• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Post your JUNGHANS clocks here

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
Huh. To your point, I found it ($15) in a church charity sale here in the way south of France. The top bezel is plywood, but it may have been a repair.

The case is very well made, but little things are off like the nails holding the glass are not precisely positioned (oak tolerates this though) and the medallion/badge was not really on-center. If the work was done further north, and it was allowed to go out, IMHO, it would have caused a ribbing at the local beer hall after work. Like, no more beer for you, Hans, you can't get it right when you're sober!

Eh. Call it inter-war. Who knows?

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
The nail positioning is typical on these 1930's French box regulator cases and they didn't use much wood glue either, I find these cases tend to benefit from rebuilding if they've begun to weaken at the joints or became infested with woodworm holes. The case wood is typically Oak or Pine ply with all sorts of veneering ranging from fruitwood, Walnut, Oak, or rosewood. Carvings were done by hand with the aid of patterns to give the neat, geometric shapes. Glass may be beveled or leaded.

It's a bit premature but here is another Junghans I'm working on. This one was made in the mid 1930's and has a Trinity/Westminster chime movement. Sold under the HAC/Junghans brand. The entire case had to be rebuilt and it needs new chime rods. When it is finished I will post a topic regarding its restoration.

Clock Hanging.JPG

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
Sounds good. Like the look of yours.

I've seen lots of FFR's and others in southern Europe with those octagonal dials. Some are horizontally elongated with their cases.

Mine is okay. Maybe well preserved, or made differently, as it's still in very good shape. No woodworm or typical falling apartness. I once saw in Itally a honey-oak veneered GB totally disintegrated in the veneer and major structures. Talk about coming unglued! It was too far gone to save, and paints that sad picture you mentioned. Lots of humidity there. Likely accelerated the falling apart. Fairly dry here, but still need to oil the tools for the fall.

Good luck. Tuning replacement chime rods is a real skill. There's a few web-based frequency software sites if you do not have a musical ear...

Vyper4

NAWCC Member
Jul 4, 2021
Country
Region
Please help identify this clock.
14in tall
8 point star Junghans Trademark
147 which I assume is BPM stamped on movement.
C5BF5FBA-AAA0-48A0-BF34-6FE0DC7B4ED0.jpeg F115C19E-E122-4DBB-A3E2-953EFA68FFD6.jpeg

Paolo_barbagallo

New User
Nov 19, 2021
Country
hello, my name is paolo barbagallo, I am a new user, I am Sicilian.
I recently received this wall clock from hac hau junghans as a gift, I did some research on the net but could not find any information.
any of you have any idea what model it is and if the wood comes from the black forest?
Thank you

EBF736D4-9D70-4C1F-81EB-B0759712EA36.jpeg 0A886A7E-ACA0-4C52-BF60-A7DE4FBFB247.png 607C4A84-0AE1-485E-8B2C-2FD240EB985A.jpeg 3AC4BDFF-0B5C-4808-B27D-263169969D29.jpeg

Reactions: Calvin H. Huynh

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
Buonasera Paulo, e benvenuti.

There are people here who will know all these answers pretty close to certainly, so while waiting (it is a Friday) I am just going to say I like your clock and hope if you want to keep it, you will clean and lubricate it properly before winding it up and putting it up on the wall. It looks like only a spring has been replaced. All the rest is intact, meaning no love for a long time.

If this is not your area of expertise, hopefully you can find someone in Sicily (qualified) who will disassemble, inspect, put it all back, lubricate and adjust to keep it running for a long long time. Else, it will run, but the dirt and dried oil will grind away, shortening it's life. Be careful, a lot of people will tell you a story, dip it in cleaning fluid, then take your money. I think this gift is worth saving from either sad fate :)

So, HAC (the crossed arrows on the dial) was a rival bought by Junghans in the 30's, but they kept using the original logo. See https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/help-w...lesmans-sample-wall-clock.166156/post-1337963 for a longer story if you like. The movement (works) was made by Junghans, and looks to be a W 284. Based on the look of the plates, the easy-access barrel, the regulating instructions and modern glue under the blocks, my guess would be mid 1950's or so. To me, these were the last good years for affordable timekeepers, and yours looks unmodified and so pretty good.

