Post your JUNGHANS clocks here

gintarasb64

Oct 1, 2012
Lithuania
Country
Hello,
I got this nice Junghans 2 weight regulator. There is "Made in Austria" description on the dial and this is trange for me. I think that Junghans did not have factories in Austria. Any comments would be very interesting.
Regards
Gintaras

20190421_130956.jpg 20190501_190923.jpg 20190413_204820.jpg 20190501_190940.jpg image001.png 20190413_204846.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
In reply to your questions, we can read in Schmid's 'Lexikon' that '...in 1901 Junghans took over the clock factory of Gebr. Resch in Ebensee, ....Junghans left this premises in 1921 and opened an office in Vienna, Hermanngasse 8. ..... Junghans movements were also put into Austrian-made cases in Vienna and at one time employed 150 workers.'

So perhaps the answer to your first question is that Junghans did have some work in Austria.

However, I have another thought. Fattorini & Sons were a very well known clock and watch dealers in the north of England. The words 'Made in Austria' on the dial of your clock look a little as if they were added by hand, not quite as neatly as you might expect. I wonder if it is possible that Fattorini & Sons used a little 'poetic licence' and added 'Made in Austria' themselves, to make the clock look less German. But that is only an idea, and the clock may well really have been put together in Austria.

JTD

Royce

NAWCC Member
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
Country
Region
Junghans-1.JPG Junghans-2.JPG Junghans-3.JPG Junghans-4.JPG Junghans-5.JPG Junghans-6.JPG Junghans-7.JPG Junghans-8.JPG Junghans-9.JPG Junghans-10.JPG Junghans-11.JPG
Picked up this Junghans Clock yesterday at a consignment auction for $35. I read through this thread and did not see this particular clock; although I certainly could have missed it. Based on the Trademark no date stamping on the movement, I am assuming this clock was manufactured between 1890 and 1900. Thoughts?? Any information on the model and etc. would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I can't help with model name, but the movement is dated September 1914 (9.14.). The clock is probably dated about that same time, depending on when the movement was put in the case.

Reactions: Splord

Isaac

Aug 5, 2013
Country
Region
An interesting clock. Seems to be a hybrid between an upright style case and a tambour. I really like the sound quality that comes out of this chime setup with the rods and coiled gong. The movement is well built - typical for Junghans chime clocks. Some of these movements used 2 large brass disks as a pin drum, while others like yours used a silver colored cylinder with raised cut outs.

Isaac

Reactions: Splord

pickledcotton

Jul 1, 2019
Country
This is a Junghans clock that was owned by my great-grandfather. We just had it restored after my father’s passing earlier this year as the clock was drenched in cigarette smoke for years and did not work. From the etching I know it was made in the second half of 1912. Does anyone know the model information or history on this clock?

Thanks!
Deanna

IMG_0349.JPG IMG_0350.JPG IMG_3189.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
This is a Junghans clock that was owned by my great-grandfather. We just had it restored after my father’s passing earlier this year as the clock was drenched in cigarette smoke for years and did not work. From the etching I know it was made in the second half of 1912. Does anyone know the model information or history on this clock?

Thanks!
Deanna

View attachment 538720 View attachment 538721 View attachment 538722
Welcome to the board.

You Junghans mantel clock was made in the second half of the year 1912, as you already know.

With respect to a model name, we would only know if someone had a Junghans sales catalog for 1912. Most German manufacturers did not name their clocks (as American manufacturers did), but some did have model numbers.

Regards.

rlwindle

Mar 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Country
Region
I recently bought a strange Junghans clock, I thought it was some sort of a clock maybe used in a synagogue because of a embossed Menorah like object at the top, but since it was only six branches, I changed my mind. The pendulum is unique also as well as the corner pieces in each corner. It features a Junghan's A06 movement. I am restoring it and will probably put it in a frame in lieu of a case.
back of movement.jpg clock face.jpg full clock.jpg Junghans Gong.jpg large menora.jpg pendulum bob.jpg upper left corner.jpg

Reactions: Royce

Volfan

Jul 27, 2019
Country
First time poster here. I have enjoyed reading various threads, including this one and appreciate the information. Thank you.

