Post your JUNGHANS clocks here

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by any400day, Dec 2, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. indigoblue

indigoblue Registered User

Dec 9, 2009
    Hi I have a Junghens mantle clock that plays the Westminster chimes. It is a large, 18" tall, clock in walnut case with gold face. Has 2 columns on front with brass carving on front the glass is beveled and the works are brass and located in rear. Of course there is all the winding and balancing to make it run. Does anyone out there know of a mantle clock with the same resounding Junghens sound (plus the tick tock). I have never been able to get this clock running always have to call somebody....really tired of it! Thanks DSC03930.JPG

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Indi are you sure it is not Junghans?
    Nice looking clock.Perhaps it would not take much to get it to run reliably.

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I thought he said it is Junghans.

4. Jay

Jay Registered User

Dec 12, 2007
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Indigo

I have a Junghans from 1909 that runs very reliably. These were god quality clocks. Perhaps yours needs to be serviced for it to run reliably as well?
    Mine runs daily and keeps excellent time.

Jay

Attached Files:

5. indigoblue

Dec 9, 2009
    It is a Junghans but it has to have its pendulum balanced its dials set and wound in 3 places to keep it running. It runs great when I get a clock person to set it up but then when I have to move it around to wind it it just won't do it for me. I really like the sound but hate the clock!

6. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say you are moving it around to wind it. Why are you moving it? Moving it with the pendulum attached may throw it out of beat, I suppose, but perhaps you are just not giving the pendulum a proper push to restart it.

7. indigoblue

Dec 9, 2009
    Oh no there are little thin strips (slivers) of wood material that under the clock somewhere to balance the works in the back and when it starts to slow down their is a dial on the left of the face in front that you must adjust the dial...(clocks should not slow down they should keep time). Then of course the key was in the storage area in the back where the works are....I took it out so I could just open the front and wind the clock....the front door shuts really tight and so when you open it the clock is jostled and I can hear the little sounds that let me know it was not going to run for me! I did keep it running once but somehow got it off the correct hour and couldn't even fix that it just was chiming and gonging to what ever hour came up and I let it do that until I wound it again and it refused to start again because I tried to get the hour right and wound up moving it from the mantle to the table...wrong move...that was it. The last time it was set about 6 months ago it ran just great though. I even called some local jewelers in the area and none knew how to set it. All the clock dealers/collectors we knew and that came to my dad's antique auctions are all either dead now or not around the area anymore. I even thought of what it would look like to try and find a clock setter to make house calls 2x monthly but I would be really embarrassed to even try to find one.

8. Jay

Jay Registered User

Dec 12, 2007
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Indigo
    Interesting problems?? If you keep the clock wound(all three arbors) it should run fine. As Steven said it is not a good idea to move the clock w/o removing the pendulum. I keep my clock in a set spot and it is never moved; mostly because I lack any place to set it! ha! I rarely,if ever use the slow fast adjustment because if you keep the clock wound regularly(8 days usually or maybe less,if needed) the clock will run fine without the adjustment. You could always wait to set the time at the appropriate hour with a push on the pendulum. I think you might be over thinking the trouble with keeping the clock running? I would say from your description the clock is out of beat and needs to be re-set and perhaps servicing?

Jay

9. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sounds like a mechanical problem and maybe out of beat, as you keep putting slivers under it.
    Your spelling in your posting through me off,Junghens.
    So i was not sure what you had.Thanks for showing it and i hope you get your clock repaired.

10. livium1966

livium1966 New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    engineer
    Suceava, Romania
    Country Flag:
    Hello,
    I have attached some pictures of my Junghans wall clock. The movement is stamped with a pointed star and inside the star is "UNGHANS" above the letter J. Just below the star is 1214. left upper corner of movement it say "100". Unfortunetely the condition of the clock case is poor and I don't know the original shape. I hope to restore it. Please help me with details about the year of fabrication, or some pictures from catalogue if it is possible.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

11. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, livium, welcome to the message board. I believe your clock was made in December 1914. It should look good when restored. You may be surprised what a good cleaning will do for it's condition.

12. celticprince59

celticprince59 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Male
    Retired. Best job I ever had
    East Coker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Junghans b42

Hi All,

I am getting a wee bit confused here with the B42 as being 1924/1942 and after looking and if my memory serves me right I noticed that Vic(apologies before hand if I am wrong) in the thread mentioned a 1907 with a B42 stamp. I was under the impression that the B42 plates were solid and not cut away. Again most likely I am confused. I am attaching some pics of a Junghans that I managed to get hold of this week. The ex-owner said it was a 1936 clock. This movement as can be seen has a count wheel and Junghans moved away from count wheels in the early '20s did they and also it has a coiled gong. I have a feeling that it is a "marriage" of case and movement.
    Need lots of help.

Andy

Attached Files:

13. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Andy, at some point a few years ago we got confirmation from Junghans that this is a date code on the movements. I posted a Junghans mantel clock a few weeks ago with an A42 movement (solid plates). It does make you wonder how much production there would have been during WW11.
    The unusual clock stamp on the clock before your post, with 12 14 for a date code also makes me wonder about the Junghans date coding.

14. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Vic is probably right that 42 is really 24. I wonder what his take on 12 14 will be.

15. celticprince59

NAWCC Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Male
    East Coker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Harold,

I agree with your thoughts as well. If I am not mistaken Junghans retooled to produce for the war effort and I think they only made Luftwaffe clocks alarm clocks timers for munitions. etc
    Maybe Zep can shed some light on the topic.

16. celticprince59

NAWCC Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Male
    East Coker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi All,

Here are some pics after polishing the pivots and wheels and busy planting them

Hope Vic jumps in and confirms that it is a 1924 Werk 74 movement.

Andy

Attached Files:

17. scion

scion New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Good evening all,
    I came across this great old Junghans a couple of weeks ago. Just got the back removed showing the 8 sided star with "unghans" above a "J". Isn't running at present. I am a little curious to know what a complete clock might look like. It looks like a brass ring of sorts should be on the base where it meets the pillars. And maybe something similar where the base sets on a table. Hope to get it repaired and running soon. Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

18. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Scion: Welcome to the Message Board. An interesting little clock. I can't help with what might be missing, I'm afraid, but I was able to find a relative of your clock on antiqueclockspriceguide.com here.

There was also a recent thread on a similar style clock by Globe Clock Co., with a movement by Lux. Here.

Just in case you are interested. I hope someone can come along with some more info.

19. scion

scion New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Steven, Thanks for your reply. I did see that clock that you mentioned. They actually sent me to your site for help. Both sites now have pics of the clock so maybe somebody somewhere someday might recognize it. I'm not a collector nor do I do any work on the old clocks but I do find the craftsmanship and the uniqueness of them interesting. I work at an antique store and occassionally a clock will come through the door that catches my eye. I really like some of the "everyday" clocks of the Art Deco era. I have to guess my clock pre-dates that era by a little. The clock in my pics was put "on hold" at our store for a customer and as soon as I saw it I told them if this customer backs out I'll take it. I hope to get it working at some point and give it as a gift. Thanks again for your help.

20. Antti81

Antti81 Registered User

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
    Country Flag:
    Hello. This is my firts time in this blogs.
    I have junghans wall clock. This is perhaps old? There is mark A11 clock mechanism. Do you have any information clock age? There is some pictures in junghans clock.:)

T: Antti

Attached Files:

21. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Antii: Welcome to the Message Board. You have a very nice clock. The A11 on the movement indicates that it was made in the first half of 1911.

22. Antti81

Antti81 Registered User

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
    Country Flag:
    Reply to Steven. Thanks for quick answer. :) I have another Junghans wall clock, but i don`t have pictures yet. I take some pictures and send them just little later.

23. zepernick

zepernick Deceased

Aug 8, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #173 zepernick, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2009
    Scion --

I've not gone through all of the Junghans catalogues now available on CD, checking for example if there were different names for this beast, or if they had different bases. There was for instance a four-legged variation. It shows up however in a Junghans No. 104 catalogue from 1905 (as below). This CD is at hand as it's the most recent one offered by Vic Tang.

Regards,
    Zep

Greetings Andy --

Below are two views of a 74'er, from the "Junghans, Schramberg Gesamtkatalog, 1911" CD made availabe by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Chronometrie.

As to production during the two world wars, I'm fairly positive <G> that most German manufacturers did continue with some "civilian" models, if under (of course) controlled rates.

