clock runs perfect and is Complete (except it has a hinge, where a front Glass Dial Cover was once attached). Does anyone know about how much this clock is currently worth? (Contact Kirt Parker by Email: KKP1958@gmail.com).

Clock-1860 (Germany, Lenzkirch, Free Swinger Wall Clock, 8 Day Key Wind).jpg

40. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Case of this clock is in art - nouveau (or Jugendstil) style and couldn't be made earlier than at the beginning of 1900'. Show the movement.
    We can't discuss about values here.

41. Kirt Parker

Kirt Parker New Member

Oct 17, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Did not want to take clock off wall and take apart again since it is running very good, but here is the information on the Lenzkirch Movement of my Clock:
    "LINZKIRCH A.U.G." Trademark & "26 1 Million 229948" to the right and below Trademark. Thanks for your help, Kirt Parker.

42. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Movement with SN 1(229948) was made about 1899 - 1900.