I have a grandfather clock given to me several years ago. It is mission style. I recently made some minor repairs to the case and was able to get it running. I was hoping to learn a bit more about it. The movement is Junghans B13, which I understand means it was made in the second half of 1913. The case has a stamp on the back that says Gongkontroll Hettich. It's very faint - so faint, I almost missed it. I have seen a couple of other clocks online, and one posted here I think, with that same stamp. Is Gonkontroll Hettich a case maker that used Junghan movements? There is also a handwritten notation on the back "75K." No idea what that may mean if anything.

I have looked for indications of it being a marriage. Everything appears to fit, no extra holes or indication of being reworked, except that the pendulum seems like it may have been modified. The case had feet on the bottom which were clearly added. I removed those. I also believe the leader is wrong. Are leaders for that movement generally all alike, i.e. the leader matches the movement, not the case? If so, if someone could share with me the correct leader, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your help. Any information appreciated!!

IMG_1729.jpg IMG_1773.jpg IMG_1730.jpg IMG_1764.jpg IMG_1766.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
First time poster here. I have enjoyed reading various threads, including this one and appreciate the information. Thank you.

I have a grandfather clock given to me several years ago. It is mission style. I recently made some minor repairs to the case and was able to get it running. I was hoping to learn a bit more about it. The movement is Junghans B13, which I understand means it was made in the second half of 1913. The case has a stamp on the back that says Gongkontroll Hettich. It's very faint - so faint, I almost missed it. I have seen a couple of other clocks online, and one posted here I think, with that same stamp. Is Gonkontroll Hettich a case maker that used Junghan movements? There is also a handwritten notation on the back "75K." No idea what that may mean if anything.

I have looked for indications of it being a marriage. Everything appears to fit, no extra holes or indication of being reworked, except that the pendulum seems like it may have been modified. The case had feet on the bottom which were clearly added. I removed those. I also believe the leader is wrong. Are leaders for that movement generally all alike, i.e. the leader matches the movement, not the case? If so, if someone could share with me the correct leader, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your help. Any information appreciated!!

View attachment 542057 View attachment 542061 View attachment 542058 View attachment 542059 View attachment 542060
Welcome to the board.

The question of "Gongkontroll Hettich" has appeared on these boards before:

Gongkontrolle Hettich

No one is sure of what it represents, but it most likely pertains to the gong as opposed to the casemaker.

Ironically, the clock in the above thread was labeled with a Junghans "A 13" movement, which, as you know, was produced just 6 months or so before your movement.

Regards.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Welcome to the board.

As you know, your clock is made by Junghans, in Germany. Going by the style I would suppose it was made in the 1930s. To be more sure, we need to see photos of the back of the movement.

Most Junghans clocks did not have a model name.

We are not allowed to discuss possible values on this part of the site. You can post your request on the 'What's this clock worth?' section (scroll down to the bottom of the front page).

JTD

Reactions: MaryAnnAlexis

rlwindle

Mar 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Country
Region
My 1906 Junghans clock in action. The Westminster chime in the background is from my tall case clock and another wall clock.

Paul Arsenault

NAWCC Member
Jan 21, 2007
Maryland
Country
Region
Hello,
I have attached some pictures of my Junghans wall clock. The movement is stamped with a pointed star and inside the star is "UNGHANS" above the letter J. Just below the star is 1214. left upper corner of movement it say "100". Unfortunetely the condition of the clock case is poor and I don't know the original shape. I hope to restore it. Please help me with details about the year of fabrication, or some pictures from catalogue if it is possible.
Thanks.

Paul Arsenault

NAWCC Member
Jan 21, 2007
Maryland
Country
Region
Paul Arsenault

Did you mean to attach some photos?

JTD
this was in reply to a post made by livium in 2006. seems he hasn't been active since 2010. I did create a post earlier regarding pendulum questions on a Wurttemberg movement. with pics attached.

swhite

Nov 23, 2015
Country
Hi All,

On May 9, 2014 M Saxon posted pictures of the movement and case of his ERWIN. A little over two weeks later, on May 27, 2014, S1ider posted pictures of his similar (identical?) movement but with a different case. I have a movement and associated parts (pendulum, winding key, clock hands and double chime coils on a post) but no case. I tried to post pictures of these items but was blocked because I do not have enough posts yet (this is only my second posting). The trademark on my movement shows an eight-pointed star surrounding a large capital J and the rest of the name in smaller font in a crescent above the "J".

My question is whether is was customary for Junghans to use a specific movement type in multiple style cases? It seems logical that this might be the situation and thus I cannot know which type case my mechanism originally came in.