After the war, almost everyone began to source raw materials less expensively to adapt and survive. But, the (Art Deco style?) wood dial still looks pretty good (walnut?) to me and seems original, wherever it came from, but I don't know about the Black Forest. I like the cream color and patina of the dial ring as well. Seems honestly aged...

But, these are just opinions and guesses. Let's wait to see what the Junghans experts have to say?

Paolo_barbagallo

New User
Nov 19, 2021
Country
Buonasera Paulo, e benvenuti.

There are people here who will know all these answers pretty close to certainly, so while waiting (it is a Friday) I am just going to say I like your clock and hope if you want to keep it, you will clean and lubricate it properly before winding it up and putting it up on the wall. It looks like only a spring has been replaced. All the rest is intact, meaning no love for a long time.

If this is not your area of expertise, hopefully you can find someone in Sicily (qualified) who will disassemble, inspect, put it all back, lubricate and adjust to keep it running for a long long time. Else, it will run, but the dirt and dried oil will grind away, shortening it's life. Be careful, a lot of people will tell you a story, dip it in cleaning fluid, then take your money. I think this gift is worth saving from either sad fate :)

So, HAC (the crossed arrows on the dial) was a rival bought by Junghans in the 30's, but they kept using the original logo. See https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/help-w...lesmans-sample-wall-clock.166156/post-1337963 for a longer story if you like. The movement (works) was made by Junghans, and looks to be a W 284. Based on the look of the plates, the easy-access barrel, the regulating instructions and modern glue under the blocks, my guess would be mid 1950's or so. To me, these were the last good years for affordable timekeepers, and yours looks unmodified and so pretty good.

After the war, almost everyone began to source raw materials less expensively to adapt and survive. But, the (Art Deco style?) wood dial still looks pretty good (walnut?) to me and seems original, wherever it came from, but I don't know about the Black Forest. I like the cream color and patina of the dial ring as well. Seems honestly aged...

But, these are just opinions and guesses. Let's wait to see what the Junghans experts have to say?
dear good evening, thank you very much for appreciating the watch, tomorrow i'm going to collect from the watchmaker for servicing, you're right the watch is maybe 50s, it hasn't received any treatment apart from cleaning the outside which i did myself otherwise it is in the conditions as in the photos
, tomorrow when I pick it up I'll post the other photos.
It has had 2 revisions prior to 1984 and 1994 and now.
However I don't know if I can write it but this watch will go on sale for a good cause.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
dear good evening, thank you very much for appreciating the watch, tomorrow i'm going to collect from the watchmaker for servicing, you're right the watch is maybe 50s, it hasn't received any treatment apart from cleaning the outside which i did myself otherwise it is in the conditions as in the photos
, tomorrow when I pick it up I'll post the other photos.
It has had 2 revisions prior to 1984 and 1994 and now.
However I don't know if I can write it but this watch will go on sale for a good cause.

That's all good to hear and nice that you can raise money for a good cause. I hope it does well. I agree with the dates of mid 1950s.

JTD
PS In answer to your question, no, the wood for the case did not come from the Black Forest itself.

Paolo_barbagallo

New User
Nov 19, 2021
Country
good evening the clock has been started and works well, I put the last photos,
as I said and I apologize if this is not the right section, the watch is for sale the proceeds will be used in favor of poor children to offer a Christmas evening meal, anyone interested can contact me privately, no auctions and no fixed prices. I leave the choice to those who want to buy it, shipping to be paid by the buyer

C45EAA81-CF00-40CC-BF50-552067E3318E.jpeg 95A50FC4-4A49-43B5-B7B0-458552814858.jpeg 47986374-3627-4B9A-AF8E-8E901C5756D4.jpeg BD402454-DCF1-4F6C-B38A-C472CBA406F9.jpeg 9EF8FF6B-EB63-429D-87B6-AA3C09872047.jpeg 2267DCA0-3545-4B18-B0E5-977D7BDEDABB.jpeg A86CB849-19B3-4F91-8B4F-19534F5E5EA5.jpeg

