Post your JUNGHANS clocks here

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by any400day, Dec 2, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gintarasb64

gintarasb64 Registered User

Oct 1, 2012
    Male
    Lithuania
    Country Flag:
    Hello,
    I got this nice Junghans 2 weight regulator. There is "Made in Austria" description on the dial and this is trange for me. I think that Junghans did not have factories in Austria. Any comments would be very interesting.
    Regards
    Gintaras

20190421_130956.jpg 20190501_190923.jpg 20190413_204820.jpg 20190501_190940.jpg image001.png 20190413_204846.jpg

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    In reply to your questions, we can read in Schmid's 'Lexikon' that '...in 1901 Junghans took over the clock factory of Gebr. Resch in Ebensee, ....Junghans left this premises in 1921 and opened an office in Vienna, Hermanngasse 8. ..... Junghans movements were also put into Austrian-made cases in Vienna and at one time employed 150 workers.'

So perhaps the answer to your first question is that Junghans did have some work in Austria.

However, I have another thought. Fattorini & Sons were a very well known clock and watch dealers in the north of England. The words 'Made in Austria' on the dial of your clock look a little as if they were added by hand, not quite as neatly as you might expect. I wonder if it is possible that Fattorini & Sons used a little 'poetic licence' and added 'Made in Austria' themselves, to make the clock look less German. But that is only an idea, and the clock may well really have been put together in Austria.

JTD

3. Royce

Royce Registered User

Oct 8, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Junghans-1.JPG Junghans-2.JPG Junghans-3.JPG Junghans-4.JPG Junghans-5.JPG Junghans-6.JPG Junghans-7.JPG Junghans-8.JPG Junghans-9.JPG Junghans-10.JPG Junghans-11.JPG
    Picked up this Junghans Clock yesterday at a consignment auction for $35. I read through this thread and did not see this particular clock; although I certainly could have missed it. Based on the Trademark no date stamping on the movement, I am assuming this clock was manufactured between 1890 and 1900. Thoughts?? Any information on the model and etc. would be most appreciated. Thanks!

4. Splord

Splord Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 25, 2014
    Does anyone know the date and model of this Junghans mantle clock and any relevant history of the company?
    Thanks!
    IMG_1834.JPG IMG_1836.JPG IMG_1837.JPG IMG_1838.JPG IMG_1839.JPG IMG_1840.JPG IMG_1843.JPG IMG_1846.JPG

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I can't help with model name, but the movement is dated September 1914 (9.14.). The clock is probably dated about that same time, depending on when the movement was put in the case.

Splord likes this.
  6. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    An interesting clock. Seems to be a hybrid between an upright style case and a tambour. I really like the sound quality that comes out of this chime setup with the rods and coiled gong. The movement is well built - typical for Junghans chime clocks. Some of these movements used 2 large brass disks as a pin drum, while others like yours used a silver colored cylinder with raised cut outs.

Isaac

Splord likes this.
  7. pickledcotton

pickledcotton New Member

Jul 1, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    This is a Junghans clock that was owned by my great-grandfather. We just had it restored after my father’s passing earlier this year as the clock was drenched in cigarette smoke for years and did not work. From the etching I know it was made in the second half of 1912. Does anyone know the model information or history on this clock?

Thanks!
    Deanna

IMG_0349.JPG IMG_0350.JPG IMG_3189.jpg

8. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the board.

You Junghans mantel clock was made in the second half of the year 1912, as you already know.

With respect to a model name, we would only know if someone had a Junghans sales catalog for 1912. Most German manufacturers did not name their clocks (as American manufacturers did), but some did have model numbers.

Regards.