Also, does the trademark indicate that the clock was manufactured between 1890 and 1899?

Thanks for your help with these matters,

Stu

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
The trademark on my movement shows an eight-pointed star surrounding a large capital J and the rest of the name in smaller font in a crescent above the "J".

Also, does the trademark indicate that the clock was manufactured between 1890 and 1899?

Thanks for your help with these matters,

Stu
Stu,

I assume you are referencing the Junghans trademark "Unghans" over a "J". The pictures you provided are not completely clear.

If yes, the TM was registered in 1891 (or 1890, the exact year escapes me at the moment). Junghans commenced date coding their clock in 1901 until the 1950's, I believe.

Your movement appears to have been manufactured between 1891 and 1900.

Additional pictures of your clock (dial, case, etc.) will also be helpful and may supply more clues.

Regards.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Additional pictures of your clock (dial, case, etc.) will also be helpful and may supply more clues.
He says he hasn't go the case and he doesn't mention the dial so I guess he hasn't got that either.

My question is whether is was customary for Junghans to use a specific movement type in multiple style cases? It seems logical that this might be the situation and thus I cannot know which type case my mechanism originally came in.
Yes, Junghans used the same movement in many different cases. So long as the movement would fit, they didn't need to make another.

JTD

Betzel

Dec 1, 2010
Region
Greetings! Here's another one.

I probably overpaid for this at 45 Euro, as it's not that old or ornate, but it was calling me. My first Junghans.

I'm guessing, based on what I've seen/read here, this may be one of the last civilian units made, perhaps November of 1938 (just after the annexation of the Sudetenland?) but I would like your thoughts. The movement is not trademarked (that I could see) and is only stamped 118. And, it looks like the W202's. I was really impressed by the overall quality and engineering components such as the rack/mount/thumbscrews (like "the works in a drawer" from Quasar TV's back in the day!) and the similarly themed slide-out easy access motor barrels, as well as the pull-chain for a strike-on-demand (except after the run to warn). Two small screws inside the case appear to be for key storage. Additionally, everything steel that's not nickel plated (I mean everything) is darkly blued as I've only seen done in super-hot bluing salt baths like a firearm or parts for my Leinen lathe, before chemical treatment became the cheap (and less dangerous) way to darken steel against rust. Even the case hinges and screws are done this way!

My only complaint would be the the gong-stops, which are difficult to adjust. The chime rods (strike, actually) rods sound great (I had to polish one to get it to sound good again) but I need to find and make bigger/harder/better leather "tips" for the hammers to improve their sound. Finding "hole-cut" material punched out of really thick finished leather locally is not easy. The movement was bronze-bushed in high stress areas, but not all, and there is not much of an oil sink on any of the pivot holes --including those without a bush, so maybe this bearing detail was original? The case is not classic, but reminds me of the older Deco styled units which had leaded glass, finials and a turned silver dial. This one is painted or some sort of lacquered paper. But, I Iike it. Pictures are pre-disassembly; I missed taking some afterwards.

Interestingly, the word "Foreign" appears in English at the 6:00 base of the dial, which I've never seen anywhere. Made for an English speaking country, but not the USA? (which, I understand, would have required "Made In Germany" stamped somewhere conspicuous for importation since around 1905 or so. If so, maybe for the UK? Canada? South Africa? or A/NZ market? Dunno, but perhaps someone here can shed light on it.

Register-Chimes-KeyScrews.jpg Pendo.jpg Dial.jpg Foreign.jpg Werk-front.jpg Werk-rear.jpg Case.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Greetings! Here's another one.

I probably overpaid for this at 45 Euro, as it's not that old or ornate, but it was calling me. My first Junghans.

I'm guessing, based on what I've seen/read here, this may be one of the last civilian units made, perhaps November of 1938 (just after the annexation of the Sudetenland?) but I would like your thoughts. The movement is not trademarked (that I could see) and is only stamped 118. And, it looks like the W202's. I was really impressed by the overall quality and engineering components such as the rack/mount/thumbscrews (like "the works in a drawer" from Quasar TV's back in the day!) and the similarly themed slide-out easy access motor barrels, as well as the pull-chain for a strike-on-demand (except after the run to warn). Two small screws inside the case appear to be for key storage. Additionally, everything steel that's not nickel plated (I mean everything) is darkly blued as I've only seen done in super-hot bluing salt baths like a firearm or parts for my Leinen lathe, before chemical treatment became the cheap (and less dangerous) way to darken steel against rust. Even the case hinges and screws are done this way!