Smartin

New User
Nov 27, 2021
Country
Hello, new here. I just inherited a Junghans clock. I have no clue of any serial numbers or movement markings and scared to remove the clock from the cabinet. It needs a lot of cleaning and repair as it was not taken care of:( as soon as I get the nerve to remove the clock I will take pictures of the back. Really interested to know how old it is. It still has another pedestal it stands on not sure if I'm going to use it, it's pretty tall as it stands without it.
3CD749E0-CC76-4004-934D-D6051FA76F1E.jpeg A1504ECE-6941-4A77-BDF0-7B192EE9ED4C.jpeg DF1494B9-49CC-4EBA-8B64-532999EC613D.jpeg 9DC661AE-F66C-4683-A53E-5574D9C3BC62.jpeg E65E2022-57C7-4EEC-AC8A-084420697BA8.jpeg 14FE984C-BEEC-469E-9C61-77236B969A96.jpeg FBA3FBCD-3F63-4E65-AF21-5267129F13D0.jpeg 993E9335-8DFE-4501-A2B1-207038F3C8D3.jpeg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Hello, new here. I just inherited a Junghans clock. I have no clue of any serial numbers or movement markings and scared to remove the clock from the cabinet. It needs a lot of cleaning and repair as it was not taken care of:( as soon as I get the nerve to remove the clock I will take pictures of the back. Really interested to know how old it is. It still has another pedestal it stands on not sure if I'm going to use it, it's pretty tall as it stands without it.
View attachment 682963 View attachment 682964 View attachment 682965 View attachment 682966 View attachment 682967 View attachment 682968 View attachment 682969 View attachment 682970
Welcome to the forum.

Junghans date coded their clocks on the back of the movement.

We will need to see clear pictures of the backplate and we will be able to let you know when your clock movement was made. Without seeing the backplate, we can only offer estimates.

If you are hesitant to get to the backplate, and since it will probably need servicing, you can wait until the clock is serviced and ask the clock repair person to provide the pictures.

Regards.

Reactions: Smartin and Betzel

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
Very cool look.

So many who might find an antique car in storage would never think the right first thing is to take it out for a full speed power run, yet will wind a clock, put it on display and let it go. This is an unusual piece, so I hope you will take the advice for proper service before setting it in motion. It may well be around 100 years old never having been taken care of. Who knows?

Also, the dial appears rotated clockwise, so something may have shifted during a (recent?) move. Pendulums and escapements are often damaged (often only slightly) during a move, and service can prevent further tragedy!

Very nice clock. I like it a lot. I hope you can find someone qualified in your area. If not, just give a shout and maybe we can help you find someone?

Reactions: Smartin

Smartin

New User
Nov 27, 2021
Country
Welcome to the forum.

Junghans date coded their clocks on the back of the movement.

We will need to see clear pictures of the backplate and we will be able to let you know when your clock movement was made. Without seeing the backplate, we can only offer estimates.

If you are hesitant to get to the backplate, and since it will probably need servicing, you can wait until the clock is serviced and ask the clock repair person to provide the pictures.

Regards.
Thank you, as soon as I get someone to come take a look and service it I will definitely take pictures.

Smartin

New User
Nov 27, 2021
Country
Very cool look.

So many who might find an antique car in storage would never think the right first thing is to take it out for a full speed power run, yet will wind a clock, put it on display and let it go. This is an unusual piece, so I hope you will take the advice for proper service before setting it in motion. It may well be around 100 years old never having been taken care of. Who knows?

Also, the dial appears rotated clockwise, so something may have shifted during a (recent?) move. Pendulums and escapements are often damaged (often only slightly) during a move, and service can prevent further tragedy!

Very nice clock. I like it a lot. I hope you can find someone qualified in your area. If not, just give a shout and maybe we can help you find someone?
Thanks, when I first saw this clock I was drawn to it. This piece has moved approximately 4 times and did have damage done to it in those moves.
It was originally housed in Puebla, Tehuacan Mexico.
I do have someone in mind to help me with the repairs and show me how to work it.
Thanks again.

Gecko

New User
Jan 3, 2022
Country
I am a new member and found this posting. My father in law purchased this clock in Germany and sent it to Oregon. MY father also enjoyed clocks and rebuilt them. But this clock was given to me by my Mother in Law. I knew it was a vintage clock. I also enjoy the chimes. I read its a bim bam chime. Is there anyway to tell its built date? My MIL stopped using the cock as the chimes bothered her. Well I found there is a adjustment to have the hammer not strike the sound bars. I was also wondering you can see a red string (See the photo) that pulls a lever, When pulled it replays the chime? Is there any operators handbook for this model of clock? Thank to all the forum users and allowing me to join and post questions.

20220101_100822.jpg 20211226_095800.jpg 20211227_120636.jpg 20211229_100413.jpg

Attachments

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
Welcome.

