Post your Interesting PENDULUMS AND BOBS

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I thought my Mauthe pendulum was one of a kind until today, when the same pendulum showed up on ebay from a German seller of a Mauthe clock.

Anyway, I thought a thread of pendulums and bobs might be interestung.

To start, here is my Mauthe pendulum.

(I've wondered if the swan motif was with reference to Mad King Ludwig of Bavaria and his Neuschwanstein Castle.)

Regards. 72995.jpg 72996.jpg 72997.jpg 72998.jpg

jacks61fd

Jul 2, 2002
Ocala Florida
home.rr.com
Country
Region
#1 Gilbert Cut Glass from Amphion
#2 Gilbert Portrait pendulum
#3 Gilbert Portrait pendulum
#$ Gilbert engraved "Butterfly" pendulum
#5 Seth Thomas embossed pendulum from early Reg. #1 52262.jpg 73014.jpg 68723.jpg 73016.jpg 73017.jpg

Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
Country
Region
Here are a couple of mine.

1. Ansonia Antique hanging.
2. Ansonia Brooklyn brass wall clock.
3. Junghans Swinger single rod pendulum.
4. Ansonia bob for Crystal Palace.
5. Welch small pendulum bob
Enjoy 42708.jpg 73042.jpg 73045.jpg 73046.jpg 73047.jpg

jacks61fd

Jul 2, 2002
Ocala Florida
home.rr.com
Country
Region
A few more
#1 George A. Jones Parlor clock pendulum - notice the S- slow, F- fast rather then R- retard A- advance found on European clocks.

#2 H.J. Davies Parlor clock pendulum with mirrored glass center.

#3 Close up of Dolphins on Davies pend, square rod used on Jones and Davies clocks.

#4 Ansonia Cut Glass pendulum, notice the difference from the Gilbert cut glass pendulum shown in my previous thread - the Gilbert has only one line through the center of the diamonds, Ansonia has multiple sprigs through diamond shape. - wrong rod - rod with oval top is for a Gilbert clock. 30813.jpg 73115.jpg 73116.jpg 52261.jpg

Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Jan 12, 2001
Colorado Springs, CO.
Country
Region
Jack I have always liked the 4th pendulum that you have pictured. I have one like it in my parts and do not have the clock, but always wanted to re unite the pendulum with the proper clock. Mike

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Here's a rare George P Reed's, of watchmaking fame, rare form of pendulum.

It's about 6" in diameter.

Ralph 73119.jpg 73120.jpg 73121.jpg 73122.jpg 73123.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Bernhard J.

zepernick

Deceased
Aug 8, 2004
Country
Region
Good topic New2!

Some of the German bobs did have cultural or historical references. Past, that is, the more common references to, say, Chronos or one of Diana's attendants with a hunting horn. The bob below with the castle, from a Bernhard Paschen clock, shows Lichtenstein.

A March 1992 CLOCKS article noted that "the castle had been built in 1840-41 over earlier foundations stemming from the 14th century, following the enormous popularity of a historical romance, Lichtenstein (1826), written by Wilhelm Hauff. This novel, set in the 16th century (and a direct imitation of the works of Sir Walter Scott) so fascinated the then Duke Wilhelm von Urach (aka Count Wilhelm von Württemberg) that he had the present castle built in 'fairytale' style, and equipped as if the knights of 1519 were going to ride in any day. The castle is still a popular tourist attraction....

The ornate ones like your Mauthe do add a lot. Whether individual clock manufacturers made them themselves, or had them made on an exclusive basis, or bought them from suppliers, or -- most likely -- it was "all of the above," hasn't as far as I know been studied.

The second illustration for instance shows one on a clock in a Gordian Hettich Sohn catalogue from around 1905. Yet the same catalogue has some clocks we know were made by other firms. And a pressed bob I have shows up in the catalogues of three different firms.

Yet they do pep up even a simple clock. The last (below) was on an inexpensive wall clock with the small Schotten wood-plate movement. When I first saw it I assumed it would be of cheap stamped brass. But when closer saw that it was cast, and well done at that.

Zep 73124.jpg 73125.jpg 73126.jpg 73127.jpg

Reactions: Tatyana

jacks61fd

Jul 2, 2002
Ocala Florida
home.rr.com
Country
Region
Mike
The Ansonia glass pendulum should have 2 pressed brass pieces, one above the pendulum disc and one below like the one Don shows from his Brooklyn wall clock. I believe that they are similar but not exactly the same. The Gilbert has the pressed leaf design above the pendulum disc.

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
First, the ever popular "time flies" motif. From a wall clock attributed to LFS. The clock, I'm still taking my time restoring. It is large and bulky, I'm undecided if, and/or how, I will repair some missing oak chunks and small applied ornaments. The movement is an 8-day wood plate BF movement. The gong is large, and sounds like a bass piano string when struck. The weights are not pictured, they are fancy.