My only complaint would be the the gong-stops, which are difficult to adjust. The chime rods (strike, actually) rods sound great (I had to polish one to get it to sound good again) but I need to find and make bigger/harder/better leather "tips" for the hammers to improve their sound. Finding "hole-cut" material punched out of really thick finished leather locally is not easy. The movement was bronze-bushed in high stress areas, but not all, and there is not much of an oil sink on any of the pivot holes --including those without a bush, so maybe this bearing detail was original? The case is not classic, but reminds me of the older Deco styled units which had leaded glass, finials and a turned silver dial. This one is painted or some sort of lacquered paper. But, I Iike it. Pictures are pre-disassembly; I missed taking some afterwards.

Interestingly, the word "Foreign" appears in English at the 6:00 base of the dial, which I've never seen anywhere. Made for an English speaking country, but not the USA? (which, I understand, would have required "Made In Germany" stamped somewhere conspicuous for importation since around 1905 or so. If so, maybe for the UK? Canada? South Africa? or A/NZ market? Dunno, but perhaps someone here can shed light on it.

View attachment 551788 View attachment 551789 View attachment 551790 View attachment 551791 View attachment 551792 View attachment 551793 View attachment 551794
The word "Foreign" on the dial indicates that the clock was manufactured for import into the U.K.

Regards.

Reactions: Betzel

Betzel

Dec 1, 2010
Region
OK, UK model it is. Damn the torpedoes! You have to be effin cool to have a cigar named after you!! :)

mjj1543

Sep 20, 2019
Country
Picked up this Junghans Clock yesterday at a consignment auction for $35. I read through this thread and did not see this particular clock; although I certainly could have missed it. Based on the Trademark no date stamping on the movement, I am assuming this clock was manufactured between 1890 and 1900. Thoughts?? Any information on the model and etc. would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Hi there, think my movement is identical to yours, also dated by this forum as between 1891 and 1900. Picked mine up for a similar price from auction over here in the UK, £25. Other than the Junghans trademark there are no distinguishing marks on mine other than some servicing codes and dates inside the rear door. I posted a thread on my restoration of this clock on the repair forums about a month or so ago if interested.
P1090273.JPG P1090276.JPG P1090278.JPG P1090279.JPG P1090280.JPG P1090282.JPG

Last edited:

mjj1543

Sep 20, 2019
Country
Out of interest Royce, if you read this, i note that my movement is identical to yours with the exception of the brass lever/wire at the upper right hand side in your photo (reattached here) that is connected to the hammer. Mine is missing this addition but functions perfectly well. Any idea what it does? P1090220.JPG Similar movement Junghans-7.JPG 086.JPG

Last edited:

Royce

NAWCC Member
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
Country
Region
Hi there, think my movement is identical to yours, also dated by this forum as between 1891 and 1900. Picked mine up for a similar price from auction over here in the UK, £25. Other than the Junghans trademark there are no distinguishing marks on mine other than some servicing codes and dates inside the rear door. I posted a thread on my restoration of this clock on the repair forums about a month or so ago if interested.
View attachment 552114 View attachment 552115 View attachment 552116 View attachment 552117 View attachment 552118 View attachment 552119
This is a spring wire that I assume assists in preventing double hammer strikes. I haven't begun with the servicing of the movement as of yet so I will see when I can get to it.

Royce

NAWCC Member
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
Country
Region
View attachment 552114 View attachment 552115 View attachment 552116 View attachment 552117 View attachment 552118 View attachment 552119
Nicely done!!

Antonio Damasio

Jun 30, 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
Country
Good night. My father was a watchmaker and I inherited some watches and clocks. In this case a Junghans movement that has inscribed behind 11/30 and W 52. I would like to know what clock it is and what date and its shape because I only have the movement. Thanks

20191103_120545-1.jpg 20191103_120552.jpg 20191103_120626-1.jpg 20191103_120712-1.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Good night. My father was a watchmaker and I inherited some watches and clocks. In this case a Junghans movement that has inscribed behind 11/30 and W 52. I would like to know what clock it is and what date and its shape because I only have the movement. Thanks

View attachment 555678 View attachment 555679 View attachment 555680 View attachment 555681
Antonio,

You have a very interesting Junghans movement.

Junghans was known to identify their movement models with a code that commenced with the letter "W" - abbreviated for "Werke". However, I do not believe that a "W 52" movement model has been shown on this board prior to your post.

Junghans also date coded their movements. Your movement has the following stamped onto it - "11.30". It is possible that this is a Junghans date code, but I believe that the person who has performed a great amount of research into Junghans (Victor Tang) has only documented the dating protocol "Month (dot) Year" (or in your case, 11.30) for a short period of time during the year of 1914. For example, he documented "2.14" for February, 1914. In addition, he documented movements made in 1930 with the following protocol - "30 2" for movements manufactured in the month of February, 1930. Note that there is no "dot" between the numbers, just an empty space and the year comes before the month.

To add to the confusion, Junghans purchased Hamburg American (HAC or HAU) in 1930. Although Junghans continued to use the HAC trademark (the crossed arrows trademark) Junghans also applied their trademark to HAC movements. However, I am not aware of a movement "52" that was designed by HAC.

So, at this point, it appears that your Junghans movement was a W52 movement made in November of 1930 and that such movement and such date code has not been previously shown on this board.

Unfortunately, all of this information does not indicate the type of case in which your movement would have resided.

I will further research your movement in an attempt to conclusively answer your questions. Perhaps others may have more information.

Regards.

Antonio Damasio

Jun 30, 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
Country
Hello new2clocks good afternoon. Thanks for the information you gave me about the Junghans W 52 movement. I did some research and found a kitchen clock with this movement for sale. I will send you the link to check if it really is the same W52 I have. This one I saw has marked the year 31 but the movement is the same I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Hello new2clocks good afternoon. Thanks for the information you gave me about the Junghans W 52 movement. I did some research and found a kitchen clock with this movement for sale. I will send you the link to check if it really is the same W52 I have. This one I saw has marked the year 31 but the movement is the same I think.
Antonio,

I am not sure what is meant in the link as "Kienzle era", as Junghans and Kienzle never owned the other.

What the link does show is that Junghans produced a movement that the seller labels a W52 movement that was most likely in use, at least during the early 1930's.

The movement is very similar to your movement and I believe you can reasonably assume that your movement belongs in a small kitchen clock.

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Antonio Damasio

Jun 30, 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
Country
new2clocks
Thanks for the suggestion about W 52 from the link. Probably the case of my clock could be like this one from the link. I appreciate any information you find about this. I want to make a new case to get the clock running. Maybe I can use these images as a reference if I don't find any more.
Regards

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
new2clocks
Thanks for the suggestion about W 52 from the link. Probably the case of my clock could be like this one from the link. I appreciate any information you find about this. I want to make a new case to get the clock running. Maybe I can use these images as a reference if I don't find any more.
Regards
Antonio,

The following are from Post number 661, above. They are some kitchen clocks from a 1931 Junghans catalog!

I do not know if they utilized your movement, but they give you some more ideas.

https://mb.nawcc.org/attachments/1931jhgbhac-pg000cover-jpg.138511/

https://mb.nawcc.org/attachments/1931jhgbhac-pg062-jpg.138512/

Regards.

Love clocks

Jun 10, 2019
Country
Ballerina Clock 2 - GS.JPG Brass Alarm Unley 1.JPG Brass Clock 8 - Riverton.JPG Mystery Clock 2 - Mark Gumtree.jpg
Our collection of Junghans Clocks...less a small double belled alarm clock which I can't find the picture of. No pictures of movements sorry.

england-5

Jan 17, 2014
Hi, I have acquired this Junghans wall clock, which I believe dates to c1888 due to the 5 pointed star logo. 8 day wall clock in the "chalet" style. Although I have searched extensively, I can't find another like it. It looks to have had some decoration/trim missing from the top (I can see marks/nail holes?). Do you think it would have once had some sort of scroll work, like on a cuckoo clock, or a row of brass balls (I have seen a few chalet type mantle clocks with these in place)? Any help, much appreciated.

100_7538-001.JPG 100_7541-001.JPG 100_7543-001.JPG 100_7553-001.JPG 100_7557.JPG

Philipknight

Apr 7, 2020
Country
Does anyone know anything about this clock. Was given to my wife by her late Grandmother. Great fun for any details on when it was made and how much clock would be worth if anything after being serviced etc.. Thanks in advance.

