Post your JUNGHANS clocks here

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi Zodaly, pictures will be needed to id your Junghans clock.There were many models made.

zodaly

Jan 11, 2010
Hi there, i have some pictures (pictures are not great, sorry!)of a Junghans clock we bought a while ago. It is a small clock, around 4 inches tall and looks very much like a beer barrel. Any info about the clock such as date etc would be great. Many thanks. 100_0900.jpg

100_0902.jpg

100_0901.jpg

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I just got this one today.Movement is marked B12 and looks like a piece on top is missing.perhaps someone can id this clock and has a picture what the missing pieces should look like.

Attachments

zodaly

Jan 11, 2010
Re: Recent clock finds

Hi, this is a clock I bought recently for my father who likes clocks by Junghans. It is a small clock, approx 4 inches high and is a little metal barrel on a wooden base. It has the Junghans star on the face. Could anyone give me any info on this clock as i've never seen anything like it before, would be particuarly interested in when it may have been made.
Many thanks, Zoe Pargeter. 100_0900.jpg

100_0902.jpg

100_0901.jpg

laprade

Thanks Jay! That saved a lot of trouble,

Zoe, the beer clock might have been sold as a souvenir at the many beer festivals they have in Germany. I don't think it is to do with the wine trade. Does the ribbon scroll have anything written on it?

zodaly

Jan 11, 2010

No there is nothing written on the ribbon scroll, it is just decorative. Do you have any idea how old it might be? Has anyone seen one of these before? Zoe Pargeter.

laprade

Zoe, In fact, I was wrong about it being a ribbon, it is a garland. Sorry about that. The movement has a "butterfly winder", and that will give some idea on age. There may be a patent number on the back as well. it is most probably 20th c.

I used to get a lot of that type of movement in the 70s, mostly in photo mount type frames, small "easels" for standing.

The barrel has been properly modelled even down to the details like the vent plug on top. I had a bar in the 70s and sold "real ale" direct from barrels and spent many hours playing around with pegs and spigots!

If the movement was Japy or Jaz, french makers, then it would be wine. I know the Germans make wine, but beer is their great triumph.

Junghans have a museum and if you email them, they will help you.

zodaly

Jan 11, 2010
Hi, thanks for all your information on our beer barrel clock. I have never heard of the Junghans museum, do you have any info on this and an email address or website address for it at all. Many thanks, Zoe Pargeter.

Last edited:

any400day

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Singapore
www.pasttimesclocks.com
Country
Can anyone else recommend sources for me to read on Junghans swingers?
Robert,
I am attaching a picture of all the swingers that are shown in the Junghans catalogues from 1910 to 1937-38 that I have. While it is not complete, it is the most comprehensive list available presently and would be grateful if others can add to the list. There were no swingers in the 1902, 1904 & 1905 catalogues and I do not have any catalogues from 1906 to 1909 so do not know if they made Swingers before 1910. I am also compiling data and would publish a CD in due course. They used the J7 movement on them.

Following is a list of Swingers that Junghans made :
916 Amour
917 Prisionniére
918 Gloire
919 Diane
6785, 4/51 Elefant (Elephant)
6548, 6619, 6620, 4/48, 4/49 Elegant (Diana)
7078 Kolona (Column)
6764 Groß Elegant (Bat Boy)
7640 Delphin (Dolphin)
8227 Venedig
4/101 Salome (Cleopatra)
4/102, 4/120 Rokoko (Barmaid)
4/104 Eccomi (Onion Boy)
4/140 Loy Schan
4/167 Liberty (with and without base)
4/267 Känguruh (Kangaroo)
4/280 Tänzerin (Ballerina)

Vic

Attachments

Robert Gary

Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
Director
NAWCC Member
Feb 26, 2003
Southern California
Country
Region
Laprade:

Could you please email the info on the Junghans museum to me as well? Thank you.

John:

Thank you very much indeed for posting this. There are some very interesting styles shown that I have never seen before. Especially the one in the upper right corner.

Everyone:

John has been helping me behind the scenes to research the Junghans swingers. I am trying to learn and collate as much as possible about them for future publication. I am not quite ready yet, but within the next month or two I hope to request color photos of Junghans swingers from MB members. Hopefully, I will be able to get photos, not line drawings or old catalog pages, of every swinger out there! More on this later, but please get your cameras ready.

If you know of a source for data on Junghans swingers, please post it here; it can be a book, pamplet, CD, museum, website, etc. I need to gather as much info as possible.

Thank you again, John and Laprade.

RobertG

Last edited:

Robert Gary

Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
Director
NAWCC Member
Feb 26, 2003
Southern California
Country
Region
Vic:

Sorry I said "John" about the posting of the Junghans catalog pages. John Hubby has been helping me via email and I typed in the wrong name. I apologize. Your help is very much appreciated.

RobertG

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi Vic, thanks for that information.I looked in my 1927 cd, Junghans and found nothing close.
What cd did you find this one on?
Thanks.

clockboy

Jan 27, 2010
Can anyone help me with this clock? I purchased some investment properties and found this in one. I've done some research, but haven't even seen a Junghans like this one online anywhere. Thanks

Attachments

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi, Clockboy, welcome to the message board. Your clock was made in the first half of 1932. The pictures of the clock case are too dark to tell you anything else about it.

clockboy

Jan 27, 2010
thanks, it winds and has the original key. the pendulum moves but it doesn't chime. is this thing worth getting repaired?

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Certainly, it's worth getting fixed. The chime sounds are about as good as it gets with this vintage clock. High quality movement. Check that the chime shutoff isn't switched to off.

Tim4t

Feb 9, 2010
Country
Region
I'm impressed with the wealth of information, expertise and helpfulness here. I'm just getting started with my first clock project after months of browsing, reading books, articles etc. I've bought this Junghan's 8 day striking movement, with no case, face, hands, key or pendulum.

It's got some damage to one of the lantern pinions, which you can just make out on the underside, and an untidy repair of the click spring. Both of which I hope to address.

It has the Junghans star logo but no other date code as far as I can see. I can't see anything like it on this forum thread and would be really interested if it's possible to put a rough date on it. Is it possible to tell what type of case it might have come from?

Thanks for your time!

Attachments

zepernick

Deceased
Aug 8, 2004
Country
Region
Welcome to the Message Board Tim4T (like that "Tim4T" 2AT). Your horohabit :)should certainly be encouraged.

Am not sure when this type movement was introduced, or how long it was made. Victor Tang might well have specific information. But it is one of the earlier ones.

For example, on a sheet dated 1895 that is reproduced on page 95 of Kochmann's (1975) The Junghans Story, the movement was fit to a visible "Brokot" /sic/ escapement. The movement itself was referred to (in 1895) as "an old spring-driven striking movement of this firm," that is, Junghans.

But creeping up on the date of yours:

-- The 8-pointed Junghans trademark was introduced in 1890. Nicely enough, Junghans announced the change to the trade at the time. The announcement below is from an 1890 issue of the Allgemeines Journal der Uhrmacherkunst. Your movement was made no earlier than that.

-- Thanks to Victor and the Library of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Chronometrie, various Junghans catalogues are now available on CDs from 1878, 1891, 1894, 1897/98, 1905, 1910, 1911, 1927, 1930, 1931, and 1937. Unfortunately, the catalogues do not show what movements were available in what years.

-- On the other hand, I happen to have a clock with the same movement (with the alarm connection option), see below. And it's in a case (also below) that is shown in one of the DGC CD'd catalogues, from 1894 (below). It has the 8-pointed star but no year code (e.g. B02).

-- If we assume that American-type movements such as ours were stamped with year codes from about 1902 until, hmm, into the 30ies, one might also assume that my clock's movement was made sometime between 1890 and 1902ish. Indeed, 1894 might be a good guess.

-- Does your movement have a date code? If not, one might guess that it was also made in that same decade.

Regards,
Zep

Attachments

Tim4t

Feb 9, 2010
Country
Region
Thanks Zep, that's wonderful! I particularly liked to see your pictures of the complete clock.

There's no trace of any date code on my movement, so I'm happy with your 1890's suggestion. I wasn't sure it was as old as this, and although it's had some damage, it looks in such good condition for 100 year old machinery! I will treat it with care.

Thanks for your help, a NAWCC donation is on its way.

Cheers,
Tim.

livium1966

Dec 5, 2009
Suceava, Romania
Country
Hello,
I have an Junghans wall clock (with 12.14 engraved on the movement), but I think it is some missing parts - see photos in attachment. When I bought the clock, the parts already missing, so I don't know how they looks like. I saw some traces inside the case and I found the spiral of the chime attached of back panel of case. I think the entire platform of the movement missing. Close two or three months I tried to repair the case and now I blocked. If somebody knows the solution for this problem, not necessary for this clock, but something similar, please let me know. Some similar photos with complete interior parts will be great. Thanks everybody.

Attachments

Vadim

Feb 13, 2008
Kharkov
Country
This case is likely to GB (with Universal gong). Movement and gong installed from other clock.

franbev

Feb 13, 2010
Sorry about using the reply, I didn't see a new post icon. Attached are pictures of a Junghans clock that my Mother left me. Can anyone tell me more about it? It seems to keep time and chime correctly, I know she had it for years. Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Oled

Dec 8, 2009
Moscow, Russia
Country
Region
Hello franbev and welcome to the NAWCC MB!

Your Junghans clocks surely deserves to be hanged on the wall =)) They are very nice and in near mint condition for a 100 year old clock!

On the back of the movement you can find some letters/numbers. Upon them exact year of manufacture could be found.

Regards,
Oleg

franbev

Feb 13, 2010
How do I access the back of the movement? I do have it hung but I put it down to photograph. Thanks for your help.

Oled

Dec 8, 2009
Moscow, Russia
Country
Region
Well, it's not so easy for a novice to do that. Moreover, you should know that you can accidentally change setting of pendulum leader so your clocks will requre some adjustments after. But if you're ready then here you go:

1) Remove the pendulum, note how it was attached.
2) Look closer beneath the movement - you will see that it is attached on movement hanger using sliding platform. Platform is fixed with two screws with decorative round shaped heads on the sides. Weaken the screws and you will be able to slide the platform with movement and the dial out of the case.
3) When you will be ready to put it back please note that gong hammer located on the back of the movement should be able to hit the gong so it's just a matter if platform position in the hanger rails. You have to look thrue side glass to see if it's ok.
4) Fix the platform by screws but do not overtight them.
5) Attach the pendulum back only when you placed the clocks on the wall. Remember to always remove the pendulum when you moving the clocks.

Oleg

hofferwood

Jan 1, 2010
Brownstown, Mi.
Country
Region
Hi All;
I'm New to this board, and I type SLOW,so don't read fast!
Anyhow I have a JUNGHANS clock w/mvm'nt marked 10.14.
This one doesn't seem to be on Vic's (if I may) list so I'll try to attach a photo here. If it uploads I have a bunch more.

It won't upload, says upload failed. I'll try later.
Chuck

Last edited:

hoo-boy

Nov 13, 2008
1/2 mile past Resume Speed
Country
Region
I had a guy bring me some time ago a pendulem for a Junghans Wall clock to be repaired. the pendulem' bob had an insert that was a type of glass that was a barometer(changed color for different weather )

This was the repair, it had gotten broken, I mixed up some colored epoxy and made an insert It now shows fair weather no matter the condition, lol. I had him bring the clock in just to see what it looked like . The clock was a lot like the A22 clock that Gedimas posted in #145 in shape just rather more plain.He did not want me to uncover enough to get all the info!

He said he purchased the clock about 20 years ago in Pennsylvania and It was very old at that time . My question.. has anyone any info about this type of clock especially the bob? thanks ...hoo-boy

livium1966

Dec 5, 2009
Suceava, Romania
Country
How to repair the stained glass window?

I have a Junghans with stained glass window. The stained glass is made with brass came. Unfortunately when I received the clock the glass of window was disjointed. I don't know how can I repair this. It seems the came was tinned and finally the glass was puttied with a kind of cement.

Attachments

Oled

Dec 8, 2009
Moscow, Russia
Country
Region
As I know stained glasses of such type are constructed without any adhesives. Glasses are tightened by brass or copper cames and their joints are being soldered with lead. Probably there was some sort of window putty between glasses and cames, just to avoid glasses play when opening and closing clock door.

Regards,
Oleg

jeules0

May 26, 2009
Kent, UK
Country
Region
This is a Junghans architectural clock I picked up a couple of weeks ago. Can't find a s/n but have photographed the Junghans star trademark. I'm guessing around 1910 for the date?

Attachments

moe schmidt

Apr 26, 2006
Country
Region
HI TO ALL YOU JUNGHANS CLOCK LOVERS: I have a junghans movement just like JeulesO. I believe it was made before 1910 because of the trade mark and the roung hole on the right side at the hammer spring. at the bottom of the trade mark there is no code # like the other junghans movements. when were these letters and #s used or discontinuous?. any and all information on this clock would be appreciated. pictures in closed. have a good day. moe

Attachments

any400day

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Singapore
www.pasttimesclocks.com
Country
Hi Moe,

Just as what Harold has stated, Junghans started to use the 8 point star from 1890 without any date codes. From my database, the first documented date code is "B 02" or 2nd half 1902. They did not have pictures of movements in their earlier catalogs. (Earliest record that I am aware of is 1910) so if you have a movement with only the 8 point star, it would be made between 1890 and 1901 based on the data that I have collected so far.

I have found a match for your clock in the 1894 Junghans catalog and it is listed as "Klein Turka" Model No. 2864. Page from the catalog is attached.

Would appreciate you posting some pictures of the front of the movement here for our database.

Vic

Attachments

jeules0

May 26, 2009
Kent, UK
Country
Region
Hello jeules0,

Found a match for your clock in the 1897-98 Junghans catalog. It is listed as Model 3406M, Glasgow. Page from the catalog attached.

Vic
Vic, that's excellent! Many thanks, Chris

LKish

Feb 21, 2010
Clifton, NJ
Country
Region
I have a Junghans clock with an A32 date code. Following the threads in this message board, it can either have been manufactured in early 1923 or early 1932. I am posting pictures of the movement for your records and welcome any information you might be able to provide me. The clock is currently not working. I am having a reduction gear made for the center arbor.

I also want to apologize for replying to a thread. I could not find a New Posting icon on the webpage.

Thanks,
Leon

Attachments

LKish

Feb 21, 2010
Clifton, NJ
Country
Region
Hello Clockboy,

I posted the same clock as yours today on the message board #269. Take a look and see if we share the same good fortune.

LKish

moe schmidt

Apr 26, 2006
Country
Region
HI: Harold and vic. thanks for the good informartion. learning about old clocks is more fun than working on them. the clock is running and unfortunately i do not have the clock in hand to take a picture. thanks again and have a good day. moe

xyzzyx1

Feb 22, 2010
A22 means the first half of 1922 (B22 would be the second half). i'm not sure about 104 1/2. Beats per minute perhaps?
OK - I am a total numbie here so pardon any mistakes I may be making. However, from reading (that is "learning") from the various posts on this website - the 104 1/2 is actually the beats per minute. I actually checked it out just to verify it!

Now for my question - can anyone tell me the acurate size for the chime spring and if I should attempt to replace it (vs. going to an expert). My problem is that there doesn't seem to be anyone close that I can take my clock to that doesn't require a days drive.

It's the Junghans W202 movement, pendulum wall clock and has worked perfectly for years - until the chime spring broke the other day. It appears to be a clean break and not a problem with the spring case.

Any help for the newbie is really appreciated. This is an excellent web-site!

Thank you so very much for your knowledge, patience and assistance!

kb

Antti81

Dec 17, 2009
Finland
Country
Helou. This is my latest junghans clock. Clocksmith clean movement, oil it and made bearing and now movement works fine. There is no any time mark in movement, only junghans logo, eight point star. Is this clock made 1890-1901?

Attachments

Oled

Dec 8, 2009
Moscow, Russia
Country
Region
Helou. This is my latest junghans clock. Clocksmith clean movement, oil it and made bearing and now movement works fine. There is no any time mark in movement, only junghans logo, eight point star. Is this clock made 1890-1901?
Hi Antti81,

Probably yes, they were made in 1895-1901. This movement type is quite interesting. In the matter of fact I suspect it was not made by Junghans, but FOR Yunghans by some third-party firm. Exactly the same movements appears at Mauthe and PHS clocks dated by the same period. I think that in the 1890-s these German manufacturers continued to produce solid-plated movements by their own facilities, but, to fullfill market demand on cheaper clocks, they bought these american-type movements from some external supplier.

Most probably these movements were delivered to assembly factories as a sets of parts. After that they were stamped with factory marks and numberings, assembled and installed in cases. Interesting fact is that all accessories on such movements are specific to final firm, for example on Mauthe clocks you will find DRP patented pendulum guard attached, and on Yunghans there is always their wavy strike hammer shoulder. I guess that is possible because initially movements were delivered without such accessories.

After ~1900 Mauthe, Junghans and PHS started to produce their own american-style movements.

Below you can see some examples:
Pictures 1 and 2: back and fronts of Junghans and Mauthe "third-party" c. 1895-1900 movements;
3 and 4: back and front of Mauthe "third-party" movement;
5: Original Junghans movement back from 1901->

Regards,
Oleg

Attachments

Last edited:

Antti81

Dec 17, 2009
Finland
Country
Hi Oled. Thank you for very good information. This type "junghans" movement is very common in Finland. Is this type movement good quality class or little bit worse? :)

Oled

Dec 8, 2009
Moscow, Russia
Country
Region
Hi Antti81,
Are you sure that you've seen exactly the same type movements and not like the one on last picture of my previous post? )

Quality of such movement was quite low for the days it was produced, there should be no illusions here. Price factor was a major thing for German firms because they wanted to take over foreign markets. But it is not about how they keeping time, it's about how durable they are. Such construction with thin plates is not very stable and these pinned pinions are easily wearing our when geometry of a movement goes wrong. Of course solid-plated movements with cut pinions are much more stable and durable. But as you can see, it's more than 100 years has past, but your clocks are still working ))

Hi Oled. Thank you for very good information. This type "junghans" movement is very common in Finland. Is this type movement good quality class or little bit worse? :)

Antti81

Dec 17, 2009
Finland
Country
Hi Oled. Yes i´m sure. I have same type "junghans" movement in spare part. I have seen my friend clock collection and there is several same type movements. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bill Adams
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller