Post your Kroeber Clocks Here

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Richard T., Jul 3, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Richard T., Jul 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
    It will be interesting to see the variety of Kroeber clocks that out in our message board world. Please post photos of what you have.

I only have two. The only porcelain clock that I have ever owned is a Kroeber. It is China No. 22 shown in LY's Kroeber Clocks in both a catalog illustration and an actual photo, circa 1898. The hands were missing and the pair on the clock are temporary until better ones are found. The porcelain is in excellent condition and the cobalt blue/gold is a good color. The movement is made by Seth Thomas for Kroeber and has the patented pendulum arrangement (a bar above and below the bob to allow movement of the clock without removing the bob). The photo shows one of the rings at the top of the bar. The other is on the lower bar and needs to be reattached to the pendulum.

The other is the Krober "Alabama" being discussed in another thread under new acquisitions. It is a double statue figural, Circa 1895. https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=63942

Part of the photos did not post so will add them.........Two of the photos had the same number and couldn't be loaded until I changed one.....photos are not in order:confused:

Best,

Richard T.

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      File size:
      125.9 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      File size:
      296.9 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      File size:
      107.5 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      File size:
      114.9 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      File size:
      169.6 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      File size:
      194.4 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      File size:
      163 KB
      Views:
  2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Thanks to Richard for starting this thread, which can now be accessed through the sticky at the top of the forum. It should prove interesting. I have a few examples that I will be posting later.

3. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    To continue with three modest examples, below is the Newton (ca. 1883 per Tran) with Kroeber's patented (1881) pendulum, and two possible Fuller and Kroeber clocks (both 8-day), the time and strike with a signed Noah Pomeroy movement. The latter two were discussed here.

4. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    In the name of consolidation of information, I thought I would post a few of the images associated with my earlier Kroeber Angel Swing thread. For additional images as well as the comments and discussion that followed, please use the link:

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=63553

REMEMBER: for this link to work, you must be an NAWCC member and logged in.

The value of a thread depends upon its (no apostrophe) content, which in turn depends upon the participation of other MB'ers.

RM

Attached Files:

5. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Here is my one and only Kroeber,the Arch Top model in mahogany and a great time keeper.If I recall from Ly's book this is ca 1878 +-
    Happy Fourth,
    Bruce

Attached Files:

6. Missy

Missy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 27, 2004
    Female
    Ms.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is a F. Kroeber "Montana". Embossed back plate possiblely by Phelps & Bartholomew. It is missing the feet and middle ornament on base. Also missing the top ornament on clock case and the wavy sword in warrior's hand.

Missy

Attached Files:

7. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks to all for posting your clocks. Surely there are more Kroebers than these.................:confused::)

Best,

Richard T.

8. itbme1987

itbme1987 Registered User

May 18, 2008
    Male
    Technology Support Engineer
    NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is my India model clock.

Attached Files:

9. Larry

Larry Registered User

Jul 22, 2002
    Male
    engineer
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's my mirror side.

Larry

Attached Files:

10. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Larry,

Thanks for posting your "Occidental".

Best,

Richard T.

11. RTC

RTC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

here is my #33 regulator thanks all i am thinking of selling this clock .
    sometimes they have to go : (
    001.JPG

002.JPG

12. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice clock. You should list it in the 4sale site, if you are a NAWCC member.

13. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thought I would post a somewhat unusual Kroeber wall clock.

Case sides are turned laminated walnut. Front is nicely contrasting bird's eye maple veneer on pine. This is unusual as typically the front of this style of case was plush decorated. The front of the case is additionally decorated with pressed metal roaring lion's heads ornaments. The bezels are glazed spun brass.

For similar plush front examples, see Tran's Kroeber book, pages 101-2, fignures 216-7.

There is a small printed paper label on the upper outer backboard, with losses, referring to Kroeber's patent on this case design (see scan below from Slobin's monograph, the full reference is reported in the Angel Swing thread).

There is also an additional printed paper label on the inner back board of the case.

If memory serves faithfully, the movement is a 30 hour steel spring driven time and strike brass movement supplied to Kroeber by Gilbert. Sorry, ain't taking this one apart. Gilbert is known to have supplied these movements to Kroeber. See above cited Tran reference for confirmation.