1E053C62-54B8-4251-A8E1-E7D99D9B6219.jpeg D19F5195-DC9C-49ED-8408-F284B69316EC.jpeg 0A50B738-69C9-4B60-9519-3212E92744DB.jpeg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Does anyone know anything about this clock. Was given to my wife by her late Grandmother. Great fun for any details on when it was made and how much clock would be worth if anything after being serviced etc.. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 581377 View attachment 581378 View attachment 581379
Welcome to the board.

Your clock was probably made around 1890 give or take a few years - this style didn't change much for quite a while.

We are not allowed to discuss values here (you can go to the 'What's this clock worth?' section right at the bottom of the front page) but I can say it is not a valuable clock. A good way to see values is to look on Ebay for completed sales of similar clocks.

JTD

Dmuser

Jan 24, 2015
St.Petersburg, RU
Country
Hello, everyone!
Below on the pictures are my Junghans carriage clock. I got them in good condition, except that it wasn't running, needing some cleaning, polishing and oiling (all part were in oil, such as WD40). Both mainsprings were almost wound in full.
I have disassembled, cleaned, polished and oiled them.
Also, I have made video after cleaning.
Please identify them for me, when it was made. Also, What color were the hands on this model? Now it doesn't look in good contrast.

IMG_8823.JPG IMG_8831.JPG IMG_8830.JPG IMG_8849.JPG IMG_8860.JPG IMG_8898.JPG IMG_8899.JPG IMG_8890.JPG

Thank you
Alex

Last edited:

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Hello, everyone!
Below on the pictures are my Junghans carriage clock. I got them in good condition, except that it wasn't running, needing some cleaning, polishing and oiling (all part were in oil, such as WD40). Both mainsprings were almost wound in full.
I have disassembled, cleaned, polished and oiled them.
Also, I have made video after cleaning.
Please identify them for me, when it was made. Also, What color were the hands on this model? Now it doesn't look in good contrast.

View attachment 588129 View attachment 588130 View attachment 588131 View attachment 588132 View attachment 588133 View attachment 588134 View attachment 588135 View attachment 588136

Thank you
Alex
Alex,

The style of your clock is known as a "Joker".

The "Unghans over a J in an 8 pointed star" trademark was registered in 1890 or 1891. The lack of a date code most likely dates your clock between 1890 (or 1891) and 1900, the year before Junghans commenced date coding their movements.

Regards.

Royce

NAWCC Member
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
Country
Region
I have an identical Junghans carriage clock . Many companies made identical or almost identical clocks and they are referred to as a "Joker". The hands on my clock are black. I believe they were made for many years but mine has a stamp on the inside floor of the clock "A24" which indicates it was manufactured in the 1st half of 1924. From your pictures, I could not see a stamping although it may be there.

I see New2Clocks is a swifter responder!

Spozaranok

May 10, 2020
Country
Hi,

Please help me to identify my grandfather clock. I suppose it to be Junghans but the mechanism does not have any logo only number 17538 and "60|SCHW."

IMG_20200511_130133.jpg IMG_20200511_125925.jpg IMG_20200511_125801.jpg IMG_20200511_125400.jpg IMG_20200511_125336.jpg IMG_20200511_125243.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Hi,

Please help me to identify my grandfather clock. I suppose it to be Junghans but the mechanism does not have any logo only number 17538 and "60|SCHW."

View attachment 589458 View attachment 589459 View attachment 589460 View attachment 589461 View attachment 589462 View attachment 589463
Welcome to the forum.

I cannot read the name on the gong bracket, but if it reads "Kaiser Gong", then I believe that Kaiser Gong is a trademark of Junghans.

Whether the movement is original to the case, I cannot say.

Regards.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
It does say Kaiser Gong. This mark was used by Junghans and also Thomas Haller, which Junghans took over in 1900.

JTD
The patent for the Kaiser Gong was granted in 1910. As a matter of interest, we have seen the Kaiser Gong patent number also used for Junghans's Walg Gong and Wald-Glocken Gong. See the threads linked below. Possibly after WWI, it was felt prudent to abandon the term "Kaiser."

German tall case clock?

German - Can anyone please confirm a date of manufacture of this Junghans.

Spozaranok

May 10, 2020
Country
Many thanks and best wishes to all of you! This clock is from my great-grandmother from Moscow, Russia. It is a part of my family history and I plan to tune it and make a new case or find a better one for the restoration. On page 21 I have found similar case with other mechanism.

Screenshot_2020-05-11-20-38-39-409_com.yandex.browser.jpg

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fasteddie
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool