Post your JUNGHANS clocks here

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by any400day, Dec 2, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cookie 2006

Cookie 2006 Registered User

Oct 19, 2010
    Power Tool Engineer
    Gloucester
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello I have just finished the restoration on this junghans clock I got from a car boot about 18 months ago for £20.00
    it was in a bit of a mess (Very dirty and not running) but what struck me was the unusual set-up on the ting tang chime bars
    As you can see from the pics there is a small pin connecting the rods to what appears to be a speaker
    I have never seen this on a clock before and it sounds fabulous when it strikes

Regards

P1010661.jpg P1010662.jpg P1010663.jpg P1010665.jpg P1010666.jpg P1010668.jpg P1010669.jpg P1010670.jpg P1010671.jpg

2. soaringjoy

soaringjoy Registered User

Feb 12, 2009
    Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The "Membran Gong" was intended to enchance the sound of relatively
    short gong rods in smaller cases. Yes, it's a kind of loudspeaker and a wire
    connects to the gong mount. It was first patented in Germany in 1950 with a
    US patent follow-up in 1957.
    The W 248 movement was built from ca.1950 to ca. 1962 and your clock should be
    late 1950s.

JHPat-US.jpg

3. binman

binman Registered User

Nov 16, 2011
    Retired formerly a carpenter then a site manager f
    Chatham England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is one of mine ting tang B11 on the plate

Attached Files:

4. binman

binman Registered User

Nov 16, 2011
    Retired formerly a carpenter then a site manager f
    Chatham England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is another, no idea of date.

Attached Files:

5. Cookie 2006

Cookie 2006 Registered User

Oct 19, 2010
    Power Tool Engineer
    Gloucester
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for that, I have done no research on this clock to date, Just a lot of work (Now keeps near perfect time)

Thanks again for the info

6. alison_from_glenview

Jul 16, 2012
    clock-junghans-wall-delft-face-sm.JPG

Hello, I am a complete novice so please pardon my ignorance. I just bought this charming Junghans kitchen wallclock with a ceramic delft face and a white-painted wooden housing at a garage sale. I paid next to nothing for it. Somehow its key survived along with it, sticking out of the face. Yes it has "been in the wars" as my mother used to say, the face has been broken all the way across and repaired at some point in its history. However, I wound it carefully and started the pendulum, and it is going like a champ and keeping excellent time, so I am delighted with my 'find.' I don't care about the value, I just appreciate something that has endured so much and is still working!

I couldn't take a picture of the movement without taking the back off, which I am reluctant to do. Sorry. Please tell me if I should do this to reveal something that you want to know.

Would love to know anything anyone can tell me about it. Specially a rough date - I am thinking 1920's or 30's? There is a great 'art deco' feel to the numerals and hands. I don't think it chimes - at least, it hasn't yet.

Many thanks for taking an interest in my new friend.

7. ClockFanatic

ClockFanatic Registered User

Dec 20, 2011
    PhD Student
    Birmingham, United Kingdom
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice little one. The colour still looks good. but sadly it got crack. The clock is time only as only has 1 train (winding spring), so it won't chime or strike. Junghans clock normally has serial number at the back of the movement for the dating purpose. But some don't have it. Nice find.:)

8. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the Board, Alison.
    Yes indeed, Delft tile styles fit into every kitchen. :)
    Your clock may well be late 1920ishes, we will have to thumb through a few catalogues.
    Might take a while, so be patient, please.

9. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I found a kitchen clock that comes very close to yours from a
    1932 Gustav Becker catalogue. By that time, Junghans had taken over
    that company and the produced models were very similar to each other.

Delft kitchen clocks were made over long periods of time, but the styles around
    WW 1 were different. So, I would reinstate, your clock may be late 1920s.

GB 1932 011.jpg

10. alison_from_glenview

Jul 16, 2012
    Thank you Jurgen! That does look like the same face & tile, the hands only a bit different. I appreciate your research! It is ticking away as I write.
    Alison

11. any400day

any400day Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Singapore
    Country Flag:
    Alison,

Your clock is listed in the 1931 Junghans catalogue as "Melone" Model No. 70/134. The hands and pendulum are a little different.

Vic

Attached Files:

12. zyx123

zyx123 Registered User

Jun 18, 2011
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi,
    I am posting two of my Junghans wall clocks:
    An office clock I believe it is an "Ural" from 1925, movement is marked with B52. The second is a box clock, it's movement is marked B25 (also 1925?)
    can someone help me find more info on them?

Thanks
    Sharon

Junghans Ural.jpg DSC02947.jpg DSC02943.jpg DSC02958.jpg

DSC_0159.jpg DSC_0165.jpg J_B25_front.jpg J_B25_rear.jpg

13. Walesey

Walesey Registered User

May 24, 2012
    High School Science Laboratory Assistant
    Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My dear old "Grandmother Clock" stopped last night. It has been in the family for longer than I have. More than 55 years! It was given to my Grandpa as a "Retirement gift" before I was born.

The positive side of the story is that now that it has stopped, I feel at liberty to pull it apart, clean and oil it, and post some photos here.

It is a Junghans. Originally it was given to Grandpa as a Wall Clock, but he preferred a floor clock, so Dad got a cabinet maker friend of his to make a case for it. It has been our family "Grandmother Clock" ever since, and I have owned it for about 10 years.

100_2765.jpg 100_2772.jpg 100_2768.jpg 100_2766.jpg 100_2769.jpg 100_2779.jpg 100_2778.jpg

The clock has the Junghans Star Logo on the back plate with the number W.248 and below it 53.2. At the top of the back plate are the numbers 94/24, and below that, 475.

I thought that the 53.2 might have been the pendulum length, but from the top of the suspension spring to the center of mass of the pendulum is only 40cm. it has (had!) a beat rate of about 94 bpm.

Cheers
    Walesey

14. Mr Smith

Mr Smith Registered User

Apr 22, 2011
    Region Flag:
    IMHO the 53.2 is the date of manufacturing: February 1953.

15. any400day

Aug 26, 2000
    Singapore
    Country Flag:
    Hello Walesey,

Your clock is listed in the 1953 Junghans catalogue as Model 20/0052 RHÖN I

The movement is the Werke 248. “94” is the beats per minute, “24” is the number of escape wheel teeth and “475” would be the pendulum length in mm. (measured from point of suspension, including suspension spring to the tip of the pendulum threaded adjustment rod.)

Date of manufacture is February 1953 as indicated by the “53 2”. (there is no dot between the 53 and 2, only a space, plate is perforated which looks like a dot) Would appreciate if you could confirm the number of teeth on escape wheel and the pendulum length.

Vic

Attached Files:

16. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #666 soaringjoy, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
    Thanks for posting, Walesey.
    Vic has already given you the details at their best.
    I must admit, I have seen Comtoise and Black Forest clocks in tall cases, but never, ever,
    a converted 1950s wall clock. :)
    The clocks of that time were very often a so called Gelsenkirchener Barock (Baroque), going
    along with the popular furniture styles.
    This link explains it much better than I can:
    http://www.geschichte.nrw.de/artikel.php?artikel[id]=259&lkz=de
    It's a part of a North Rhine - Westphalia history chronicle and it's in English.
    (Copy & paste for the link to work)

17. Walesey

Walesey Registered User

May 24, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Vic,
    That is great information! Yes, the beat count is 94, both by calculation from the wheel tooth count and by measurement with a stop watch. The EW does have 24 teeth. In fact, Teeth : Pinion count for the three wheels are, EW 24 : 7, 3rd W 72 : 7, and CW 80 : 9, which calculates out at 94.04 bpm.

The clock is all back in its case now and a bit hard to measure the pendulum length that you are after. I will measure it when I have it out again next week. From the measurements that I did take when it was out, I can estimate that the pendulum would have been approximately 47cm, so 47.5 is probably right (as would be confirmed by having the correct beat count!)