9. rlwindle

rlwindle Registered User

Mar 18, 2011
    Technical Writer
    Dallas, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I recently bought a strange Junghans clock, I thought it was some sort of a clock maybe used in a synagogue because of a embossed Menorah like object at the top, but since it was only six branches, I changed my mind. The pendulum is unique also as well as the corner pieces in each corner. It features a Junghan's A06 movement. I am restoring it and will probably put it in a frame in lieu of a case.
    back of movement.jpg clock face.jpg full clock.jpg Junghans Gong.jpg large menora.jpg pendulum bob.jpg upper left corner.jpg

Royce likes this.
  10. Love clocks

Love clocks Registered User

Jun 10, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Ballerina Clock 2 - GS.JPG Brass Clock 8 - Riverton.JPG Brass Double Bell Clock - Marketplace.JPG Mystery Clock 2 - Mark Gumtree.jpg
    Our four Junghans Clocks

11. rlwindle

rlwindle Registered User

Mar 18, 2011
    Technical Writer
    Dallas, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When I posted the pictures of this clock I forgot this one of the movement.
    A06 small.jpg

12. Volfan

Volfan New Member

Jul 27, 2019
    Country Flag:
    First time poster here. I have enjoyed reading various threads, including this one and appreciate the information. Thank you.

I have a grandfather clock given to me several years ago. It is mission style. I recently made some minor repairs to the case and was able to get it running. I was hoping to learn a bit more about it. The movement is Junghans B13, which I understand means it was made in the second half of 1913. The case has a stamp on the back that says Gongkontroll Hettich. It's very faint - so faint, I almost missed it. I have seen a couple of other clocks online, and one posted here I think, with that same stamp. Is Gonkontroll Hettich a case maker that used Junghan movements? There is also a handwritten notation on the back "75K." No idea what that may mean if anything.

I have looked for indications of it being a marriage. Everything appears to fit, no extra holes or indication of being reworked, except that the pendulum seems like it may have been modified. The case had feet on the bottom which were clearly added. I removed those. I also believe the leader is wrong. Are leaders for that movement generally all alike, i.e. the leader matches the movement, not the case? If so, if someone could share with me the correct leader, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your help. Any information appreciated!!

IMG_1729.jpg IMG_1773.jpg IMG_1730.jpg IMG_1764.jpg IMG_1766.jpg

13. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the board.

The question of "Gongkontroll Hettich" has appeared on these boards before:

Gongkontrolle Hettich

No one is sure of what it represents, but it most likely pertains to the gong as opposed to the casemaker.

Ironically, the clock in the above thread was labeled with a Junghans "A 13" movement, which, as you know, was produced just 6 months or so before your movement.

Regards.

14. MaryAnnAlexis

MaryAnnAlexis Registered User

Jul 28, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Im new to this and was wondering any of you guys could help me up with the vintage/model and if it's worth anything. Thx

JungHans1.jpg JungHans4.jpg

15. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board.

As you know, your clock is made by Junghans, in Germany. Going by the style I would suppose it was made in the 1930s. To be more sure, we need to see photos of the back of the movement.

Most Junghans clocks did not have a model name.

We are not allowed to discuss possible values on this part of the site. You can post your request on the 'What's this clock worth?' section (scroll down to the bottom of the front page).

JTD

MaryAnnAlexis likes this.
  16. rlwindle

rlwindle Registered User

Mar 18, 2011
    Technical Writer
    Dallas, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My 1906 Junghans clock in action. The Westminster chime in the background is from my tall case clock and another wall clock.

17. Paul Arsenault

Paul Arsenault Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Male
    Sales
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

18. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I can't see any pictures.

JTD

19. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Paul Arsenault

Did you mean to attach some photos?

JTD

20. Paul Arsenault

Paul Arsenault Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Male
    Sales
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    this was in reply to a post made by livium in 2006. seems he hasn't been active since 2010. I did create a post earlier regarding pendulum questions on a Wurttemberg movement. with pics attached.

21. swhite

swhite Registered User

Nov 23, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Hi All,

On May 9, 2014 M Saxon posted pictures of the movement and case of his ERWIN. A little over two weeks later, on May 27, 2014, S1ider posted pictures of his similar (identical?) movement but with a different case. I have a movement and associated parts (pendulum, winding key, clock hands and double chime coils on a post) but no case. I tried to post pictures of these items but was blocked because I do not have enough posts yet (this is only my second posting). The trademark on my movement shows an eight-pointed star surrounding a large capital J and the rest of the name in smaller font in a crescent above the "J".

My question is whether is was customary for Junghans to use a specific movement type in multiple style cases? It seems logical that this might be the situation and thus I cannot know which type case my mechanism originally came in.