The second is a large 18th c. "mural clock". This clock originates from Malta. It has had it's original weight driven movement replaced with an English single fusee movement (turn of the 20th c.). The "Chinese laquer" finish is still original. The hands are not pictured. 73134.jpg 73135.jpg 73136.jpg 73137.jpg

zepernick

Deceased
Aug 8, 2004
Country
Region
Chris Radano;497213 said:
From a wall clock attributed to LFS. The clock, I'm still taking my time restoring. It is large and bulky, I'm undecided if, and/or how, I will repair some missing oak chunks and small applied ornaments. The movement is an 8-day wood plate BF movement.
Chris --

Have you had photos of the movement on the MB before? They made a so-called "small" 8-day wood-plate movement. The normal if never normed 8-day BF wood-platers had a frame height of around 20cm. The "kleine" had a frame height of around 13cm.

Zep

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
Chris,

I'd heard of Maltese clocks but had decided they were mythological creatures. So they really do exist!

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Zep- Yes, I have posted photos of the movement here before, in the case. Here are a couple more...time, and strike views. The total H of the movement plates IS 13 cm (just under 7 1/4").

Jeremy- I did not know that it was a "mural clock" from Malta when I acquired the clock. I thought maybe English, some sort of unusual tavern clock. 73195.jpg 73196.jpg 73197.jpg

Oled

Dec 8, 2009
Moscow, Russia
Country
Region
Hello Colleagues!

Here's one of Mauthe's pressed brass Arts&Crafts pendulums. It represents the Knight the Swan motif of an early German fairytale. I adore these clocks!

BR,
Oleg 53618.jpg 53615.jpg 73228.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Here is an interesting bob from my Gilbert Occidental.

Steven, is it possible to have this thread as a sticky?

Regards. 69040.jpg

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
new2clocks;499762 said:

Regards.
I have added a link to the sticky at the top of this forum.

Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
SoCal.
Country
Region
E. Howard #5 Banjo Bob, hard to find in this condition. Any polishing will remove the laquer and the fine etching. 74121.jpg

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
new2clocks;499762 said:

Regards.
You know, that pendulum bob looks very much like an Ingraham bob. Maybe a switcheroo?

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
My Nicholas Muller's Sons pattern #213 pendulum. The clock has been discussed before. 74177.jpg 74178.jpg

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Some Welch pendulum bobs - clocks also discussed elsewhere.

The chandelier pendulum is from the Daisy; the one with the "initials" from the Parisian; the glass sandwich pendulum from the Dolaro.

Daisy Pendulum.JPG Parisian pendulum.jpg Dolaro Pendulum.jpg

Last edited:

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
new2clocks;500265 said:
Steven / Inbeat,

What would the proper Gilbert bob look like?

Regards.
Difficult to say, since pendulum styles were a kind of mix and match. Given that it is the Occidental, possibly it had a Jacot style pendulum similar to those in this thread (however, a Gilbert is not shown there).

It might also be like the one in the clock pictured on the left, which is a Gilbert Peto, or a barrel pendulum shown in the clock on the right (which is actually a George Owen clock, the Metis, but I believe Owen used the same style barrel pendulum as Gilbert, particularly given his association with Gilbert).

Peto 002.jpg Metis 001.jpg

Last edited:

Oled

Dec 8, 2009
Moscow, Russia
Country
Region
Hello Colleagues,

This one from a German 1880-s clocks and it has a gilded picture of an owl.

BR,
Oleg 74283.jpg 74284.jpg

ClocksCollector

Aug 14, 2005
This is my unusual pendulum. It is stamped: William E. Servis and it belongs to an E. N. Welch parlor clock. Any ideas as to what the name means or can anyone identify the name of the clock? Best regards 74934.jpg 74935.jpg

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
ClocksCollector;502618 said:
This is my unusual pendulum. It is stamped: William E. Servis and it belongs to an E. N. Welch parlor clock. Any ideas as to what the name means or can anyone identify the name of the clock? Best regards
Interesting pendulum. I wonder whether the name is that of a retailer for whom Welch specially made the pendulum, possibly the clock. Is the clock labeled, by chance? Not having access to Tran's Welch book, I have no ready reference myself.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Tran's Welch book shows neither the clock nor the pendulum. Welch did sell movements to other clockmakers, such as Kroeber and Muller. Spittlers' and Bailey's have nothing on Servis.
Is there a label anywhere on the case?

ClocksCollector

Aug 14, 2005
No lable or a trace of one. The movement is marked E N Welch. The clock looks to be original. A Google search for William E Servis turns up nothing.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
harold bain;502624 said:
Tran's Welch book shows neither the clock nor the pendulum. Welch did sell movements to other clockmakers, such as Kroeber and Muller. Spittlers' and Bailey's have nothing on Servis.
Is there a label anywhere on the case?
In any event, the pendulum has a definite Welch look to it.

Which makes me ask, a propos of nothing,: Did the manufacturers, such as Welch, New Haven, etc., make their own pendulums in house or have them made to order externally? One of many gaps in my horo-knowledge.

inbeat

NAWCC Member
Nov 10, 2000
Portland, Oregon
Country
Region
The name sounds very familiar but I cannot place it....As Steven said, it was most likely made for a company...We know that Welch made clocks for "Colby Wringer", both as a hanging and shelf model...the pendulums indicated Colby Wringer....and also made the "Lakeside" model for Baird and Dillon...and the Pendulum is marked with a B and D....that pendulum is similar to yours and again, as Steven pointed out, the pendulum most assuredly looks like a Welch.

Jim Borges

Aug 30, 2010
Sun City, AZ
Country
Region
This is one I was using on a Mantle clock. It was not part of the original clock but it works there. I do not know where it really belongs. Jim 74967.jpg

jboger

Jan 7, 2019
Country
Here I post some pictures of pendula that I have collected over the years. I had originally posted this under the Wood Clock Forum because rightly or wrongly I associate these pendula with U.S. wood works clocks of the 1830s.

I so far have found three types. The top one is the fanciest of this sort of pendulum, which are all plain compared to so many illustrated on this forum. The next type is composed of concentric circles. And the third type has a spiral design. Note that in two examples, spirals are clockwise and others are counterclockwise. Actually there is a fourth type I have, which is simply a plain (no design) thin sheet of brass over a lead backing. They are all 2 to three inches (50 to 75 mm) in diameter.

I believe these pendula are struck from dies although exactly how I don't know.

Although these pendula are rather plain compared, say, with those fancy ones associated with later shelf clocks like the gingerbread clocks, I do find that they are an identifiable group, that is, they all have similar characteristics that identify them as a group and put them in a time slot. I'd be interested in seeing pictures of other examples. I know they are not as attractive as later ones, but I find them interesting, partly I think because of their age.

John

IMG_2923.jpg IMG_2924.jpg IMG_2926.jpg

Reactions: PatH

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country
Here I post some pictures of pendula that I have collected over the years. I had originally posted this under the Wood Clock Forum because rightly or wrongly I associate these pendula with U.S. wood works clocks of the 1830s.

I so far have found three types. The top one is the fanciest of this sort of pendulum, which are all plain compared to so many illustrated on this forum. The next type is composed of concentric circles. And the third type has a spiral design. Note that in two examples, spirals are clockwise and others are counterclockwise. Actually there is a fourth type I have, which is simply a plain (no design) thin sheet of brass over a lead backing. They are all 2 to three inches (50 to 75 mm) in diameter.

I believe these pendula are struck from dies although exactly how I don't know.

Although these pendula are rather plain compared, say, with those fancy ones associated with later shelf clocks like the gingerbread clocks, I do find that they are an identifiable group, that is, they all have similar characteristics that identify them as a group and put them in a time slot. I'd be interested in seeing pictures of other examples. I know they are not as attractive as later ones, but I find them interesting, partly I think because of their age.

John

View attachment 715534 View attachment 715535 View attachment 715536
hahaha i was going through a few that were in a box that my dad had over 30 years ago, and one is actually a fishing weight, yet looks just like an actual clock bob. That begs the question, what came first, the fishing weight or the bob?

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
hahaha i was going through a few that were in a box that my dad had over 30 years ago, and one is actually a fishing weight, yet looks just like an actual clock bob. That begs the question, what came first, the fishing weight or the bob?
Clocks date to around the 14th century, but fishing is far, far older than that. There were weights used to keep fishing nets down under water for many millennia.

Tatyana

Jan 2, 2016
Saint Petersburg
Country
Good topic New2!

Some of the German bobs did have cultural or historical references. Past, that is, the more common references to, say, Chronos or one of Diana's attendants with a hunting horn. The bob below with the castle, from a Bernhard Paschen clock, shows Lichtenstein.

View attachment 435177
I want to add some pics with similar plots:

Noncolored castle Lichtenstein

Замок_7.jpg

Other European objects. I know the names of some of them.
Maybe colleagues from Europe will recognize these pics

Замок_1.jpg Замок_2.jpg Замок_3.png Замок_4.jpg Замок_5.jpg Замок_6.jpg Замок_8.jpg

Regards
Tatyana

Reactions: Ralph and PatH

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
This is a commonly found Ingraham pendulum. It incorporates the rosette design that was often used by Elias Ingraham on his clocks, such as the Doric, Venetian, Grecian, and Ionic, to name a few examples. It was patented December 11, 1877. Oriental clockmakers often copied this pendulum, and Ansonia, I believe, had a similar nickel-colored pendulum.

Faultless Pendulum.JPG Faultless Pendulum Patent.JPG

USD10,340

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Almost forgot this New Haven pendulum.
Champion Pendulum.JPG

It's covered under US238392 granted to Everett Horton (no, not Edward Everett Horton). Note the different positions of the S and F on the patent document and the actual pendulum.

There was also a patent for a similar type of New Haven pendulum granted to Hiram Camp on November 4, 1879, US221213.

jboger

Jan 7, 2019
Country
Addendum to my Post # 35.

As it turns out, I do have a second "oak-leaf" pendulum. A picture of the two is below.

I have looked at the other pendula in this thread. MIne are poor cousins to the many illustrated here.

IMG_2933.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeteABC123
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-