Looks great and I'll bet it sounds nice too! I think you've found the owners manual, right here. Folks who post here may have an actual paper manual, but for now, here are a few things.

- The clock is marked A32, which means is was likely made in the first six months of 1932.
- There are exceptions, but a Bim-Bam clock will strike the hours in sequence and just once on the half hour. Often, they are "chorded" meaning the Bim is one or two rods and the Bam is sounded by others. Does your clock always strike in this kind of sequence, even if chorded?
- The red string will actuate the hour strike sequence, but not right before the hour or half-hour, as it will be in a position of poise called run-up or run to warn. The rest of the time, it should correctly strike the hours, but maybe not always correctly before the next hour, depending on how close it is.

Your clock may have a silent lever, which lifts the hammer(s) off the rods so it will not make noise at all, but I can't see. And, there may also be a fine adjustment closer to the hammer shaft which limits the strike so it always sounds, but very very quietly. This is my personal preference, but you may need special tools, and things change when the movement board is shifted, as in a move, so this kind of adjustment is sometimes not easy to do correctly. I would not bend the wires with my fingers, but many people do it anyway. A few other things you may/may not know:

Mechanical objects need service on a regular schedule to avoid problems. Neglecting this can lead to expensive repairs down the road. You may not know when it was last serviced, so it may be exposed to this right now. Everything will seem normal though...

Don't turn the hands backwards. It's better to stop the pendulum and wait for time to catch up and restart. There is often an idiot-proof mechanism to prevent damage, but why push it?

It should run 8 days, but wind the clock fully the same time every week and see how well it performs. Uh, after you have it serviced, of course.

All the best!

Gecko

New User
Jan 3, 2022
Country
When one the hour it uses 1 striker then followed by 3 other strikers. Then on the half hour it again uses 1 striker followed b y 3 strikers. Yes it always follows the sequence as I noted above. I have only once utilized the red string once when it chimed and can't remember how much as I didn't want to create a problem (hence requesting a manual for this clock). I also included the photo of the striker adjusters. It has 2 adjustments. 1 is for 3 strikers and 1 is for 1 striker. Someone did bend a hammer and all I did was realign them with the tone bar (The inner bar). Those adjusters adjust the distance from the striker to the bar from what I seen when moving them. I did not find a silencer bar and where would I find this knob / shaft?
This clock was service 1 month before stopping the operation and you can see some slight dust build up from the oil coating, from a known clock servicer in Oregon. Thanks for the info on turning hands backwards, and in my young age my dad warmed my butt when I did this to his favorite clock! Yes I always stop and let time catch up to the hand settings.
thanks for the average weight running time of 8 days as I was wondering and suspect like my dad always utilized Sunday evenings as wing all his clocks, guess I will do as my dad did.
I was also wondering the movement sits on a wood platform and slides into the case. It was held in place by a fin nail but not set to the strike hammer and bars. Why is their so much slot left?
The case looks rather rustic and I did also post a picture of the inscription of a wreath of some type and a rams horns? any info on this inscription?
BTW the loud chimes will put me to sleep... love the sound since a kid.
Who would or where would I find a manual for this clock?

Anyone know what I should notify my homeowners insurance to cover the value of this clock? I know its irreplaceable?

By the way in my first post you can use the last attachment it has the chime video.

Thanks
Chuck

20211227_113728.jpg 20211229_100503.jpg 20211226_114357.jpg 20220101_100822.jpg

Last edited:

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
The case looks rather rustic and I did also post a picture of the inscription of a wreath of some type and a rams horns? any info on this inscription?
The case does not look rustic to me, it is typical of its period. The 'inscriptions' you mention have no particular significance, they are just decorative trims.

Anyone know what I should notify my homeowners insurance to cover the value of this clock? I know its irreplaceable?
This clock is not specially valuable, except to you as an heirloom. Have a look at your homeowner's policy - you may find that you do not need to list items below a particular value.

JTD

Gecko

New User
Jan 3, 2022
Country
The case does not look rustic to me, it is typical of its period. The 'inscriptions' you mention have no particular significance, they are just decorative trims.

This clock is not specially valuable, except to you as an heirloom. Have a look at your homeowner's policy - you may find that you do not need to list items below a particular value.