Also, does the trademark indicate that the clock was manufactured between 1890 and 1899?

Thanks for your help with these matters,

Stu

22. swhite

swhite Registered User

Nov 23, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Here are the pictures I tried to send in the previous message:

IMG_9836 2.jpeg IMG_9835 2.jpeg IMG_9837 2.jpeg IMG_9838 2.jpeg

23. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Stu,

I assume you are referencing the Junghans trademark "Unghans" over a "J". The pictures you provided are not completely clear.

If yes, the TM was registered in 1891 (or 1890, the exact year escapes me at the moment). Junghans commenced date coding their clock in 1901 until the 1950's, I believe.

Your movement appears to have been manufactured between 1891 and 1900.

Additional pictures of your clock (dial, case, etc.) will also be helpful and may supply more clues.

Regards.

24. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    He says he hasn't go the case and he doesn't mention the dial so I guess he hasn't got that either.

Yes, Junghans used the same movement in many different cases. So long as the movement would fit, they didn't need to make another.

JTD

25. swhite

swhite Registered User

Nov 23, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Here is a better picture of the trademark. Sadly I do not have the dial.

IMG_9848.jpeg

26. Betzel

Betzel Registered User

Dec 1, 2010
    Region Flag:
    Greetings! Here's another one.

I probably overpaid for this at 45 Euro, as it's not that old or ornate, but it was calling me. My first Junghans.

I'm guessing, based on what I've seen/read here, this may be one of the last civilian units made, perhaps November of 1938 (just after the annexation of the Sudetenland?) but I would like your thoughts. The movement is not trademarked (that I could see) and is only stamped 118. And, it looks like the W202's. I was really impressed by the overall quality and engineering components such as the rack/mount/thumbscrews (like "the works in a drawer" from Quasar TV's back in the day!) and the similarly themed slide-out easy access motor barrels, as well as the pull-chain for a strike-on-demand (except after the run to warn). Two small screws inside the case appear to be for key storage. Additionally, everything steel that's not nickel plated (I mean everything) is darkly blued as I've only seen done in super-hot bluing salt baths like a firearm or parts for my Leinen lathe, before chemical treatment became the cheap (and less dangerous) way to darken steel against rust. Even the case hinges and screws are done this way!

My only complaint would be the the gong-stops, which are difficult to adjust. The chime rods (strike, actually) rods sound great (I had to polish one to get it to sound good again) but I need to find and make bigger/harder/better leather "tips" for the hammers to improve their sound. Finding "hole-cut" material punched out of really thick finished leather locally is not easy. The movement was bronze-bushed in high stress areas, but not all, and there is not much of an oil sink on any of the pivot holes --including those without a bush, so maybe this bearing detail was original? The case is not classic, but reminds me of the older Deco styled units which had leaded glass, finials and a turned silver dial. This one is painted or some sort of lacquered paper. But, I Iike it. Pictures are pre-disassembly; I missed taking some afterwards.

Interestingly, the word "Foreign" appears in English at the 6:00 base of the dial, which I've never seen anywhere. Made for an English speaking country, but not the USA? (which, I understand, would have required "Made In Germany" stamped somewhere conspicuous for importation since around 1905 or so. If so, maybe for the UK? Canada? South Africa? or A/NZ market? Dunno, but perhaps someone here can shed light on it.

Register-Chimes-KeyScrews.jpg Pendo.jpg Dial.jpg Foreign.jpg Werk-front.jpg Werk-rear.jpg Case.jpg

27. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The word "Foreign" on the dial indicates that the clock was manufactured for import into the U.K.

Regards.

Betzel likes this.
  28. Betzel

Betzel Registered User

Dec 1, 2010
    Region Flag:
    OK, UK model it is. Damn the torpedoes! You have to be effin cool to have a cigar named after you!! :)

29. mjj1543

mjj1543 Registered User

Sep 20, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #1279 mjj1543, Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Hi there, think my movement is identical to yours, also dated by this forum as between 1891 and 1900. Picked mine up for a similar price from auction over here in the UK, £25. Other than the Junghans trademark there are no distinguishing marks on mine other than some servicing codes and dates inside the rear door. I posted a thread on my restoration of this clock on the repair forums about a month or so ago if interested.
    P1090273.JPG P1090276.JPG P1090278.JPG P1090279.JPG P1090280.JPG P1090282.JPG

30. mjj1543

mjj1543 Registered User

Sep 20, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #1280 mjj1543, Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Out of interest Royce, if you read this, i note that my movement is identical to yours with the exception of the brass lever/wire at the upper right hand side in your photo (reattached here) that is connected to the hammer. Mine is missing this addition but functions perfectly well. Any idea what it does? P1090220.JPG Similar movement Junghans-7.JPG 086.JPG

31. Royce

Royce Registered User

Oct 8, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is a spring wire that I assume assists in preventing double hammer strikes. I haven't begun with the servicing of the movement as of yet so I will see when I can get to it.

32. Royce

Royce Registered User

Oct 8, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nicely done!!

33. Antonio Damasio

Antonio Damasio Registered User

Jun 30, 2014
    Male
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Country Flag:
    Good night. My father was a watchmaker and I inherited some watches and clocks. In this case a Junghans movement that has inscribed behind 11/30 and W 52. I would like to know what clock it is and what date and its shape because I only have the movement. Thanks

20191103_120545-1.jpg 20191103_120552.jpg 20191103_120626-1.jpg 20191103_120712-1.jpg

34. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Antonio,

You have a very interesting Junghans movement.

Junghans was known to identify their movement models with a code that commenced with the letter "W" - abbreviated for "Werke". However, I do not believe that a "W 52" movement model has been shown on this board prior to your post.

Junghans also date coded their movements. Your movement has the following stamped onto it - "11.30". It is possible that this is a Junghans date code, but I believe that the person who has performed a great amount of research into Junghans (Victor Tang) has only documented the dating protocol "Month (dot) Year" (or in your case, 11.30) for a short period of time during the year of 1914. For example, he documented "2.14" for February, 1914. In addition, he documented movements made in 1930 with the following protocol - "30 2" for movements manufactured in the month of February, 1930. Note that there is no "dot" between the numbers, just an empty space and the year comes before the month.

To add to the confusion, Junghans purchased Hamburg American (HAC or HAU) in 1930. Although Junghans continued to use the HAC trademark (the crossed arrows trademark) Junghans also applied their trademark to HAC movements. However, I am not aware of a movement "52" that was designed by HAC.

So, at this point, it appears that your Junghans movement was a W52 movement made in November of 1930 and that such movement and such date code has not been previously shown on this board.

Unfortunately, all of this information does not indicate the type of case in which your movement would have resided.

I will further research your movement in an attempt to conclusively answer your questions. Perhaps others may have more information.

Regards.

35. Antonio Damasio

Jun 30, 2014
    Male
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Country Flag:
    #1285 Antonio Damasio, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2019
    Hello new2clocks good afternoon. Thanks for the information you gave me about the Junghans W 52 movement. I did some research and found a kitchen clock with this movement for sale. I will send you the link to check if it really is the same W52 I have. This one I saw has marked the year 31 but the movement is the same I think.

36. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1286 new2clocks, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2019
    Antonio,

I am not sure what is meant in the link as "Kienzle era", as Junghans and Kienzle never owned the other.

What the link does show is that Junghans produced a movement that the seller labels a W52 movement that was most likely in use, at least during the early 1930's.

The movement is very similar to your movement and I believe you can reasonably assume that your movement belongs in a small kitchen clock.

Regards.

37. Antonio Damasio

Jun 30, 2014
    Male
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Country Flag:
    new2clocks
    Thanks for the suggestion about W 52 from the link. Probably the case of my clock could be like this one from the link. I appreciate any information you find about this. I want to make a new case to get the clock running. Maybe I can use these images as a reference if I don't find any more.
    Regards

38. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Antonio,

The following are from Post number 661, above. They are some kitchen clocks from a 1931 Junghans catalog!

I do not know if they utilized your movement, but they give you some more ideas.

https://mb.nawcc.org/attachments/1931jhgbhac-pg000cover-jpg.138511/

https://mb.nawcc.org/attachments/1931jhgbhac-pg062-jpg.138512/

Regards.