Post your Haller (or Kienzle) clocks here

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by chimeclockfan, Nov 8, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A thread for Haller clocks. I also include Kienzle as many Kienzle clocks used the same movements and compenents as Haller did.

My contribution, of course...

Attached Files:

2. Tony10Clocks

Tony10Clocks Registered User

Aug 10, 2010
    Northant's
    Country Flag:
    #2 Tony10Clocks, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
    This is one i used to have,
    Tony
    And a Kienzle that i no longer have

Attached Files:

3. soaringjoy

soaringjoy Registered User

Feb 12, 2009
    Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Especially for you, CCF. ;)
    A Kienzle.
    Jurgen

Attached Files:

4. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Hi,a Kienzle with the jewekers name on a porcelain placque and from Cairo,Egypt..................on the wall and runs great.
    Bruce

Attached Files:

5. chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had a feeling you'd post that one. :)

That is one of the few case styles Haller didn't use, from what I've seen.

6. soaringjoy

soaringjoy Registered User

Feb 12, 2009
    Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kienzle again, about 1912 I would say.

Patented rack strike, D.R.P. 125605, granted until 1914.

Jurgen

Attached Files:

7. Jay

Jay Registered User

Dec 12, 2007
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One of my Kienzle clocks Gothic style

Jay

Attached Files:

8. Tony10Clocks

Tony10Clocks Registered User

Aug 10, 2010
    Northant's
    Country Flag:
    Here's a Haller 400 day clock
    Tony

Attached Files:

9. mauleg

mauleg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Country Flag:
    #9 mauleg, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    In the proud tradition of thread necromancy, faithfully executed by so many as of late, I hereby resurrect this thread to post an obscure Kienzle mantle clock for your prompt dismissal; this is part one of a 2-part post:

This clock came to me quite dirty and with a broken mainspring:

20180929_112508.jpg 20180929_153451.jpg 20180929_112515.jpg 20180929_153526.jpg

When the original mainspring broke, it bent the second wheel arbor into a nice "S" shape. With the crudest and most primitive of tools and methods, I was able to get it reasonably straight.

The remaining 2 springs were coated in a highly viscous substance most closely resembling tar or blackstrap molasses. Plenty of acetone later, they were ready for polishing with 0000 steel wool, final cleaning and oiling. The springs are removable without disassembling the movement; a nice feature.

Miraculously, there was no need for bushings, as all 3 trains had very little slop, most likely due to lack of use. After disassembly, ultrasonic, pegging, polishing the pivots and various sundry cleaning, the movement was assembled, adjusted and ready to go into the case; getting the strike star wheel in the right place was tricky and took a few tries. Fortunately, the plates line up very easily:

DSCN1004.JPG

Part two will show the completed clock mounted in the case and discuss various interesting attributes of the clock.

10. mauleg

mauleg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Country Flag:
    #10 mauleg, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    Part two, where the movement is shown installed in the case; the bottom panel of the case is held in by 4 screws; the panel must be removed in order to install the movement. The chime block is mounted directly to this panel. Getting the movement into the minimal space allocated for it is a maneuver that would make a contortionist proud.

DSCN1009.JPG DSCN1010.JPG DSCN1011.JPG

Speaking of chimes, the sound of this clock is superb, with great sustain and deep harmonics. The long strike rod is very deep and authoritative and the chimes are overall comparable in sound quality to a French carillon. As I prefer a loud, bright sound, I replaced the worn-out leather in the hammers with 5mm pegwood; my standard practice.

Kienzle wanted to make sure that this movement is securely attached to the case; in addition to the seat board, there's a large top mounting bracket:

DSCN1013.JPG

The case cleaned up well after a scrubbing with GOJO and some mineral oil. There is some alligatoring, but the wood grain still shows through, so no re-amalgamation for this one.:

DSCN1005.JPG DSCN1008.JPG DSCN1015.JPG

The dial on this clock is still in great shape and the applied brass numbers with the black facing make a bold statement:

DSCN1007.JPG

Genuine Kienzle:
    DSCN1016.JPG

Kevin W. and chimeclockfan like this.
  11. chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A superb restoration. Going by the Kienzle signature and patent stamps, this clock was made between March 5 1925 to some point in 1932. The lack of case space for the movement largely owes to the fact this particular movement pattern was originally meant for a larger bracket clock case, being changed little when it was adapted to the tambour cases Kienzle offered. These Kienzle clocks do tend to have great sounding chimes, largely in part due to the specially engineered gong assemblies which Kienzle usually manufactured in-house.

I do have a host of Kienzle mantel chime clocks myself which I'll post up in due time. Out of all the middle-range chime clocks made during the early 20th century, Kienzle's were among the best out there.

12. peanuts

peanuts Registered User

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    Retired
    Shaftesbury, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm about to start restoration of this mantle clock:
    2018-11-29 16.41.42.jpg
    These are the only marks on the rear plate:
    logo.jpg manufactured.jpg
    I think it's a Kienzle, but if someone could confirm that I'd be might grateful.

Simon

13. chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is a Kienzle. Pretty neat little case and not like anything I've run across over here. It is reminiscent of a miniature longcase clock.

14. peanuts

peanuts Registered User

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    Retired
    Shaftesbury, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the confirmation, chimeclockfan. It's just a tad under 14 inches tall, to give you a frame of reference. Are there any clues as to its age, do you think?

Simon

15. chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would say late 1920's to mid 1930's going by the movement signatures.

16. peanuts

peanuts Registered User

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    Retired
    Shaftesbury, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks again, chimeclockfan. When I get it out of the case I'll see if there are any other markings. It's a non-runner at the moment but with no obvious damage. I'll post another picture when I've restored it.

Simon

17. peanuts

peanuts Registered User

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    Retired
    Shaftesbury, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This cleaned up nicely. No bushings needed, but the springs were bone dry so I suspect that was the reason it wouldn't run.
    2018-12-12 09.50.31.jpg 2018-12-07 12.25.49.jpg 2018-12-07 11.54.07.jpg 2018-12-04 16.03.37.jpg

chimeclockfan likes this.
  18. chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A job well done. :coolsign:

Meanwhile my own contribution to this thread... this is a Kienzle Westminster chime mantel clock made in 1932 according to a date scribbled on the case interior. It uses a development of Movement X, basically Kienzle's answer to small American chime movements such as the Seth Thomas 124. The case is neat and petite. Movement mounts into a cast iron frame with removable plugs to take the dial off. The wire lift hammers are another typical Americanized feature, giving a stronger hammer blow and subsequently louder sound.

DSCN0021.JPG DSCN0008.JPG DSCN0016.JPG

19. peanuts

peanuts Registered User

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    Retired
    Shaftesbury, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's a sweet clock @chimeclockfan, with a nice pristine face. Looks like nice engineering too.

The face on mine is showing its age; not sure I can do much about that.

20. mauleg

mauleg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for posting, chimeclockfan. Interesting to observe the similarities and differences compared to the slightly earlier movement:
    • The rods being mounted to a removable bottom panel;
    • The style of the applied numbers;
    • The move from direct cam actuated to wire lift hammers

21. chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A rather belated but much admired addition to the collection. Started off as a loose movement but now complete with suitable case and gong block. It took some effort to get everything aligned and adjusted to suit but I am pleased with how it all turned out. Pendulum is not shown for the photo as the clock has yet to be hung up - it is not good to have the pendulum crashing into the gong rods when the clock is not mounted level.
    The case is well constructed and proportioned. I was surprised to find fully-turned columns instead of those which are split down halfway.

CLOCK.jpg

22. peanuts

peanuts Registered User

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    Retired
    Shaftesbury, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice – thanks for sharing!

chimeclockfan likes this.