JTD
Thank You JTD, After almost reading all of this thread I am now aware no values are to be given and respect the forum rules. Also good to know the engravings are not special of this and may be only a model of this tall clock.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I am now aware no values are to be given and respect the forum rules.
That used to be the case but the rules were changed some time ago. We can now discuss values on here, providing the clock is not in a current auction.

Long case clocks like yours are not much sought after these days and prices are low at auction. Some quite nice long case clocks don't even sell. That is why I suggested you look at your insurance policy - it may say that only items above a certain value need to be listed separately.

JTD

Reactions: Gecko

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
I doubt you will ever find a manual, and there may not be an easy way to impart years of clock experience to a new owner in just a few short messages, but we try to be helpful. And, I agree with JTD on all points. It would be very difficult to replace exactly, but you can find another one similar, etc. The emotional value is what is driving you, which is great. For most of us, that's what it is all about. In the 1930's, most of the work was still done by hand, so I would still enjoy it :)

So, yes, it's a bim (one hammer) bam (three hammers) striking clock. The second strike probably (once) sounded pretty full and resonant, which is nice when you can barely hear it in the next room, but it does not wake the dead. You will get there, but be patient with yourself and it.

A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it's not like the movement is in front of us. It LOOKS like a round, knurled-grip thumbscrew adjusts either the attack or the stop-limit of each hammer set. If it is a stop, which most are, you have to know the "flex" of the wire hammer is ultimately what you are "tuning" and for the one, it's pretty easy. For the set of three, unless it has not been changed (unlikely), then you will have to mess with it to get them all sounding the way you like, and THEN adjust them all as a set to strike louder or softer as you also like. This may require some learning on your end and (again) a fair amount of patience. When you move things, everything is altered, so this is usually done as a last step after service.

I have said "service" a few times now, right? It's not just a dip and a squirt of oil, but I will stop at that. Proper service does not leave a coat of anything behind, precisely as dust collects on it, but many old timers still dip in 2-stroke fuel and call it serviced. I can't see or say, so you will have to decide for yourself on that. Better than nothing, but lubrication failure is what slowly kills most clocks.

Each time you move the board, the distance to the chime rods, and the sound, will change. It's frustrating; I know. So, make sure the board is where it wants to be, the dial is square to the case, and door closes without hitting anything, etc. maybe this is what the nail is for? Then mess with the chime knobs and angles, etc.

HTH

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I am a new member and found this posting. My father in law purchased this clock in Germany and sent it to Oregon. MY father also enjoyed clocks and rebuilt them. But this clock was given to me by my Mother in Law. I knew it was a vintage clock. I also enjoy the chimes. I read its a bim bam chime. Is there anyway to tell its built date? My MIL stopped using the cock as the chimes bothered her. Well I found there is a adjustment to have the hammer not strike the sound bars. I was also wondering you can see a red string (See the photo) that pulls a lever, When pulled it replays the chime? Is there any operators handbook for this model of clock? Thank to all the forum users and allowing me to join and post questions.

View attachment 688083 View attachment 688085 View attachment 688086 View attachment 688087
Welcome to the forum.

The clock is marked A32, which means is was likely made in the first six months of 1932.
The clock was made in the first half of the year 1923. This a quirk in the Junghans date coding protocol for reasons unknown.

The codes A or B 32, A or B 42 and A or B 52 were made in the years 1923, 1924 and 1925, respectively.

Regards.

• Love
Reactions: Betzel and Gecko

Gecko

New User
Jan 3, 2022
Country
Well just after the initial start up in my home, I adjusted over several day the pendulum and got the time to hold over a 48 hour period the exact to the second. So I guess I found the sweet spot. Now I am trying to see if it will run for up to 8 days before rewind the weights. Wife loves the chimes and its not to loud either.

Chuck

Reactions: Royce

Vyper4

NAWCC Member
Jul 4, 2021
Country
Region
Junghans Mini Regulator, believe it to be late 1800’s/early 1900’s but cannot find it in the archives to verify.

831D1F25-3795-4282-8B61-D00762DB09B2.jpeg

Sharpbike

Aug 25, 2021
Country
Hi everyone, I just got this Junghans long case clock. Date code A13. Would anyone have an image of it from a catalogue? Thanks

C041DAB1-3047-4881-82C4-9D3E2E87539C.jpeg F1B8716E-79CF-4904-8E2F-ABB5642A103A.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pavlin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller