Post your JUNGHANS clocks here

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by any400day, Dec 2, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. V_t

V_t Registered User

Mar 19, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry, i'm newbie. How can i buy those catalogues. Tks

2. V_t

V_t Registered User

Mar 19, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    here are some photos of my Junghans clock.
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

3. Walesey

Walesey Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 24, 2012
    High School Science Laboratory Assistant
    Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi V_t,
    out of interest, what makes you conclude that your clock is a Junghans clock? The "Crossed Arrows" trade mark would indicate that your clock was made by HAC (the Hamburg American Clock Company, of Wurttemburg, Germany.

To answer your question in your second last post, about clock catalogues, look for the author Tran Duy Ly, and Arlington Books. This link might help.

Cheers
    Walesey

4. UMRBlast

UMRBlast New Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hi Everyone. I am newly registered to this website but I have been reading the posts on this forum over the last couple of weeks with keen interest. I am posting my grandfather's dismembered Junghans mantle clock. Unfortunately as you can see in the photos, the clock is in need of significant repairs/restoration. I have no idea how old the clock is but I do know that it is from Turkey (where my family is from) and based on some research, I understand that the markings on the dial are from Ottoman clocks. This clock has significant sentimental value for me and as such I would like to repair it. Could anyone give me some sense for the age of the clock. Also, could anyone recommend somewhere where I could repair it within 100 km of Toronto? I would really appreciate any insight anyone has. Thanks.
    IMG_0897.JPG IMG_0910.JPG IMG_0905.JPG IMG_0903.JPG IMG_0902.JPG IMG_0901.JPG IMG_0900.JPG IMG_0899.JPG IMG_0898.JPG IMG_0896.JPG

5. daw2401

daw2401 New Member

May 22, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Hi All,

If anyone could give me any info on this clock, ie, model no, what chimes it plays, number manafactured etc, and any other info that people may have, as it was my parents who are no longer with us.

So far I have ascertained that it was made last half 1924, that is all. I intend on getting it restored as a memory to my parents. I am in Melbourne Australia. If there is any local restores also, please leave your contact details so I can call you re an quote for repair.

I do have a few other pics if required, however the ones attached should suffice....

I may be pushing it here, but does anyone know where I can download the black & white pictures/catalogues used by other members for research on my type & model as i wish to pass these onto the repairer to assist them....

Like always, thank you in advance! I love this site. Your assistance to people like me is in-valuable!

6. zyx123

zyx123 Registered User

Jun 18, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Hi Daw2401,

Your clock it called Kenilworth, 14 days time and strike.
    Here's a picture from a 1923 catalog.

Sharon

[​IMG]

7. daw2401

daw2401 New Member

May 22, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Thanks heaps xyz123 (sharon). Greatly appricated!

8. dadorfman

dadorfman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 7, 2017
    Henrico, VA
    Country Flag:
    Hello from Richmond, Virginia. I bought this gem from my local clock repair maven. Bell strike on hour and half-hour.

David

View attachment 345240

9. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    A small contribution to the Junghans thread. A 12" high cottage clock with ebony finish and a simple one-day movement.

View attachment 346733 View attachment 346734 View attachment 346735

The 8-pointed star on the movement and the label indicates that it was made 1890 or later.

View attachment 346736

I was mostly attracted by the tablet.

View attachment 346737

And, no, I don't know who the young lady was, but perhaps it's Gertrud Junghans, daughter of Arthur Junghans (or was it Erhard?), whose marriage to Ernst Kielmeyer occurred on the same day (April 27, 1901) the preliminary negotiations were completed for Junghans' purchase of the Gebrüder Resch factory in Ebensee. And thereby hangs a tale, which I'm sure you will all -er- "Remember." :chuckling:

10. Eurofighter

Eurofighter New Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Country Flag:
  11. macaw

macaw Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Minnesota
    I don't know if there is a model name for it, but it's a very nice pre-war tall case clock.

12. V_t

V_t Registered User

Mar 19, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  13. V_t

V_t Registered User

Mar 19, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    anybody help?

14. Walt Wallgren

Walt Wallgren Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Bay Area, California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not much help here. Junghans, as a company, is still around. In their newest catalogue I saw maybe 2 or 4 clocks the rest was totally watches.

That looks to be a later production. My guess would be after WWII. This is only a guess but I would say no earlier than the mid 30's. It is really hard to tell without being there. It just doesn't look that old.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Walt

15. V_t

V_t Registered User

Mar 19, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Walt :)

16. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This style, called "second baroque" or Louis XV was popular between 1895 - 1915. Similar cases from Junghans 1910 catalog for French market. Your case, dial and hands (especially hands) could be made by local French maker, too.
    View attachment 349290 View attachment 349291

17. chronologiker

chronologiker Registered User

Jun 28, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Please look at Junghans-logo at the the backside of the movement. Are there any numbers and the letter A or B? These numbers/letters will give you the year when this clock was made.

But I agree with Tarant: Most likely about 1900. And this is a high-quality Junghans!

Chronologiker

18. V_t

V_t Registered User

Mar 19, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for your response. Its price is around $1300 and I will buy it :)

19. chronologiker

chronologiker Registered User

Jun 28, 2017
    Country Flag:
    We are not allowed to discuss values here, but I think the price is extremly high!

Chronologiker

20. Paul John Purnell

Paul John Purnell New Member

Jul 23, 2017
    #1120 Paul John Purnell, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Here's mine .....

View attachment 351042

Please look me up on YouTube ... To see my first-ever Uploads .....
    Junghans Mantel Clock - Gong Rod Replacement and Tuning

I explain the reasons why I had to make this repair ... And, I hope that someone might find some information of use to them on there ......

Paul.

21. Marike77

Marike77 New Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Country Flag:
  22. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Marike,

Welcome to the board!

If I recall correctly, Junghans dated coded their movements. Through the 1930's (:???:) they used a letter and two digit number. For example, A 30 would indicate that the clock was manufactured in the first half of the year 1930. B 30 would indicate that the clock was manufactured during the second half of 1930. At some later date, Junghans date coded with numbers only. For example, 5 38 would indicate the clock was made in May of 1938.

Can you find any such coding on the movement?

Regards.

23. Marike77

Marike77 New Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for your reply, we've searched the entire movement but have not managed to find a date code, besides the junhans logo there is a letter F and on the other side a letter S.

Hopes this helps

Regards,

24. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1124 tarant, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  25. Marike77

Marike77 New Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for your information. This helps a lot! Ours is indeed an alarm clock. So no code, just the eight point star with the J and unghans in it. I would like to date the clock as narrow as possible. Perhaps you can help me some more? Do you know when they stopped making the fluela line? We found a really similar one that is said to be from the thirties. Also ours has no roman numerals. If you have some more information on my clock, i would really appreciate it! Thank you very much.

26. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The last catalogue where I've found Fuela is from the year 1905. Eight point star was introduced in the year 1890. Dials like in Your clock (porcellain, without alarm clock setting and second hands) appeared in catalogue 1901. So, Your clock was made probably between 1901 - 1905.

27. Marike77

Marike77 New Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thank you very much for all your help!

regards, marike

28. skinnb1

skinnb1 Registered User

Oct 4, 2015
    Country Flag:
  29. eyala

eyala New Member

May 2, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hi,
    I'm looking for some help restoring an old Junghans wall clock. It is from 1911 (B11 on back). The case is in bad condition. The movement works perfectly, after replacing the suspension spring.

A few questions:
    1. Can anyone help identify the model name? I'm looking for the 1911 Junghans catalog, with no luck so far.
    2. Shoud I clean the movement parts? It works, but it is dusty, and has a bit of rust in one spot. If so, what methods should I use to clean it? I suppose taking it apart for cleaning is not a good idea.
    3. The case is in bad shape - it is missing the crown, finials, half of the beard and a few door decorations. I've seen some replacement parts on ebay. Should I use them? Will it effect the value of the clock?
    4. How should I restore the wood? should I renew the varnish, use wood oil, or non at all?

Thanks in advancem Eyal.

Attached are pictures of the case, movement and pendulum.
    View attachment 355400 View attachment 355399 View attachment 355398 View attachment 355397 View attachment 355401

One picture is from an internet search that looks like my clock (look at the door decorations) - it might be helpful in identifying the model name.
    View attachment 355396

30. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Three different models (1910). There were other crowns too. How many? Only Junghans knows.
    View attachment 355410

31. eyala

eyala New Member

May 2, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Piotr thank you very much!

32. Facsi

Facsi New Member

Sep 9, 2017
    Country Flag:
    [video=youtube;1YBmLILSwSQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YBmLILSwSQ[/video]

Can anyone help me identify this clock? The wooden case has been destroyed by thermite and has been substituted. It lost any possible marks identifying it. Also, as the case has been changed, I dont know if it is like the original. I have never seen this model on the internet. Which makes me think: Would junghans sell the mechanic clock and other companies create their own wooden box and place the mechanic part inside it?

Also, does anyone know how to make that gold color shine again? which product should I use on it?

33. Barnabas

Barnabas New Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Found this watch, where I work. The box is full of wormholes and the glass is broken, but the timepiece works :)
    It is stamped A07 so I guess it's from the beginning of 1907.
    I would like to mend the clock, but am not sure I can save it, would it be blasphemous to use the hardware in a new clock?

I would like if someone has some info on this clock :)

View attachment 356739 View attachment 356740