I measured the pendulum from the top of the suspension spring to the centre of mass of the pendulum, to be 40cm, which is close to the theoretical length of 40.5cm for that beat count. So, it all seems to be working out pretty well. Now, I just have to get the old girl going again!

Thanks again for your information Vic.

Soaringjoy,
    I tried that link. It had a heap of information, but I did not find the information about Junghans wall clocks. Can you guide me a bit more specifically?

cheers
    Walesey

18. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The whole line of the link should be shown in blue, but somehow it does not work.
    If you copy and paste (including [id]=259&lkz=de) you get the correct page.
    It is not about Junghans, but rather about the styles of your clock case becoming more or
    less obsolete by 1954.

19. Walesey

Walesey Registered User

May 24, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Soaringjoy,
    I got it that time, but had to change the "de"on the end to "en" to get it in English.

I suppose that changes in fashions in Europe probably take a couple of years to filter down the the "Antipodes" in Australia, and I guess my Grandpa would have been 65 when he was presented with the clock, and so even more resistant to changes in fashion than if he had been younger, so I guess he would have enjoyed it in its "Art Nouveau/Art Deco" case for the couple of years that he had it. He died at 67, two years before I was born, so I have only ever known the clock in its current case.

I wonder what furniture/clock styles replaced the Art Deco style? I seem to remember "Style" going out the window in the 60's and 70's (or am I being too harsh?)

Cheers
    Walesey

20. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Walesey, it would be far too big a subject to be handled here on the
    Junghans thread, which is dedicated to JH clocks only.
    I suggest you open a new thread on post Art-Deco clock styles for discussing.

21. Daverk

Daverk Registered User

Aug 15, 2012
    Hereford, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, this is a marvellous site.

We have a Junghans wall clock, handed down from wife's grandmother, so could well have been purchased just post-WW1, and in fact the code on the rear of the movement is A21, so that would make it manufactured 1st half 1921, so that all stacks up. I have got it going again, reset the striker to 3mm clearance so it dongs properly, discovered the friction fit of the hour hand etc, and it keeps good time. Pics below, distinguishing features:
    • looks like mahogany, looks like wooden decoration missing from top of case.
    • door has round window for round clock
    • 2 keyholes
    • rectangular wooden access panels each side
    • I assume it's 8 day, it dongs once on every half hour and the correct number of hours on the hour.
    • as well as A21 on the back of the movement below the 8-pointed star, it has '135' stamped top left on the back of the movement
    • original (wooden!) match box contains two mystery brackets each with 2 small steel woodscrews. No small screwholes on the case internally, so any ideas??

A few questions, then:
    1. It would be great to know the Model name for posterity, doubt we would ever sell it...
    2. Is it possible to overwind these? (Have been cautious so far)
    3. Can the striker be stopped easily to silence overnight chiming (wife says her mother used to stop it somehow - probably bent something or stuffed a cloth in it!)
    4. Any idea what the 2 mystery brackets are?
    5. what's the best thing to clean the face with? (it has some slight scratching, presumably from moving the minute hand, I don't want to make that worse)

Many thanks.....

Attached Files:

22. Jay

Jay Registered User

Dec 12, 2007
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #672 Jay, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
    The match box contains wall levelers that would level the clock to the wall. They go on each side of the back of the clock on the outside. I looked again and those may be seat board screws to hold the movement to the sliding seat board??
    Neat clock.

23. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, Dave, welcome to the message board. The mystery brackets are wall stabilizers. If you look at the back of the clock, you should see the screw holes they were fitted to, near the bottom of the case. They make little pin pricks in the wall to keep the clock from moving when you open the door.
    You cannot overwind the clock, except by using too much force when it's fully wound.
    The only way I can think of to silence the strike at night would be to slightly move the movement, sliding it on it's mounting bracket, to get the hammer to miss the gong. Anything else would put the countwheel for the strike out of sync to the time, needing resetting every morning.
    I would leave the face alone, it's in better shape than many I've seen where cleaning has proved to be counterproductive.