RM

Attached Files:

14. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    At's a spicy meatball, all right. Per Tran Gilbert supplied the 8-day movement for the plush version (called catalogically Unlisted K318); so, it is not fanciful to suppose the 30-hour is also Gilbert.

15. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    #15 rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, Jul 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
    Thanks! It is a "speecy-spicey meata ball" (the old Alka-Seltzer commercial).

In fact, the examples I've found in the literature or online, which are far from plentiful, have been 8 day rather than 30 hour clocks.

And that leads me to discuss another distinquishing characteristic of this clock. Besides being 30 hour and the use of a bird's eye panel instead of plush for the front, the dimensions of the case set it apart as well.

The dimensions of the cases of the 8 day versions, examples of which may be found in Tran's Kroeber book and on line, are reported to be 13 inches, +/- tall x 11 inches wide x 3 inches deep. My clock is only about 11 1/2 - 3/4 inches at its longest point x about 9 1/4 inches at its greatest width x about 3 1/2 inches deep ( that includes the projecting front moulding). So, it would appear that the 30 hour version was housed in a smaller case!! Also makes it a miniature wall clock, too?

I've cut and pasted some examples I've found on line.

RM

56.jpg
    "Kroeber Oval Wall Clock, 13 inches long with 3 inches dial, time and strike, walnut case, original finish, eight-day movement..."

57.jpg
    "Rare and unusual F. Kroeber gallery type clock. Great cherry case, polished and shining. Chewed and chipped in 2-3 places. Wood box behind holds the movement, gong, etc. The old original movement is signed, "Gilbert Mfg. Co. Winsted, Conn". The label inside the case reads, "F. Kroeber, agents for New Haven, E.N.Welch, Jerome, and other companies". 8 day, pendulum movement, strikes an iron bell; yes, all that in this small 13 inch case. The dial ring has the Kroeber patent date on it, "May 10, 59". Red cloth on the front. Original, complete, rare, unusual..."

16. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    All very nice. But, the mini is, IMHO, nicer, and the bird's-eye maple has it all over the plush (again, MHO).

17. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thanks again!

RM

18. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Beautiful !!, I also am a fan of the Birds Eye Maple not only a Mini but a great wooden front.
    Regards,
    Bruce

19. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thank you!

RM

20. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thought I would post another little Kroeber.

This model is given the politically incorrect name "Dwarf".

The solid walnut case is 6 3/4 inches (handle standing up) x 4 3/4 wide x 2 1/4 deep. Note decorative brass bosses in each corner of the front. The spun brass glazed bezel covers an original paper applied to metal dial.

Applied to the outer back board is a paper label, albeit a bit dark with losses.

The steel spring driven brass lever time only movement is, if I recall correctly, a little Laporte Hubbell. Sorry again about being lazy and not pulling off the dial.

This clock can be found in Tran's Kroeber book, page 84, figures 147-8.

RM

Attached Files:

21. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Tran does mention it as having a Hubbell movement.

22. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thought I would post a Kroeber wall clock that I virtually never encounter, though the experience of others may be otherwise.

The case is solid walnut, except, I believe, for the back board which is pine (been a long time since I looked). It's really nicely made and finished. I believe that the finish is possibly rubbed down but original. I must comment that I have found that some of Kroeber's cases are well made and the finishes applied to them really seem to stand up to the ravages of time well.

To access the pendulum, there is an arched lift out gate decorated with a pressed metal roaring lion's head. This is the same ornament used to decorate the front of the last clock I posted on this thread. This decoration was employed on the lift out gates of other clocks I have owned and of which I have seen published examples. I have little doubt it is original to the clock.

The glazed spun brass bezel encloses a white painted metal dial with black Roman numerals.

The lower inner surface of the back board bears 2 printed paper labels. The upper is a Kroeber label with the business address of 10 Cortland Street in NYC. The lower has instructions for regulating the clock.

If memory serves faithfully, the unmarked movement is a steel spring driven brass 8 day time and strike movement which I believe was produced by New Haven, one of his known movement suppliers and for whom he also had served as a sales agent. Sorry, not taking this one apart either.