I recently wrote about some made during the Great War. The ad below is from 1915. Other clocks made during the war looked "normal" except for e.g. less brass in the movements.

That said, I'm not aware that anyone has specified how much of what was made when by Junghans in either war.

Regards,
    Zep

Attached Files:

24. scion

scion New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Thanks Zep. It gets me one step closer to figuring it out. I'm new at this clock researching so I was not aware of Junghans catalogs on CD. Thanks again.

25. celticprince59

NAWCC Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Male
    East Coker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Zep,

Thanks for the info of course the confusing bit is the B42 but I amalmost certain now that after doing a bit of digging it is a 1924 model Werk74.
    Once again thank you.

Hope you all have a great Festive Season in case I do not get on before Christmas. The wife has had a hip replacement so I am trying to be housewife and not succeding very well. he he....Housemaid's Knee

Andy

26. any400day

any400day Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Singapore
    Country Flag:

Harold,
    I am with you on this and also think “.14” stands for 1914. I have seen different movement models with their back plates stamped with A14, 2.14, 3.14, 5.14, 7.14, 8.14, 9.14, 12.14 & 1.15. There were also 1918 & 1919 stampings as shown in the attached pictures.

Andy,
    Junghans used count wheel strike on their W74 movement till they changed to W202 in 1927-1928. The W202 had both count wheel & rack strike models till at least 1929. I do not have any 1930 & 1931 catalogues with reference to this model. W202A was introduced in 1932 which is only rack strike.

I am still of the opinion that “A & B 32, 42 & 52” stands for 1923, 1924 & 1925 but have yet to find any concrete evidence to confirm that.

Vic

Attached Files:

27. any400day

Aug 26, 2000
    Singapore
    Country Flag:

Hello Instarclock,

From the layout of your W74 movement backplate and the flat levers for the strike-works, I would date your clock from 1910 to 1927. While most of their movement would have a “AXX or BXX” date mark for that period, I have seen several with just the Junghans and eight pointed star. I am attaching a picture showing the difference between the Pre 1910 and 1910 and later movements & levers.

Vic

Attached Files:

28. instarclock

instarclock Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Galveston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the info Vic! As always, there's a wealth of information to be found here.

Rt

29. zepernick

zepernick Deceased

Aug 8, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is now without a doubt the best site (place, source, venue, etc.) internationally for specific information about Junghans clocks. And this is largely a result of Vic's efforts.

30. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'll definately second Zep's comments, Vic.
    Just wondering if my mantel clock with a B25 movement throws a monkey wrench into your theory of the reverse numbers such as B52?

31. any400day

Aug 26, 2000
    Singapore
    Country Flag:
    Harold,
    I have so far not documented any B52 markings, they are only A/B 32, A/B 42 & A52 so my guess is that they went back to the conventional B25 in the second half of 1925 and continued this way till 1927/1928.

Vic

32. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Vic, that makes sense.

33. gtodude2

gtodude2 Registered User

Nov 14, 2008
    Full time student studying Funeral Services
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here a Junghans I picked up yesterday. It's in excellent shape and running quite well since the extraction of a piece of cloth from the flywheel. :D Picked it up in a package deal of two clocks. A hundred bucks for the both. The other is a run of the mill Sessions mantle, but I believe I scored with this one. Enjoy!! Almost forgot to add, the stamp under the Junghans star says B.62.

Eric

Attached Files:

34. Antti81

Antti81 Registered User

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
    Country Flag:
    Hello. This is pictures junghans clock that i buy one weeks ago. There is B32 mark in movement. Some kind bird on top of clock, mayby eagle? This clock frame is very good condition.

Attached Files:

35. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Antti, according to our research your clock was made in the second half of 1923. Nice clock.

36. Antti81

Antti81 Registered User

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
    Country Flag:
    OK, thank you for information. If junghans clock had B32 mark in movement it`s 1923 and A52 it´s 1925 year? Mark is opposite in manufactures year?
    Are you sure? :) Sori, my very bad english writing skill.:D

37. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One of our members, Any 400 Day, has been researching these clocks, and his conclusions are that for a short period of 3 or 4 years, Junghans used a backward code to date their movements.

38. Antti81

Antti81 Registered User

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
    Country Flag:
    Hello. Maybe Any 400 Day is right. I read he´s text and wonder why junghans movement code would be backward ?:)

39. Paula

Paula New Member

Jan 8, 2010
    #189 Paula, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
    Hi Everyone!
    I'm sooo pleased to have found this site (through Bing). My DH is the collector--we have 8 clocks of varying sizes and several pocket watches. The newest clock is a Junghans, and I'm trying to find out its particulars for insurance purposes. No, I'm not asking for an appraisal, just an identification. It's a real cutey, small--9" x 7.5" x 4.25". A mantel clock, I'm assuming, in what looks to be a variation of the Mission Style. It's squarish, made of dark oak, with beautiful graining. The flat top has fine beading along the edge, face and sides only. Twisted "ropes" have been embedded in each front corner, and it has little round button feet of oak. The bottom has kind of a ruffled trim. The face is silverish with no markings and Arabic numerals. The trade mark on the back is the middle one (in the post below), the 8-pointed star with the large J and "UNGHANS" above the J. Below the TM is "Wurttemberg" and below that, the numerals "277", no spaces or punctuation marks. On the lower edge are the numerals "200". Any ideas? If necessary, I can try to upload some photos. Thanks very much in advance for any assistance you can offer. And BTW, this is a really neat site, very interesting and informative. I can sense the passion of those who post.

Paula in Oregon.

40. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Paula: Welcome to the message board. We do like to see pictures (we,re quite the horological voyeurs:D). And they help us provide you the best possible information. Best would be pictures of both the case and the movement. Let me know if you need help.

41. Joseph Superfine

Joseph Superfine Registered User

Sep 13, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Junghans.jpg
    Where can I find a dial for this clock?
    coolyus

42. linol330

linol330 New Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Hey!

I was hoping someone could help me ID this alarm clock and/or give me some more info on it. It was handed down to my mom from her grandmother, and we don't have much information on it. All I do know is that it is a Junghans alarm clock, we think it's early 1910 but we're not sure.

Anyone who can help?

Thanks,
    Linda

Attached Files:

43. Paula

Paula New Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Re: Junghans clock question

Hi everyone,

Here's our cutey. Can anyone identify it? Thanks.

Paula

Attached Files:

44. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    A nice looking clock Paula. I have put this in the Junghans thread where you originally posted, just to keep the record straight. Now let's see if someone can come along and help you with information.

45. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, Paula, welcome to the message board. That is a movement style I haven't seen Junghans use, but HAC had a very similar round movement. I would say the date for your movement was July 1927 (perhaps Vic can confirm).

46. Paula

Paula New Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Hi Harold,
    I appreciate the input, but I'm not familiar with HAC. Can you enlighten me? My husband is the collector, but in doing research, I'm beginning to get hooked. Some of the clocks I've seen are gorgeous.

47. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    HAC is the Hamburg American Clock Company, which Junghans bought out ( I don't have the dates handy). The research is half the fun in clock collecting, Paula.

48. any400day

Aug 26, 2000
    Singapore
    Country Flag:

Eric,

Thanks for the pictures and highlighting the “B.62” marking. This is the type of information I am seeking to either confirm or refute my theory. The fonts of the stamping and the dot between the “B” and “62” are a little different from the ones that I have seen. I also used photo editing software to zoom in on the stampings and the “B” is very different and could possibly be a “3”. For whatever it is worth, I am keeping an open mind and hope more of such stampings would be discovered and posted here for further analysis.

Paula,

I cannot find your clock in the 1927 Junghans catalogue or any around that time but the 1927 catalogue list a round movement No. 189 with 8-day rack strike & lantern pinions. Good chance that your clock was made by Junghans in July 1927 like what Harold has said.

Vic

Attached Files:

49. Paula

Paula New Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Thanks, Vic.

There's also a number 200 stamped at the bottom of the back of the works if that makes sense. Appreciate the help very much.

Paula

50. zodaly

zodaly Registered User

Jan 11, 2010
    Hi, i recently bought a clock for my dad which is quite unusual and something we have never come across before. It is very small, about 3 inches high, and is a barrel(like a beer barrel) mounted on a wooden base. On the face is an eight pointed star with a J and UNGHANS written inside. Could anyone give me any info about this clock?:)