24. Daverk

Daverk Registered User

Aug 15, 2012
    Hereford, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks both Jay and Harold. Yes, the brackets must be wall stabilisers - but there are no screwholes on the back of the case, and the screws have perfect slots, so they must be 91 year old parts which were never used and which are brand new! I like the neat idea of pulling the whole movement forward to disengage the hammer - it's all so well engineered that it does slide quite easily.

I think it's going just slightly slow, losing perhaps a minute per day. To speed it up, should I be dropping the pendulum a little, or raising it?

If anyone knows what the Model Name is for this 1921 clock, that would be really good.

25. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    To make it faster, raise the pendulum. Start with half a turn on the rating nut under the pendulum.

26. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the MB, Dave.
    This is frustrating, because neither my 1913 nor my 1923 JH catalogues show
    exactly your case model. Especially the smaller box clocks were changed in details
    periodically.
    The movement is a standard and rugged model No. 74 and it's a 14 day type.
    The missing ornament would have been very close to one of these:

HAU11.jpg HAU17.jpg HAU22.jpg

These are HAU clocks, but both companies were located in Schramberg and probably had
    the same suppliers for the tidbits.

Cleaning up the dial can be done - sometimes.
    But you have to have heaps of experience, knowing exactly what you're doing and most important
    of all: You only have one chance...
    I agree with Harold, leave it.

27. Daverk

Daverk Registered User

Aug 15, 2012
    Hereford, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for looking, soaringjoy. I won't touch the face!

28. any400day

Aug 26, 2000
    Singapore
    Country Flag:
    Dave,

I am attaching a 1920 Junghans catalogue scan which has a clock like yours. It is listed as a 14 day clock and comes in either Walnut or Oak.

Vic

Attached Files:

29. Daverk

Daverk Registered User

Aug 15, 2012
    Hereford, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Vic, that is superb. Ours is therefore a Model 23/4 from 1921.

30. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bravo Vic, kudos and all!

31. Walesey

Walesey Registered User

May 24, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry to be a little slow in getting back to you with the answer to your questions, Vic. Your numbers seem to be spot on for BPM and EW teeth. My pendulum is just a couple of mm short of the value suggested on the back of the clock. (The number on the clock is 475, but I measure 473mm for my pendulum.) I guess there might be any number of explanations for that. The threaded rod was a little loose in the pendulum rod, so I tightened it in. maybe further than it was originally?
    It is interesting that all that information is readily available on the back of the clock, whereas other movements I have do not even have as much as a manufacturers name or logo! Kudos to Junghans!

Cheers
    Walesey

32. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Vic, that is great so much information you have on clocks, it,s much apreciated.
    The two Junghans wall clocks weight driven that you have shown.Do you know how much the weights weigh on these clocks.I have a urgos and i tried 3 pounds but i think a little more weight would be better.

33. Walesey

Walesey Registered User

May 24, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kevin,
    Both my weights feel about the same. I took one into work and weighed it on the electronic balance. It came out as 2003g, which is a bit under 4 1/2 lbs. If they are similar mechanisms, then perhaps another pound or so might be better

Cheers

Walesey

34. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Walsey, i tried 3 pounds and very little pendulum swing, added another half pound and big improvement, think i will go for 4 pounds if i can find one.Perrins has a ogee weight and they state it is 4 pounds.
    An electonic scale is one thing i do need.

35. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Guess it's about time to put this odd little wall clock up on the Junghans thread.

Only thing is, it's an ODO, Made in France, so the dial says.
    The movement is also stamped ODO.
    Case is birch wood veneered, with a darker staining around the edges. The applications
    are gold colored wood carvings.

Well, long story short, it's very obviously a Junghans movement, a W 277 with a
    9/47 date code. Dial, hands, pendulum hook-up are all well known JH style.

ODO (11).JPG ODO (10).JPG ODO X (3).JPG ODO X (2).JPG ODO (4).JPG ODO (6).JPG

What happened here?
    After WW 2, parts of the Black Forest region were French occupation zone and after
    the French reparated, Junghans was allowed to produce clocks solely for France and
    French makers.
    The light colored case, the design and perhaps most of all the door hinges - Made in Sweden -
    suggest the clock was intended for the Scandanavian market.