This model was called the "Round Head". In Tran's Kroeber book, page 101, a catalogue illustration from 1875 of a timepiece version of this clock is shown in figure 213. Note that the lift out gate is without the lion's head decoration. A similar example of the timepiece model from C. Kent Kroeber's collection is shown in figure 214 and is dated c. 1878. Note this clock also lacks the lion's head on the lift out gate, but has what appears to be wood 1/2 sphere applied bosses between the outer moulding of the "head" and the bezel.

According to C. Kent Kroeber writing in Tran's Kroeber book, the address on the upper label of this clock would date it to between 1868-74. 5 different types of labels were used during this period. The ones believed to have been used the earliest indicated that Kroeber was an agent for other manufacturers. At some point, Kroeber no longer advertised this activity on his labels. Thereafter, 2 separate ones were used. One identified him as a manufacturer and dealer in clocks. The other was an instruction label. These 2 labels are present in this clock (sorry, gong got in the way of my photo). For an example identical to the upper label in this clock, see Tran's Kroeber book page 535, figure 1916.

RM

Attached Files:

23. Chris

Chris Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Nov 4, 2001
    Clock and phonograph repair
    Ellsworth, Maine
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My only Kroeber is a dark green China 22. It still has the original pendulum and its paper label. 190.gif

24. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Chris,

I had posted my No. 22 China at the beginning of the thread but wanted to shown them side by side.

Yours is much nicer with the porcelain dial. I also need a better pair of hands.

Best,

Richard T.

Attached Files:

25. Great looking clock... I'm jealous. I have several Kroeber shelf clocks with the door hiding the bob. I can only dream of finding one like yours someday.

26. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for your kind comment!

RM

27. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Time for another Kroeber, a small shelf clock.

The walnut case has rather rudimentary incised decoration on the door and front of the base. Note, however, the carved pierced scroll at the top of the door. The door glass is original and was never decorated.

The outer lower back board of the case bears a printed paper label identifying this model as the "One Day Blue Light". The 8 Cortland Street address dates the clock to between 1874-82. Apparently 23 different styles of labels were used during Kroeber's sojourn at this address.

The 4 inch dial is printed paper applied to a gilt washed metal dial pan. There is an embossed brass disk for setting the alarm.

The movement is a steel springed brass 30 hour time and strike movement signed by E. Ingraham and Co. This firm is known to have supplied movements to Kroeber. There is absolutely no evidence that this case has ever contained any movement but this one.

There is a separate steel springed brass alarm movement. Note it has stop works! The clock strikes and alarms on the same nickel covered bell.

Note the barrel pendulum that retains its original nickel plating and gilt wash.

The clock came with what was billed as the original key. Could be?

See Tran's Kroeber book, page 278, figures 906-6. Note the dimension's given in this reference state that this clock is 14 inches tall rather than the measurement I obtained of 14 3/4 inches to the top of the carved ornament. This leaves me scratching my head a bit. I've looked at the entries in Tran's book for other clocks of this type with a 4 inch dial. Except for the Frolic which is reported to be 14 inches tall, others, for example the Emerald and Despatch, are 15 inches tall. Could it be a misprint in the book or was this model made in more than one size? None the less, I still consider it a miniature walnut gingerbread.

RM

Attached Files:

28. SZZZL

SZZZL Registered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Here is my one and only Kroeber.

Don't know much about it so feel free to update me with any knowledge.

It has a door you can remove to see the Pendulum

I do think it's made from Walnut around the 1870's - 1880's

Attached Files:

29. Here is my contributions (4) to the Kroeber post.

Three for sure are Kroeber’s with labels, one is actually an unknown with no label.

7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

The unknown has the alarm with the winding arbor on the bottom left of the case. The every thing about the case and movement speaks Kroeber, the dial looks out of place though. Unfortunately, a past owner stripped the case when restoring and I believe that's when the label was lost.

SZZL… take the top off of yours and you have one just like mine. Mine shows no sign of ever having a fancy top-not.

30. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    This is the Arch Top Extra shown in Tran Duy Ly's Kroeber book from the 1875 catalogue. ClockJim's is shown from the same catalogue and called the Arch Top. Kroeber mad the basic model for a number of years, beginning in the mid-1860's. Several of Kroeber's earlier models, probably under the Fuller & Kroeber label, were continued or re -issued in later years.

31. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Clock Jim,

Just to add to what Steven has already said.

In Tran's Kroeber book, pages 268-72, it appears that over the years, Kroeber fiddled with the Arch Top +/_ the word "Extra", adding the ornament on top, taking it away, other variations in the case, etc, etc.

Your last clock on the viewer's right looks like the version on page 270, figures 872 and 874.

A bit hard to see the pics, but, the first clock on the viewer's left looks to me like it might be the Fuller and Kroeber version of the Arch Top, page 268, figures 865 and 867?!?

RM

32. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #32 Steven Thornberry, Aug 2, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
    Taking a second look, I agree with Rm about the identification. A look at the movement might be beneficial. Fuller and Kroeber often (if not exclusively) used Noah Pomeroy movements. These earlier Kroebers seem to be showing up fairly frequently of late.

33. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Ok. Here's the last Kroeber I currently own.

It is a wall timepiece.

The case is solid walnut of rather thick stock in a Neo-gothic style which was rather popular in the late 19th century. Very architectural...and heavy. I've included pics of some of the wonderful details of the case as they are rarely shown to full advantage in the standard references. The finish is original and has not degraded with time. Note that someone painted the wall around the clock and got some on the back edges of the case. For an American manufactered clock, I think this case is of much higher quality than the vast majority and I believe it is what distinquishes a number of Kroeber's products from the rest of the pack. The clear glass in the door is original and was never decorated.

There is a printed paper label adhered to the lower portion of the outer back board which identifies this model as the Regulator No. 46. An identical label is shown in Tran's Kroeber book, page 539, figure 1924. The 14 Cortland Street address dates this clock to 1883-7. As some of these labels include "Old Number 8", this apparent change in address may indicate a change in the street numbering scheme rather than that the firm had actually moved. It is believed that the reference to the old street number scheme was dropped by 1885.

The lower inner back board has a beat scale printed on thin metal bearing the Kroeber name.

The dial is paper on a metal pan.

Note the "long drop" version of the Kroeber patented pendulum which is original and retains the original gilt wash. A picture of a pendulum just like this one is shown in Tran's Kroeber book, page 565, figure 2009.

It has a steel spring driven 8 day brass time only movement. If memory surves faithfully, it is as shown in Tran's Kroeber book, page 555, figures 1981-2 and is attributed to New Haven. Sorry, too lazy to pull a second dial in a 24 hour period.

Pictures of the time and strike version of the No. 46 are shown in the same reference, page 117, figures 268-9.

RM

Attached Files:

34. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    I picked this one up at a local antique shop last week. It's a Saratoga model.

It'll probably be available in Syracuse.

Ralph

Attached Files:

35. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Nice clock.

If I recall correctly, these clocks had procelain dials. To my way of thinking, the use of which is kind of unusual in a Victorian American shelf clock.

Also if memory serves me correctly, these clocks were ebonized, had gilt incised carving, and were inlaid as well. Just another example of how Kroeber took the extra time to make better cases that were in fact in the latest taste of the time, in this instance, Japanese aesthetic (yes? no?). The Saratoga was one of a number of clocks, both wall and shelf, produced by this firm which featured cases with varying combinations of ebonization, carving, inlay, turnings, porcelain dials. Even if one doesn't like their Victorian excess, you sort of have to acknowledge that they a cut above the rest.

IMHO, the design of products of many of the American companies at this time were rarely as interesting. Makes me wonder who guided this? Was it Kroeber, were there others who designed the cases, did it have something to do with being in the heart of the center for design and trends for the country?

RM

36. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    RM,

You're right, the dial is porcelain. The center section is repaired.

You're also right about the incised decoration. Some of it appears to be satin wood or some other light wood inlayed...and some is gilded.

Ralph

37. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    RM, that's a great hanging clock. I see you like mirrors, too. They are good for reflecting clocks at various angles.

38. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for your kind comment.

That clock was one of my early clock purchases about 20 years ago. I bought it at an outdoor antiques show on the Cape. I remember carrying it to by car like a baby.

I love mirrors too and have accumulated a small subcollection of a vairety of them.

RM

39. Don DeMarcus

Don DeMarcus Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is my one and only one I THINK.

It is the California, known to me as the California Girl since it is mine. Bought it at an Antique fair here in Pleasanton, CA

Enjoy.

Attached Files:

40. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't have this clock, but it is one of the more interesting clocks I've seen. The minimalist dial looks futuristic. Does anyone have one of these? Copied from "Antique Clock Price Guide".

Attached Files:

41. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I agree with you. Nice clock. Have never seen that model in the flesh.

Let's face it. Kroeber did a lot of mundane stuff. However, he did some pretty nice stuff as well. I personally think more than most makers of the period. This clock is an example.

Also, when one considers his company wasn't the size of nor did it have the resources of some of the larger ones of the time, it's impressive what he did. Maybe that's why. A smaller company trying to compete with style and quality?

RM

42. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm sure a walk through his New York store would have been very interesting. The catalogue reproduction I have that was republished by Roy Ehrhardt shows that in 1888 he carried clocks ranging from OG's and Steeples, to cuckoos and Vienna regulators.

43. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I agree. Seemed to have something to fit every budget and taste.

RM

44. SZZZL

SZZZL Registered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Can anyone tell me about this clock? I picked it up at a yard sale.
    I can make out Kroeber on the movement but can't seem to find this clock in my American clock book. It is cast iron, I think the statue is Venus de Milo

Attached Files:

• 006c.jpg
      File size:
      260.1 KB
      Views:
  45. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    The clock appears to be the Pompadour, ca. 1895 (as shown in Tran's Kroeber book). It is enameled iron, and came by itself or as a set with two candelabras. The figure at the top is not Venus de Milo, but a lute player. Yours seems to have angered the King with one of his songs and suffered an ignominious fate. It came in black, white, pink, blue, red, green, and brown. The movement was one of Kroeber's better ones, called the Eclipse movement.

46. SZZZL

SZZZL Registered User

Jul 29, 2010
    #46 SZZZL, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
    Thanks !!

47. Lousnhous

Lousnhous New Member

Oct 10, 2010
    I inherited this Kroeber Langtry ca1878 from my Father's mother in 6/09. It is a beautiful clock and I believe it has all original parts. I don't believe any work has been done to it, at least in the last 50 years.

Initially upon getting it home, it lost time, but I adjusted the pendulum bob a couple of times, and it kept excellent time for the next 14 months. I would wind it every Sunday evening and had no problems.

Then trouble...out of nowhere it just stopped. I would start the pendulum and it would stop within 5-10 minutes. I started it multiple times, and it would not keep running.

I am new to this site and do not have any clock repair experience, but I have seen a lot of excellent advice on this site, and wondered what you experts thought of my clock and my problem. Thanks for your thoughts!

Attached Files:

48. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Do you know how long it has been since it was last serviced? It may simply be due for cleaning, bushing, and oiling.

49. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I concur with Steve.

You indicated that it hasn't been worked on in a long time, so the works probably need some routine maintainence. Also make sure it's properly leveled (so the tick=the tock).

It's a wonderful example of a good clock that has survived intact and aged gracefully!

For that period of American manufactured clocks, it's a quality solid walnut case in a Gothic Revival style with Eastlake carving with a wonderful old surface, the ebonizing and gilt surviving on the little columns, and the finials and turnings are all present. PLEASE leave it as is. Don't let anyone try to talk you into refinishing or doing anything else to the case beyond waxing.

The paper applied to metal 2 part dial has some toning and wear. PLEASE leave it as is. Don't let anyone try to talk you into repapering or trying to "fix" it.

Really like that Kroeber regulating pendulum with the scale in gold on black paper.

Unless you do your own work, seek the services of a competent repair person who will restore the movement properly permitting for years of more service. This clock warrants it.

RM

50. Lousnhous

Lousnhous New Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Steven-I don't think it has ever been serviced even with routine maintenance. If so, maybe once in the early 80s, by a friend of my Mom, who really admired the Kroeber and always wanted to buy it from Mom. I'm not sure beyond that.

Thanks RM for the kind words. You can bet I won't let anyone convince me to restore it, I too, think it is beautiful just the way it is. It looks exactly as it did when it sat my parent's kitchen for the past 50 years, and I intend to keep it that way.

Do you know anyone in the Houston area that could perform this service work for me? Could it be safely shipped somewhere for repairs? This concerns me as the clock is so old and seems so delicate.