After restoration, the clock hung in my favorite restaurant for a month or two, and now
    it's going "home" to the Black Forest.
    The new address is Deutsches Uhrenmuseum Furtwangen; they consider the clock to be of
    particular historical value.
    I admit, I like that thought. :D

36. MOREZ

MOREZ Registered User

Aug 25, 2012
    DRIVER
    VILAFANT CATALONIA
    Region Flag:
    #686 MOREZ, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2012
    HELLO, my only JUNGHANS iu008n.jpg iu009.jpg iu011.jpg

37. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Morez. The back of the movement may give us clues to the production date.

38. MOREZ

MOREZ Registered User

Aug 25, 2012
    DRIVER
    VILAFANT CATALONIA
    Region Flag:
    hello thank you very much soaringjoy p007v.jpg

39. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe, your clock is +/- 1900; they started with a date coding
    on the movements in 1901, as far as has been recorded and changed your
    movement type in minor details around that time period.

40. MOREZ

MOREZ Registered User

Aug 25, 2012
    DRIVER
    VILAFANT CATALONIA
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the information, greetings:)

41. fskc

fskc New Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Bookkeeper
    Hanford
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi there, I am new to this site. My grandmother just gave me her Junghans clock and she knows nothing about it. I do know it a B13. Can anyone tell me where I can find replacement hands? I want to make sure I get the correct fit. I also would like to know the approx. value. Thanks!
    DSC02925.jpg DSC02929.jpg DSC02931.jpg DSC02933.jpg

42. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    B13 means second half of 1913, we cannot discuss values here. Try Time-Savers in AZ for spare hands.

43. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the Message Board.

Your clock is a Bracket Clock with a 4/4 Westminster chime, followed by a strike on the hours.
    The movement you have is a sturdy and reliable one, from the second half of 1913, as already stated.

We have a new valuation section on the MB, where you can get opinions on the clocks possible value:

https://mb.nawcc.org/forumdisplay.php?308-What-is-this-clock-worth

This service is free for NAWCC members and costs a small submission fee for non-members.

It would help though, if you could post your country's flag (edit your User Profile). Then we are able
    to answer according somewhat to your regional or national market situations.

44. fskc

fskc New Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Bookkeeper
    Hanford
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you so much for all your information. From what little research I've done, it seams that this clock housing is a little unusual. Is that true? I've only found one other so far. Most of the housing's I've seen open only at the arch where this clock's entire front is the door.

45. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    They had quite a variety of these clocks in their program, so, no, nothing
    very unusual there.
    Here's a clip from a 1911 JH catalogue.

Attached Files:

46. fskc

fskc New Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Bookkeeper
    Hanford
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Do you have a picture of the back opened? Suddenly my chimes sound off key and the housing vibrates when it chimes. I'm wondering if the rods are hanging at the wrong angle or if there is something else going on. The clock hasn't ran in many years only because my Grandmother couldn't reach it to wind it. It seems like the day I brought it home it sounded alot better than it does today, I've only had it a few weeks.

47. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sounds as if the gong mounting bracket is loose.
    Check the screws at the back of the case and tighten them.
    If that doesn't help, I suggest you post your problem in the Clock Repair Forum.

48. multibit

multibit Registered User

Sep 12, 2011
    Country Flag:
    #698 multibit, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2012
    I found this today whilst browsing around an antiques fair, all I could see was J unghans on the face. Theres some info online for Junghans although I'm not sure how hold this one is.

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

49. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #699 jmclaugh, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2012
    It is reminiscent of an American shelf clock and is probably late 19th to very early 20th C. Many Junghans clocks have a date mark on the movement in the format A or B and two numbers, the former denotes the first or second half of the year, the latter the year it was made.

50. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #700 soaringjoy, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
    The clock is not before 1890; it's the model "Fein" (fine as in spick & span, neat)
    No. 1846, as listed in a 1894 JH catalogue.

Attached Files: